I'm concerned about my son making it through the Vatican in August without suffering too much from the heat in long pants. I googled whether children are allowed to wear shorts and found this on one website:
"A dress code for St. Peter's is enforced. No bare shoulders, no shorts above the knees (this includes guys). Kids may be allowed in wearing shorts, but not bare shoulders (bring a T-shirt along to cover them up)."
This is not an official Vatican website and it only says they "may" be allowed in. Does anyone have experience with this?
I also saw this on a fodors thread, "Son was kept from going into the Vatican wearing shorts. A vendor across the street was selling paper pants." I guess that answers my question, but can someone describe these paper pants? Do they sell them in child sizes or is the waist adjustable?
I'm not in any way opposed to following the dress code and being respectful, I just want to help my son stay as cool as possible while also being respectful.
I also saw zip off pants suggested, of course that's a possibility.
Thanks in advance!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Canal du Midi
- 2 One Month in Italy - Where would you base yourself?
- 3 Ireland road trip in June: Where to stop?
- 4 Naples/The Amalfi Coast...and Sicily?
- 5 Americans moving to Europe - Suggestions?
- 6 A few days in Naples - what a great city
- 7 Aix-- looking for a few obscure ideas
- 8 Mini trip report - a week in London
- 9 Switzerland/Italy (2 weeks vacations)
- 10 Help me plan a 2 week trip to London and the Edinburgh Fringe Festival!
- 11 Lamezia Terme, Italy
- 12 Looking for a unique 3 days in Venice
- 13 Driving (hire car) in Paris, France, Belgium
- 14 Driving from Rennes to Geneva
- 15 Praiano
- 16 Day trips to Windsor Castle and Hampton Court from London
- 17 Seeking Andalusia itinerary recommendation
- 18 Ireland last minute recommendations
- 19 Family vacation to europe
- 20 Best way from London to Gatwick these days?
- 21 Cotswolds, UK -10 days - end of May'17 move or central base
- 22 Review Final Iceland Itinerary Please
- 23 Need help completing my itinerary. So Much to see!
- 24 Favorite restaurants, Florence
- 25 Can I do Stonehenge and Bath from Isle of Wight in 1 day?
Shorts for 9 YO at Vatican? Or fill me in on "paper pants".