Need advice or suggestions for a cycling trip to Southern France. We (small group of 4) plan to fly into Marseille in early July, and take a train to Avignon. We'll use it as a base for 9 days to cycle and watch a stage of the Tour de France. After that we plan on heading for Lyon for the last 5 days to cycle and sight see. We would fly home out of Lyon. Any suggestions on routes or accommodations, ie...should we stay inside or outside the cities...realize Lyon is a big place! We will be bringing our road bikes and luggage, so don't want to be too far from the train stations, etc? Is Avignon a good base? We would like to do the Mt. Ventoux climb. Anything that others may have done, we'd love to hear about.
Thanks very much!
Help with Cycling trip in Provence?
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Luxury hotel base Positano or Sorrento with 2 teen daughters
- 2 England's Ruined Abbeys
- 3 Ireland / N Ireland Chauffer/Guide
- 4 Hotel or B&B Recommendations for Chamonix, Lyon & Paris
- 5 N Ireland / Ireland driving
- 6 Euro Trivia Quiz #12 - Know Your Rivers?
- 7 Recommended overnight stops on Iceland ring road
- 8 Schengen Visa Rules
- 9 Italy, mid May, 10 days, Rome + another city?
- 10 Starting to plan for 3.5 weeks in northern Spain, May 2015
- 11 London - Paris - Venice - Rome in 21 Days
- 12 Ireland / N Ireland clothing recommendations
- 13 Family vacay for 6 weeks with 2 Toddlers
- 14 Since Paris is ALWAYS good idea
- 15 Minimalist wardrobe for Europe
- 16 Is my plan ok
- 17 2014 Ferry Boat Schedules Salerno/Amalfi/Positano Just Released
- 18 Truffles, Tajarin & Turin…Two weeks in the Piemonte Region of Italy
- 19 5 Observations About Paris
- 20 Five Nights in Budapest: A Quick Winter Getaway
- 21 Austria to Italy by car - best route
- 22 Southern Spain
- 23 5 Hoosiers - help with route through Germany
- 24 London Experts - What do you think of this apartment?
- 25 4-5 Days in Switzerland before Paris? Is Berne the place to go?