We're spending half of our long-awaited honeymoon in September in Italy. We're arriving in Rome on Monday early evening - and leaving from Venice on Sunday early evening.
I had an itinerary of places I wanted to go, but I'm slightly terrified by all of the stories of traffic fines in Italy.
I won't be driving. My fiance is an excellent, confident driver (he's also a mechanic and has driven in Europe [Greece] in previous vacations and loves it), but I'm scared of the ZTL's and traffic cameras. So much so that I'm considering avoiding the heavy touristy towns all together.
My original plan was Rome to Florence, Florence to Tuscany, and then Tuscany to Venice (returning the rental car on Friday in Venice and leaving Venice Sunday). Spending about 1.5 / 2 days in each city.
Now, I'm thinking we don't bother with a rental in Rome (cab or bus from airport?) until we're leaving Rome, and maybe we just head from Rome to Tuscany and then Venice (skipping Florence) and leaving our car in Venice.
I really didn't have anything that I HAD to see in Italy, I've just been dying to experience the sights, sounds and tastes of Italy in general. It's always held a draw for me.
We're spending the second half of our honeymoon in Greece (my fiance has family there and speaks Greek) so it's much more familiar territory for us than Italy.
Can anyone help with suggestions/comments? Is the driving really that bad and are ZTL's really that hard to avoid?
Thank you for your input
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Paris - Top Foodie Eats? Staying near Le Marais
- 2 Italy in January?
- 3 Dordogne for 6 full days in early September itinerary for comment!
- 4 Recommendations
- 5 PORTO (???) combine with Galicia??
- 6 Please help: Swiss Pass/Lucerne/Engadine?
- 7 Paris- restaurant
- 8 4 Days in Europe! Paris, Lisbon, or...?
- 9 Searching for a restaurant in Le Marais for Sunday lunch in August
- 10 Short Trip in Spain taggin along work trip
- 11 Milan/Venice/Florence in October?
- 12 4 nights in Provence, advice
- 13 Iceland car rental agencies
- 14 Day Trip to Capri: Advice Needed
- 15 Happy birthday ATM
- 16 15 day honeymoon trip in December
- 17 Scotland & UK: 2 weeks with Sheep & Cows
- 18 Car Service, CDG to Paris hotel.
- 19 Trip to Barcelona, london, Paris, and Amsterdam/Dublin
- 20 Sicily in 3 Weeks
- 21 Cortona -- just a passing thought
- 22 David's Abbreviated Iceland Trip Report
- 23 Trouble Getting from Tours to Orly
- 24 Madrid/Andalucia Trip
- 25 Can I visit Rotterdam on a 6h40 min layover in Schiphol?