I've been digging through the archives and thought I'd consolidate some of the excellent questions/info I've found on this site.
I'm planning on going to Poland/Ukraine and other Eastern European countries next June, for Euro 2012. We have tickets to a match in Kiev (Kyiv) on June 19, and would like to be in the city for the Finals on July 1. This gives us about 1.5 weeks to play with.
We're having difficulty determining the following:
a) How to fly cheaply into Kiev
b) What other cities to visit. I would like to hit up Bratislava, and perhaps swing down through Slovenia and Croatia. I have been to Vienna and Budapest before, but am not against returning.
c) Depending on the answer to b), what is the best way to get around? Most people think night trains, but they can be upwards of 16 hrs, which seems a touch extreme. Would renting a car from just inside the Ukrainian border and driving to Kiev and back to the rental city, and then doing trains the rest of the way be worthwhile, or just a huge waste of time/effort?
Sorry for the verbal barfing of ideas in my head. I've been looking at maps and Fodor forums and googling airlines (Wizz Air, etc) for about 8 hrs and can't find any concrete solutions.
Cheers in advance
Kiev (Kyiv) and surrounding cities - where to go (Euro 2012)
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Thanks to Fodorites for help planning Paris/London trip
- 2 Need Advice on 18 Days into Madrid, out of Bilbao
- 3 Spending money in Italy?
- 4 18 DAYS IN VIENNA, 7 DAYS WITH A 4-YEAR-OLD
- 5 Help! Just 3 nights in CROATIA: where should we go?
- 6 Help! Only a few days in CROTIA: where would you go?
- 7 first family trip to Switzerland
- 8 17 amazing days in Tuscany, Positano and Rome – June 2014!
- 9 St. Paul's Cathedral bells
- 10 7 weeks Europe with toddler - Itinerary advice
- 11 Stockholm/Archipelago Dinner Cruise
- 12 Vienna.stay in pension.
- 13 Spain for 7 days
- 14 Biking across Europe
- 15 Rioja in one day on way to Basque
- 16 Vacation Rental Home near Barcelona with 8 bed/8 bath help
- 17 London: Oyster Card or Travelcard?
- 18 Normandy in October
- 19 Itinerey help for a 27 day trip to Europe for April of 2015
- 20 I went to Paris in June
- 21 "Cool" places for dinner in Rome when it's hot
- 22 Paris in October solo - potpourri of questions
- 23 One month in Puglia and Matera
- 24 A week in Basque Country: Bilbao, San Sebastian, Biarritz
- 25 Guesthouses in Dublin