I have been looking into options and wanted to get some views. After 1 week in Paris (staying in the 3rd arrondissement) we need to get to our rental property in St-Vincent-de-Cosse (near Sarlat). There are no flights from Orly as this will be a Saturday. We will be with our 2 children (ages 6 and 8).
So we can either take the train or drive. The best train option seems to be the direct train from Paris to Brive where we can pick up our rental car. Or we could somehow get to Paris outskirts and pick up a rental car to drive from there (with a lunch stop in Loire area?).
Any views on what would be better with the kids? Is driving more scenic? Or train is better because of less hassle and we can get to gare d'Austerlitz relatively easily?
Based on other posts it looks like the 10 am train to Brive is best as it will arrive when the car rental office will reopen after lunch. I saw another routing via Libourne but it seems even longer (despite part of the trip being on the TGV). Mind you maybe TGV would be most fun with kids?
Lastly any tips on finding the cheapest fares? Booking directly on SNCF 3 months out?
Merci a l'avance!
Paris to Sarlat area--train or rental car
- 1 15 wonderful days of Vino, Gelatos n Esprossos!
- 2 Benita In Paris
- 3 I'm Boycotting Switzerland And I'm Glad Belgium Makes Great Chocolate Too!
- 4 In Venice then Wengen - Urgent help to choose Apt + Train ticket Sold Out
- 5 Barcelona June 2013 Trip Report
- 6 Paris and Amsterdam July 2013 trip
- 7 Driving through Europe
- 8 Romania Tour Guide
- 9 Transportation from Barcelona airport to Li Riberia
- 10 Best Area to Stay in Paris
- 11 Italy with kids - lost in the wilderness of planning - please help
- 12 Travel from Sorrento to Naples in the early morning?
- 13 5000 stairsteps, 40 ciao bellas, 12 trains, 8 pizzas, 3 women, 1 report
- 14 The "I'm moving/I'm coming home" Italy Trip Report...
- 15 Amsterdam - Germany and Wine!
- 16 Help Needed with European Adventure
- 17 Places to visit from London
- 18 Nice agriturismo or country apartments/villa near Bologna
- 19 Rental car size in Spain: what's a supermini?
- 20 Renting Apartment in Nice
- 21 Do and don't, eating in France
- 22 Group tours of Greece/Greek islands for solo traveler
- 23 Who is along for the ride???Still needing help on this INTERESTING trip
- 24 Getting the best our of Europe
- 25 Mykonos, Greece Ferry Help Please