my small family (2 adults and 2 kids of 4 and 8 years old) will be in Germany next summer. I've taken a good look ont seat61 website and we,re still debating if we should buy a rail pass or single tickets.
For now the only (but big) advantage would be to be able to hop on any train. Since we already know our itinerary (and booked all our lodging) we think that we could buy long travel ticket the day they became avaible (mid april).
heres' the train we will need to take:
1- Berlin to Dresden
2- Dresden to Nuremberg
3- Daytrips from Nuremberg (Rothenburg, Playmobil park, Bamberg)
4- Nuremberg to Salzburg
5 - daytrip from Salzburg (Berchtesgaden)
6- Salzburg to Munich
7- Munich to Cochem or Cologne (and the Cologne to Cochem)
8- daytrips from Cochem
9- Cochem to Luxembourg (fly back home )
Mots of the are not very long ride (except for Dresden to Nuremberg and Munich to Cologne (or Cochem). A rail pass would cost us 360 Euro for 5 days in one month. Of course ww could also take 3 days (314 Euro) 4 days (336 Euro ) or 7 days (445 Euro). Those prices are for second class.
What would you do ?
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 A Month stay in Southern France
- 2 vienna
- 3 Oxford England Accommodations
- 4 Need hotel recommendations for Madrid, Toledo & Andalucia
- 5 Suggested Italy Itinerary
- 6 Single mom w/ 8 mo baby traveling to Paris and London
- 7 Places of interest
- 8 getting to CDG
- 9 Croatia transportation question.
- 10 1 or 2 days in Reykjavík
- 11 Ireland hotel questions
- 12 Any recent stays at either the Plaka or Attalos hotels in Athens
- 13 Questions about Polish sights
- 14 Croatia Ferry Help
- 15 Initial itinerary - 1 month in Greece
- 16 Greece...so many options! (11 days)
- 17 Bern to Munich, BlaBla Car & Dresden
- 18 Northern Spain vs Portugal, where spend more time ?
- 19 Ireland travel passport question
- 20 Seville/Granada or Porto/Guim/Braga/Evora to impress 9 year old?
- 21 Southern Germany - a base for travel
- 22 Switzerland in November?
- 23 We were NOT going to Europe this year --- but
- 24 2 weeks in Europe - itenerary help
- 25 Marksburg Castle Transport Question