I am considering taking a side trip from Helsinki to St. Petersburg on St. Peterline, which is an overnight ferry / "cruise". You get the day to see St. Petersburg, then return overnight to Helsinki. The company advertises that the visit to Russia is visa-free because it is less than 72 hours and you are visiting via a "cruise". Apparently, this is a new twist to the Russian visa laws (I think only since 2010).
Here is the link to the company: http://www.stpeterline.com/en/OnBoard/News.aspx
My questions are:
-- Has anyone taken this trip? What is the border like on the Russian side? Do you have to clear customs? Did you have any trouble being "visa-free"? How long were the lines exiting the port / re-entering the port? What time did you have to be back on the boat? Was the boat on time?
-- Did you have any troubles finding the right bus to get back to the port?
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 written guide for Olympia
- 2 In Search of Montalbano - the ups and downs of 10 days in Eastern Sicily
- 3 Lots of walking, amazing scenery & wine - 3 weeks France & Germany.
- 4 Catalonia: 14 days in September
- 5 Trip Report and Photos - The Baltics – Tallinn, Riga and Vilnius
- 6 Naxos hotel question
- 7 Another "Beware of Cab RipOff" Story
- 8 England and Wales by public transport
- 9 St. Moritz best intermediate skiing
- 10 Help Planning Seot 2017 Trip to Andalusia
- 11 EATING IN LISBON..first visit
- 12 Visiting Carcassonne without a car
- 13 Europe Itinerary
- 14 Letter from the Belgian Embassy
- 15 Loire Valley itinerary
- 16 Amsterdam/Indonesian restaurants
- 17 Is International Drivers Permit in Spain Required
- 18 Phone cards
- 19 St. Wolfgang/Hallstatt/Berchtesgaden from Salzburg
- 20 Oktoberfest 2016 What to expect
- 21 Pylos to Corinth with two days to spare, perhaps in Arcadia?
- 22 Is it safe to take train from CDG by 10 PM?
- 23 Transfer in CDG - claim our baggage & do passport control??
- 24 Tuscany in late Oct / early Nov 2016?
- 25 Anyone done a self-drive boat canal/river trip in France (or elsewhere)?