I've been digging through the archives and thought I'd consolidate some of the excellent questions/info I've found on this site.
I'm planning on going to Poland/Ukraine and other Eastern European countries next June, for Euro 2012. We have tickets to a match in Kiev (Kyiv) on June 19, and would like to be in the city for the Finals on July 1. This gives us about 1.5 weeks to play with.
We're having difficulty determining the following:
a) How to fly cheaply into Kiev
b) What other cities to visit. I would like to hit up Bratislava, and perhaps swing down through Slovenia and Croatia. I have been to Vienna and Budapest before, but am not against returning.
c) Depending on the answer to b), what is the best way to get around? Most people think night trains, but they can be upwards of 16 hrs, which seems a touch extreme. Would renting a car from just inside the Ukrainian border and driving to Kiev and back to the rental city, and then doing trains the rest of the way be worthwhile, or just a huge waste of time/effort?
Sorry for the verbal barfing of ideas in my head. I've been looking at maps and Fodor forums and googling airlines (Wizz Air, etc) for about 8 hrs and can't find any concrete solutions.
Cheers in advance
Kiev (Kyiv) and surrounding cities - where to go (Euro 2012)
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Paul Bocuse restaurant in Lyon
- 2 Switzerland's Iconic Postal Buses...A Whole Different Switzerland!
- 3 Sorrento - 2.5 days itinerary help
- 4 Turkey 2015-Happy B-day to Me
- 5 Weather in the dolomites
- 6 I was (partially) wrong about debit cards vs. cash
- 7 May in southern Italy--Sorrento/Capri and Puglia
- 8 Finalizing plans for September trip - is this doable
- 9 Which to fly into....Milan or Rome?
- 10 Can you help me make calls in Italy?
- 11 Newgrange to Galway
- 12 Frankfurt Airport: 2 hours from touchdown to train. Go for it???
- 13 London hotel tax is 20%
- 14 Blackpool Lights 2014: Tripping the Lights Fantastic in Northern England!
- 15 Finalizing our Austria and Switzerland trip - last minute advice?
- 16 Aaah...Umbria!
- 17 Cheap way to go from milan to munich, Salzburg, Berlin then back to milan
- 18 ParisBestLodge Marais Apartment
- 19 Ghent or Paris?
- 20 Trip Report: Arles, Dordogne and Paris, June-July 2014
- 21 How do you organize yourself on vacation?
- 22 Prague Tour Guides and Castle Tickets
- 23 Paris-Immersion School in the Dordogne-Languedoc-Aix & Lessons Learned
- 24 Help for San Sebastian
- 25 great restaurant choice for normandy