I have 7-8 days at the end of June to visit Greece. I am coming from Budapest to Athens. and I have to start and end my trip in Athens. I am trying to devise an itinerary but am struggling. It may be that there is so much I want to do that I am overwhelmed. I have never been to Greece before.
I like history and art and would like to see the sights in Athens and any important sites nearby (within a day) such as Delphi.
I would also like to get the island feel. I am not too interested in partying or crowded beaches although I love the ocean, the sun, and watersports. I just do not love all of the human bodies and crowded bars. I prefer to find a more tranquil place where I can read a book, relax, swim, fish, play in the waves (I can surf), or collect shells, hike, see ancient sites (while hiking?) etcetera.
I was thinking Crete which has all that I want but is seems massive. I would also prefer to be within walking or public transportation of everything. I would also prefer not to incur too many expenses such as renting a car which I think is almost necessary for Crete.
I am also concerned about travelling back to Athens from Crete. I believe it is an almost 8 hour boat ride at night. I am travelling alone and am not too sure about staying in a cabin with strangers. I would consider staying at another island along the way if this shortened the difficulty of the trip.I would fly to an island but do not love flying. I am flying at other points on the trip, and I would prefer not to deal with the hassle of airports, waiting, taxis, etcetera (again).
I am not married to Crete, I read that Spetses, Hydra, or Poros might be easier to get to (and around) from Athens. I would really prefer a Greek fishing village that is laid back and does not attract too many tourists which is also accessible.
Ideas are welcome.
Thank you for your help ahead of time. I have posted recently before, but my follow-ups have not been answered and so this is why I ask for help again.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Dell @printer reset CONTACT ☎ 1:800:681:7208 tec*h support
- 2 Capri is for vacationing, la Dordogne is for living
- 3 Charming hotels in Paris, please help.
- 4 Please help with Carry-on Question--CDG!
- 5 Sitting at a cafe watching the world go by - hmmm...
- 6 Day Trips from Zug in Switzerland
- 7 Late November with a 7-month-old - Portugal?
- 8 Please help: Swiss Pass/Lucerne/Engadine?
- 9 Best walking route Plitvice Lakes
- 10 London with Teens Trip Report
- 11 Bregenzer Festspiele: the opera Carmen
- 12 Cortona -- just a passing thought
- 13 Charming Balcony Hotel in Le Marais?
- 14 Trip Report: Italy with the bambinos!
- 15 Day trip from Amsterdam for college girls
- 16 Trains from Istanbul to Budapest
- 17 Madrid/Andalucia Trip
- 18 Madrird and Seville
- 19 Greece
- 20 Ludwig Castles
- 21 3 Weeks in Sicilia!!
- 22 FYI, Bourdain in Porto, this Sunday (July 2)
- 23 Lake Como AREA questions
- 24 RS view on booking.com & the like
- 25 Konigsee or Wolfgangsee for a stay of 3 days ?