I have been looking into options and wanted to get some views. After 1 week in Paris (staying in the 3rd arrondissement) we need to get to our rental property in St-Vincent-de-Cosse (near Sarlat). There are no flights from Orly as this will be a Saturday. We will be with our 2 children (ages 6 and 8).
So we can either take the train or drive. The best train option seems to be the direct train from Paris to Brive where we can pick up our rental car. Or we could somehow get to Paris outskirts and pick up a rental car to drive from there (with a lunch stop in Loire area?).
Any views on what would be better with the kids? Is driving more scenic? Or train is better because of less hassle and we can get to gare d'Austerlitz relatively easily?
Based on other posts it looks like the 10 am train to Brive is best as it will arrive when the car rental office will reopen after lunch. I saw another routing via Libourne but it seems even longer (despite part of the trip being on the TGV). Mind you maybe TGV would be most fun with kids?
Lastly any tips on finding the cheapest fares? Booking directly on SNCF 3 months out?
Merci a l'avance!
Paris to Sarlat area--train or rental car
- 1 Should We Do Segovia With only 2 1/2 Days in Madrid?
- 2 Venice at Christmas?
- 3 Am I in an unsafe Parisian neighborhood?
- 4 What is the best travel/tour agency to use for escorted trips abroad?
- 5 Cuenca or Toledo
- 6 Hot Air Balloon crash in Cappadocia kills two, injures twenty-three
- 7 First Timer - Itinerary Help - Europe tour for 22 days
- 8 1st, 6th or 7th in Paris
- 9 How to get from Nice to Cinque Terre by train
- 10 Bruges B&Bs
- 11 Best area to visit in Switzerland during October first or second week
- 12 What is the best food in France?
- 13 San Remo Italy to Paris
- 14 Trenitalia
- 15 The Adventure Begins.. Sarge56 in Italy
- 16 Cell Phone for Italy travel
- 17 Train tickets
- 18 3 Weeks w/ 6 year old in UK (The Trip)
- 19 2 weeks in Copenhagen-Helsinki-Stockholm
- 20 Connection in Newark EWR
- 21 Lake Thun/ Lake Brienz in October
- 22 iPhone from germany
- 23 Renfi for Rail Europe
- 24 TR Provence, Israel, Switzerland, Italy..April 16 a day of AA infamy
- 25 Estonia