My Nana and I decided we wanted to do some bonding and take a trip to Europe. Nana was nice enough to offer to pay if we stuck to a few conditions =)
1. She insist we use a tour company.
(She understands that we could save money planning it and doing it ourselves, but she insist that are her age and it being just the two of us females, that a tour would make her feel more comfortable)
2. She insist that we stay at "nice" places
(She said she worked hard all her life for her money and that she was supposed to go on a trip with my grandfather whom recently passed away =( , So she insist that we stay at nice places with extra comforts and not at hostels or places that might be deemed "sketchy". She wants to stay in the heart of the cities so we can get the best experience.)
3. She wants to try to go to the Countries she hasn't seen yet.
(She's traveled a lot over the years, whereas I've only been to London and Paris)
So since I am getting a free vacation and time with my Nana I obviously agreed to her terms. That puts me in my predicament though.
I've been researching tour companies and have found many:
(Tauck, Collette, Globus, Trafalgar, GAdventure, Cosmos, Insight, Brendan, Monograms, ECT.)
From the research I've done I THINK that the "nicer" tours would be Tauck, Insight, Globus and Trafalgar? Someone please correct me if I am wrong.
This is where it gets tricky for me........It seems as though most people who go on tours are all seniors OR 20 something's. I can't seem to find a tour company that caters to a mix of ages. I mean I am sure I will enjoy the vacation regardless, BUT it would be nice if I could make friends around my own age while on the tour. Its hard since my Nana is an active 70 something, and I am a 20 something so its a pretty big age gap. I am just afraid I will end up on a tour will all seniors, and if my Nana decides to turn in early one night, that I'll be all alone at the hotel bar. (sigh)
Here's a little more information about what were thinking:
We want the length of the trip to be over two weeks. I am leaning towards a few that are about a month but that might be pushing it a little bit. But we have definitely set a 14 day minimum. Also the Countries my Nana hasn't been to are: Belgium, Netherlands, Germany, Poland, Austria, Czech, Slovakia, Switzerland, Sweden, Finland, Norway, Denmark, Iceland, and Scotland.
I was thinking it would be cool to see the World War II sights. I would also love if I could sneak a Country in that my Nana has already been too, but I have not (Spain, Italy, or Greece). I know we obviously can't see all these countries but I think we could view half of them and still have a quality vacation. I was using Germany as a starting point when I researched because I would love to see the "Romantic Road" and the Black Forest. Also we are looking to go May/June 2014.
Can anyone give me some advice and/or suggestions into what they think would work for my Nana and I? Maybe someone is going on a tour around the same time? Anyone have past experiences they can share?
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Driving through Paris
- 2 Spanish Medical Providers
- 3 13 Nights Greece, first time, April 2018. HELP
- 4 So Many Places, So Little Time-17 Day Euro Trip--HELP!
- 5 He Musta Saw Us a-Comin': A Brief, Cautionary Tale about Taxis in Rome
- 6 Train from Polgate to St Pancras
- 7 wondering if this trip too ambitious
- 8 Looking for a 5 star resort on Spanish coast for January
- 9 Venice to Zermatt by Train
- 10 Arenalullring area Seville?
- 11 Mantova, Ravenna, Brisighella, Bologna
- 12 Zurich to Milan trip
- 13 Planes, Train, and, well, no automobiles
- 14 Just the wine list please and Daisy came too.
- 15 Train help Lyon to Annecy to Montreaux
- 16 Poor weather outlook 10/16-19 Grindenwald
- 17 Itinerary between Milan and Venice
- 18 San Sebastián
- 19 Andalusia suggests - which order is best?
- 20 FRANCE 10 YEARS ON: Paris Dordogne Albi Toulouse Arles S Rhone and Nice
- 21 Undiscovered Places in Paris
- 22 Ambitious 1st time trip through Europe whilst pregnant??
- 23 Trip planning to Paris, Lyon, Strasbourg
- 24 Destination ideas for 88 year old
- 25 Planning A trip