I have been looking into options and wanted to get some views. After 1 week in Paris (staying in the 3rd arrondissement) we need to get to our rental property in St-Vincent-de-Cosse (near Sarlat). There are no flights from Orly as this will be a Saturday. We will be with our 2 children (ages 6 and 8).
So we can either take the train or drive. The best train option seems to be the direct train from Paris to Brive where we can pick up our rental car. Or we could somehow get to Paris outskirts and pick up a rental car to drive from there (with a lunch stop in Loire area?).
Any views on what would be better with the kids? Is driving more scenic? Or train is better because of less hassle and we can get to gare d'Austerlitz relatively easily?
Based on other posts it looks like the 10 am train to Brive is best as it will arrive when the car rental office will reopen after lunch. I saw another routing via Libourne but it seems even longer (despite part of the trip being on the TGV). Mind you maybe TGV would be most fun with kids?
Lastly any tips on finding the cheapest fares? Booking directly on SNCF 3 months out?
Merci a l'avance!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Switzerland part of 3-week trip
- 2 Tips for 2018 Eastern Europe trip
- 3 Driving in Saint Emilion
- 4 Tips for tour company tour guides
- 5 Rouen & Paris Anniversary Trip
- 6 Preliminary trip planning for Portugal April 2018
- 7 Private car transportation from FCO to Central Rome
- 8 Help Planning Honeymoon
- 9 3 Weeks in Scotland and Ireland
- 10 seat reservations
- 11 Really true that US passport needs 6 months left to enter Schengen zone?
- 12 Italy in a week
- 13 European Sampler, 4 weeks, 6 countries?
- 14 what is this Copenhagen building?
- 15 4 Nights Sevilla/Cordoba in Nov; How to split up
- 16 Germany-Car or Train
- 17 2 Weeks in France: Rouen, Normandy, Dordogne and the Loire Valley
- 18 SURPRISE TRIP
- 19 Jewish Vienna
- 20 Lisbon to San Sebastián to Madrid itinerary help!
- 21 Reaching the Lake District
- 22 Positano Hotel in September
- 23 Scotland itinerary advice
- 24 Brussels flower tapestry
- 25 14 days from Frankfurt to Paris by train