I'm a 27 year old woman traveling to London for work, but managed to sneak in a bit of a holiday beforehand I'm leaving in a week - cue panic - so any advice is much appreciated! I have an outline of an itinerary that may be too ambitious/vague (not a good combination), so I out could really use a sanity check and recommendations to help me narrow in. For me, Bath and York are unmissable; the Cotswolds seem lovely and are half-way between but I worry about the volume of tourists there in early August, and whether I will be too limited by my restriction to public transport (no car). I threw Wales into the mix but am ok with skipping and adding a day to Yorkshire if it will be rushed/am not doing justice to it.
I also have a weekend at my disposal later on that I was going to reserve for exploring London more or taking day trips, so some stops (eg Oxford/Stratford upon Avon) could be postponed til then.
Day 1, Sunday: Afternoon arrival in London
Day 2, Monday: Morning train to York
Day 3, Tuesday: Day trips in Yorkshire (eg Castle Howard, Haworth)
Day 4, Wednesday: Travel to Cotswolds (eg Chipping Campden)
Day 5, Thursday: Cotswolds
Day 6, Friday: Day trip to Oxford or Stratford upon Avon
Day 7, Saturday: South Wales (Cardiff? Chepstow?). Travel to Bath.
Day 8, Sunday: Day in Bath. Return London by evening
I'm looking to see historical buildings, enjoy beautiful countryside, and talk to old-timers in local pubs, rather than necessarily hit all the tourist "hot spots". Thank you in advance for your suggestions!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Cyclades w/kids & my ruins-fanatic DH (itin and accommodation advice)
- 2 Russia in two weeks in December
- 3 Itinerary for 5 adults, 3 kids, 2 weeks, & 1 holiday adventure!
- 4 Requesting feedback on proposed itinerary—London, Cornwall, and Wales, June 2018
- 5 FRANCE 10 YEARS ON: Paris Dordogne Albi Toulouse Arles S Rhone and Nice
- 6 Finalized my Summer 2018 Italy Honeymoon Itinerary!
- 7 Christmas Day in Granada
- 8 Base recommendation for Mosel and Rhine
- 9 car insurance italy
- 10 First, jet lagged day, in Barcelona
- 11 Liberation of Auschwitz 70 years ago
- 12 Venice/Mestre
- 13 Itinerary advice Greece Nov 18-26
- 14 Ger’s Italian Trip Report: Padua, Ferrara, Siena, Perugia and Florence
- 15 Spanish Medical Providers
- 16 Transylvania - June 2018
- 17 Italy Car Scam
- 18 No Trains in January Paris to Venice?
- 19 Ok then, what trip was difficult to organize?
- 20 Krakow
- 21 How can I stay in Italy for more than 90 days?
- 22 Quizz !
- 23 Pay attention to your watches !
- 24 13 Nights Greece, first time, April 2018. HELP
- 25 London Under the Path: Riding the Underground Mail Rail Line