I'm planning my first trip to Europe with a friend for this upcoming summer.
I had previously posted a very over-ambitious itinerary, and have narrowed it down substantially.
The places we would like to see most are Rome, Cinque Terre (Specifically Riomaggiore and Vernazza), Paris, Madrid and hopefully a side trip for a day or two in Barcelona.
The main goals of the trip are not to spend days in museums or nights in bars, but to experience the culture, food, and famous sights in each place.
I'm a photographer who has been longing for the chance to photograph Europe.
We're both young professionals and don't know when our busy schedules would allow for another semi-long trip such as this in the future, and we figure if we are paying for airfare we might as well take advantage of Europe and try and see as much as we can.
We're open to both trains and planes, and have done some research and found reasonable pricing on both.
As for accommodations we have friends in a few of the cities, and plan to rent apartments or use airbnb.com for affordable places to stay.
I know there is the 3/4 rule, three days in a city, technically 4 with travel to and from, but is it possible to do any of these cities in 2/3?
Especially Madrid, we are just stopping there to see friends and don't have any major places we want to visit within the city, we would rather spend our time in Spain in Barcelona.
Secondly, I found this posting on Europe in two weeks:
But it doesn't seem very possible to me.
Along with everything stated above, do you think a trip like that is possible, or do we certainly need more time?
Do you think there is any way for us to squeeze in another city? (I hear Florence is fantastic, or Colmar, France).
Thanks so much!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Trip planning to Paris, Lyon, Strasbourg
- 2 Poor weather outlook 10/16-19 Grindenwald
- 3 Planning A trip
- 4 Solo accommodation -- London -- Dec 19-ish
- 5 A week in the Occitanie
- 6 Question about Loire Valley châteaux
- 7 Itinerary between Milan and Venice
- 8 Paris Neighborhood Help
- 9 Hotels in Seville and Cordoba
- 10 Ok then, what trip was difficult to organize?
- 11 Advice needed for family trip to Belgium and Germany
- 12 Arenalullring area Seville?
- 13 Car rental Malaga to Seville
- 14 Train Through Spain
- 15 Destination ideas for 88 year old
- 16 Itinerary for 5 adults, 3 kids, 2 weeks, & 1 holiday adventure!
- 17 Italy June 6-16
- 18 What is your favorite Greek Island?
- 19 Help with Algarve resort/ driver and excursions for big family trip?
- 20 He Musta Saw Us a-Comin': A Brief, Cautionary Tale about Taxis in Rome
- 21 Vacation apartment registration begins in Paris 1 Oct
- 22 hill of crosses
- 23 Northern Italy in 2 Weeks?
- 24 Barcelona - Safety/Language/Trip Ideas
- 25 Itinerary for European trip with 18 year old son