I've been digging through the archives and thought I'd consolidate some of the excellent questions/info I've found on this site.
I'm planning on going to Poland/Ukraine and other Eastern European countries next June, for Euro 2012. We have tickets to a match in Kiev (Kyiv) on June 19, and would like to be in the city for the Finals on July 1. This gives us about 1.5 weeks to play with.
We're having difficulty determining the following:
a) How to fly cheaply into Kiev
b) What other cities to visit. I would like to hit up Bratislava, and perhaps swing down through Slovenia and Croatia. I have been to Vienna and Budapest before, but am not against returning.
c) Depending on the answer to b), what is the best way to get around? Most people think night trains, but they can be upwards of 16 hrs, which seems a touch extreme. Would renting a car from just inside the Ukrainian border and driving to Kiev and back to the rental city, and then doing trains the rest of the way be worthwhile, or just a huge waste of time/effort?
Sorry for the verbal barfing of ideas in my head. I've been looking at maps and Fodor forums and googling airlines (Wizz Air, etc) for about 8 hrs and can't find any concrete solutions.
Cheers in advance
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 My 3 Day Umbrian Plan. What do you think?
- 2 I'm moving to Italy...one way or another
- 3 Anchovies and Sardines
- 4 Cyprus or Turkey for a beach holiday?
- 5 Italy/ Sicily - Help with area west of Palermo
- 6 Paris restaurants in/near 12th arr.
- 7 Les bons plans de Whathello
- 8 Flight connection in CDG
- 9 Amsterdam, Germany
- 10 Day trip from Marbella to the Alhambra
- 11 Ravenna Mosaics
- 12 Germany, Austria, Liechtenstein, Switzerland
- 13 Stonehenge After Hour tour
- 14 Rioja - Where to Stay the Night?
- 15 Greece Itinerary
- 16 France 2016: Paris--Avignon--Provence--Nice
- 17 Poland, Czech, Slovak Summer Holiday
- 18 Sept Help Needed Hotels & Timing: Budapest, Prague, Berlin, Amsterdam
- 19 Advice on these Madrid apartments and hostels please.
- 20 Books and Films about/set in Southern Italy
- 21 Help me choose a Central/Eastern Europe Itinerary
- 22 Swiss: 9 day trip
- 23 Our time in Rome
- 24 France for a month in 2017
- 25 Germany, May'16: Four seasons in three weeks.
Kiev (Kyiv) and surrounding cities - where to go (Euro 2012)