Hello fellow fodorites,
Once again I need your invaluable help with a planned trip to the UK next summer.
My wife and I plan to fly to London and fly out of Dublin having spent around 6 weeks touring the UK.
Our plan is to book accommodation in London and spend 6 days or so looking around the English capital. After that, it gets a bit fuzzy
We have toured Europe for a total of 14 weeks over the past several years and have always travelled independently. Catching trains from Base to Base and then pretty much walking or using local transport to get around to all of the wonderful sights and experiences that Europe holds.
With this upcoming trip, however, I am not sure how to best go about it.
My initial plan was:
1. Take a 10-day bus tour around England.
2. Catch a train to Edinburgh and spend 3 or 4 days exploring that city.
3. Take a 7 or so day bus tour around Scotland, focussing on the Highlands.
4. Take a Ferry to Dublin and spend several days exploring that city before ...
5. Taking another 10-12 day bus tour around Ireland and Northern Island before flying out of Dublin.
However, many people have suggested that ALL bus tours are rushed and most of the sight-seeing is done out of a bus window! Having done independent, leisurely trips in the past, this does not sound too appealing.
Still others have suggested that taking the self-drive approach is a nightmare due to traffic and a total lack of parking anywhere. And finally, unlike Europe (where for example we based ourselves in Brienz and made day trips to Interlaken and beyond; Lucerne; Bern; Grindelwald etc) I don't think exploring England, Wales, Scotland and Ireland would lend itself to that type of travel mode.
Please, can anyone offer some suggestions for getting the most out of a six-week visit?
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Second thoughts about pour Germany trip...help me !
- 2 England, Ireland, and France. What can I see in two weeks?
- 3 Norway Fjords
- 4 Desperate Help with Itinerary to Alsace/Alps/Provence
- 5 FIRST TIME VISIT TO SWITZERLAND
- 6 Tweesters+ tour of Catalonia and Languedoc-Roussillon
- 7 Help with itinerary in Southern Italy in Maye
- 8 Bootcut jeans
- 9 Public Transportation in Vienna: Borderline Organized Crime
- 10 Day trip suggestion from London
- 11 UK train question
- 12 POST CRUISE IN ROME FOR 5 DAYS
- 13 London Itinerary - Late Summer
- 14 Car rental insurance woes
- 15 Advance purchase tickets for Seville??
- 16 St Mont Michel, how much time do I need
- 17 Umbria and Piedmont
- 18 I need a practice room! (piano)
- 19 My niece wants a one week student tour
- 20 5 day home base between Venice and Florence with Teenage boys?
- 21 Train/rental car questions Milan-Bolzano
- 22 Cheap Airfare to Spain
- 23 Car and Driver in Italy
- 24 Road tripping: Isle of Skye to London
- 25 Honeymoon Plans London+Paris+??April-May
Hello fellow fodorites,