We're spending half of our long-awaited honeymoon in September in Italy. We're arriving in Rome on Monday early evening - and leaving from Venice on Sunday early evening.
I had an itinerary of places I wanted to go, but I'm slightly terrified by all of the stories of traffic fines in Italy.
I won't be driving. My fiance is an excellent, confident driver (he's also a mechanic and has driven in Europe [Greece] in previous vacations and loves it), but I'm scared of the ZTL's and traffic cameras. So much so that I'm considering avoiding the heavy touristy towns all together.
My original plan was Rome to Florence, Florence to Tuscany, and then Tuscany to Venice (returning the rental car on Friday in Venice and leaving Venice Sunday). Spending about 1.5 / 2 days in each city.
Now, I'm thinking we don't bother with a rental in Rome (cab or bus from airport?) until we're leaving Rome, and maybe we just head from Rome to Tuscany and then Venice (skipping Florence) and leaving our car in Venice.
I really didn't have anything that I HAD to see in Italy, I've just been dying to experience the sights, sounds and tastes of Italy in general. It's always held a draw for me.
We're spending the second half of our honeymoon in Greece (my fiance has family there and speaks Greek) so it's much more familiar territory for us than Italy.
Can anyone help with suggestions/comments? Is the driving really that bad and are ZTL's really that hard to avoid?
Thank you for your input
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Tuscany Itinerary
- 2 Area for a 2 Week Stay in Malaga
- 3 Places to stop/stay?
- 4 Problem using American bank card in Turkey
- 5 Visit to Sardinia
- 6 driving from London to Lourdes
- 7 ATM
- 8 Seeking scenic route from Bala, Wales to london
- 9 Renting a car for France thru BritishAirways.com instead of AutoEurope
- 10 TIM in FCO - update
- 11 Visa Query
- 12 London in Winter Report
- 13 My thoughts go to Manchester
- 14 Denied entry to UK; could this give me problems going to Estonia?
- 15 Allocating time in Barcelona - Gaudi tickets
- 16 Legal documents assistants
- 17 Is skip the queue for Versailles worth it
- 18 ATM help
- 19 Solo in Paris and looking for the best neighborhood
- 20 First family holiday to Europe & wanting advice
- 21 London is it worth it?
- 22 Montserrat Express
- 23 FIndng Vintage French Workwear in Paris
- 24 Greek honeymoon: He wants sightseeing, she wants beaches
- 25 Inside the Red Light District so you don't have to be