We're spending half of our long-awaited honeymoon in September in Italy. We're arriving in Rome on Monday early evening - and leaving from Venice on Sunday early evening.
I had an itinerary of places I wanted to go, but I'm slightly terrified by all of the stories of traffic fines in Italy.
I won't be driving. My fiance is an excellent, confident driver (he's also a mechanic and has driven in Europe [Greece] in previous vacations and loves it), but I'm scared of the ZTL's and traffic cameras. So much so that I'm considering avoiding the heavy touristy towns all together.
My original plan was Rome to Florence, Florence to Tuscany, and then Tuscany to Venice (returning the rental car on Friday in Venice and leaving Venice Sunday). Spending about 1.5 / 2 days in each city.
Now, I'm thinking we don't bother with a rental in Rome (cab or bus from airport?) until we're leaving Rome, and maybe we just head from Rome to Tuscany and then Venice (skipping Florence) and leaving our car in Venice.
I really didn't have anything that I HAD to see in Italy, I've just been dying to experience the sights, sounds and tastes of Italy in general. It's always held a draw for me.
We're spending the second half of our honeymoon in Greece (my fiance has family there and speaks Greek) so it's much more familiar territory for us than Italy.
Can anyone help with suggestions/comments? Is the driving really that bad and are ZTL's really that hard to avoid?
Thank you for your input
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Favorite restaurants in Paris
- 2 Iceland in 4 days?
- 3 Tuscan Winery Suggestions
- 4 Europe itinerary
- 5 Four favorite things to do in Paris during the Christmas holidays
- 6 Southern Italy
- 7 Sept Help Needed Hotels & Timing: Budapest, Prague, Berlin, Amsterdam
- 8 Day in Dublin with Private Guide
- 9 Favorite restaurants in Barcelona, Seville, Granada, San Sebastian
- 10 Favorite restaurants in Amsterdam
- 11 European Travel in March
- 12 Madrid city centre?
- 13 Barcelona extension
- 14 Ireland driving itinerary
- 15 Slovania & Croatia
- 16 French Gov't Passes New Labor Law Despite...
- 17 Paris, the Bernese Oberland, and Bavaria with 2 kids
- 18 Barcelona Car rental return
- 19 Help needed for Netherlands itinerary please
- 20 Manchester on derby weekend
- 21 BIKE AND BARGE
- 22 Trip Report with Kids: Germany/Austria/Benelux
- 23 Restaurants and sights in Puglia
- 24 Ian McKellen & Patrick Stewart in No Man's Land
- 25 The nieces take Bruce and Marija to Paris, Venice and London