After many years of waiting and dreaming of being able to go to the UK for a trip with my daughter, it is going to happen! Depending on how much I determine this trip to be, we are thinking of either June or August 2015 or 2016. Budget wise, I am planning to have 6K for the two of us. We have already saved enough for plane fare- I am thinking +/-1200 each? Is that about right?
I am hoping that we can stay for two weeks, but that could change depending on the costs. Because my daughter will be working summers and is still in college, June or August will be the months we are targeting. Now for our itinerary. We are initially thinking:
Fly from DC to Heathrow 1 day travel 5 days in London. All of the normal touristy stuff, including a couple of plays, esp at the Globe Theatre! I am looking at staying at summer dorm accommodations at LSE or King's College (Hampstead). Has anyone done this to save $? Is 5 days too much?
Take train from Paddington Station to Moreton in Marsh. Hopefully find an inexpensive cottage to rent for this part of the trip. We love to walk and explore and the Cotwolds are one of the places we cannot wait to see! Suggestions for what town/where to find a neat cottage would be greatly appreciated. I hope I am up to renting a car. We will spend 4 days (incl travel) in the Cotswolds. See Stratford Upon Avon for my Shakespeare fanatical daughter! Warwick Castle too if we can. She wants to experience a castle or two ...is Warwick a good choice?
Now for the tail end of the trip, we are thinking of a couple of things. We could leave Moreton in Marsh by train and go to Oxford , take train to Edinburgh for the last 3 days, flying out of Glasgow.
Or see York for the last three days and train back to London to catch flight home.
I cannot wait to hear what you all think of this initial plan. Are we dividing up our time well, or trying to do too much? Change anything and everything if you think this is not doable or if you have a plan that you have done and worked well for you! Thank you in advance for your help!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Seeking advice on apt rental
- 2 credit and debit cards
- 3 Fabric Shops in Paris
- 4 A birthday dinner in Sevilla
- 5 Ottolenghi walk-ins?
- 6 Clean up spam
- 7 2 nights in the Montreux-Vevey-Lavaux area
- 8 Car Rental in France - Europcar
- 9 Is Sicily Safe?
- 10 Amalfi Coast, Italy
- 11 Car rental help in Sicily
- 12 No Reservations...our laidback Paris Christmas
- 13 alItalia
- 14 Time required from flight touchdown at Heathrow to King's Cross
- 15 Family Friendly Day Trips from Arezzo
- 16 A Scrumptious Slice of Slovenia
- 17 How to spend 3 days btwn Milan and Florence
- 18 Mykonos Beach Club
- 19 Suggestions for two night stay near Athens airport?
- 20 Advice getting from Robin Hood's Bay to London
- 21 The Dordogne - Stu Dudley's Updated Itinerary
- 22 Visit to Engand
- 23 13 nights in Portugal...need tuning !
- 24 Trip in September
- 25 Which city order makes most sense?
It is going to happen!So excited to finally plan our trip to the UK!