I've been digging through the archives and thought I'd consolidate some of the excellent questions/info I've found on this site.
I'm planning on going to Poland/Ukraine and other Eastern European countries next June, for Euro 2012. We have tickets to a match in Kiev (Kyiv) on June 19, and would like to be in the city for the Finals on July 1. This gives us about 1.5 weeks to play with.
We're having difficulty determining the following:
a) How to fly cheaply into Kiev
b) What other cities to visit. I would like to hit up Bratislava, and perhaps swing down through Slovenia and Croatia. I have been to Vienna and Budapest before, but am not against returning.
c) Depending on the answer to b), what is the best way to get around? Most people think night trains, but they can be upwards of 16 hrs, which seems a touch extreme. Would renting a car from just inside the Ukrainian border and driving to Kiev and back to the rental city, and then doing trains the rest of the way be worthwhile, or just a huge waste of time/effort?
Sorry for the verbal barfing of ideas in my head. I've been looking at maps and Fodor forums and googling airlines (Wizz Air, etc) for about 8 hrs and can't find any concrete solutions.
Cheers in advance
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 One Step at a Time - julia_t begins the Camino de Santiago
- 2 Amalfi Coast: Minori or Maiori
- 3 Holding bags in Paris
- 4 Coming to London. Drinks, dinner?
- 5 which dordogne caves AND in which order?
- 6 Giverny vs. Versailles
- 7 Visiting Cornwall September 2016
- 8 Where to stay in Delft and Antwerp
- 9 Transportation from Bordeaux to San Sebastián
- 10 2 weeks in Europe in April
- 11 Help to plan a better itinerary for 12 days Europe tour in Winter 2015
- 12 Thinking of ROME? Really???
- 13 Travel to France & Switzerland with my daughter next summer
- 14 Traveling in between Paris and Nantes via TVG
- 15 All French taxis now obliged to accept cards
- 16 Stockholm/Copenhagen/Norway?
- 17 Help! Trains to Brugge from Brussels
- 18 How to enjoy Paris on a low/moderate budget?
- 19 CAPITALIZING ON THE CAPITALS: Central Europe
- 20 Venturing even further
- 21 Rome
- 22 Heavily armed police in Le Marais?
- 23 Winter on the Cote d'Azur ??
- 24 Paris in April
- 25 2 Week Honeymoon-Sept 2016-Italy/Spain
Kiev (Kyiv) and surrounding cities - where to go (Euro 2012)