I am considering taking a side trip from Helsinki to St. Petersburg on St. Peterline, which is an overnight ferry / "cruise". You get the day to see St. Petersburg, then return overnight to Helsinki. The company advertises that the visit to Russia is visa-free because it is less than 72 hours and you are visiting via a "cruise". Apparently, this is a new twist to the Russian visa laws (I think only since 2010).
Here is the link to the company: http://www.stpeterline.com/en/OnBoard/News.aspx
My questions are:
-- Has anyone taken this trip? What is the border like on the Russian side? Do you have to clear customs? Did you have any trouble being "visa-free"? How long were the lines exiting the port / re-entering the port? What time did you have to be back on the boat? Was the boat on time?
-- Did you have any troubles finding the right bus to get back to the port?
St. Peterline ferry from Helsinki to St. Petersburg
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 London, Vienna, Prague Trip Report -- Part 5 First Full Day in Vienna
- 2 Train from Barcelona-Saints to Estacio de Franca
- 3 London, Vienna, Prague Trip Report -- Part 4 First Evening in Vienna
- 4 hotel near Tivoli Gardens in Copenhagen
- 5 Three weeks in Italy with a two-year old
- 6 Paris or Rome in March or possibly September/October
- 7 Monet's Giverny
- 8 10 nights in Southern Spain: Itinerary & Questions
- 9 Cookware in France
- 10 Vespa Tour - Florence
- 11 apartment
- 12 Biking from The Hague to Rotterdam
- 13 Possible London GTG between April 28/May1
- 14 Vaucluse Lavander
- 15 Recommended drivers for Tuscany
- 16 Tuscany-private driver for hire?
- 17 Pilgrim Churches of the Llyn Peninsula
- 18 Taxi from CDG to Paris for 4. Cost?
- 19 English language info/site for Belgium bus services
- 20 Powerscourt OR Glendalough?
- 21 Switzerland - where to for this trip?
- 22 Ireland train system: first class??
- 23 Anciet Brits Were Cannibals
- 24 Welltravbrit's London Sojourn - An Ongoing Trip Report
- 25 Taormina & Mt Etna