I've been digging through the archives and thought I'd consolidate some of the excellent questions/info I've found on this site.
I'm planning on going to Poland/Ukraine and other Eastern European countries next June, for Euro 2012. We have tickets to a match in Kiev (Kyiv) on June 19, and would like to be in the city for the Finals on July 1. This gives us about 1.5 weeks to play with.
We're having difficulty determining the following:
a) How to fly cheaply into Kiev
b) What other cities to visit. I would like to hit up Bratislava, and perhaps swing down through Slovenia and Croatia. I have been to Vienna and Budapest before, but am not against returning.
c) Depending on the answer to b), what is the best way to get around? Most people think night trains, but they can be upwards of 16 hrs, which seems a touch extreme. Would renting a car from just inside the Ukrainian border and driving to Kiev and back to the rental city, and then doing trains the rest of the way be worthwhile, or just a huge waste of time/effort?
Sorry for the verbal barfing of ideas in my head. I've been looking at maps and Fodor forums and googling airlines (Wizz Air, etc) for about 8 hrs and can't find any concrete solutions.
Cheers in advance
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Arrival day suggestions (South Kensington)
- 2 Oct '16 Tuscany assistance
- 3 Earthquake info for Perugia and Assisi
- 4 Glasgow and surrounding area help
- 5 Viator's Tuscany in one day sightseeing tour
- 6 from Charles de Gaulle to central Paris
- 7 3 Weeks in Italy near Milan
- 8 Going to Spain? Watch this movie.
- 9 Drinks in Spain
- 10 12 days europe
- 11 Second thoughts on Lucerne as base
- 12 Which Dordogne caves can be easily seen without advance reservations?
- 13 13 days in Paris, plans and budget
- 14 Ali
- 15 Christmas Week in London
- 16 Travel from Dublin Airport to Sligo City
- 17 Ireland Trip + 3 days in Dublin
- 18 Day Trip to Greenland from Reykjavik
- 19 Too much for one day?
- 20 Travel WiFi - France
- 21 Italy for the first time
- 22 Heat wave in Paris? Learn to live with it!
- 23 RFID Protection
- 24 Iceland: The Land of Fire and Ice
- 25 Germany and Austria trip report
Kiev (Kyiv) and surrounding cities - where to go (Euro 2012)