I've been digging through the archives and thought I'd consolidate some of the excellent questions/info I've found on this site.
I'm planning on going to Poland/Ukraine and other Eastern European countries next June, for Euro 2012. We have tickets to a match in Kiev (Kyiv) on June 19, and would like to be in the city for the Finals on July 1. This gives us about 1.5 weeks to play with.
We're having difficulty determining the following:
a) How to fly cheaply into Kiev
b) What other cities to visit. I would like to hit up Bratislava, and perhaps swing down through Slovenia and Croatia. I have been to Vienna and Budapest before, but am not against returning.
c) Depending on the answer to b), what is the best way to get around? Most people think night trains, but they can be upwards of 16 hrs, which seems a touch extreme. Would renting a car from just inside the Ukrainian border and driving to Kiev and back to the rental city, and then doing trains the rest of the way be worthwhile, or just a huge waste of time/effort?
Sorry for the verbal barfing of ideas in my head. I've been looking at maps and Fodor forums and googling airlines (Wizz Air, etc) for about 8 hrs and can't find any concrete solutions.
Cheers in advance
Kiev (Kyiv) and surrounding cities - where to go (Euro 2012)
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 proposed two week Greece itinerary
- 2 September Trip to Normandy/Brittany/Paris
- 3 How Well-Traveled Are You?
- 4 Better to rent a car in Venice or Padua?
- 5 Possible Italy and Paris Itinerary - any thoughts?
- 6 The Tweesters take a trip to BiH, Croatia and Slovenia
- 7 DVD players in France
- 8 2 Nights in the Pyrenees: Driving Barcelona to San Sebastian
- 9 Ireland with Kids in March - itinerary help
- 10 Trip Report: My Encounter With the Italian Hospital System
- 11 Greek Pelion....Homebase? Nice Accommodation?
- 12 Train from Sarlat
- 13 Trains
- 14 Help Please with itinerary between Pisa and Milan in Sept/Oct.
- 15 Mâché aux Puces from Garibaldi metro
- 16 Naples vs Sorrento
- 17 Cinque Terre trails
- 18 Easiest way to get from San Sebastian to Toulouse or Brive in France
- 19 Tedgale trip report: One glorious week in London, February, 2015
- 20 Paris Bastille Day
- 21 ATM cards in Spain - need chip or not?
- 22 Oh no more disruption planned for Spanish airports 2015
- 23 Itinerary Help- 12 day trip to Munich, Salzburg, Vienna and Prague
- 24 Liverpool to London
- 25 Spain 6 weeks itinerary help