I've been digging through the archives and thought I'd consolidate some of the excellent questions/info I've found on this site.
I'm planning on going to Poland/Ukraine and other Eastern European countries next June, for Euro 2012. We have tickets to a match in Kiev (Kyiv) on June 19, and would like to be in the city for the Finals on July 1. This gives us about 1.5 weeks to play with.
We're having difficulty determining the following:
a) How to fly cheaply into Kiev
b) What other cities to visit. I would like to hit up Bratislava, and perhaps swing down through Slovenia and Croatia. I have been to Vienna and Budapest before, but am not against returning.
c) Depending on the answer to b), what is the best way to get around? Most people think night trains, but they can be upwards of 16 hrs, which seems a touch extreme. Would renting a car from just inside the Ukrainian border and driving to Kiev and back to the rental city, and then doing trains the rest of the way be worthwhile, or just a huge waste of time/effort?
Sorry for the verbal barfing of ideas in my head. I've been looking at maps and Fodor forums and googling airlines (Wizz Air, etc) for about 8 hrs and can't find any concrete solutions.
Cheers in advance
Kiev (Kyiv) and surrounding cities - where to go (Euro 2012)
- 1 7 days in Andalucia
- 2 London for Christmas
- 3 Ira Has Been Kidnapped
- 4 Are they doing this yet in Paris and Rome?
- 5 San Sebastian and 2 day trips into France...lodging and places to see
- 6 Looking for a serviced apartment in York
- 7 Bells, Balls and a Basilica – Cooking in Abruzzo; Eating & Drinking In Rome
- 8 Home from Rome - a trip report
- 9 Anniversary Weekend in Paris
- 10 To Paris and Provence in June
- 11 Lake District, Hawkshead or Keswick?
- 12 Venice passes....confusing as heck!
- 13 How to get from airport to Venice city
- 14 Costa del Sol (Spain) versus Cote d Azur (France) ??
- 15 London's Proposed New Airport...
- 16 A full week in The Netherlands
- 17 3 nights in Bayeux, FRANCE...how to make the most of our days in winter?
- 18 Buying a house in the Languedoc - the hunt begins
- 19 Rental Agency Recommendation
- 20 Apartments in Rome
- 21 Popping in and out of Ireland
- 22 Prague - must see
- 23 Hungary and Czech Republic
- 24 jewlery or no jewlery?
- 25 all white pottery shop near La Deniere Goutte Wine Shop