Hello fellow fodorites,
Once again I need your invaluable help with a planned trip to the UK next summer.
My wife and I plan to fly to London and fly out of Dublin having spent around 6 weeks touring the UK.
Our plan is to book accommodation in London and spend 6 days or so looking around the English capital. After that, it gets a bit fuzzy
We have toured Europe for a total of 14 weeks over the past several years and have always travelled independently. Catching trains from Base to Base and then pretty much walking or using local transport to get around to all of the wonderful sights and experiences that Europe holds.
With this upcoming trip, however, I am not sure how to best go about it.
My initial plan was:
1. Take a 10-day bus tour around England.
2. Catch a train to Edinburgh and spend 3 or 4 days exploring that city.
3. Take a 7 or so day bus tour around Scotland, focussing on the Highlands.
4. Take a Ferry to Dublin and spend several days exploring that city before ...
5. Taking another 10-12 day bus tour around Ireland and Northern Island before flying out of Dublin.
However, many people have suggested that ALL bus tours are rushed and most of the sight-seeing is done out of a bus window! Having done independent, leisurely trips in the past, this does not sound too appealing.
Still others have suggested that taking the self-drive approach is a nightmare due to traffic and a total lack of parking anywhere. And finally, unlike Europe (where for example we based ourselves in Brienz and made day trips to Interlaken and beyond; Lucerne; Bern; Grindelwald etc) I don't think exploring England, Wales, Scotland and Ireland would lend itself to that type of travel mode.
Please, can anyone offer some suggestions for getting the most out of a six-week visit?
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Help Planning Denmark Sweden Norway trip
- 2 Where??-2 night trip from London
- 3 Dordogne and Marseille: into the cave and out to the sea
- 4 Athens Help
- 5 Rouen or Rennes to pick up Rental Car
- 6 Sicily help
- 7 Help me decide which major city to cut based on time of year.
- 8 Experiencing London and Scotland by Sleeper Train
- 9 Help with Greek islands itinerary-which islands to pick!
- 10 Too Little Time in Ireland--Advice?
- 11 Cork questions
- 12 Restaurant recommendations in Sicily
- 13 Driving from Culzean Castle to Bamburgh
- 14 Borghese Gallery Question
- 15 Experiencing Scotland in the Winters
- 16 Will Bottle of Champagne Pass Thru Customs at Athens Airport Upon Arrival?
- 17 London vacation rental agency
- 18 Trains in Italy
- 19 Sim Card
- 20 7 nights in Iceland, in July 2018
- 21 Airline to Rome
- 22 Finland around Christmas time?
- 23 Clueless, planning trip to Scotland
- 24 Germany vs Sweden nightlife
- 25 To the top of Europe, and back again.
Hello fellow fodorites,