I'll be traveling to Italy in late May and early June with my friend. This is our first time in Italy so most of our time will be in Rome, Florence and Venice. However I've set aside two nights for some smaller towns.
The first is between Venice and Florence. We will spend the night of May 24th, a Friday, as well as most of the next day, in either Modena or Parma. Initially I had my heart set on Modena because of the new Museo Enzo Ferrari and because I had heard good things about its food scene what with being between Parma and Bologna (not to mention that balsamic vinegar was invented there!)
But then some have said Parma is more beautiful and interesting. However, it doesn't have the Ferrari museum. I'm not even that big of a car geek, but it is something unique among all the old churches and museums of Italy. But, taken as a whole, is the atmosphere/ambience/food better (esp. based on what's in season) in Parma or Modena?
Same basic question goes for Oriveto and Perugia. We will spend one night in either one on May 29, a Wednesday. Unlike Modena/Parma, I wasn't attracted to either one more than the other initially, so I'm really confused. Both look beautiful, Orvieto perhaps moreso being on a cliff, but Perugia is a bit more lively, apparently? If anyone has stayed in both I would appreciate some insight.
We will not have a car.
Italy in late May: Modena vs. Parma and Orvieto vs. Perugia?
- 1 Restaurant reservations Rome, Tuscany, Venice
- 2 Prague - must see
- 3 Castle "ruins" Tirol, Austria, Bavaria, Switzerland ?
- 4 First timer! Trip to London over New Year's next year!
- 5 2 weeks in UK to visit my daughter at Queen Mary Univ Dec 15-28 2013
- 6 Advises for trip to Russia
- 7 ONE DAY IN PARIS PLEASE HELP!!
- 8 First time traveler to Ireland
- 9 Honeymoon Travel Advice Needed!
- 10 New to Fodors: Please help with beginning stages of husband/wife trip
- 11 Euro Train
- 12 2 Week(ish) Italian Honeymoon Itinerary Help - First Time Europe Travelers
- 13 Buying a house in the Languedoc - the hunt begins
- 14 Backpacking Europe beginners questions!
- 15 Two weeks in Northern Italy - what do you think of our outline?
- 16 Eurostar/Raileurope Advance Booking
- 17 Question-- York & North York Moors
- 18 Alps/countryside off the beaten path suggestion - daytrip near Zurich
- 19 need good quiet Paris hotel: possible?
- 20 March 2013: Barcelona, Rome and Prague Trip Report
- 21 Alsa Bus between Portugal and Spain
- 22 Planning 4 nights S / SE of London for my parents in their late 60s
- 23 A still, a hooker and a Dodo bird. Paris and Oberkirch.
- 24 Scotland this summer - some initial planning questions
- 25 Naples on Christmas Eve--Beluga Bar or George's?