Hello fellow fodorites,
Once again I need your invaluable help with a planned trip to the UK next summer.
My wife and I plan to fly to London and fly out of Dublin having spent around 6 weeks touring the UK.
Our plan is to book accommodation in London and spend 6 days or so looking around the English capital. After that, it gets a bit fuzzy
We have toured Europe for a total of 14 weeks over the past several years and have always travelled independently. Catching trains from Base to Base and then pretty much walking or using local transport to get around to all of the wonderful sights and experiences that Europe holds.
With this upcoming trip, however, I am not sure how to best go about it.
My initial plan was:
1. Take a 10-day bus tour around England.
2. Catch a train to Edinburgh and spend 3 or 4 days exploring that city.
3. Take a 7 or so day bus tour around Scotland, focussing on the Highlands.
4. Take a Ferry to Dublin and spend several days exploring that city before ...
5. Taking another 10-12 day bus tour around Ireland and Northern Island before flying out of Dublin.
However, many people have suggested that ALL bus tours are rushed and most of the sight-seeing is done out of a bus window! Having done independent, leisurely trips in the past, this does not sound too appealing.
Still others have suggested that taking the self-drive approach is a nightmare due to traffic and a total lack of parking anywhere. And finally, unlike Europe (where for example we based ourselves in Brienz and made day trips to Interlaken and beyond; Lucerne; Bern; Grindelwald etc) I don't think exploring England, Wales, Scotland and Ireland would lend itself to that type of travel mode.
Please, can anyone offer some suggestions for getting the most out of a six-week visit?
Need advice for best way to see UK and Ireland
Hello fellow fodorites,
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Cilento, Calabria and Basilicata: Help fill in a few blanks for us
- 2 Will I be able to add minutes to the phone I bought in Spain 3 years ago?
- 3 Apartments in Jun/Jul in Rome, Venice, Florence (family of 5)
- 4 Avignon to London?
- 5 Train ticket dilemma from Zurich to Milan
- 6 Quickest Way from Vienna to Prague
- 7 Small group tour for Vatican and Colosseum/Forum, ? catacombs
- 8 feedback on itinerary to france and switzerland
- 9 York, Lakes District in early May good choice? Or Elsewhere?
- 10 Discover Greece On Line (Video + Stills)
- 11 Trip report:Vienna,Graz,Lake district,Salzburg,Wachau,Prague,Munich.
- 12 Ireland and the UK Itinerary Advice
- 13 Need Advice for my first family to Europe
- 14 OUR BIG ADVENTURE...2 WEEKS and counting
- 15 England/Scotland/Wales Planning-Summr 2014
- 16 Siena or Bologna day trip from Florence?
- 17 Amsterdam -Belgium -Germany -Amsterdam
- 18 Venice to Wegen Switerzerland-suggestion for overnight near lake como
- 19 Berlin & Budapest for 8 days
- 20 Vienna - stay near train station or Innere Stadt?
- 21 Hair Straightener for Europe!
- 22 Palm Sunday in Paris
- 23 Paris airport shuttle recommendations
- 24 Trenitalia has just enabled bookings for summer 2014
- 25 What Champagne House in Reims or Epernay for a day visit?