I'm a 27 year old woman traveling to London for work, but managed to sneak in a bit of a holiday beforehand I'm leaving in a week - cue panic - so any advice is much appreciated! I have an outline of an itinerary that may be too ambitious/vague (not a good combination), so I out could really use a sanity check and recommendations to help me narrow in. For me, Bath and York are unmissable; the Cotswolds seem lovely and are half-way between but I worry about the volume of tourists there in early August, and whether I will be too limited by my restriction to public transport (no car). I threw Wales into the mix but am ok with skipping and adding a day to Yorkshire if it will be rushed/am not doing justice to it.
I also have a weekend at my disposal later on that I was going to reserve for exploring London more or taking day trips, so some stops (eg Oxford/Stratford upon Avon) could be postponed til then.
Day 1, Sunday: Afternoon arrival in London
Day 2, Monday: Morning train to York
Day 3, Tuesday: Day trips in Yorkshire (eg Castle Howard, Haworth)
Day 4, Wednesday: Travel to Cotswolds (eg Chipping Campden)
Day 5, Thursday: Cotswolds
Day 6, Friday: Day trip to Oxford or Stratford upon Avon
Day 7, Saturday: South Wales (Cardiff? Chepstow?). Travel to Bath.
Day 8, Sunday: Day in Bath. Return London by evening
I'm looking to see historical buildings, enjoy beautiful countryside, and talk to old-timers in local pubs, rather than necessarily hit all the tourist "hot spots". Thank you in advance for your suggestions!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Tripcho Travel Guided Tours
- 2 Scotland 10 Nights - Trying To Narrow Down Where To Go & Stay
- 3 Day trips ideas from Lausanne, Switzerland
- 4 Trains in Alps and UK
- 5 Switzerland
- 6 3-4 days Netherland trip
- 7 Amalfi coast hotel recs
- 8 January Sicily and exploding cornetto al cioccolato
- 9 solo guy traveling to europe help please
- 10 More earthquakes in central Italy
- 11 UK in July -- early planning stages
- 12 Itinerary help needed: 10-11 days in Calabria, Siciily, and (maybe) Puglia
- 13 Spending Money for 10 Days in France/Italy
- 14 2 Months - Dubrovnik to Frankfurt Itinerary
- 15 Need itinerary help! Dolomites to Austria through Hallstat to Venice
- 16 Swiss Alps in the Spring-Some Questions
- 17 CDG airport and connection time
- 18 Travelogue: Copenhagen with Kids
- 19 Travelogue: Norway with kids (Bergen & Fjord)
- 20 Travelogue: Sweden with kids
- 21 Train travel vs rental car in Slovenia and Croatia
- 22 Dash to Sicily January Advice hel....
- 23 If you had to choose one......
- 24 Where to buy Saffron?
- 25 EATING IN LISBON..first visit