I'm concerned about my son making it through the Vatican in August without suffering too much from the heat in long pants. I googled whether children are allowed to wear shorts and found this on one website:
"A dress code for St. Peter's is enforced. No bare shoulders, no shorts above the knees (this includes guys). Kids may be allowed in wearing shorts, but not bare shoulders (bring a T-shirt along to cover them up)."
This is not an official Vatican website and it only says they "may" be allowed in. Does anyone have experience with this?
I also saw this on a fodors thread, "Son was kept from going into the Vatican wearing shorts. A vendor across the street was selling paper pants." I guess that answers my question, but can someone describe these paper pants? Do they sell them in child sizes or is the waist adjustable?
I'm not in any way opposed to following the dress code and being respectful, I just want to help my son stay as cool as possible while also being respectful.
I also saw zip off pants suggested, of course that's a possibility.
Thanks in advance!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 How many nights to spend in Granada and Malaga & a few other questions
- 2 Stop between Umbria and Firenze
- 3 A few days outside Rome
- 4 days and times when museums and suchlike close
- 5 UK in July -- early planning stages
- 6 Rome, Florence and Venice for each city 2 days
- 7 Bern to Munich, BlaBla Car & Dresden
- 8 CDG airport and connection time
- 9 Paris getaway with my daughter hotel ideas
- 10 Paris Metro
- 11 Planning to visit Barcelona and Paris
- 12 Single mom w/ 8 mo baby traveling to Paris and London
- 13 2 week trip to Lisbon, Porto, Douro, seeking input
- 14 January Sicily and exploding cornetto al cioccolato
- 15 3-4 days Netherland trip
- 16 Another northern Italy itinerary.
- 17 Iceland 9 Days Late March - Review Itinerary!
- 18 Itinerary help needed: 10-11 days in Calabria, Siciily, and (maybe) Puglia
- 19 EATING IN LISBON..first visit
- 20 kimhe or others - flamenco rec in Sevilla?
- 21 getting to CDG
- 22 Day trips ideas from Lausanne, Switzerland
- 23 Cambrils
- 24 Scotland 10 Nights - Trying To Narrow Down Where To Go & Stay
- 25 Amalfi Coast help
Shorts for 9 YO at Vatican? Or fill me in on "paper pants".