I've been digging through the archives and thought I'd consolidate some of the excellent questions/info I've found on this site.
I'm planning on going to Poland/Ukraine and other Eastern European countries next June, for Euro 2012. We have tickets to a match in Kiev (Kyiv) on June 19, and would like to be in the city for the Finals on July 1. This gives us about 1.5 weeks to play with.
We're having difficulty determining the following:
a) How to fly cheaply into Kiev
b) What other cities to visit. I would like to hit up Bratislava, and perhaps swing down through Slovenia and Croatia. I have been to Vienna and Budapest before, but am not against returning.
c) Depending on the answer to b), what is the best way to get around? Most people think night trains, but they can be upwards of 16 hrs, which seems a touch extreme. Would renting a car from just inside the Ukrainian border and driving to Kiev and back to the rental city, and then doing trains the rest of the way be worthwhile, or just a huge waste of time/effort?
Sorry for the verbal barfing of ideas in my head. I've been looking at maps and Fodor forums and googling airlines (Wizz Air, etc) for about 8 hrs and can't find any concrete solutions.
Cheers in advance
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Metro tickets in Paris
- 2 Interesting new site in Utrecht
- 3 Hotels in Barcelona
- 4 Iceland - a brief trip report
- 5 Ann Frank House
- 6 London(ish) calling. 33C at 10:00am!
- 7 short trip klon to koblenz
- 8 Paris Visite pass
- 9 Blonde in Amsterdam & Paris: Van Gogh, Gables & the Gare d'Orsay
- 10 Trip Report: Eight Days in Amsterdam and Belgium
- 11 Barcelona Itinerary
- 12 railfrom amstedam to reims fr
- 13 A week in Vienna
- 14 50 and Fabulous in 2015---need help planning my trip to Amalfi, FINALLY
- 15 Bath or Exeter
- 16 Is my itinerary the Best of Switzerland?
- 17 Beautiful Engadin is suffering
- 18 air conditioning
- 19 Fall 2016 England andScotland
- 20 Backpacking Europe with my Bestfriend (18yo f)
- 21 Travel tips for Budapest-July 2016
- 22 Self-driving in Iceland
- 23 Spain (Ibiza or Majorca)
- 24 Trip Report: Berlin
- 25 German itinerary advice ending in Baltic cruise
Kiev (Kyiv) and surrounding cities - where to go (Euro 2012)