My husband and I are planning to visit Switzerland during the 3rd week of June. We have researched several potential itineraries on different websites, travel forums, etc. to come up with the following itinerary. We want to experience the countryside and also do some scenic tours. We would greatly appreciate your help/suggestions/recommendations.
Day 1 - Arrive at Frankfurt at 3PM. Rent a car and travel to Stuttgart (visit family and friends). Overnight stay in Stuttgart.
Day 2 - Start early morning from Stuttgart and drive by the same rental car to Lauterbrunnen. Tour the surrounding areas, villages, waterfalls etc. Check-in to hotel for overnight stay.
Day 3 - Start early morning for Zermatt. Spend the entire day touring surrounding areas in Zermatt, Matterhorn. Return to Lauterbrunnen for overnight stay.
Day 4 - Check out of hotel in Lauterbrunnen. Drive to Lucerne. Make a trip to the mountains (Pilatus or Titlis). Spend any remaining time exploring the area around mountains or Lucerne. Return to Lucerne and check-in to hotel for overnight stay.
Day 5 - Leave early morning to Chur to catch the Bernina Express, Chur-Tirano. Reach Tirano by 12PM. Take the Bernina Express Bus from Tirano - Lugano at 2PM and reach Lugano by 5PM. Spend few hours in Lugano before returning to Lucerne. (This is going to be the longest day of the tour with significant traveling)
Day 6 - Check out of hotel in morning. Start from Lucerne and drive by car to Zurich to just look around the city for a couple of hours. Start from Zurich by afternoon and drive back to Stuttgart. Overnight stay with family/friends.
Day 7 - Early morning start from Stuttgart and drive by same rental car to Frankfurt. Reach Frankfurt by 10AM, return rental car and catch next flight.
We are planning to book hotels where free parking is available for our rental car. We plan to buy Swiss passes for both of us since we think it will be cheaper than buying tickets for each point A-to-point B journey.
Regarding touring the Lauterbrunnen area, we plan to drive straight to the car park and leave it there until evening on Day 2 till we check-in to the hotel. The plan for Day 3 is tentative: if we feel like spending more time in the Lauterbrunnen area, we will stay there, else we would be doing the day trip to Zermatt.
Please post your comments/suggestions/changes to this itinerary.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Driving in Italy
- 2 Choosing Greek Island Base for island hopping
- 3 Bruges, Ghent or Brussels?
- 4 Spain, Portugal trip planning
- 5 Tips for tour company tour guides
- 6 Three Weeks in Italy - So Excited!
- 7 London, Brussels, France, Berner Oberland and Vienna (in 72 days)
- 8 Train travel to and from Paris
- 9 TRIP REPORT: Paris, Bordeaux, Dordogne, Toulouse, Provence, and more
- 10 Use of Train Tickets
- 11 MaiTaiTom Gets The Royal Treatment…Two Weeks Exploring London and Scotland
- 12 4 Greek islands- best way to hop?
- 13 Paris and England, 14 days on the ground
- 14 First Trip to Paris
- 15 Andalucia Spain
- 16 Amsterdam and...?
- 17 European Sampler, 4 weeks, 6 countries?
- 18 Swiss Trains not on time and boats not run at all - great time
- 19 Bastille Day Fireworks, Paris
- 20 Naxos experts - pros and cons of Kymata vs. Agios Prokopios Hotel
- 21 2 days in Amsterdam after river cruise
- 22 Bus Nice Airport to Frejus
- 23 Advice on Spring/Fall trips to Scotland and Alsace
- 24 Best tour or day trip from EL Ferrol Spain
- 25 One week road trip Santiago de Compostela-Lisbon itinerary advice needed