I'll be traveling to Italy in late May and early June with my friend. This is our first time in Italy so most of our time will be in Rome, Florence and Venice. However I've set aside two nights for some smaller towns.
The first is between Venice and Florence. We will spend the night of May 24th, a Friday, as well as most of the next day, in either Modena or Parma. Initially I had my heart set on Modena because of the new Museo Enzo Ferrari and because I had heard good things about its food scene what with being between Parma and Bologna (not to mention that balsamic vinegar was invented there!)
But then some have said Parma is more beautiful and interesting. However, it doesn't have the Ferrari museum. I'm not even that big of a car geek, but it is something unique among all the old churches and museums of Italy. But, taken as a whole, is the atmosphere/ambience/food better (esp. based on what's in season) in Parma or Modena?
Same basic question goes for Oriveto and Perugia. We will spend one night in either one on May 29, a Wednesday. Unlike Modena/Parma, I wasn't attracted to either one more than the other initially, so I'm really confused. Both look beautiful, Orvieto perhaps moreso being on a cliff, but Perugia is a bit more lively, apparently? If anyone has stayed in both I would appreciate some insight.
We will not have a car.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Spanish leather -- women's leather vest
- 2 Second thoughts on Lucerne as base
- 3 To do afternoon of arrival in London
- 4 Guides - Matera
- 5 Amsterdam or any other city near London/Paris
- 6 First visit to France/Dordogne
- 7 Spain Itinerary Help
- 8 Zermatt in Winter - Non-skiers and Passes
- 9 Dordogne and Loire Valley
- 10 1 week in winter. Where to go?
- 11 Ravello to Paestum
- 12 Private Guide for Anhambra in Granada
- 13 15+ days in Sicily -- first crack at itinerary
- 14 What am I missing: Amsterdam
- 15 Italy, transport from Assiso to Cita di castello
- 16 Girona and Besalau
- 17 Europe 27 days trip, HELP!
- 18 London Itinerary and Questions
- 19 Germany, May'16: Four seasons in three weeks.
- 20 4 flats for a month in Ireland
- 21 Switzerland and Northern Italy
- 22 MiFi in Italy
- 23 4 Nights in London - Itinerary Details
- 24 Barcelona completely overrated
- 25 French lavender and cottages
Italy in late May: Modena vs. Parma and Orvieto vs. Perugia?