New to the forum and looking for your sage advice.
In September of 2012 my siblings, spouses and I plan two weeks in Europe.
Everyone but me will probably spend the first week in France before joining me in Italy so I'd like to spend that first week in the Dolomites (I think) if the weather's relatively decent. I'm neither skier nor mountain climber, but am a big nature photo buff, so spectacular scenery tops my agenda.
Any suggestions where I should base myself in the Dolomites for a week's worth of relatively easy-on-the-knees hiking and great scenery? An out of the way quiet spot is preferred over a busy tourist/skier hotel location. Or is September in the Dolomites guaranteed to be snowbound - and should I just head to Tuscany?
The second week we'll all meet somewhere in Tuscany. Florence is currently our only must-see city. I'm guessing that once they've done their research, they'll settle for the Amalfi Coast, rather than the Cinque Terre region. Since there will be about a dozen of us, I expect we'll rent a villa for the week. Question is what town would you chose as base camp in both AC and CT?
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 The highlands
- 2 Loire Valley itinerary
- 3 Venice, September 2016, a trip report (sort of).
- 4 St. Wolfgang/Hallstatt/Berchtesgaden from Salzburg
- 5 Should we go to Vienna?
- 6 EATING IN LISBON..first visit
- 7 Trip Report and Photos - The Baltics – Tallinn, Riga and Vilnius
- 8 1 week solo in Europe. Which of these?
- 9 Parma hotels - Pacchiosi or Rosa Prati
- 10 Please recommend an honest car rental service in Romania
- 11 Lots of walking, amazing scenery & wine - 3 weeks France & Germany.
- 12 Help! Suggestions for Italian itinerary
- 13 Where in Europe for 15 full days from 21 Oct to 6 Nov 2016?
- 14 Renting a car
- 15 February in Florence
- 16 Juangfrau / mt
- 17 Amalfi Coast by Car
- 18 Planning 2 days in Granada
- 19 Europe Itinerary
- 20 Suggested Itinerary Low Countries, Scotland, Enfland Lake district
- 21 First Post, Lots of Questions
- 22 Naxos hotel question
- 23 written guide for Olympia
- 24 La Scala Opera Tickets
- 25 Rental car, Germany to Czech Republic