I've been digging through the archives and thought I'd consolidate some of the excellent questions/info I've found on this site.
I'm planning on going to Poland/Ukraine and other Eastern European countries next June, for Euro 2012. We have tickets to a match in Kiev (Kyiv) on June 19, and would like to be in the city for the Finals on July 1. This gives us about 1.5 weeks to play with.
We're having difficulty determining the following:
a) How to fly cheaply into Kiev
b) What other cities to visit. I would like to hit up Bratislava, and perhaps swing down through Slovenia and Croatia. I have been to Vienna and Budapest before, but am not against returning.
c) Depending on the answer to b), what is the best way to get around? Most people think night trains, but they can be upwards of 16 hrs, which seems a touch extreme. Would renting a car from just inside the Ukrainian border and driving to Kiev and back to the rental city, and then doing trains the rest of the way be worthwhile, or just a huge waste of time/effort?
Sorry for the verbal barfing of ideas in my head. I've been looking at maps and Fodor forums and googling airlines (Wizz Air, etc) for about 8 hrs and can't find any concrete solutions.
Cheers in advance
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 England, Ireland, and France. What can I see in two weeks?
- 2 Car hire Uk/Ireland
- 3 Milan tours
- 4 Help in determining 2 weeks in Florence, Rome, and TBD location(??)
- 5 Flight Cost to Athens
- 6 10 days in Italy - Suggestions?
- 7 Day Trip near Paris
- 8 Validating train tickets - Germany, Switzwerland
- 9 My niece wants a one week student tour
- 10 Andalusia itinerary comments & advice please!
- 11 Second thoughts about pour Germany trip...help me !
- 12 London Itinerary - Late Summer
- 13 Paris authorities raid suspected illegal vacation rentals in 1er & 6er
- 14 Public Transportation in Vienna: Borderline Organized Crime
- 15 Lake Maggiore
- 16 Despite the fact that according to my amigos private
- 17 Bootcut jeans
- 18 Cadiz during Carnival? Other suggestions...
- 19 Honeymoon Plans London+Paris+??April-May
- 20 Amsterdam Transit
- 21 Pakistani on tourist visa in UK, where can I travel outside UK?
- 22 Kings Day in Amsterdam, local travel?
- 23 Doobie in Amsterdam
- 24 UK train question
- 25 Day trip suggestion from London
Kiev (Kyiv) and surrounding cities - where to go (Euro 2012)