I have been planning a surprise trip to Paris for my mother (and me) for 3 months now. I have 21 days in Europe which means 19 FULL days of experiences to be had. (2 days lost time to traveling and jet lag) Originally I was planning the 19 days in Paris alone but I got to thinking... why not do some time in Italy too!
A little background of my mother: She planned a trip to Paris many years ago but never went because she was restrained by finances and 3 children. I am the youngest and I have grown up seeing my mom look longingly at pictures of Europe, especially Paris. Well now that I have a stable job - I have finally saved up plenty to take her!
She loves (wine and) art and is an artist herself - painting, sculpting, sketching, you name it she does it. Lately I have been secretly fishing information out of her of places she would like to visit besides Paris and she gave me Venice and Rome so of course those will be areas we will base out of in Italy.
I thought about flying into Naples first and staying in Amalfi Coast because I LOVE the views from Amalfi Coast BUT my mother is 50 (although she is fit) and I don't think she could handle going up and down 500 steps a day with 50 pound luggage so a day trip should suffice?
So here is what I have dreamed up so far:
Day 1: Depart from US
Day 2: Arrive in Rome (JET LAG) Relax. Rest. Recover - Moderate exploring
Day 3: Exploring Rome
Day 4: Rome (Day trip to Amalfi Coast) (Trains)
Day 5: Exploring Rome
Day 6: Rome to Florence at 8am arrive at 11am (Train) Explore Florence
Day 7: Exploring Florence
Day 8: Florence (Day trip to Pisa) (Train)
Day 9: Florence (Day trip to Tuscany) (Train)
Day 10: Florence to Venice at 8am arrive at 11am (Train) Explore Venice
Day 11: Explore Venice
Day 12: Venice (Day trip to Murano)
Day 13: Venice to Paris (Flight)
Day 14: Paris
Day 15: Paris
Day 16: Paris
Day 17: Paris
Day 18: Paris
Day 19: Paris
Day 20: Paris
Day 21: Depart Paris back to the US
I'm not planning anything TOO solid because my mom will want to plan everything with me. I will tell her on her birthday and then we will have 1 year to plan and save up money to spend on gifts and souvenirs in each area. But I am paying for all of the travel costs (Planes, trains, etc) and accommodations (Apartments, hostels, etc) so all she has to worry about is food and shopping.\\
I do not want to rush around trying to see everything because I want the trip to be relaxing and not all in a blur.
Does my Itinerary seem good or should it be amended?
Is a day trip to Amalfi good?
Tell me your experiences!!!
Thank you so much!!!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 English Countryside
- 2 Need itinerary help! Dolomites to Austria through Hallstat to Venice
- 3 Planning to visit Barcelona and Paris
- 4 UK in July -- early planning stages
- 5 Amalfi coast hotel recs
- 6 Day trips ideas from Lausanne, Switzerland
- 7 Help with Ireland itinerary
- 8 Northern Spain vs Portugal, where spend more time ?
- 9 solo guy traveling to europe help please
- 10 The Roads Less Traveled: Traversing France With Mai Tai Tom & Tracy
- 11 Notes on Venice, Bassano del Grappa, Garda, Cremona & Milan (Sept 2016)
- 12 When to Visit Scotland
- 13 Itinerary help needed: 10-11 days in Calabria, Siciily, and (maybe) Puglia
- 14 Train travel vs rental car in Slovenia and Croatia
- 15 Swiss Alps in the Spring-Some Questions
- 16 Spending Money for 10 Days in France/Italy
- 17 Paris Shuttle Service - AVOID!!!!
- 18 Trains in Alps and UK
- 19 CDG airport and connection time
- 20 No Reservations...our laidback Paris Christmas
- 21 Switzerland
- 22 San Sebastian
- 23 Fuerteventura - Canary Islands
- 24 car for four adults and four bikes
- 25 Q re: holiday season in Italy