Travelling on my own with two sons (12 and 14).
Arrive London 07:30 Friday 13 Sept. after long flight from Australia. Leave for Paris on Eurostar following Wed. morn. So five nights in London.
We're active (even me), not gallery-mad. First time in London for the boys. Here's what I've been thinking. Any suggestions/hints greatly appreciated.
Staying at Marble Arch near Hyde Park (14-yr-old wants to keep up his running training).
Are there still those 2-pound double-decker red buses for a couple of hours trouble-free sightseeing on the first day?
Wander through Hyde Park/Kensington Gardens on the first day to hopefully catch some sunshine and adjust to time change. Nothing major this day.
Scattered through remaining time:
Warner Bros Harry Potter studio (this is a must)
Anyone done the themed Harry Potter walk? Or should we just do this ourselves.
Natural History Museum
Tower of London (a distant relative scratched his name on a wall)
British Museum for Egyptian antiquities and Rosetta Stone
St Paul's – climb to top and down to catacombs
Is London Zoo worth it? I know Harry Potter reptile house would be a drawcard
Anyone done Fat Tire bikes?
12-yr-old wants to see a 'super car' showroom (yes, really)
Catch a great show one night using 1/2 price on-the-day tickets
Also would like advice on:
cheap eats (not McDonald's, etc.)
what to combine with what so we don't end up doing too much backtracking
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Netherlands, Alps, Tuscany
- 2 Doobie in Amsterdam
- 3 August Trip Planning
- 4 Modica or Noto? So difficult to decide!
- 5 Reservations needed for Frankfurt->Offenburg train?
- 6 Cordoba or Granada?
- 7 Itinerary help needed for month in France.
- 8 Barcelona or Seville for 2 weeks
- 9 Itinerary Help For Switzerland And Lakes Region Of Italy
- 10 Visiting Turkey for Fun and Adventure, Oasis or Chaos
- 11 10 days in eastern Sicily - itinerary help needed
- 12 Newcastle train info
- 13 8 day trip from Denmark to Austria and Switzerland
- 14 BritRail Pass Seat Reservation Cost
- 15 KNOWL and/or CHARTWELL in Kent from London by train?
- 16 Need advice to plan a trip for graduation gift
- 17 Touring Wales
- 18 Rome & Amalfi Coast (driving/Public Transit questions)
- 19 Need help texting between US and French cell phones
- 20 Help required with Ireland Itinerary
- 21 2 wk in Italy-Venice/Florence/CT/Pisa/Rome
- 22 Please critique my itinerary
- 23 Tour Recommendations Venice, Florence, Rom
- 24 Can't we Fodorites be kinder in our responses, especially to new posters?
- 25 Bus from Montepulciano, Italy to Roma Fiumicino Airport?