I've been digging through the archives and thought I'd consolidate some of the excellent questions/info I've found on this site.
I'm planning on going to Poland/Ukraine and other Eastern European countries next June, for Euro 2012. We have tickets to a match in Kiev (Kyiv) on June 19, and would like to be in the city for the Finals on July 1. This gives us about 1.5 weeks to play with.
We're having difficulty determining the following:
a) How to fly cheaply into Kiev
b) What other cities to visit. I would like to hit up Bratislava, and perhaps swing down through Slovenia and Croatia. I have been to Vienna and Budapest before, but am not against returning.
c) Depending on the answer to b), what is the best way to get around? Most people think night trains, but they can be upwards of 16 hrs, which seems a touch extreme. Would renting a car from just inside the Ukrainian border and driving to Kiev and back to the rental city, and then doing trains the rest of the way be worthwhile, or just a huge waste of time/effort?
Sorry for the verbal barfing of ideas in my head. I've been looking at maps and Fodor forums and googling airlines (Wizz Air, etc) for about 8 hrs and can't find any concrete solutions.
Cheers in advance
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 AIr France on strike ... as usual.
- 2 Avoid Viking River Cruises
- 3 England in a week - what's realistic
- 4 Restaurants and sights in Puglia
- 5 0ne day trip from Lisbon to Porto
- 6 Les bons plans de Whathello
- 7 gare de nord
- 8 Do you recommend a walking tour of Trogir
- 9 Help needed for Netherlands itinerary please
- 10 Paris, the Bernese Oberland, and Bavaria with 2 kids
- 11 France 2016: Paris--Avignon--Provence--Nice
- 12 Visiting St. Mark's Basilica in Venice
- 13 Barcelona extension
- 14 Our time in Rome
- 15 Has anyone used their Pass Navogo for more than 10 years?
- 16 Enjoying England for a year!
- 17 My First Trip to Europe...
- 18 French Riviera
- 19 Madrid city centre?
- 20 Southern Italy
- 21 Ireland driving itinerary
- 22 Stonehenge and Bath
- 23 French Gov't Passes New Labor Law Despite...
- 24 Iceland: When to Go
- 25 Ian McKellen & Patrick Stewart in No Man's Land
Kiev (Kyiv) and surrounding cities - where to go (Euro 2012)