my small family (2 adults and 2 kids of 4 and 8 years old) will be in Germany next summer. I've taken a good look ont seat61 website and we,re still debating if we should buy a rail pass or single tickets.
For now the only (but big) advantage would be to be able to hop on any train. Since we already know our itinerary (and booked all our lodging) we think that we could buy long travel ticket the day they became avaible (mid april).
heres' the train we will need to take:
1- Berlin to Dresden
2- Dresden to Nuremberg
3- Daytrips from Nuremberg (Rothenburg, Playmobil park, Bamberg)
4- Nuremberg to Salzburg
5 - daytrip from Salzburg (Berchtesgaden)
6- Salzburg to Munich
7- Munich to Cochem or Cologne (and the Cologne to Cochem)
8- daytrips from Cochem
9- Cochem to Luxembourg (fly back home )
Mots of the are not very long ride (except for Dresden to Nuremberg and Munich to Cologne (or Cochem). A rail pass would cost us 360 Euro for 5 days in one month. Of course ww could also take 3 days (314 Euro) 4 days (336 Euro ) or 7 days (445 Euro). Those prices are for second class.
What would you do ?
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 No Periods in British Written English!
- 2 Rouen Tour Companies
- 3 St Denis Cathedral
- 4 Sicily-Driving from Taormina to Cefalu
- 5 Scotland 10 Nights - Trying To Narrow Down Where To Go & Stay
- 6 Ireland itinerary help please
- 7 A few days in Naples - what a great city
- 8 UK itinerary advice (family of 4)
- 9 Review Final Iceland Itinerary Please
- 10 The Roads Less Traveled: Traversing France With Mai Tai Tom & Tracy
- 11 Starting my Paris plan for May
- 12 Paris cooking classes
- 13 booking hotels on trip advisor vs booking.com, etc
- 14 What crazy coincidence or chance meeting have you had while traveling?
- 15 Four Nights free after Monmouth, Wales & before London.
- 16 Initial itinerary - 1 month in Greece
- 17 Americans moving to Europe - Suggestions?
- 18 Weighing hand luggage at CDG security now
- 19 Best way from London to Gatwick these days?
- 20 Day trip to Lake Como from Milan
- 21 Ronda Wine/biking
- 22 Planning a Trip to Greece
- 23 3 weeks in London, Cornwall and a tiny piece of Wales
- 24 Perugia
- 25 Ireland last minute recommendations