I am landing in Europe on April 2012 and want to buy a camper van to tour around for the summer, then sell it in July. My hope was to buy it in Eastern Europe or Turkey and drive it back to the UK.
My questions are:
1. Do you know of a camper van dealer/sale office list for Europe?
2. Is it better to buy from a private party? Are there websites to shop them?
3. Are certain countries cheaper than others? Quality?
4.Should I only be buying specific types? Petrol vs. Diesel? EU/UK exhaust system?
5. I was planning to just buy a VW, but there are other brands, any suggestions?
6. Insurance? I am an American with no EU residency, but have many friends that would register it for me and I do have a London mailing address. Will I be able to insure it?
7. Anything else I am missing?
I am most concern with getting the vehicle, registering and insuring it.
Type of Camper Van we are looking for:
We are looking for a Late 1990's or newer Campervan like a VW van with a pop-up roof, small kitchen and bed. Very clean inside. Something really reliable at approx. $5,000 or less. $4000 would be better. We plan to buy it and then resell it in the UK or Spain, so it would need to be a EU exhaust system? I guess.
Here are some examples although we prefer a VW, we'll consider all options.
VW Westfalia late 1990's or newer
VW T4 T5 with any standard conversion. stove bed, ice box, etc
VW TYPE 25 CAMPER
If there is anything you can do or if you know someone over there that can help, please let me know.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Charming areas to explore in London
- 2 Luggage storage Vienna railway
- 3 Alternative for Rustem Pasa Kulliyesi
- 4 Sweden, Estonia and Southern Croatia
- 5 Another Question re Scotland
- 6 Transportation and things to do around Malta from the Westin Dragona?
- 7 Accommodation Goze and Ostia Antic
- 8 NO Luggage Storage at Padua train station?
- 9 8-Week Itinerary in Europe (for my 40th Birthday)
- 10 Our Roman Holiday - 8 nights in the Eternal City
- 11 Tattoos in Italy
- 12 What's the biggest mistake you made on a European trip?
- 13 London/Edinburgh in a few weeks, what should I get done ahead of time?
- 14 Place to stay
- 15 Milan to Chamonix by bus
- 16 Transport from palace of versailles to Grand Trianon
- 17 BARCELONA! Tapas, tours & towers - flamenco, festas & food!
- 18 Nowhere 'safe' : London attack
- 19 9 days in Eastern Sicily
- 20 Weird trip - more time in A&E than sightseeing
- 21 After the Cinque Terre and before Genoa
- 22 Our (Somewhat) Laid Back Tour of Old Fave Stops in Italy
- 23 2 weeks from southern italy
- 24 Italy trip with kids - planning help?
- 25 Puglia: A question about eating @ a masseria