I'll be traveling to Italy in late May and early June with my friend. This is our first time in Italy so most of our time will be in Rome, Florence and Venice. However I've set aside two nights for some smaller towns.
The first is between Venice and Florence. We will spend the night of May 24th, a Friday, as well as most of the next day, in either Modena or Parma. Initially I had my heart set on Modena because of the new Museo Enzo Ferrari and because I had heard good things about its food scene what with being between Parma and Bologna (not to mention that balsamic vinegar was invented there!)
But then some have said Parma is more beautiful and interesting. However, it doesn't have the Ferrari museum. I'm not even that big of a car geek, but it is something unique among all the old churches and museums of Italy. But, taken as a whole, is the atmosphere/ambience/food better (esp. based on what's in season) in Parma or Modena?
Same basic question goes for Oriveto and Perugia. We will spend one night in either one on May 29, a Wednesday. Unlike Modena/Parma, I wasn't attracted to either one more than the other initially, so I'm really confused. Both look beautiful, Orvieto perhaps moreso being on a cliff, but Perugia is a bit more lively, apparently? If anyone has stayed in both I would appreciate some insight.
We will not have a car.
Italy in late May: Modena vs. Parma and Orvieto vs. Perugia?
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Bernina and Glacier Express routes
- 2 Help on Norway please - too much to cover too little time.
- 3 Venice - things to do?
- 4 Quality > Quantity and Land > Cruise?
- 5 Italy/ Spain in December
- 6 Cross Border Car Rental in Balkans
- 7 Calling out to all Spain lovers! 2 weeks in mid Sep - need some new ideas!
- 8 Places for Solo Traveling Near Paris
- 9 Our completely revamped, circular tour of Andalucia--more help, please!
- 10 Where to stay two nights before flying from Heathrow?
- 11 Rental car scams in Italy
- 12 Two Twentysomethings in Central Europe ITINERARY
- 13 Rental Car in Paris
- 14 Seville Ronda Nerja Granada: Please critique Andalucia driving itinerary.
- 15 London, Vienna, Prague Trip Report -- Part 7 Cesky Krumlov and Prague
- 16 Please help with Itinerary Draft for Madrid, Andalucia
- 17 10 Days in Iceland
- 18 London & Area Itinerary Help
- 19 Visiting Exciting Turkey in the Throes of Restoration
- 20 Exploring W, S and SE with minimal backtracking
- 21 Advice on Euro-Trip Itinerary - Spain, France, Switzerland, Austria, Italy
- 22 Need Help, Iceland
- 23 France, Italy, Ireland ?
- 24 Hotel and activity recommendations in Basque Region??
- 25 2 week France Itinerary Opinions Please