Travelling on my own with two sons (12 and 14).
Arrive London 07:30 Friday 13 Sept. after long flight from Australia. Leave for Paris on Eurostar following Wed. morn. So five nights in London.
We're active (even me), not gallery-mad. First time in London for the boys. Here's what I've been thinking. Any suggestions/hints greatly appreciated.
Staying at Marble Arch near Hyde Park (14-yr-old wants to keep up his running training).
Are there still those 2-pound double-decker red buses for a couple of hours trouble-free sightseeing on the first day?
Wander through Hyde Park/Kensington Gardens on the first day to hopefully catch some sunshine and adjust to time change. Nothing major this day.
Scattered through remaining time:
Warner Bros Harry Potter studio (this is a must)
Anyone done the themed Harry Potter walk? Or should we just do this ourselves.
Natural History Museum
Tower of London (a distant relative scratched his name on a wall)
British Museum for Egyptian antiquities and Rosetta Stone
St Paul's – climb to top and down to catacombs
Is London Zoo worth it? I know Harry Potter reptile house would be a drawcard
Anyone done Fat Tire bikes?
12-yr-old wants to see a 'super car' showroom (yes, really)
Catch a great show one night using 1/2 price on-the-day tickets
Also would like advice on:
cheap eats (not McDonald's, etc.)
what to combine with what so we don't end up doing too much backtracking
London – five days with two teen boys
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Greece with 10yr old who wants to re-live Greek mythology
- 2 Hotel in Lisbon
- 3 Getting to London Gatwick or London Luton Airports from Heathrow?
- 4 Tyrol - need general help
- 5 Should we take the Bernina Express or not? Other Suggestions??
- 6 Italy food budget
- 7 What Irish/English map is best to have for an Ireland driving vacation
- 8 Where to stay in Nice? Family of 4.
- 9 Paris, One night for a foodie
- 10 Sorrento - Positano- Amalfie- Revello- tour- by cab?
- 11 10-12 nights in Switzerland and France
- 12 Munich accommodations
- 13 4 week itinerary for German - France - Italy ...too much?
- 14 RER B & D change at G du Nord or Chatelet?
- 15 buying souviners and art
- 16 Costa Brava for woman traveling alone in June
- 17 Where to stay in Prague?
- 18 Paris Shopping - stationery, linens, hats, kitchen stuff
- 19 Tedgale trip report: One glorious week in London, February, 2015
- 20 proposed two week Greece itinerary
- 21 Vienna and Prague or Venice/Sienna/Rome for honeymoon?
- 22 Lyon, Beaune, or Dijon as stopover from Antibes to Colmar?
- 23 Positano in high season???
- 24 Porto to Salamanca
- 25 Visiting Anne Frank House