I've been digging through the archives and thought I'd consolidate some of the excellent questions/info I've found on this site.
I'm planning on going to Poland/Ukraine and other Eastern European countries next June, for Euro 2012. We have tickets to a match in Kiev (Kyiv) on June 19, and would like to be in the city for the Finals on July 1. This gives us about 1.5 weeks to play with.
We're having difficulty determining the following:
a) How to fly cheaply into Kiev
b) What other cities to visit. I would like to hit up Bratislava, and perhaps swing down through Slovenia and Croatia. I have been to Vienna and Budapest before, but am not against returning.
c) Depending on the answer to b), what is the best way to get around? Most people think night trains, but they can be upwards of 16 hrs, which seems a touch extreme. Would renting a car from just inside the Ukrainian border and driving to Kiev and back to the rental city, and then doing trains the rest of the way be worthwhile, or just a huge waste of time/effort?
Sorry for the verbal barfing of ideas in my head. I've been looking at maps and Fodor forums and googling airlines (Wizz Air, etc) for about 8 hrs and can't find any concrete solutions.
Cheers in advance
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 my itinary for Florence and Tuscany
- 2 Scotland
- 3 Visiting Cornwall without a car?
- 4 tipping
- 5 Cell Phone Data in Multiple Countries
- 6 Domme or Monpazier?
- 7 Who Tips In Paris Cafes and How Much?
- 8 How to travel from Heathrow Airport to Bath,England
- 9 Need help with logistics for visit to Dordogne area, please.
- 10 Italy Itinerary Help!
- 11 Long Weekend in Lovely Amsterdam
- 12 Evening transfer from Capri to Sorrento
- 13 One suitcase or two for two weeks in Italy
- 14 One week trip in early May in the fjords region in Norway
- 15 The most interesting city/town in the UK-in your opinion
- 16 Switzerland itinerary
- 17 Moselle and Rhine by car in June
- 18 The DCC scam is spreading
- 19 Edinburgh Conference Centre, Riccarton -- nearby hotels?
- 20 Best street art tour in Berlin
- 21 Eurail or Direct tickets?
- 22 10 full days in Italy, creating an itinerary based on interests
- 23 What clothes?
- 24 Norwegian natives: Where can I get a Grandiosa Pizza?!
- 25 Help with our Provence Itinerary
Kiev (Kyiv) and surrounding cities - where to go (Euro 2012)