I have 7-8 days at the end of June to visit Greece. I am coming from Budapest to Athens. and I have to start and end my trip in Athens. I am trying to devise an itinerary but am struggling. It may be that there is so much I want to do that I am overwhelmed. I have never been to Greece before.
I like history and art and would like to see the sights in Athens and any important sites nearby (within a day) such as Delphi.
I would also like to get the island feel. I am not too interested in partying or crowded beaches although I love the ocean, the sun, and watersports. I just do not love all of the human bodies and crowded bars. I prefer to find a more tranquil place where I can read a book, relax, swim, fish, play in the waves (I can surf), or collect shells, hike, see ancient sites (while hiking?) etcetera.
I was thinking Crete which has all that I want but is seems massive. I would also prefer to be within walking or public transportation of everything. I would also prefer not to incur too many expenses such as renting a car which I think is almost necessary for Crete.
I am also concerned about travelling back to Athens from Crete. I believe it is an almost 8 hour boat ride at night. I am travelling alone and am not too sure about staying in a cabin with strangers. I would consider staying at another island along the way if this shortened the difficulty of the trip.I would fly to an island but do not love flying. I am flying at other points on the trip, and I would prefer not to deal with the hassle of airports, waiting, taxis, etcetera (again).
I am not married to Crete, I read that Spetses, Hydra, or Poros might be easier to get to (and around) from Athens. I would really prefer a Greek fishing village that is laid back and does not attract too many tourists which is also accessible.
Ideas are welcome.
Thank you for your help ahead of time. I have posted recently before, but my follow-ups have not been answered and so this is why I ask for help again.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Intercity Notte training boarding time
- 2 Scotland-Looking for itinerary advice for 9 day trip
- 3 Which airport for Bellagio?
- 4 5 days near Munich, Germany in late-May
- 5 In Search of Montalbano - the ups and downs of 10 days in Eastern Sicily
- 6 London Hotels
- 7 Europe itinerary questions
- 8 Urgent- Pleaseee HELP - Spain, Italy or France for Xmass and New years
- 9 Back from Paris
- 10 Are St. Chapelle concerts just for tourists?
- 11 Norway, Sweden, Denmark
- 12 1 month in Europe
- 13 Paris hotels
- 14 Gulet - Croatia vs Turkey vs Greece
- 15 10 days in Paris and......
- 16 Last minute (next week) London GTG?
- 17 Paris and London Christmas / NY EVE
- 18 Mont St. Michel in winter
- 19 Is winter nice season to visit Hallstatt, Austria ?
- 20 From Portugal to the Pyrenees and onto Paris
- 21 London-Help Me Spend Money
- 22 Omonia metro to Piraeus
- 23 LIsbon
- 24 After Beaune, need suggestions for the next 10 days
- 25 Iceland in 7 days.