I've been digging through the archives and thought I'd consolidate some of the excellent questions/info I've found on this site.
I'm planning on going to Poland/Ukraine and other Eastern European countries next June, for Euro 2012. We have tickets to a match in Kiev (Kyiv) on June 19, and would like to be in the city for the Finals on July 1. This gives us about 1.5 weeks to play with.
We're having difficulty determining the following:
a) How to fly cheaply into Kiev
b) What other cities to visit. I would like to hit up Bratislava, and perhaps swing down through Slovenia and Croatia. I have been to Vienna and Budapest before, but am not against returning.
c) Depending on the answer to b), what is the best way to get around? Most people think night trains, but they can be upwards of 16 hrs, which seems a touch extreme. Would renting a car from just inside the Ukrainian border and driving to Kiev and back to the rental city, and then doing trains the rest of the way be worthwhile, or just a huge waste of time/effort?
Sorry for the verbal barfing of ideas in my head. I've been looking at maps and Fodor forums and googling airlines (Wizz Air, etc) for about 8 hrs and can't find any concrete solutions.
Cheers in advance
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Giving credit card details to Hotels for reservation
- 2 Paris Austerlitz to CDG on a weekday morning
- 3 Favorite European cemeteries?
- 4 Welltravbrit's London Sojourn - An Ongoing Trip Report
- 5 Edinburg for 24 hous
- 6 Best location to stay in Seville
- 7 2 weeks in France next May
- 8 Vienna to Salzburg Please Help
- 9 Going to Montmartre from Gare du Nord totally off the beaten track
- 10 12 days in Italy
- 11 Tech challenged: US car charger for IPHONE work in France and Italy
- 12 Day Trip to Sorrento - Help!
- 13 The cathedral of Amiens in color
- 14 Sacred Christian Places in Athens
- 15 Globus vs. Insight for Italy
- 16 The ever-popular Chip and Pin Credit Card
- 17 Buying Scrovegni Chapel tickets & Padova Card together
- 18 Our Next Europe Trip
- 19 Sunday Markets in Paris
- 20 How to rent a car...
- 21 Balleseede Castle in Trallee or Killarney
- 22 Most beautiful cities in Europe?
- 23 Itinerary tips for first timers
- 24 Paris - for the 6th time - need new ideas!
- 25 Ski resorts on Christmas Day/Eve in Switzerland
Kiev (Kyiv) and surrounding cities - where to go (Euro 2012)