I've been digging through the archives and thought I'd consolidate some of the excellent questions/info I've found on this site.
I'm planning on going to Poland/Ukraine and other Eastern European countries next June, for Euro 2012. We have tickets to a match in Kiev (Kyiv) on June 19, and would like to be in the city for the Finals on July 1. This gives us about 1.5 weeks to play with.
We're having difficulty determining the following:
a) How to fly cheaply into Kiev
b) What other cities to visit. I would like to hit up Bratislava, and perhaps swing down through Slovenia and Croatia. I have been to Vienna and Budapest before, but am not against returning.
c) Depending on the answer to b), what is the best way to get around? Most people think night trains, but they can be upwards of 16 hrs, which seems a touch extreme. Would renting a car from just inside the Ukrainian border and driving to Kiev and back to the rental city, and then doing trains the rest of the way be worthwhile, or just a huge waste of time/effort?
Sorry for the verbal barfing of ideas in my head. I've been looking at maps and Fodor forums and googling airlines (Wizz Air, etc) for about 8 hrs and can't find any concrete solutions.
Cheers in advance
Kiev (Kyiv) and surrounding cities - where to go (Euro 2012)
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 21 Days in Central Europe
- 2 Our Spain Adventure -- Cordoba, Seville, Granada and Barcelona! (Part One)
- 3 Italy and France in 20 Days
- 4 London visit
- 5 How much will a budget to Europe be for 2 months?
- 6 Need help making VIP seat reservations on Golden Pass train
- 7 I Go to Pieces — An Italy Trip Report
- 8 Need help with Europe Itinerary
- 9 Driving to Paris... Parking?
- 10 Advice Train from Berlin to Prague
- 11 Who has stayed at a Citadines Paris property?
- 12 Is Naxos worthwhile if not planning to spend time on the beach?
- 13 Two weeks in Paris ... how to fill?
- 14 Oh to be in England now that Spring is there - a walk in the Dales
- 15 Amsterdam / Belgium Itinerary
- 16 Tram 28 safe to travel with kids?
- 17 How to get from Charles de Gaulle Airport to Gare du Nord?
- 18 Almost 3 weeks in Sicily in March
- 19 Portugal with a 3 year old and 1 year old
- 20 Our Silver Lining Tour: A German Journey & Queen's Day Too
- 21 A Good Base on Mallorca
- 22 Greece trip report - winter in the center - Epirus, Pelion etc
- 23 Connecting with forum locals in Paris
- 24 Best way from Sevila's Airport to Hotel Alphonso X111 ???
- 25 Venice canal boats--best deals?