as threatened I'm making a start on my trip report about our very recent holiday in Iceland, which was, like many trips if we're being honest, a bit of a curate's egg.
First of all - us. there's me, a 52 year old lawyer/mum of 2, DD, aged 20 and studying animal biology at uni, DS, 17, at college hopefully studying something occasionally, and DH, aged 59 and father of the aforesaid offspring.
we live in Cornwall on a small-holding [yes, that is what small farms are called in the UK] with 2 dogs, 2 donkeys, 26 chickens, 2 budgies, and 2 snakes. move over noah.
Why Iceland? - I suspect the answer is in the preceding paragraphs - we like animals and nature. specifically it was jointly the idea of DS and DH, egging each other on, partly i suspect to get their own back on me and DD "dragging" them to Venice at easter. [poor things].
THE BEST BITS:
waking up on our first morning to find oyster-catchers and arctic terns just outside the door to our summerhouse.
floating round icebergs on a glacial lagoon.
the beautiful cathedral and its surroundings at Skalholt
DS getting soaked by a geysir.
the nearby waterfalls at Gullfoss.
the western fjords.
being nose to nose with a puffin [or 6] at the bird-cliffs at the most westerly tip of europe.
watching orcas [killer whales] and dolphins up close.
the hotel glymur.
the national museum of Iceland.
THE NOT SUCH GOOD BITS:
in general the food. whether in guest house or supermarket, it really wasn't very good, even if you liked lamb. if you didn't it was very bad. [the hotel Glymur was an honourable exception.]
the roads - apart from the "ring-road" they can be very dodgy with gravel surfaces at best, and huge pot-holes at worst.
the amount of driving required to get from one "good" bit to another, especially because of the state of the roads. [see above].
the "summerhouse" we booked over the internet for nights 8-10 of the holiday. it was little more than a shed, and we had to share that with campers doing their ablutions. we only lasted one night. [see below]
DS losing his mobile somewhere. it's not at home as he claimed when we realised he'd not got it with him. we're going to ring it and see what happens.
the journey home. 4 hours at Stanstead are not easy to tolerate, especially when you've got up at 4.30am.
Day 1 – Tues 29th July - fly to Iceland from Newquay to Reykjavik via Stanstead. stay in self-catering "summerhouse" in southern Iceland for 3 nights.
Days 2&3 – explore the south
Day 4 – Fri 1st August. Leave south for "Golden circle" area. stay at farm guest house for 2 nights near Geysir. explore golden circle area.
Day 6 – Sun 3rd Aug. Leave Gulfoss for western fjords – 400km.
Stay 2 nights Hotel flokalundur, on Vatnsfjordur.
Day 7 – Mon 4th Explore latrabjarg bird cliffs and Dynjandi waterfalls.
Day 8 – Tues 5th-Leave Flokalundur. Ferry from Bjanslaeker arrives Stykkisholmur 3pm. Drive south for 35 km, stay 3 nights in summerhouse at Kverna horse farm.
Day 9 & 10 - Explore snaefellnes peninsular including, hopefully, whale watching or other boat trip.
Day 11 – Fri 8th - Drive south to Blue Lagoon near airport, staying Northern lights hotel. [approx 200km]. tour Reykjavik en route.
Day 12 – fly home. leave hotel at 5.30 am, arriving home at 6pm.
NEXT - WHAT WE ACTUALLY DID.
Mum's been to Iceland, or "round Iceland with a cucumber"
- 1 Comfortable shoes to wear in Italy this summer and not look like a tourist
- 2 separate beds in Frankfurt and Munich
- 3 Rome, Florence, Sorrento in 1 week
- 4 Tour-Free Travel
- 5 Barcelona to Positano
- 6 Guided Tour recommendation for Pere-Lachaise Cemetery needed
- 7 Sketches from Italy: Rome, Ischia and Frascati
- 8 Help needed with ratp site for Paris bus and metro
- 9 best place to get euros for Ireland trip
- 10 First time to paris...4day stay..what to do?
- 11 Paris Perfect: change of apartment
- 12 Retirement Vacation
- 13 Itinerary suggestions please: Munich, Ortisei and ???
- 14 New & Improved 2 Week Honeymoon Itinerary Italy
- 15 Tales from Venice, Bologna, Pienza and Rome
- 16 The Adventure Begins.. Sarge56 in Italy
- 17 In Nice solo between June 17 - 22 anyone else going to be there?
- 18 Almalfi in Late March??
- 19 Edinburgh
- 20 Four Days in Seville
- 21 London Evening Activity
- 22 Where to Buy Marionettes in Prague?
- 23 Do I Need A Visa for London?
- 24 Planning my days in Paris
- 25 Oystercard/Travelcard planning