I have been looking into options and wanted to get some views. After 1 week in Paris (staying in the 3rd arrondissement) we need to get to our rental property in St-Vincent-de-Cosse (near Sarlat). There are no flights from Orly as this will be a Saturday. We will be with our 2 children (ages 6 and 8).
So we can either take the train or drive. The best train option seems to be the direct train from Paris to Brive where we can pick up our rental car. Or we could somehow get to Paris outskirts and pick up a rental car to drive from there (with a lunch stop in Loire area?).
Any views on what would be better with the kids? Is driving more scenic? Or train is better because of less hassle and we can get to gare d'Austerlitz relatively easily?
Based on other posts it looks like the 10 am train to Brive is best as it will arrive when the car rental office will reopen after lunch. I saw another routing via Libourne but it seems even longer (despite part of the trip being on the TGV). Mind you maybe TGV would be most fun with kids?
Lastly any tips on finding the cheapest fares? Booking directly on SNCF 3 months out?
Merci a l'avance!
Paris to Sarlat area--train or rental car
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 accommodation woes - Sicily
- 2 Vienne or Lyon and then onward to Nice
- 3 OUR BIG ADVENTURE...2 WEEKS and counting
- 4 We saw London, we saw France as well as The Netherlands and Belgium
- 5 Nuremburg and Bamberg from Munich
- 6 Online hotel reservation sites reliable?
- 7 TGV from Charles de Gaulle airport to Avignon
- 8 best beaches on the costa del sol
- 9 Travel with Teens
- 10 Location and amenities in Edinburgh, Scotland
- 11 Vatican - Wednesday General Audience
- 12 Not hot in Europe in July?
- 13 13 days Netherlands, Germany, Austria and Zermatt
- 14 Snowboarding in Poland
- 15 Paris: Help w/short and very last minute trip
- 16 Month Itinerary England, France, Germany, Italy does this work?
- 17 Ireland and the UK Itinerary Advice
- 18 First time Croatia; young children; itinerary
- 19 Apartment in Rome - location opinions please
- 20 York, Lakes District in early May good choice? Or Elsewhere?
- 21 One Week in Costa del Sol with a rental car. Ideas for Day Trips???
- 22 15-days in Turkey with 15-month old, Istanbul and..?
- 23 Netherlands holiday with a 2.5 year old
- 24 Finding a hotel/resort on the Costa del Sol with an indoor pool
- 25 Barcelona and Costa del Sol