Need advice or suggestions for a cycling trip to Southern France. We (small group of 4) plan to fly into Marseille in early July, and take a train to Avignon. We'll use it as a base for 9 days to cycle and watch a stage of the Tour de France. After that we plan on heading for Lyon for the last 5 days to cycle and sight see. We would fly home out of Lyon. Any suggestions on routes or accommodations, ie...should we stay inside or outside the cities...realize Lyon is a big place! We will be bringing our road bikes and luggage, so don't want to be too far from the train stations, etc? Is Avignon a good base? We would like to do the Mt. Ventoux climb. Anything that others may have done, we'd love to hear about.
Thanks very much!
Help with Cycling trip in Provence?
- 1 I have a new eBook out on Mystical Ireland Travel
- 2 Tales from Venice, Bologna, Pienza and Rome
- 3 Train Passes
- 4 Rome apartment
- 5 First time going to Europe. Flying into Dublin...
- 6 July reservations for County Kerry?
- 7 Rental car size in Spain: what's a supermini?
- 8 Prague Hotels -Old Town
- 9 The "I'm moving/I'm coming home" Italy Trip Report...
- 10 Trip Report: SE England - Stately Homes & Gardens in Kent
- 11 London and Paris; Christmas 2013!
- 12 Without a car in the Cote d'Azur
- 13 Gate 1 Travel is the BEST
- 14 Sweden, Denmark, Norway Trip Report
- 15 Travelling within Florence and to Siena
- 16 two weeks in Croatia Bosnia and Montenegro
- 17 Benita In Paris
- 18 Sagrada Familia in Barcelona: who knows what time masses are?
- 19 pier in Copenhagen
- 20 Derby - What to do with 1.5 days?
- 21 Scotland & Ireland - do I HAVE to pick 1 for 7-day trip?
- 22 Am I too fat too travel?
- 23 Christmas Markets - Frankfurt or Copenhagen
- 24 Running Very Behind on Month Long Europe Trip
- 25 Paris Transportation- Hotel near Saint Suplice Station to CDG Airport