My husband and I are planning to visit Switzerland during the 3rd week of June. We have researched several potential itineraries on different websites, travel forums, etc. to come up with the following itinerary. We want to experience the countryside and also do some scenic tours. We would greatly appreciate your help/suggestions/recommendations.
Day 1 - Arrive at Frankfurt at 3PM. Rent a car and travel to Stuttgart (visit family and friends). Overnight stay in Stuttgart.
Day 2 - Start early morning from Stuttgart and drive by the same rental car to Lauterbrunnen. Tour the surrounding areas, villages, waterfalls etc. Check-in to hotel for overnight stay.
Day 3 - Start early morning for Zermatt. Spend the entire day touring surrounding areas in Zermatt, Matterhorn. Return to Lauterbrunnen for overnight stay.
Day 4 - Check out of hotel in Lauterbrunnen. Drive to Lucerne. Make a trip to the mountains (Pilatus or Titlis). Spend any remaining time exploring the area around mountains or Lucerne. Return to Lucerne and check-in to hotel for overnight stay.
Day 5 - Leave early morning to Chur to catch the Bernina Express, Chur-Tirano. Reach Tirano by 12PM. Take the Bernina Express Bus from Tirano - Lugano at 2PM and reach Lugano by 5PM. Spend few hours in Lugano before returning to Lucerne. (This is going to be the longest day of the tour with significant traveling)
Day 6 - Check out of hotel in morning. Start from Lucerne and drive by car to Zurich to just look around the city for a couple of hours. Start from Zurich by afternoon and drive back to Stuttgart. Overnight stay with family/friends.
Day 7 - Early morning start from Stuttgart and drive by same rental car to Frankfurt. Reach Frankfurt by 10AM, return rental car and catch next flight.
We are planning to book hotels where free parking is available for our rental car. We plan to buy Swiss passes for both of us since we think it will be cheaper than buying tickets for each point A-to-point B journey.
Regarding touring the Lauterbrunnen area, we plan to drive straight to the car park and leave it there until evening on Day 2 till we check-in to the hotel. The plan for Day 3 is tentative: if we feel like spending more time in the Lauterbrunnen area, we will stay there, else we would be doing the day trip to Zermatt.
Please post your comments/suggestions/changes to this itinerary.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 2 WEEK EUROPE ITINERARY
- 2 Affordable 1 year French courses in France? Recommendations?
- 3 London: Travel Alert for Kings Cross Station!
- 4 'Brellies on "Standby." Dublin!
- 5 How many nights in Verona and Bologna?
- 6 Andalucia itinerary help
- 7 Cornwall Advice
- 8 Paris with a toddler and a baby
- 9 Weighing hand luggage at CDG security now
- 10 Portugal and Spain itinerary help!
- 11 Nafplio to Hydra
- 12 Via del Sale, Italy
- 13 New York Kennedy to Rome Fiumicino Airport Terminals Clarification
- 14 Best place to view alps from Italy
- 15 Upcoming trip to Penzance, Cornwall
- 16 8ish days Zurich to Como...
- 17 Proposed itinerary for Iceland
- 18 Following the Canadian Liberation Route in the Netherlands
- 19 Looking for suggestions car trip starting Amsterdam to nice
- 20 Trump alleged to be "keen" for US to join Commonwealth
- 21 Well with itinerary North East Italy (again please!)
- 22 Acorn TV and Whatsapp
- 23 Six Days on the Road in Ireland...Ideas?
- 24 "Never Mind"
- 25 Connecting flight time in Europe