I've been digging through the archives and thought I'd consolidate some of the excellent questions/info I've found on this site.
I'm planning on going to Poland/Ukraine and other Eastern European countries next June, for Euro 2012. We have tickets to a match in Kiev (Kyiv) on June 19, and would like to be in the city for the Finals on July 1. This gives us about 1.5 weeks to play with.
We're having difficulty determining the following:
a) How to fly cheaply into Kiev
b) What other cities to visit. I would like to hit up Bratislava, and perhaps swing down through Slovenia and Croatia. I have been to Vienna and Budapest before, but am not against returning.
c) Depending on the answer to b), what is the best way to get around? Most people think night trains, but they can be upwards of 16 hrs, which seems a touch extreme. Would renting a car from just inside the Ukrainian border and driving to Kiev and back to the rental city, and then doing trains the rest of the way be worthwhile, or just a huge waste of time/effort?
Sorry for the verbal barfing of ideas in my head. I've been looking at maps and Fodor forums and googling airlines (Wizz Air, etc) for about 8 hrs and can't find any concrete solutions.
Cheers in advance
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Lechazo in Castilla; Burgos; Extebarri; Getaria; SS (??)
- 2 After Bordeaux - any suggestions?
- 3 experiences in Paris and Amalfi Coast
- 4 Getting a rheum in Paris, then Django Fest week in Fontainebleau
- 5 Travel help laundary
- 6 Return to Paris after 15 Years
- 7 Restaurant recommendations Athens
- 8 Almafi Coast Vs. French Riviera
- 9 Bruges to Brussels Central
- 10 Itinerary for 3 weeks in Italy
- 11 Paris tipping hotel maids
- 12 Is credit card rental car insurance worth it??
- 13 Croatia to Italy last week in September through October (Bernina Express?)
- 14 Getting to Cinque Terre from Croatia
- 15 Train to Sorrento
- 16 Trip Report - Portugal February 2015
- 17 Visiting Exciting Turkey in the Throes of Restoration
- 18 6 nights in Dublin
- 19 Kerry /Dingle Bus Tour
- 20 Trip Report: Ghent, Normandy and Brittany
- 21 "Meals Game Plan" for Rome, Sorrento, and Florence, per piacere.?
- 22 Puglia and Matera
- 23 Going to Istanbul for 3 days
- 24 Help with 1 week in Normandy / Loire Valley
- 25 MaiTaiTom's "Insane For Spain" - 2015
Kiev (Kyiv) and surrounding cities - where to go (Euro 2012)