I have been looking into options and wanted to get some views. After 1 week in Paris (staying in the 3rd arrondissement) we need to get to our rental property in St-Vincent-de-Cosse (near Sarlat). There are no flights from Orly as this will be a Saturday. We will be with our 2 children (ages 6 and 8).
So we can either take the train or drive. The best train option seems to be the direct train from Paris to Brive where we can pick up our rental car. Or we could somehow get to Paris outskirts and pick up a rental car to drive from there (with a lunch stop in Loire area?).
Any views on what would be better with the kids? Is driving more scenic? Or train is better because of less hassle and we can get to gare d'Austerlitz relatively easily?
Based on other posts it looks like the 10 am train to Brive is best as it will arrive when the car rental office will reopen after lunch. I saw another routing via Libourne but it seems even longer (despite part of the trip being on the TGV). Mind you maybe TGV would be most fun with kids?
Lastly any tips on finding the cheapest fares? Booking directly on SNCF 3 months out?
Merci a l'avance!
Paris to Sarlat area--train or rental car
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 RT AIRPORT TRANSPORTATION TO FLOWER MARKET, LAS RAMBLAS
- 2 3 weeks in December in Europe, need help with itinerary
- 3 Oh to be in England now that Spring is there - a walk in the Dales
- 4 Best place to stay with car in Lake Como/Maggiore
- 5 Amsterdam to Brussels train connection question
- 6 Connecting with forum locals in Paris
- 7 Venice - visiting the Arsenal.
- 8 men's shoes spain
- 9 Italy/France 22 day Itinerary - Help Please
- 10 Amsterdam / Belgium Itinerary
- 11 Unique Venice Activity
- 12 Traveling in France by train
- 13 FRANCE: SIM CARD
- 14 Tipping in Turkey ...and Europe
- 15 Two weeks in Paris ... how to fill?
- 16 A Good Base on Mallorca
- 17 16 days in Paris, not sure London or Italy? ?
- 18 London visit
- 19 Altitude sickness in Switzerland
- 20 Flying in and out of Zurich - stay there the entire time?
- 21 Art Deco architecture along the English Channel
- 22 Need help with Europe Itinerary
- 23 How much will a budget to Europe be for 2 months?
- 24 Suggestions for Santorini itinerary, need change??
- 25 Our Spain Adventure -- Cordoba, Seville, Granada and Barcelona! (Part One)