I have been looking into options and wanted to get some views. After 1 week in Paris (staying in the 3rd arrondissement) we need to get to our rental property in St-Vincent-de-Cosse (near Sarlat). There are no flights from Orly as this will be a Saturday. We will be with our 2 children (ages 6 and 8).
So we can either take the train or drive. The best train option seems to be the direct train from Paris to Brive where we can pick up our rental car. Or we could somehow get to Paris outskirts and pick up a rental car to drive from there (with a lunch stop in Loire area?).
Any views on what would be better with the kids? Is driving more scenic? Or train is better because of less hassle and we can get to gare d'Austerlitz relatively easily?
Based on other posts it looks like the 10 am train to Brive is best as it will arrive when the car rental office will reopen after lunch. I saw another routing via Libourne but it seems even longer (despite part of the trip being on the TGV). Mind you maybe TGV would be most fun with kids?
Lastly any tips on finding the cheapest fares? Booking directly on SNCF 3 months out?
Merci a l'avance!
Paris to Sarlat area--train or rental car
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 What to do during Christmas in Paris?
- 2 Suggestions for Scandinavian Movies, Radio and Music. Can you help?
- 3 Amazon 50% off sale on Rosetta Stone German
- 4 Tips for Chamonix in June?
- 5 Help With Vienna
- 6 Another Trip of Discovery of Feminine Charm with DW and DD the Younger
- 7 No Starbucks in Italy?
- 8 Beaune to Chamonix to Paris---driving/train?
- 9 Flying from Paris to London: logistics help?
- 10 Backpacking Europe in the Winter
- 11 Turkey Family Vacation packages From India.
- 12 Solo Scotland May 2014
- 13 FREE SATNAV WORLDWIDE with OFFLINE NAVIGATION on Windows 8 phones
- 14 Which European Countries Speak the Most English?
- 15 How safe is "Combe Laval Road" or ROUTE DE GENTLY to drive a car?
- 16 Nice or Marseille??
- 17 Iceland with kids - purchase a 'self-drive' package or DIY?
- 18 27-DAY ODYSSEY IN THE ALPS with 3 FINAL DAYS IN PARIS
- 19 Air pollution in Paris
- 20 Adventures in Italy with Momma
- 21 Frustrated! 1st trip to PARIS & France in JULY: Need Cheery HELP!
- 22 San Marino - The world's smallest country
- 23 France, Italy and Greec
- 24 gites de france or agritourism
- 25 15 days in Europe from 15 Dec 2014 to 1st Jan 2015