I have 7-8 days at the end of June to visit Greece. I am coming from Budapest to Athens. and I have to start and end my trip in Athens. I am trying to devise an itinerary but am struggling. It may be that there is so much I want to do that I am overwhelmed. I have never been to Greece before.
I like history and art and would like to see the sights in Athens and any important sites nearby (within a day) such as Delphi.
I would also like to get the island feel. I am not too interested in partying or crowded beaches although I love the ocean, the sun, and watersports. I just do not love all of the human bodies and crowded bars. I prefer to find a more tranquil place where I can read a book, relax, swim, fish, play in the waves (I can surf), or collect shells, hike, see ancient sites (while hiking?) etcetera.
I was thinking Crete which has all that I want but is seems massive. I would also prefer to be within walking or public transportation of everything. I would also prefer not to incur too many expenses such as renting a car which I think is almost necessary for Crete.
I am also concerned about travelling back to Athens from Crete. I believe it is an almost 8 hour boat ride at night. I am travelling alone and am not too sure about staying in a cabin with strangers. I would consider staying at another island along the way if this shortened the difficulty of the trip.I would fly to an island but do not love flying. I am flying at other points on the trip, and I would prefer not to deal with the hassle of airports, waiting, taxis, etcetera (again).
I am not married to Crete, I read that Spetses, Hydra, or Poros might be easier to get to (and around) from Athens. I would really prefer a Greek fishing village that is laid back and does not attract too many tourists which is also accessible.
Ideas are welcome.
Thank you for your help ahead of time. I have posted recently before, but my follow-ups have not been answered and so this is why I ask for help again.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 January Sicily and exploding cornetto al cioccolato
- 2 Polish: Enough Indo-European Similarity to Make Picking up Words Easier?
- 3 Revised itinerary for italy
- 4 Single mom w/ 8 mo baby traveling to Paris and London
- 5 Initial itinerary - 1 month in Greece
- 6 More earthquakes in central Italy
- 7 Railpass or point-to-point tickets
- 8 Malaga - places to stay and eat
- 9 Surprise trip to Greece!
- 10 Rome, Florence and Venice for each city 2 days
- 11 Seville/Granada or Porto/Guim/Braga/Evora to impress 9 year old?
- 12 Greece-Paros or Meteora
- 13 Juangfrau / mt
- 14 Bern to Munich, BlaBla Car & Dresden
- 15 3 days in Normandy (with an 8 year old)
- 16 please help me plan first trip to europe
- 17 Figueres: trains and timing from Barcelona
- 18 Swiss Alps in the Spring-Some Questions
- 19 3-4 days Netherland trip
- 20 Switzerland
- 21 Paris to Nice - 4x 50 somethings and 5 nights - what to do!
- 22 Questions about Polish sights
- 23 Recommendations for meandering travel this fall in Spain and Portugal
- 24 If you had to choose one......
- 25 UK in July -- early planning stages