Travelling on my own with two sons (12 and 14).
Arrive London 07:30 Friday 13 Sept. after long flight from Australia. Leave for Paris on Eurostar following Wed. morn. So five nights in London.
We're active (even me), not gallery-mad. First time in London for the boys. Here's what I've been thinking. Any suggestions/hints greatly appreciated.
Staying at Marble Arch near Hyde Park (14-yr-old wants to keep up his running training).
Are there still those 2-pound double-decker red buses for a couple of hours trouble-free sightseeing on the first day?
Wander through Hyde Park/Kensington Gardens on the first day to hopefully catch some sunshine and adjust to time change. Nothing major this day.
Scattered through remaining time:
Warner Bros Harry Potter studio (this is a must)
Anyone done the themed Harry Potter walk? Or should we just do this ourselves.
Natural History Museum
Tower of London (a distant relative scratched his name on a wall)
British Museum for Egyptian antiquities and Rosetta Stone
St Paul's – climb to top and down to catacombs
Is London Zoo worth it? I know Harry Potter reptile house would be a drawcard
Anyone done Fat Tire bikes?
12-yr-old wants to see a 'super car' showroom (yes, really)
Catch a great show one night using 1/2 price on-the-day tickets
Also would like advice on:
cheap eats (not McDonald's, etc.)
what to combine with what so we don't end up doing too much backtracking
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Getting Around Toledo
- 2 Going to Montmartre from Gare du Nord totally off the beaten track
- 3 Does the Paris Museum Pass cover the Picasso Museum?
- 4 Ice for a cooler
- 5 PASSPORT number changed
- 6 Ireland - Insight into group tours/budget
- 7 Florence: a piece of precious, magical art in its own right
- 8 Hotel at or near Brussels airport
- 9 Planning a summer vacation through the Alps - all advice welcome!
- 10 Seine river cruise help
- 11 Kandersteg - Muddy Boots?
- 12 Sicily: Day trips from Palermo to Erice, Segesta and Cefalu
- 13 SIM card in Sicily
- 14 Men's attire for touring
- 15 Rome, Italy Sistine Chapel
- 16 Budapest main train station status
- 17 Confused ~ Pheasant Inn Lake District
- 18 Scotland itinerary
- 19 Touring Rome
- 20 Cotswold for 3days
- 21 Sarajevo to Mostar by train or bus
- 22 Help with 16-night Sept-Oct Itinerary for Croatia
- 23 What to do in Dublin/ Waterford in 1 day
- 24 Trip Report Paris, Avignon, Lyon, Turin, Genoa, Reggio Emilia, Venice 2014
- 25 England/Scotland in January?