I have 7-8 days at the end of June to visit Greece. I am coming from Budapest to Athens. and I have to start and end my trip in Athens. I am trying to devise an itinerary but am struggling. It may be that there is so much I want to do that I am overwhelmed. I have never been to Greece before.
I like history and art and would like to see the sights in Athens and any important sites nearby (within a day) such as Delphi.
I would also like to get the island feel. I am not too interested in partying or crowded beaches although I love the ocean, the sun, and watersports. I just do not love all of the human bodies and crowded bars. I prefer to find a more tranquil place where I can read a book, relax, swim, fish, play in the waves (I can surf), or collect shells, hike, see ancient sites (while hiking?) etcetera.
I was thinking Crete which has all that I want but is seems massive. I would also prefer to be within walking or public transportation of everything. I would also prefer not to incur too many expenses such as renting a car which I think is almost necessary for Crete.
I am also concerned about travelling back to Athens from Crete. I believe it is an almost 8 hour boat ride at night. I am travelling alone and am not too sure about staying in a cabin with strangers. I would consider staying at another island along the way if this shortened the difficulty of the trip.I would fly to an island but do not love flying. I am flying at other points on the trip, and I would prefer not to deal with the hassle of airports, waiting, taxis, etcetera (again).
I am not married to Crete, I read that Spetses, Hydra, or Poros might be easier to get to (and around) from Athens. I would really prefer a Greek fishing village that is laid back and does not attract too many tourists which is also accessible.
Ideas are welcome.
Thank you for your help ahead of time. I have posted recently before, but my follow-ups have not been answered and so this is why I ask for help again.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Camogli and surrounds
- 2 Are DSLR cameras allowed for Papal Audience
- 3 Good mobile plan for traveller
- 4 Route des Vins
- 5 Alsace Wine Route during Harvest
- 6 My bucket list first trip to Italy
- 7 Shorts in South of France?
- 8 Which are the most beautiful tourist attractions, Tenerife Spain ?
- 9 Italian Opera-Edinburgh Tattoo-"Great" Houses-Cornwall: Ongoing and FINAL
- 10 Les Invalides Night Show
- 11 base for Andalucia
- 12 Any recommendations for a week trip in late October-early November?
- 13 Taxi or Aeroexpress from Domodedovo Airport to center of Moscow?
- 14 Tips for 2018 Eastern Europe trip
- 15 Trip Report - Croatia, Montenegro, Bosnia & Herzegovina
- 16 Do I Tip the Maid & How Much, Paris 3* Hotel?
- 17 3 weeks italy itinerary
- 18 Anthropology and Archeology for the Turkey Traveler
- 19 Les bons plans de Whathello - St Tropez - Resto
- 20 Maximizing Relaxation, Minimizing Hassles
- 21 limousine services - milan - rome
- 22 Regarding Residence Permit
- 23 Flight from Athens to Santorini- is this enough time?
- 24 Homesaty
- 25 The herbs in pure slim 365