I've been digging through the archives and thought I'd consolidate some of the excellent questions/info I've found on this site.
I'm planning on going to Poland/Ukraine and other Eastern European countries next June, for Euro 2012. We have tickets to a match in Kiev (Kyiv) on June 19, and would like to be in the city for the Finals on July 1. This gives us about 1.5 weeks to play with.
We're having difficulty determining the following:
a) How to fly cheaply into Kiev
b) What other cities to visit. I would like to hit up Bratislava, and perhaps swing down through Slovenia and Croatia. I have been to Vienna and Budapest before, but am not against returning.
c) Depending on the answer to b), what is the best way to get around? Most people think night trains, but they can be upwards of 16 hrs, which seems a touch extreme. Would renting a car from just inside the Ukrainian border and driving to Kiev and back to the rental city, and then doing trains the rest of the way be worthwhile, or just a huge waste of time/effort?
Sorry for the verbal barfing of ideas in my head. I've been looking at maps and Fodor forums and googling airlines (Wizz Air, etc) for about 8 hrs and can't find any concrete solutions.
Cheers in advance
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 More earthquakes in central Italy
- 2 UK in July -- early planning stages
- 3 Itinerary help needed: 10-11 days in Calabria, Siciily, and (maybe) Puglia
- 4 January Sicily and exploding cornetto al cioccolato
- 5 Spending Money for 10 Days in France/Italy
- 6 2 Months - Dubrovnik to Frankfurt Itinerary
- 7 Need itinerary help! Dolomites to Austria through Hallstat to Venice
- 8 3-4 days Netherland trip
- 9 Swiss Alps in the Spring-Some Questions
- 10 Trains in Alps and UK
- 11 Switzerland
- 12 CDG airport and connection time
- 13 Travelogue: Copenhagen with Kids
- 14 Travelogue: Norway with kids (Bergen & Fjord)
- 15 Travelogue: Sweden with kids
- 16 solo guy traveling to europe help please
- 17 Day trips ideas from Lausanne, Switzerland
- 18 Train travel vs rental car in Slovenia and Croatia
- 19 Dash to Sicily January Advice hel....
- 20 If you had to choose one......
- 21 Where to buy Saffron?
- 22 EATING IN LISBON..first visit
- 23 Tripcho Travel Guided Tours
- 24 Marksburg Castle Transport Question
- 25 days and times when museums and suchlike close
Kiev (Kyiv) and surrounding cities - where to go (Euro 2012)