I'll be traveling to Italy in late May and early June with my friend. This is our first time in Italy so most of our time will be in Rome, Florence and Venice. However I've set aside two nights for some smaller towns.
The first is between Venice and Florence. We will spend the night of May 24th, a Friday, as well as most of the next day, in either Modena or Parma. Initially I had my heart set on Modena because of the new Museo Enzo Ferrari and because I had heard good things about its food scene what with being between Parma and Bologna (not to mention that balsamic vinegar was invented there!)
But then some have said Parma is more beautiful and interesting. However, it doesn't have the Ferrari museum. I'm not even that big of a car geek, but it is something unique among all the old churches and museums of Italy. But, taken as a whole, is the atmosphere/ambience/food better (esp. based on what's in season) in Parma or Modena?
Same basic question goes for Oriveto and Perugia. We will spend one night in either one on May 29, a Wednesday. Unlike Modena/Parma, I wasn't attracted to either one more than the other initially, so I'm really confused. Both look beautiful, Orvieto perhaps moreso being on a cliff, but Perugia is a bit more lively, apparently? If anyone has stayed in both I would appreciate some insight.
We will not have a car.
Italy in late May: Modena vs. Parma and Orvieto vs. Perugia?
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Mittenwald (or general vicinity)
- 2 A few ( stupid) questions 1st time to Paris
- 3 Warning NEVER BOOK at Castro Exclusive Residences Barcelona!
- 4 Walking and Hiking around Nice
- 5 Top 10 Don't Miss -- ROI and NI
- 6 Loire Valley - Private Driver/Guide
- 7 Italy Trip: Another Scrap With Friction
- 8 Trip report: Kayaking, Riding and fall in Split, Croatia
- 9 ...Got a speeding ticket in Spain...
- 10 Live ( almost) report from Greece!
- 11 Backpacking Europe in the Winter
- 12 NCAA Pigskin Week Six ? Picks?
- 13 Tentative Itinerary for London & south east UK
- 14 Parma- Uh, Oops- Historic Dist. Ticket
- 15 Can you help me with an Oyster Card?
- 16 "Or Like in Europe Where Folks Share Tables to Save Space"
- 17 Travel between Madrid and Caceres
- 18 A nine day whirl through Istanbul and Cappadocia
- 19 60 Minutes: Scathing Review of Italy's Care of Cultural Heritage...
- 20 Question on France travel
- 21 Lavido, Ireland? Where is it??
- 22 Public holiday Prague 17 Nov
- 23 Sweden For Christmas Ideas
- 24 Roaming Romania, Take Two
- 25 BEST OF FRANCE ROAD TRIP IN 30 DAYS- MAY 15