I have been looking into options and wanted to get some views. After 1 week in Paris (staying in the 3rd arrondissement) we need to get to our rental property in St-Vincent-de-Cosse (near Sarlat). There are no flights from Orly as this will be a Saturday. We will be with our 2 children (ages 6 and 8).
So we can either take the train or drive. The best train option seems to be the direct train from Paris to Brive where we can pick up our rental car. Or we could somehow get to Paris outskirts and pick up a rental car to drive from there (with a lunch stop in Loire area?).
Any views on what would be better with the kids? Is driving more scenic? Or train is better because of less hassle and we can get to gare d'Austerlitz relatively easily?
Based on other posts it looks like the 10 am train to Brive is best as it will arrive when the car rental office will reopen after lunch. I saw another routing via Libourne but it seems even longer (despite part of the trip being on the TGV). Mind you maybe TGV would be most fun with kids?
Lastly any tips on finding the cheapest fares? Booking directly on SNCF 3 months out?
Merci a l'avance!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Places of interest
- 2 Southern Germany - a base for travel
- 3 Any recent stays at either the Plaka or Attalos hotels in Athens
- 4 2 weeks in Europe - itenerary help
- 5 Itinerary? Mystras? Stay over or stay in Nafplion
- 6 When to buy airline? & booking seats
- 7 Ireland travel passport question
- 8 We were NOT going to Europe this year --- but
- 9 Croatia transportation question.
- 10 Oxford England Accommodations
- 11 Single mom w/ 8 mo baby traveling to Paris and London
- 12 A Month stay in Southern France
- 13 vienna
- 14 Need hotel recommendations for Madrid, Toledo & Andalucia
- 15 Suggested Italy Itinerary
- 16 getting to CDG
- 17 1 or 2 days in Reykjavík
- 18 Ireland hotel questions
- 19 Questions about Polish sights
- 20 Croatia Ferry Help
- 21 Initial itinerary - 1 month in Greece
- 22 Greece...so many options! (11 days)
- 23 Bern to Munich, BlaBla Car & Dresden
- 24 Northern Spain vs Portugal, where spend more time ?
- 25 Seville/Granada or Porto/Guim/Braga/Evora to impress 9 year old?