We're spending half of our long-awaited honeymoon in September in Italy. We're arriving in Rome on Monday early evening - and leaving from Venice on Sunday early evening.
I had an itinerary of places I wanted to go, but I'm slightly terrified by all of the stories of traffic fines in Italy.
I won't be driving. My fiance is an excellent, confident driver (he's also a mechanic and has driven in Europe [Greece] in previous vacations and loves it), but I'm scared of the ZTL's and traffic cameras. So much so that I'm considering avoiding the heavy touristy towns all together.
My original plan was Rome to Florence, Florence to Tuscany, and then Tuscany to Venice (returning the rental car on Friday in Venice and leaving Venice Sunday). Spending about 1.5 / 2 days in each city.
Now, I'm thinking we don't bother with a rental in Rome (cab or bus from airport?) until we're leaving Rome, and maybe we just head from Rome to Tuscany and then Venice (skipping Florence) and leaving our car in Venice.
I really didn't have anything that I HAD to see in Italy, I've just been dying to experience the sights, sounds and tastes of Italy in general. It's always held a draw for me.
We're spending the second half of our honeymoon in Greece (my fiance has family there and speaks Greek) so it's much more familiar territory for us than Italy.
Can anyone help with suggestions/comments? Is the driving really that bad and are ZTL's really that hard to avoid?
Thank you for your input
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 cell phone companys
- 2 Beaches in Southern France
- 3 Brixen/ Bressanone: ideas for a few days?
- 4 Stores that sell Knorr products in Munich?
- 5 Swinoujscie Ferry Arrival
- 6 Heat wave in Paris? Learn to live with it!
- 7 Travel between Paris, Normandy and Brugges
- 8 Travel to Karlsrhue
- 9 3 days to spend in europe
- 10 Budget stay in or around Heidelberg
- 11 Day Trip to Greenland from Reykjavik
- 12 Traveling from Sicily, Italy to Greece
- 13 Amalfi Coast or the Lakes and where to fit in France?
- 14 Affordable French language course in France?
- 15 Budapest on a budget
- 16 Staying in or around Koblenz?
- 17 Roundabout from "European Vacation" movie?
- 18 Italy in October
- 19 Buying Louis Vuitton Handbag
- 20 Cotswald boutique hotel recommendations
- 21 Vizeat -- Anybody tried it?
- 22 Why doesn't anyone talk about staying in the 2nd arr in Paris? Am I blind?
- 23 anyone use 'NO JET LAG' ?
- 24 Seeking suggestions: Bavaria, Austria, Prague Trip in Fall
- 25 Car Rental at Malaga Port