I've been digging through the archives and thought I'd consolidate some of the excellent questions/info I've found on this site.
I'm planning on going to Poland/Ukraine and other Eastern European countries next June, for Euro 2012. We have tickets to a match in Kiev (Kyiv) on June 19, and would like to be in the city for the Finals on July 1. This gives us about 1.5 weeks to play with.
We're having difficulty determining the following:
a) How to fly cheaply into Kiev
b) What other cities to visit. I would like to hit up Bratislava, and perhaps swing down through Slovenia and Croatia. I have been to Vienna and Budapest before, but am not against returning.
c) Depending on the answer to b), what is the best way to get around? Most people think night trains, but they can be upwards of 16 hrs, which seems a touch extreme. Would renting a car from just inside the Ukrainian border and driving to Kiev and back to the rental city, and then doing trains the rest of the way be worthwhile, or just a huge waste of time/effort?
Sorry for the verbal barfing of ideas in my head. I've been looking at maps and Fodor forums and googling airlines (Wizz Air, etc) for about 8 hrs and can't find any concrete solutions.
Cheers in advance
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Dollars exchange to pounds
- 2 Paris to Giverny train ticket sold out
- 3 What is the hostess gift you love to give or receive?
- 4 Capital One 360 Card -- Fees for Cash Withdrawal?
- 5 Shorts in South of France?
- 6 Anthropology and Archeology for the Turkey Traveler
- 7 First time to Spain: Seville & Madrid
- 8 3 week italy itinerary coming along! now need help with car/trains please
- 9 Slovenia or South Tyrol
- 10 Staying in Madrid for one night?
- 11 9 day Trip to Scotland
- 12 Neuschwanstein Castle and Munich
- 13 Montserrat, Spain - Sept 8 or Sept 10?
- 14 Return to Yorkshire to walk the Dales Way
- 15 Problem using American bank card in Turkey
- 16 London Theater
- 17 TRIP REPORT: Paris, Bordeaux, Dordogne, Toulouse, Provence, and more
- 18 Mid-late Oct in Slovenia?
- 19 Uber in Rome & Lisbon
- 20 Greece mainland and islands
- 21 Lyon france-- rental car
- 22 Last minute trip to Germany and Switzerland
- 23 Switzerland in September
- 24 Greece - 8 days - Recommendations please!
- 25 London: Big Ben- Last Call for 4 Years...
Kiev (Kyiv) and surrounding cities - where to go (Euro 2012)