I'll be traveling to Italy in late May and early June with my friend. This is our first time in Italy so most of our time will be in Rome, Florence and Venice. However I've set aside two nights for some smaller towns.
The first is between Venice and Florence. We will spend the night of May 24th, a Friday, as well as most of the next day, in either Modena or Parma. Initially I had my heart set on Modena because of the new Museo Enzo Ferrari and because I had heard good things about its food scene what with being between Parma and Bologna (not to mention that balsamic vinegar was invented there!)
But then some have said Parma is more beautiful and interesting. However, it doesn't have the Ferrari museum. I'm not even that big of a car geek, but it is something unique among all the old churches and museums of Italy. But, taken as a whole, is the atmosphere/ambience/food better (esp. based on what's in season) in Parma or Modena?
Same basic question goes for Oriveto and Perugia. We will spend one night in either one on May 29, a Wednesday. Unlike Modena/Parma, I wasn't attracted to either one more than the other initially, so I'm really confused. Both look beautiful, Orvieto perhaps moreso being on a cliff, but Perugia is a bit more lively, apparently? If anyone has stayed in both I would appreciate some insight.
We will not have a car.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 How beautiful is Lisbon compared to other european ciites?
- 2 Munich
- 3 Prague hotels
- 4 Northern lights in December
- 5 Booking hotels before trains
- 6 Flights from Croatia
- 7 What to expect over Christmas
- 8 One month in southern Spain with little ones. Where to stay?
- 9 Best European Cities for Walking Challenged
- 10 Budapest
- 11 First time in France
- 12 Planning stages of trip to Andalusia
- 13 2 Months around Europe and the Balkans. Need help with itinerary!
- 14 Thoughts on an unusual itinerary for Northern Spain please
- 15 Copenhagen to Oslo to Amsterdam: Are we nuts?
- 16 Rome
- 17 Our week in Scotland—“againn san t-seachdain ann an Alba”
- 18 Eiffel Tower Fireworks Photos July 14th
- 19 English Countryside
- 20 When is Pope's schedule released for 2017?
- 21 First time to London - couple for lodging
- 22 Bologna, Florence, Venice 5 days
- 23 Vienna or Budapest?
- 24 Getting from Ljubljana to Plitvice Lakes
- 25 Need help in travel planning
Italy in late May: Modena vs. Parma and Orvieto vs. Perugia?