New to the forum and looking for your sage advice.
In September of 2012 my siblings, spouses and I plan two weeks in Europe.
Everyone but me will probably spend the first week in France before joining me in Italy so I'd like to spend that first week in the Dolomites (I think) if the weather's relatively decent. I'm neither skier nor mountain climber, but am a big nature photo buff, so spectacular scenery tops my agenda.
Any suggestions where I should base myself in the Dolomites for a week's worth of relatively easy-on-the-knees hiking and great scenery? An out of the way quiet spot is preferred over a busy tourist/skier hotel location. Or is September in the Dolomites guaranteed to be snowbound - and should I just head to Tuscany?
The second week we'll all meet somewhere in Tuscany. Florence is currently our only must-see city. I'm guessing that once they've done their research, they'll settle for the Amalfi Coast, rather than the Cinque Terre region. Since there will be about a dozen of us, I expect we'll rent a villa for the week. Question is what town would you chose as base camp in both AC and CT?
Help Plan My First Italy Trip
- 1 a week in Ireland over New year's
- 2 Paris: Where to Christmas Shop for Teen and Tween
- 3 3 nights in Bayeux, FRANCE...how to make the most of our days in winter?
- 4 Home from Rome - a trip report
- 5 Buying a house in the Languedoc - the hunt begins
- 6 Euro Train
- 7 Manchester UK-good place for a Thanksgiving dinner?
- 8 Northern Italy Honeymoon- Alps and Italian Favorites
- 9 Where to stay in Copenhagen
- 10 Traveling within Italy
- 11 Best option for Dollars to Euros for apartment payment"
- 12 London for Christmas
- 13 Day Trips from Florence: Tours or On Our Own???
- 14 To Paris and Provence in June
- 15 Florence in October
- 16 Stories from London, France, Italy & more - Trip Report
- 17 first european holiday itinery
- 18 Scandinavia Itinerary
- 19 November Solo Madness in Ireland 2013!
- 20 7 days in Andalucia
- 21 Going to Puglia, I hope
- 22 Anniversary Weekend in Paris
- 23 "It Will Rain Tomorrow." England Weathers The MaiTai Four.
- 24 London at Easter
- 25 Venice passes....confusing as heck!