I've been digging through the archives and thought I'd consolidate some of the excellent questions/info I've found on this site.
I'm planning on going to Poland/Ukraine and other Eastern European countries next June, for Euro 2012. We have tickets to a match in Kiev (Kyiv) on June 19, and would like to be in the city for the Finals on July 1. This gives us about 1.5 weeks to play with.
We're having difficulty determining the following:
a) How to fly cheaply into Kiev
b) What other cities to visit. I would like to hit up Bratislava, and perhaps swing down through Slovenia and Croatia. I have been to Vienna and Budapest before, but am not against returning.
c) Depending on the answer to b), what is the best way to get around? Most people think night trains, but they can be upwards of 16 hrs, which seems a touch extreme. Would renting a car from just inside the Ukrainian border and driving to Kiev and back to the rental city, and then doing trains the rest of the way be worthwhile, or just a huge waste of time/effort?
Sorry for the verbal barfing of ideas in my head. I've been looking at maps and Fodor forums and googling airlines (Wizz Air, etc) for about 8 hrs and can't find any concrete solutions.
Cheers in advance
Kiev (Kyiv) and surrounding cities - where to go (Euro 2012)
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 BOS - CDG airfare in late April?
- 2 2000 years, 2 countries, 2 passports: Rome & Madrid, Jan. 2015
- 3 Germany and Switzerland
- 4 14 days in Russia, please help choose day trip out of Moscow/St. Petersburg
- 5 Advice required on my Switzerland Itinerary
- 6 Itinerary review - Family vacation to Spain
- 7 Spending time in Berner Oblerand - Take a side trip to Saas Fee?
- 8 Best places to shop for leather handbags in Florence
- 9 Great restaurants in Italy
- 10 Ireland itinerary and accommodations advice?
- 11 "Chip" Credit Cards in Italy
- 12 Zurich and other cities to visit?
- 13 MaiTaiTom's Paris When It Sizzles; Paris When It Fizzles Anniversary Trip
- 14 Trip Report: 10 Days in Spain
- 15 Greece after the Vote
- 16 Germany for 3 weeks
- 17 Amalfi coast in May
- 18 Napoli Centrale: Luggage/Storage Lockers?
- 19 Summer vacation in Greece for 2 weeks, need help w itinerary !!
- 20 What about hiring a coach in London?
- 21 10 day itinerary in Puglia
- 22 Ireland 6 days / 5 nights
- 23 Mandarijn Restaurant Amsterdam-good Chinese Restaurant Amsterdam
- 24 help regarding removal firm in london
- 25 overnight trip from Reykjavik