I am landing in Europe on April 2012 and want to buy a camper van to tour around for the summer, then sell it in July. My hope was to buy it in Eastern Europe or Turkey and drive it back to the UK.
My questions are:
1. Do you know of a camper van dealer/sale office list for Europe?
2. Is it better to buy from a private party? Are there websites to shop them?
3. Are certain countries cheaper than others? Quality?
4.Should I only be buying specific types? Petrol vs. Diesel? EU/UK exhaust system?
5. I was planning to just buy a VW, but there are other brands, any suggestions?
6. Insurance? I am an American with no EU residency, but have many friends that would register it for me and I do have a London mailing address. Will I be able to insure it?
7. Anything else I am missing?
I am most concern with getting the vehicle, registering and insuring it.
Type of Camper Van we are looking for:
We are looking for a Late 1990's or newer Campervan like a VW van with a pop-up roof, small kitchen and bed. Very clean inside. Something really reliable at approx. $5,000 or less. $4000 would be better. We plan to buy it and then resell it in the UK or Spain, so it would need to be a EU exhaust system? I guess.
Here are some examples although we prefer a VW, we'll consider all options.
VW Westfalia late 1990's or newer
VW T4 T5 with any standard conversion. stove bed, ice box, etc
VW TYPE 25 CAMPER
If there is anything you can do or if you know someone over there that can help, please let me know.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 4 Days in Europe! Paris, Lisbon, or...?
- 2 Hotels in Turin
- 3 Help on ancient history route
- 4 3 days solo in London
- 5 Chania
- 6 Days to Avoid Roussillon, Gordes, etc.
- 7 Now to Madrid
- 8 Charming hotels in Paris, please help.
- 9 Lunch in Lake Garda
- 10 Trip Report: The last hurrah? A fortnight in Lake Como
- 11 Village visit in Northern Italy
- 12 Natural History Museum: Wildlife Photographer of the Year
- 13 May Honeymoon in Sorrento?
- 14 Riviera di Ponente in mid October
- 15 Where to stay first night near Manchester
- 16 If you visit London, go to the Kew Gardens!
- 17 Sicily: which coast?
- 18 Packing for Sicily and Sardenia: Need anything Warm?
- 19 Day trips from Seville -Granada, Cadiz&Jerez or white villages
- 20 Frankfurt to Achen travel by train
- 21 stopover between antequerra and granada?
- 22 Laura and Steve's Spanish Adventure
- 23 Edinbrugh
- 24 Berlin to ?
- 25 Where Would You? (1 random night in Dec btwn Bologna and Montepulciano)