I am new to fodors and really hoping for some great trip ideas and advice. My husband and I both in our 30's, have started trying to conceive which will be our first child so we are looking to plan unfortunately a "quick" trip due to work schedules. I am a school teacher and will be on holiday break and my husband will be starting a new job after the new year. SO, between trying to conceive and job schedules, timing is not ideal, but we figured we would rather plan a trip and enjoy it rather than not go at all. The time we have available is Dec 27th-Jan4th.
This is where I will REALLY need some help. We have both traveled to London and the southern part of Italy. I have been to Scotland as well. Of course all these visits were done during warmer temperatures which we prefer, but again we have to make the best out of the time we have available. Are there any countries in Europe that are still mild in temperature in December? Or are there any that are MUST SEE during this holiday time? We love the history that Europe has, however we do not like to spend all our time walking around museums. We love the romantic atmosphere, sightseeing during the day, castles, festivals, people watching, soaking in the culture, taking strolls, We fell in love with Italy and I know will be making many visits and still have to explore the northern parts.
Im really just looking for some info and any advice you can all give about traveling to Europe at this time. Which countries may have a more mild climate at this time? Are there any festivals that are a must see? With such a short time to visit, which country should we concentrate on? Thank you so much! Looking forward to hearing your opinions!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 "Paris? Again?" And an odd pickpocketing
- 2 Early Itinerary Munich to Croatia
- 3 Scotland Trip Report
- 4 10 days in Italy with 5 and 10 year olds in July
- 5 Croatia - Help on itinerary
- 6 Spain and Portugal - 2 weeks in Mid-July - help with itinerary
- 7 Holy mass with Vienna Boys Choir
- 8 Marseille vs. Genoa
- 9 Kayaking in Avignon
- 10 best Provence itinerary to see Verdon Gorge
- 11 I have six days in Spain - where should I go?
- 12 Heathrow Terminal 2 - Immigration, Bags & Pick-Up
- 13 4 days in Provence in early June
- 14 Travel within Greece, and motion sickness?
- 15 Where to stay in September in the Swiss Alps
- 16 Cordoba Overnight?
- 17 Barcelona, Bilboa, Cuena, Madrid
- 18 Sintra
- 19 France Itinerary Advice
- 20 Crete/Athens June 2017
- 21 Krakow and Prague-one week
- 22 3 days in Normandy (with an 8 year old)
- 23 For a Taste of Four Cultures on Two Contınents
- 24 Roman Roamings: 2 Weeks of Wanderings
- 25 Trip report (long): Greek Macedonia, some insights into London's airports and the discovery of perhaps the worst airline in the developed world.
New to Fodors! Where to vacation in December/Jan in Europe?