I am considering taking a side trip from Helsinki to St. Petersburg on St. Peterline, which is an overnight ferry / "cruise". You get the day to see St. Petersburg, then return overnight to Helsinki. The company advertises that the visit to Russia is visa-free because it is less than 72 hours and you are visiting via a "cruise". Apparently, this is a new twist to the Russian visa laws (I think only since 2010).
Here is the link to the company: http://www.stpeterline.com/en/OnBoard/News.aspx
My questions are:
-- Has anyone taken this trip? What is the border like on the Russian side? Do you have to clear customs? Did you have any trouble being "visa-free"? How long were the lines exiting the port / re-entering the port? What time did you have to be back on the boat? Was the boat on time?
-- Did you have any troubles finding the right bus to get back to the port?
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 T Mobile Does it Again
- 2 Here I plan again....Amsterdam
- 3 Melk/Wachau Day Trip from Vienna
- 4 Sweden, Denmark or Both ? 8 days in Aug
- 5 8 days in Madrid/Sevilla/Granada
- 6 Switzerland Itinerary - cheese making?
- 7 Seville Itinerary
- 8 Trip Report: Edinburgh, York, Cornwall and Highclere
- 9 Scotland: Bluebells and Gorse, Castles and Stones, and NO Rain!
- 10 Athens or So. Spain in winter
- 11 Dolomites October 14-18
- 12 Parisian hotel lobby goes on the attack
- 13 Italy by car
- 14 Florence 2 weeks
- 15 Milan overnight or not en route to MXP with 2 kids
- 16 Santorini
- 17 One in Paris ... help
- 18 Bern, Switzerland: Anything Open on Jan 1st?
- 19 Help planning!! 3 days between Kandersteg & Interlaken
- 20 Which order should I travel
- 21 Which order should I travel
- 22 Which order should I travel
- 23 Strasbourg sights and day trips
- 24 Train questions for Switzerland
- 25 First timers to Italy