We're spending half of our long-awaited honeymoon in September in Italy. We're arriving in Rome on Monday early evening - and leaving from Venice on Sunday early evening.
I had an itinerary of places I wanted to go, but I'm slightly terrified by all of the stories of traffic fines in Italy.
I won't be driving. My fiance is an excellent, confident driver (he's also a mechanic and has driven in Europe [Greece] in previous vacations and loves it), but I'm scared of the ZTL's and traffic cameras. So much so that I'm considering avoiding the heavy touristy towns all together.
My original plan was Rome to Florence, Florence to Tuscany, and then Tuscany to Venice (returning the rental car on Friday in Venice and leaving Venice Sunday). Spending about 1.5 / 2 days in each city.
Now, I'm thinking we don't bother with a rental in Rome (cab or bus from airport?) until we're leaving Rome, and maybe we just head from Rome to Tuscany and then Venice (skipping Florence) and leaving our car in Venice.
I really didn't have anything that I HAD to see in Italy, I've just been dying to experience the sights, sounds and tastes of Italy in general. It's always held a draw for me.
We're spending the second half of our honeymoon in Greece (my fiance has family there and speaks Greek) so it's much more familiar territory for us than Italy.
Can anyone help with suggestions/comments? Is the driving really that bad and are ZTL's really that hard to avoid?
Thank you for your input
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Plitvice Lakes - is it worth it for a short visit?
- 2 December in Deutschland
- 3 If your question is "Is This Trip Crazy?"
- 4 Relaxing destinations?
- 5 Best places for 21 day family vacay w/ 5 year old?
- 6 Rome, Florence, Venice and back to Rome in 5 days...doable?
- 7 8 day outdoorsy Itinerary Help (Lake Geneva, Bernese Oberland)
- 8 Just beginning to plan trip to Croatia
- 9 Have You Ever Been Robbed in Europe?
- 10 Driving Tour - Bari to Bologna
- 11 3 Night Stopover mid September - What to see/do?
- 12 30 Days in France with Family (6 y/o, 23 mo), what city to stay?
- 13 The unrequested appetizers in Portugal
- 14 Can you recommend a hotel in Paris? What about Hotel Spendide Etoile?
- 15 Rome & Florence, 10-12 days or so
- 16 Please Help! Europe in 5 days!
- 17 Suggestions for our Itinerary for June in Italy
- 18 Norway night train questions for Norway in a nutshell
- 19 First trip to London and Paris, need your comments
- 20 Scotland Highlands
- 21 Four people, three countries, two weeks
- 22 Please help with Itinerary draft for 29 days in France
- 23 Lazing it in Lisbon; Notes and Rambling Thoughts from and Extended Stay
- 24 Current Paris vacation rental news...
- 25 Novice needs help with Italy itinerary