I am new to fodors and really hoping for some great trip ideas and advice. My husband and I both in our 30's, have started trying to conceive which will be our first child so we are looking to plan unfortunately a "quick" trip due to work schedules. I am a school teacher and will be on holiday break and my husband will be starting a new job after the new year. SO, between trying to conceive and job schedules, timing is not ideal, but we figured we would rather plan a trip and enjoy it rather than not go at all. The time we have available is Dec 27th-Jan4th.
This is where I will REALLY need some help. We have both traveled to London and the southern part of Italy. I have been to Scotland as well. Of course all these visits were done during warmer temperatures which we prefer, but again we have to make the best out of the time we have available. Are there any countries in Europe that are still mild in temperature in December? Or are there any that are MUST SEE during this holiday time? We love the history that Europe has, however we do not like to spend all our time walking around museums. We love the romantic atmosphere, sightseeing during the day, castles, festivals, people watching, soaking in the culture, taking strolls, We fell in love with Italy and I know will be making many visits and still have to explore the northern parts.
Im really just looking for some info and any advice you can all give about traveling to Europe at this time. Which countries may have a more mild climate at this time? Are there any festivals that are a must see? With such a short time to visit, which country should we concentrate on? Thank you so much! Looking forward to hearing your opinions!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Rouen & Paris Anniversary Trip
- 2 I'm 18. Am I too young to backpack through Europe?
- 3 Itinerary Help: France in Late September
- 4 3 Weeks in Scotland and Ireland
- 5 3 days in Paris then on to London what do we have to see?
- 6 Amsterdam and Antwerp?
- 7 Driving in Saint Emilion
- 8 September Honeymoon advice (Paris, Switzerland and Italy)
- 9 European Sampler, 4 weeks, 6 countries?
- 10 Help us decide-- Ferrara, Mantua, Padua, Verona, Vicenza?
- 11 Europe's Most Famous Streets?
- 12 Night Bus?
- 13 Eastern Sicily Itinerary Help Needed
- 14 Spain in November
- 15 Reading for Italy, Adventures Abroad
- 16 Shall we Gdansk?
- 17 What Car Rental Agency in Italy?
- 18 Varenna to hotel near Milan airport
- 19 Rhodes: New town or Old Town
- 20 3 days outside Venice
- 21 Switzerland part of 3-week trip
- 22 Jewish Vienna
- 23 Short time in Vienna
- 24 Spain itinerary for sept/Oct?
- 25 Tips for 2018 Eastern Europe trip
New to Fodors! Where to vacation in December/Jan in Europe?