I'll be traveling to Italy in late May and early June with my friend. This is our first time in Italy so most of our time will be in Rome, Florence and Venice. However I've set aside two nights for some smaller towns.
The first is between Venice and Florence. We will spend the night of May 24th, a Friday, as well as most of the next day, in either Modena or Parma. Initially I had my heart set on Modena because of the new Museo Enzo Ferrari and because I had heard good things about its food scene what with being between Parma and Bologna (not to mention that balsamic vinegar was invented there!)
But then some have said Parma is more beautiful and interesting. However, it doesn't have the Ferrari museum. I'm not even that big of a car geek, but it is something unique among all the old churches and museums of Italy. But, taken as a whole, is the atmosphere/ambience/food better (esp. based on what's in season) in Parma or Modena?
Same basic question goes for Oriveto and Perugia. We will spend one night in either one on May 29, a Wednesday. Unlike Modena/Parma, I wasn't attracted to either one more than the other initially, so I'm really confused. Both look beautiful, Orvieto perhaps moreso being on a cliff, but Perugia is a bit more lively, apparently? If anyone has stayed in both I would appreciate some insight.
We will not have a car.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Barcelona - How much Gaudi?
- 2 Six Nights (and days) in the Marais
- 3 Urgent- Pleaseee HELP - Spain, Italy or France for Xmass and New years
- 4 Paris + Amsterdam: where to stay
- 5 Acropolis Athens
- 6 Mon Dieu! The Cops Are After Me
- 7 London: Flaming June and Pirates of Penzeance!
- 8 Buying iDTGV tickets at a station
- 9 Amsterdam and Germany 9 days
- 10 Another tipping question: concierges
- 11 Scotland-Looking for itinerary advice for 9 day trip
- 12 Private Tour from Malaga to Seville
- 13 Is Eiffel tower closed from 25-31 Dec?
- 14 Not a good time to fly into LGW
- 15 Input on Itinerary for Visit to Bavaria and Austria Fall 2017
- 16 Ideas for small group tour - Southern Spain
- 17 Trip Ideas
- 18 Vienna, Austria for 5 days in early June
- 19 IRELAND Magical Time-lapse Mediation of County Kerry Ireland
- 20 Madrid and Granada in Jan
- 21 Full day in Sintra..what to focus on
- 22 Boston to Le Marche - which airport?
- 23 Spain in July
- 24 Help!! 2 week Europe trip with 6 year old daughter in December!!
- 25 Travel options from Budapest to Zagreb
Italy in late May: Modena vs. Parma and Orvieto vs. Perugia?