We're spending half of our long-awaited honeymoon in September in Italy. We're arriving in Rome on Monday early evening - and leaving from Venice on Sunday early evening.
I had an itinerary of places I wanted to go, but I'm slightly terrified by all of the stories of traffic fines in Italy.
I won't be driving. My fiance is an excellent, confident driver (he's also a mechanic and has driven in Europe [Greece] in previous vacations and loves it), but I'm scared of the ZTL's and traffic cameras. So much so that I'm considering avoiding the heavy touristy towns all together.
My original plan was Rome to Florence, Florence to Tuscany, and then Tuscany to Venice (returning the rental car on Friday in Venice and leaving Venice Sunday). Spending about 1.5 / 2 days in each city.
Now, I'm thinking we don't bother with a rental in Rome (cab or bus from airport?) until we're leaving Rome, and maybe we just head from Rome to Tuscany and then Venice (skipping Florence) and leaving our car in Venice.
I really didn't have anything that I HAD to see in Italy, I've just been dying to experience the sights, sounds and tastes of Italy in general. It's always held a draw for me.
We're spending the second half of our honeymoon in Greece (my fiance has family there and speaks Greek) so it's much more familiar territory for us than Italy.
Can anyone help with suggestions/comments? Is the driving really that bad and are ZTL's really that hard to avoid?
Thank you for your input
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Pompei, Naples and...Sorrento?
- 2 Paris to Italy
- 3 London flat rental: the more I research, the more frustrating it becomes
- 4 Requesting feedback on proposed itinerary—London, Cornwall, and Wales, June 2018
- 5 Barcelona alternative
- 6 FRANCE 10 YEARS ON: Paris Dordogne Albi Toulouse Arles S Rhone and Nice
- 7 He Musta Saw Us a-Comin': A Brief, Cautionary Tale about Taxis in Rome
- 8 13 Nights Greece, first time, April 2018. HELP
- 9 Apple Pay on London Transit
- 10 Iceland early december visit
- 11 Frankfurt to UK
- 12 Christmas Markets France/Germany
- 13 God Save the Queen?
- 14 Road trip with our dog
- 15 Milan or Turin
- 16 Train from Polgate to St Pancras
- 17 Ger’s Italian Trip Report: Padua, Ferrara, Siena, Perugia and Florence
- 18 9 Days in Spain
- 19 Itinerary for 5 adults, 3 kids, 2 weeks, & 1 holiday adventure!
- 20 Charming movie to watch if you've visited Erice in Sicily
- 21 Visiting Plitivce National Park
- 22 Mantova, Ravenna, Brisighella, Bologna
- 23 Spanish Medical Providers
- 24 Italy Car Scam
- 25 Undiscovered Places in Paris