Day 1 - Just returned from our 10 day vacation in Ireland. My husband and I are in our later 50's and our 27 year old son went along as well. Started out at Minneapolis airport and had a hassle to start off with - but am finding more and more that the airports are a huge hassle. We arrived in Chicago for our Aer Lingus flight to Dublin. Was an uneventful flight and arrived in Dublin on the morning of 6/24 to a rainy, cool morning. Rented our car from Dan Dooley and as everybody else has stated - they were great. We got a Ford Focus. Our son drove out of the parking lot and got us to our first B&B in Malahide without difficulty. We stayed at the Evergreen B&B. We were too early to check in to the B&B, but Olive was very kind and gave us good advice and let us leave our luggage in our room. She made us a cup of tea and then we drove to Howth. It was a short drive from Malahide, right on the sea. We took a walk along the fishing piers, saw some seals and got lunch. We ate at the Waterside Inn - a small pub. Had fish & chips for our first meal in Ireland. We then walked to St. Mary's Abbey and saw the old graveyard and abbey ruins. We stopped by a Tesco store and bought some meat and cheese and strawberries and returned to the B&B for a nap. When we woke up we ate supper in our room and went to bed.
Our 10 day Ireland adventure
View all Europe activity »
- 1 A still, a hooker and a Dodo bird. Paris and Oberkirch.
- 2 France, Spain, Italy and a hint of Switzerland
- 3 Euro Train
- 4 Confirming..."Buy train tickets the day of departure" advice....M/V/Rome
- 5 Scandinavia Itinerary
- 6 first european holiday itinery
- 7 suggestions for a base in france -rouen to st malo in 4 days
- 8 November Solo Madness in Ireland 2013!
- 9 Home from Rome - a trip report
- 10 Venice 3 days Itinerary.
- 11 To Paris and Provence in June
- 12 Best option for Dollars to Euros for apartment payment"
- 13 Cyprus in December
- 14 Cyprus photo gallery
- 15 Cycling and wine-tasting through Italy, Slovenia and Croatia
- 16 Buying a house in the Languedoc - the hunt begins
- 17 Which travel plan?
- 18 Florence in October
- 19 Family European winter holiday
- 20 Looking for a serviced apartment in York
- 21 Vespa Tours of Tuscany
- 22 Advises for trip to Russia
- 23 2 weeks in UK to visit my daughter at Queen Mary Univ Dec 15-28 2013
- 24 Venice passes....confusing as heck!
- 25 Northern Italy Honeymoon- Alps and Italian Favorites