Need advice or suggestions for a cycling trip to Southern France. We (small group of 4) plan to fly into Marseille in early July, and take a train to Avignon. We'll use it as a base for 9 days to cycle and watch a stage of the Tour de France. After that we plan on heading for Lyon for the last 5 days to cycle and sight see. We would fly home out of Lyon. Any suggestions on routes or accommodations, ie...should we stay inside or outside the cities...realize Lyon is a big place! We will be bringing our road bikes and luggage, so don't want to be too far from the train stations, etc? Is Avignon a good base? We would like to do the Mt. Ventoux climb. Anything that others may have done, we'd love to hear about.
Thanks very much!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Thinking about the Fjords
- 2 Poland to Austria In December
- 3 Camping on the Tour of Mont Blanc
- 4 LHR Connection Time and Fast Track
- 5 Agriturismo or small hotel between Milan & Cinque Terre
- 6 Laura and Steve's Spanish Adventure
- 7 Base in Rhine or Mosel?
- 8 Globus Iberian Tour
- 9 Drive from Lake Como to Venice
- 10 What are your St. Petersburg, Russia experiences?
- 11 base for Andalucia
- 12 With Gratitude for a Glorious Solo Month in Greece
- 13 Italy travel plan help
- 14 Northern Tucany / Southern Emilia-Romagna / Cinc Terre What to Do?
- 15 Help with Spain/Portugal itinerary 33 days
- 16 Support Barcelona, Brussels, Paris, etc
- 17 Budapest Card
- 18 Tracking the Weather
- 19 TRIP REPORT: Paris, Bordeaux, Dordogne, Toulouse, Provence, and more
- 20 Towns or hikes along Lake Lucerne
- 21 A few days in Naples - what a great city
- 22 road trip through scotland
- 23 Oy, I need help with this mid Sept U.K. trip!
- 24 Loire Valley best place to linger
- 25 Requesting information about Flytolake/Lariobus