I'll be traveling to Italy in late May and early June with my friend. This is our first time in Italy so most of our time will be in Rome, Florence and Venice. However I've set aside two nights for some smaller towns.
The first is between Venice and Florence. We will spend the night of May 24th, a Friday, as well as most of the next day, in either Modena or Parma. Initially I had my heart set on Modena because of the new Museo Enzo Ferrari and because I had heard good things about its food scene what with being between Parma and Bologna (not to mention that balsamic vinegar was invented there!)
But then some have said Parma is more beautiful and interesting. However, it doesn't have the Ferrari museum. I'm not even that big of a car geek, but it is something unique among all the old churches and museums of Italy. But, taken as a whole, is the atmosphere/ambience/food better (esp. based on what's in season) in Parma or Modena?
Same basic question goes for Oriveto and Perugia. We will spend one night in either one on May 29, a Wednesday. Unlike Modena/Parma, I wasn't attracted to either one more than the other initially, so I'm really confused. Both look beautiful, Orvieto perhaps moreso being on a cliff, but Perugia is a bit more lively, apparently? If anyone has stayed in both I would appreciate some insight.
We will not have a car.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Advice on Bethnal Green, Shoreditch area London
- 2 Train & Car Rental Logistics from Florence
- 3 Naples
- 4 ATM card woes in Dublin
- 5 Advice please: 10 days in South-West England with a toddler
- 6 Lisbon and Spain-"must see" advance tix?
- 7 how far in advance of flight to get to airport
- 8 venice/slovenia/croatia
- 9 21 Days Family Trip Croatia-Budapest-Vienna-Prague-Munich
- 10 Paris Architecture - tours or guides you can recommend?
- 11 London vacation, 1st time in UK
- 12 Passport 6-month validity requirement is for ENTRY date, not exit, right?
- 13 Milan airport to Duomo area by train?
- 14 Rental car return in Nice
- 15 I'm sorting out my stuff for the next trip.
- 16 Fodor's Boston GTG
- 17 Alhambra
- 18 Norway and Copenhagen - 13 days
- 19 Paris hotels
- 20 Paris, Versailles and Jet Lag
- 21 French open 2017
- 22 Burgos vs Leon, Avila vs Segovia
- 23 Solo backpacking for 5 weeks
- 24 Barcelona and Paris with Wine In-between
- 25 Best Way to Get Two Single Day-Grounds, French Open (tennis) Tickets?
Italy in late May: Modena vs. Parma and Orvieto vs. Perugia?