Hello fellow fodorites,
Once again I need your invaluable help with a planned trip to the UK next summer.
My wife and I plan to fly to London and fly out of Dublin having spent around 6 weeks touring the UK.
Our plan is to book accommodation in London and spend 6 days or so looking around the English capital. After that, it gets a bit fuzzy
We have toured Europe for a total of 14 weeks over the past several years and have always travelled independently. Catching trains from Base to Base and then pretty much walking or using local transport to get around to all of the wonderful sights and experiences that Europe holds.
With this upcoming trip, however, I am not sure how to best go about it.
My initial plan was:
1. Take a 10-day bus tour around England.
2. Catch a train to Edinburgh and spend 3 or 4 days exploring that city.
3. Take a 7 or so day bus tour around Scotland, focussing on the Highlands.
4. Take a Ferry to Dublin and spend several days exploring that city before ...
5. Taking another 10-12 day bus tour around Ireland and Northern Island before flying out of Dublin.
However, many people have suggested that ALL bus tours are rushed and most of the sight-seeing is done out of a bus window! Having done independent, leisurely trips in the past, this does not sound too appealing.
Still others have suggested that taking the self-drive approach is a nightmare due to traffic and a total lack of parking anywhere. And finally, unlike Europe (where for example we based ourselves in Brienz and made day trips to Interlaken and beyond; Lucerne; Bern; Grindelwald etc) I don't think exploring England, Wales, Scotland and Ireland would lend itself to that type of travel mode.
Please, can anyone offer some suggestions for getting the most out of a six-week visit?
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Rome> Salerno>Positano ??
- 2 Cote d'Azur & Provence Itinerary - Stu Dudley's new/revised edition
- 3 Bus from montalcino to Firenze
- 4 Amsterdam and ?????
- 5 Another Alhambra Ticket Question
- 6 Will July 23 Become England's Independence Day?
- 7 PARIS. GTG-------Sept.14, 2016, anyone interested?
- 8 To europe this Aug
- 9 Sept. 2016. GTG...possibly 14th-17th
- 10 Daytrips/Excursions from Frankfurt
- 11 http://sexuallubricants.org/staminon-male-enhancement/
- 12 http://www.nutritionofhealth.com/leptigen-reviews/
- 13 Tuscany Region - Public Transportation or Rental Car?
- 14 HOTEL IN STOCKHOLM
- 15 Sweden, Denmark or Both ? 8 days in Aug
- 16 Stay away from EF Tours
- 17 Visiting Turkey for Fun and Adventure, Oasis or Chaos
- 18 Around The World In Collars and Pearls: A Mother-Daughter Adventure
- 19 Any details on the explosions at the Istanbul Airport?
- 20 Which ballooning company should we use in Cappadocia?
- 21 http://brainammofacts.com/staminon/
- 22 Scotland--transport from Dundee wharf to Edinburgh city center
- 23 London - Lakes - Hadrian - Traquair and more...
- 24 London, guided tours vs "do it oursleves"
- 25 Berlin / Cologne / Rothenburg / Neuschwanstein
Hello fellow fodorites,