My Nana and I decided we wanted to do some bonding and take a trip to Europe. Nana was nice enough to offer to pay if we stuck to a few conditions =)
1. She insist we use a tour company.
(She understands that we could save money planning it and doing it ourselves, but she insist that are her age and it being just the two of us females, that a tour would make her feel more comfortable)
2. She insist that we stay at "nice" places
(She said she worked hard all her life for her money and that she was supposed to go on a trip with my grandfather whom recently passed away =( , So she insist that we stay at nice places with extra comforts and not at hostels or places that might be deemed "sketchy". She wants to stay in the heart of the cities so we can get the best experience.)
3. She wants to try to go to the Countries she hasn't seen yet.
(She's traveled a lot over the years, whereas I've only been to London and Paris)
So since I am getting a free vacation and time with my Nana I obviously agreed to her terms. That puts me in my predicament though.
I've been researching tour companies and have found many:
(Tauck, Collette, Globus, Trafalgar, GAdventure, Cosmos, Insight, Brendan, Monograms, ECT.)
From the research I've done I THINK that the "nicer" tours would be Tauck, Insight, Globus and Trafalgar? Someone please correct me if I am wrong.
This is where it gets tricky for me........It seems as though most people who go on tours are all seniors OR 20 something's. I can't seem to find a tour company that caters to a mix of ages. I mean I am sure I will enjoy the vacation regardless, BUT it would be nice if I could make friends around my own age while on the tour. Its hard since my Nana is an active 70 something, and I am a 20 something so its a pretty big age gap. I am just afraid I will end up on a tour will all seniors, and if my Nana decides to turn in early one night, that I'll be all alone at the hotel bar. (sigh)
Here's a little more information about what were thinking:
We want the length of the trip to be over two weeks. I am leaning towards a few that are about a month but that might be pushing it a little bit. But we have definitely set a 14 day minimum. Also the Countries my Nana hasn't been to are: Belgium, Netherlands, Germany, Poland, Austria, Czech, Slovakia, Switzerland, Sweden, Finland, Norway, Denmark, Iceland, and Scotland.
I was thinking it would be cool to see the World War II sights. I would also love if I could sneak a Country in that my Nana has already been too, but I have not (Spain, Italy, or Greece). I know we obviously can't see all these countries but I think we could view half of them and still have a quality vacation. I was using Germany as a starting point when I researched because I would love to see the "Romantic Road" and the Black Forest. Also we are looking to go May/June 2014.
Can anyone give me some advice and/or suggestions into what they think would work for my Nana and I? Maybe someone is going on a tour around the same time? Anyone have past experiences they can share?
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Globus Iberian Tour
- 2 Base in Rhine or Mosel?
- 3 Italy travel plan help
- 4 Drive from Lake Como to Venice
- 5 Italy itinerary - input needed, please!!
- 6 Driving in Southern Italy - outside the beaten track
- 7 A few days in Naples - what a great city
- 8 Thinking about the Fjords
- 9 Assist Please: A'dam/Cologne/Mosel Valley/Aachen
- 10 LHR Connection Time and Fast Track
- 11 Agriturismo or small hotel between Milan & Cinque Terre
- 12 For Paris-knowledgable - best neighborhood to stay a week-plus
- 13 road trip through scotland
- 14 With Gratitude for a Glorious Solo Month in Greece
- 15 Adivice from experts please, Southern Dutch/Belgium German Borders
- 16 Support Barcelona, Brussels, Paris, etc
- 17 Poland to Austria In December
- 18 Tracking the Weather
- 19 Camping on the Tour of Mont Blanc
- 20 Laura and Steve's Spanish Adventure
- 21 What are your St. Petersburg, Russia experiences?
- 22 base for Andalucia
- 23 Northern Tucany / Southern Emilia-Romagna / Cinc Terre What to Do?
- 24 Help with Spain/Portugal itinerary 33 days
- 25 Budapest Card