I have been looking into options and wanted to get some views. After 1 week in Paris (staying in the 3rd arrondissement) we need to get to our rental property in St-Vincent-de-Cosse (near Sarlat). There are no flights from Orly as this will be a Saturday. We will be with our 2 children (ages 6 and 8).
So we can either take the train or drive. The best train option seems to be the direct train from Paris to Brive where we can pick up our rental car. Or we could somehow get to Paris outskirts and pick up a rental car to drive from there (with a lunch stop in Loire area?).
Any views on what would be better with the kids? Is driving more scenic? Or train is better because of less hassle and we can get to gare d'Austerlitz relatively easily?
Based on other posts it looks like the 10 am train to Brive is best as it will arrive when the car rental office will reopen after lunch. I saw another routing via Libourne but it seems even longer (despite part of the trip being on the TGV). Mind you maybe TGV would be most fun with kids?
Lastly any tips on finding the cheapest fares? Booking directly on SNCF 3 months out?
Merci a l'avance!
Paris to Sarlat area--train or rental car
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 economy car rentals
- 2 Air France strike
- 3 visit a working farm in Southern Ireland
- 4 Barcelona free tours??
- 5 Voltage in UK and France
- 6 18 days - Turkey, Greece and Italy
- 7 Madrid Apartment Rentals
- 8 Eleanor's Pages
- 9 Renfe site
- 10 Giverny in early October?
- 11 Hurtigruten Cruise excursions alternatives, coast of Norway
- 12 4-5 Days in Switzerland before Paris? Is Berne the place to go?
- 13 Montreuil, Rue Colbert
- 14 Spain Night Train in Recliner
- 15 london in 2.5 days
- 16 Last minute ideas anyone?
- 17 Nuit Blanche 2014
- 18 Spain - looking for a historic town and beach town
- 19 Another Maitai Pre-Adventure Conundrum
- 20 Alterations to night trains routes
- 21 Interested In Coach Passes
- 22 Amsterdam neighborhood to stay for 2 weeks
- 23 Where to stay one night during our drive from Amboise to Avignon?
- 24 Two Days in Prague
- 25 URGENT HELP- Traveling soon for Croatia, B & H, Slovenia, Montenegro