Need advice or suggestions for a cycling trip to Southern France. We (small group of 4) plan to fly into Marseille in early July, and take a train to Avignon. We'll use it as a base for 9 days to cycle and watch a stage of the Tour de France. After that we plan on heading for Lyon for the last 5 days to cycle and sight see. We would fly home out of Lyon. Any suggestions on routes or accommodations, ie...should we stay inside or outside the cities...realize Lyon is a big place! We will be bringing our road bikes and luggage, so don't want to be too far from the train stations, etc? Is Avignon a good base? We would like to do the Mt. Ventoux climb. Anything that others may have done, we'd love to hear about.
Thanks very much!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Sardinia, Italy
- 2 Scotland: Bluebells and Gorse, Castles and Stones, and NO Rain!
- 3 Into Barcelona out of Madrid !! Help!!?
- 4 Train from Rome to Naples
- 5 Spain to Morocco
- 6 Dijon or Beaune for overnight?
- 7 5 Ladies, 4 Destinations and 1 Month
- 8 3 days in Beaune / Dijon...any tips/recos?
- 9 Copenhagen / Stockholm trip advice
- 10 Charles De Gualle Airport, Paris to Eiffel Tower
- 11 Itinerary set for my grand Basque adventure
- 12 Lisbon to Porto by train
- 13 Where to stay in Emilia-Romagna for best food?
- 14 ATM skimmer - good example of a traveler finding one in Vienna
- 15 Is a canal pass and museum entry worth buying ahead of visit?
- 16 Sample itinerary Germany in March
- 17 Lake Garda- Italy
- 18 Will July 23 Become England's Independence Day?
- 19 Stu Dudley's Provence and French Riviera Itinerary
- 20 Venice to Frankfort - via Switzerland?
- 21 Italy by car
- 22 Easiest way to send photo eq. to the hotel
- 23 Paris gtg in October?
- 24 Quaint Towns within 2hr Driving from Amsterdam
- 25 Toulouse, The Dordogne(based in Sarlat) and Paris