as threatened I'm making a start on my trip report about our very recent holiday in Iceland, which was, like many trips if we're being honest, a bit of a curate's egg.
First of all - us. there's me, a 52 year old lawyer/mum of 2, DD, aged 20 and studying animal biology at uni, DS, 17, at college hopefully studying something occasionally, and DH, aged 59 and father of the aforesaid offspring.
we live in Cornwall on a small-holding [yes, that is what small farms are called in the UK] with 2 dogs, 2 donkeys, 26 chickens, 2 budgies, and 2 snakes. move over noah.
Why Iceland? - I suspect the answer is in the preceding paragraphs - we like animals and nature. specifically it was jointly the idea of DS and DH, egging each other on, partly i suspect to get their own back on me and DD "dragging" them to Venice at easter. [poor things].
THE BEST BITS:
waking up on our first morning to find oyster-catchers and arctic terns just outside the door to our summerhouse.
floating round icebergs on a glacial lagoon.
the beautiful cathedral and its surroundings at Skalholt
DS getting soaked by a geysir.
the nearby waterfalls at Gullfoss.
the western fjords.
being nose to nose with a puffin [or 6] at the bird-cliffs at the most westerly tip of europe.
watching orcas [killer whales] and dolphins up close.
the hotel glymur.
the national museum of Iceland.
THE NOT SUCH GOOD BITS:
in general the food. whether in guest house or supermarket, it really wasn't very good, even if you liked lamb. if you didn't it was very bad. [the hotel Glymur was an honourable exception.]
the roads - apart from the "ring-road" they can be very dodgy with gravel surfaces at best, and huge pot-holes at worst.
the amount of driving required to get from one "good" bit to another, especially because of the state of the roads. [see above].
the "summerhouse" we booked over the internet for nights 8-10 of the holiday. it was little more than a shed, and we had to share that with campers doing their ablutions. we only lasted one night. [see below]
DS losing his mobile somewhere. it's not at home as he claimed when we realised he'd not got it with him. we're going to ring it and see what happens.
the journey home. 4 hours at Stanstead are not easy to tolerate, especially when you've got up at 4.30am.
Day 1 – Tues 29th July - fly to Iceland from Newquay to Reykjavik via Stanstead. stay in self-catering "summerhouse" in southern Iceland for 3 nights.
Days 2&3 – explore the south
Day 4 – Fri 1st August. Leave south for "Golden circle" area. stay at farm guest house for 2 nights near Geysir. explore golden circle area.
Day 6 – Sun 3rd Aug. Leave Gulfoss for western fjords – 400km.
Stay 2 nights Hotel flokalundur, on Vatnsfjordur.
Day 7 – Mon 4th Explore latrabjarg bird cliffs and Dynjandi waterfalls.
Day 8 – Tues 5th-Leave Flokalundur. Ferry from Bjanslaeker arrives Stykkisholmur 3pm. Drive south for 35 km, stay 3 nights in summerhouse at Kverna horse farm.
Day 9 & 10 - Explore snaefellnes peninsular including, hopefully, whale watching or other boat trip.
Day 11 – Fri 8th - Drive south to Blue Lagoon near airport, staying Northern lights hotel. [approx 200km]. tour Reykjavik en route.
Day 12 – fly home. leave hotel at 5.30 am, arriving home at 6pm.
NEXT - WHAT WE ACTUALLY DID.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Bologna, Florence, Venice 5 days
- 2 Train Travel Berlin, Prague, Krakow
- 3 My trip to Cornwall, bookended by weekends in London
- 4 10 day Greek Island trip
- 5 First time trip to Ireland - 6 nights
- 6 Thoughts on an unusual itinerary for Northern Spain please
- 7 First time to London - couple for lodging
- 8 Portugal itinerary help
- 9 Portugal - 5 days in Nov - Itinerary suggestions?
- 10 Portugal initial itinerary help
- 11 Lisbon NYE
- 12 Drive Vienna to Salzburg
- 13 Swiss trains/Basel to Zurich
- 14 Stay in Multalcino or Montepulciano
- 15 English Countryside
- 16 Need help in travel planning
- 17 French immersion courses in France
- 18 Best European Cities for Walking Challenged
- 19 Puglia or La Langhe
- 20 Visiting Spain in January
- 21 Traveling to Europe mid November - suggestions
- 22 Will I need air conditioning near Lucca in early July?
- 23 Europe in late January
- 24 Need help with train service Bologna, Rimini, Rome
- 25 Britain's contactless public transport revolution moves to Oxford
Mum's been to Iceland, or "round Iceland with a cucumber"