I've been digging through the archives and thought I'd consolidate some of the excellent questions/info I've found on this site.
I'm planning on going to Poland/Ukraine and other Eastern European countries next June, for Euro 2012. We have tickets to a match in Kiev (Kyiv) on June 19, and would like to be in the city for the Finals on July 1. This gives us about 1.5 weeks to play with.
We're having difficulty determining the following:
a) How to fly cheaply into Kiev
b) What other cities to visit. I would like to hit up Bratislava, and perhaps swing down through Slovenia and Croatia. I have been to Vienna and Budapest before, but am not against returning.
c) Depending on the answer to b), what is the best way to get around? Most people think night trains, but they can be upwards of 16 hrs, which seems a touch extreme. Would renting a car from just inside the Ukrainian border and driving to Kiev and back to the rental city, and then doing trains the rest of the way be worthwhile, or just a huge waste of time/effort?
Sorry for the verbal barfing of ideas in my head. I've been looking at maps and Fodor forums and googling airlines (Wizz Air, etc) for about 8 hrs and can't find any concrete solutions.
Cheers in advance
Kiev (Kyiv) and surrounding cities - where to go (Euro 2012)
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Giverny in early October?
- 2 train in Spain
- 3 economy car rentals
- 4 Air France strike
- 5 visit a working farm in Southern Ireland
- 6 Barcelona free tours??
- 7 Voltage in UK and France
- 8 18 days - Turkey, Greece and Italy
- 9 Madrid Apartment Rentals
- 10 Eleanor's Pages
- 11 Renfe site
- 12 Hurtigruten Cruise excursions alternatives, coast of Norway
- 13 4-5 Days in Switzerland before Paris? Is Berne the place to go?
- 14 Montreuil, Rue Colbert
- 15 Spain Night Train in Recliner
- 16 london in 2.5 days
- 17 Last minute ideas anyone?
- 18 Nuit Blanche 2014
- 19 Spain - looking for a historic town and beach town
- 20 Another Maitai Pre-Adventure Conundrum
- 21 Alterations to night trains routes
- 22 Interested In Coach Passes
- 23 Amsterdam neighborhood to stay for 2 weeks
- 24 Where to stay one night during our drive from Amboise to Avignon?
- 25 Two Days in Prague