I've been digging through the archives and thought I'd consolidate some of the excellent questions/info I've found on this site.
I'm planning on going to Poland/Ukraine and other Eastern European countries next June, for Euro 2012. We have tickets to a match in Kiev (Kyiv) on June 19, and would like to be in the city for the Finals on July 1. This gives us about 1.5 weeks to play with.
We're having difficulty determining the following:
a) How to fly cheaply into Kiev
b) What other cities to visit. I would like to hit up Bratislava, and perhaps swing down through Slovenia and Croatia. I have been to Vienna and Budapest before, but am not against returning.
c) Depending on the answer to b), what is the best way to get around? Most people think night trains, but they can be upwards of 16 hrs, which seems a touch extreme. Would renting a car from just inside the Ukrainian border and driving to Kiev and back to the rental city, and then doing trains the rest of the way be worthwhile, or just a huge waste of time/effort?
Sorry for the verbal barfing of ideas in my head. I've been looking at maps and Fodor forums and googling airlines (Wizz Air, etc) for about 8 hrs and can't find any concrete solutions.
Cheers in advance
Kiev (Kyiv) and surrounding cities - where to go (Euro 2012)
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Sea side in Italy
- 2 Europe Quis ( Friday March 27 )
- 3 SoS!!! Rome Hotel Prices - Why soooo expensive????
- 4 MaiTaiTom's Paris When It Sizzles; Paris When It Fizzles Anniversary Trip
- 5 14 days in Italy. need some help
- 6 Where to stay 2 nights in la Céré France?
- 7 European Backpacking
- 8 Renting a car after train to Florence
- 9 Help! Itinerary suggestion for 35 days in Italy and France.
- 10 London, Vienna, Prague - theater recommendations
- 11 Itinerary Help- 12 day trip to Munich, Salzburg, Vienna and Prague
- 12 2 week Europe trip adivce
- 13 Small town /village within an hour of Dublin Airport
- 14 Spain in 17 days
- 15 Advice for Venice/Rome Trip
- 16 Booking Engines You trust?
- 17 Spain in 17 days
- 18 Amalfi, Capri, Sicily, Sardinia, or croatia
- 19 Does ticket to Delacroix allow entry to Louvre?
- 20 April long weekend - Munich v Innsbruck v Salzburg
- 21 Where should we go in early- to mid-May: Spain, Greece, Croatia?
- 22 Insight on budgeting
- 23 Our first trip to Europe
- 24 Buying handbags and shoes in Italy, how much should I budget?
- 25 To include Florence or Not....A Venice, (maybe Florence), and Rome trip