I am getting married on the last Saturday in May and my fiance and I are planning on going to Europe for about 6-8 weeks. We would like to leave immediately after our wedding for our honeymoon. We start our PhD program in the fall, so this will most likely be the last time we really get to travel (outside of short trips) so we want to make the most of it. We have both previously traveled, are VERY comfortable getting around on bike, train, bus, etc. and have no interest in staying in fancy places or resorts.
We have family that we can stay with in the following locations
1) Turin, Italy
3) Wetzlar - near Gissen German
6) New Castle
Housing would be FREE in all the places mentioned above. In some of those locations we would also have a car to use. So ideally, we could use some of those locations as hubs.
We are very open to the places we want to see, we do know that we want to travel a lil bit throughout Italy, and a little in France. My fiance wants to spend at least a week or so visiting his family throughout Scotland/England and I want to visit some of my family in Germany.
Where do you think guys thing that we should start and end - taking the weather into consideration? should we start in the south and travel north or vice versa? What cities should we definitely see?? Should we bother w/ Eurorail or travel more local? I found a one way flight from LAX to Lisbon for only $400! Help us plan out our awesome honeymoon!! I would really not prefer to stay in hotels unless they are relatively cheap - I have used Air BNB before and always had a great experience. We would LIKE to our bikes with us, although I am not sure how realistic that is. We both have Bike Friday fold up bikes (http://mybikeshopsg.files.wordpress.com/2010/06/bike-friday-tikit-combo-12.jpg) and once folded up our bikes can effectively fit into a carry on bag... so it would be great if we take them with us, but I am just not sure if we will.
Currently have: 2,000 Euros
Don't mind spending another $7,000 = 5161.48 Euros
Any help, feedback, guidance on what to purchase ahead of time, what savings are worth it and what isn't would be greatly appreciated. Any maps, etc. would also be great.. Should we bother w/ Eurorail or travel more local?
I love this site, so I truly appreciate your response.
Getting married planning 6-8 week honeymoon in Europe & need YOUR advice!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Madrid & Andalucía: 26 Years Later
- 2 Backpacking Europe in the Winter
- 3 First Time to UK since 2001
- 4 Cappadocia/Kas/Cirali/IST Spring 2014 Trip Report
- 5 ...Got a speeding ticket in Spain...
- 6 A nine day whirl through Istanbul and Cappadocia
- 7 Mittenwald (or general vicinity)
- 8 Two Dip-$hits go to Italy! Amalfi Coast, Rome and Bologna
- 9 Brussels or Amsterdam?
- 10 "Or Like in Europe Where Folks Share Tables to Save Space"
- 11 Roaming Romania, Take Two
- 12 Warning NEVER BOOK at Castro Exclusive Residences Barcelona!
- 13 Spain-Would appreciate input on itinerary
- 14 Tentative Itinerary for London & south east UK
- 15 Solo 55 year old female in Istanbul for 3.5 days mid-December
- 16 Spain (Practical) Trip Report
- 17 Notes on Amsterdam, Bruges & Paris - Sept 8-28, 2014
- 18 TR: Self indulgence in London and Venice
- 19 1,000,001 Steps: Ups and Downs in Greece for 3 Weeks
- 20 Five-Star Trip on a Three-Star Budget
- 21 Trip report: Kayaking, Riding and fall in Split, Croatia
- 22 Sweden, Denmark, Norway
- 23 Paris, London, 49ers and Fodors GTG
- 24 Paul Durand-Ruel -The Gamble of the Impressionists - Manet, Monet, Renoir
- 25 Vacation Rental in Venice