as threatened I'm making a start on my trip report about our very recent holiday in Iceland, which was, like many trips if we're being honest, a bit of a curate's egg.
First of all - us. there's me, a 52 year old lawyer/mum of 2, DD, aged 20 and studying animal biology at uni, DS, 17, at college hopefully studying something occasionally, and DH, aged 59 and father of the aforesaid offspring.
we live in Cornwall on a small-holding [yes, that is what small farms are called in the UK] with 2 dogs, 2 donkeys, 26 chickens, 2 budgies, and 2 snakes. move over noah.
Why Iceland? - I suspect the answer is in the preceding paragraphs - we like animals and nature. specifically it was jointly the idea of DS and DH, egging each other on, partly i suspect to get their own back on me and DD "dragging" them to Venice at easter. [poor things].
THE BEST BITS:
waking up on our first morning to find oyster-catchers and arctic terns just outside the door to our summerhouse.
floating round icebergs on a glacial lagoon.
the beautiful cathedral and its surroundings at Skalholt
DS getting soaked by a geysir.
the nearby waterfalls at Gullfoss.
the western fjords.
being nose to nose with a puffin [or 6] at the bird-cliffs at the most westerly tip of europe.
watching orcas [killer whales] and dolphins up close.
the hotel glymur.
the national museum of Iceland.
THE NOT SUCH GOOD BITS:
in general the food. whether in guest house or supermarket, it really wasn't very good, even if you liked lamb. if you didn't it was very bad. [the hotel Glymur was an honourable exception.]
the roads - apart from the "ring-road" they can be very dodgy with gravel surfaces at best, and huge pot-holes at worst.
the amount of driving required to get from one "good" bit to another, especially because of the state of the roads. [see above].
the "summerhouse" we booked over the internet for nights 8-10 of the holiday. it was little more than a shed, and we had to share that with campers doing their ablutions. we only lasted one night. [see below]
DS losing his mobile somewhere. it's not at home as he claimed when we realised he'd not got it with him. we're going to ring it and see what happens.
the journey home. 4 hours at Stanstead are not easy to tolerate, especially when you've got up at 4.30am.
Day 1 – Tues 29th July - fly to Iceland from Newquay to Reykjavik via Stanstead. stay in self-catering "summerhouse" in southern Iceland for 3 nights.
Days 2&3 – explore the south
Day 4 – Fri 1st August. Leave south for "Golden circle" area. stay at farm guest house for 2 nights near Geysir. explore golden circle area.
Day 6 – Sun 3rd Aug. Leave Gulfoss for western fjords – 400km.
Stay 2 nights Hotel flokalundur, on Vatnsfjordur.
Day 7 – Mon 4th Explore latrabjarg bird cliffs and Dynjandi waterfalls.
Day 8 – Tues 5th-Leave Flokalundur. Ferry from Bjanslaeker arrives Stykkisholmur 3pm. Drive south for 35 km, stay 3 nights in summerhouse at Kverna horse farm.
Day 9 & 10 - Explore snaefellnes peninsular including, hopefully, whale watching or other boat trip.
Day 11 – Fri 8th - Drive south to Blue Lagoon near airport, staying Northern lights hotel. [approx 200km]. tour Reykjavik en route.
Day 12 – fly home. leave hotel at 5.30 am, arriving home at 6pm.
NEXT - WHAT WE ACTUALLY DID.
Mum's been to Iceland, or "round Iceland with a cucumber"
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Paris for a Week – Looking for a Day Trip Outside the City
- 2 Christmas Market Battle: Vienna/Salzburg/Munich
- 3 Are 9 Days Too Much for the Dordogne?
- 4 Naxos in May
- 5 What to do during Christmas in Paris?
- 6 Learning Polish: "No, you can't have my cat"
- 7 20 days in Germany
- 8 Portugal Alentejo's cante
- 9 How safe is "Combe Laval Road" or ROUTE DE GENTLY to drive a car?
- 10 Another Trip of Discovery of Feminine Charm with DW and DD the Younger
- 11 Iceland: How to Split Up 7 Days self-drive
- 12 help regarding removal firm in london
- 13 Dresden or Leipzig
- 14 A photo report on Reykjavik, Iceland
- 15 No Starbucks in Italy?
- 16 Transfer from Linate to Bellagio
- 17 Beaune to Chamonix to Paris---driving/train?
- 18 Avignon to Bordeaux by Train
- 19 Trains in Italy
- 20 South of France November Trip Report
- 21 Suggestions for Scandinavian Movies, Radio and Music. Can you help?
- 22 Amazon 50% off sale on Rosetta Stone German
- 23 Tips for Chamonix in June?
- 24 Help With Vienna
- 25 Flying from Paris to London: logistics help?