I'm planning my first trip to Europe with a friend for this upcoming summer.
I had previously posted a very over-ambitious itinerary, and have narrowed it down substantially.
The places we would like to see most are Rome, Cinque Terre (Specifically Riomaggiore and Vernazza), Paris, Madrid and hopefully a side trip for a day or two in Barcelona.
The main goals of the trip are not to spend days in museums or nights in bars, but to experience the culture, food, and famous sights in each place.
I'm a photographer who has been longing for the chance to photograph Europe.
We're both young professionals and don't know when our busy schedules would allow for another semi-long trip such as this in the future, and we figure if we are paying for airfare we might as well take advantage of Europe and try and see as much as we can.
We're open to both trains and planes, and have done some research and found reasonable pricing on both.
As for accommodations we have friends in a few of the cities, and plan to rent apartments or use airbnb.com for affordable places to stay.
I know there is the 3/4 rule, three days in a city, technically 4 with travel to and from, but is it possible to do any of these cities in 2/3?
Especially Madrid, we are just stopping there to see friends and don't have any major places we want to visit within the city, we would rather spend our time in Spain in Barcelona.
Secondly, I found this posting on Europe in two weeks:
But it doesn't seem very possible to me.
Along with everything stated above, do you think a trip like that is possible, or do we certainly need more time?
Do you think there is any way for us to squeeze in another city? (I hear Florence is fantastic, or Colmar, France).
Thanks so much!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Montserrat, Spain - Sept 8 or Sept 10?
- 2 Venice in October... by myself! (Please advise.)
- 3 One week in Europe
- 4 Mid-late Oct in Slovenia?
- 5 Itinerary Germany 9/10 - 9/24/17
- 6 UK or France or elsewhere, July 2018, good price from west coast?
- 7 First time to Spain: Seville & Madrid
- 8 Munich itinerary review
- 9 Private transportation between Italian Cities
- 10 What is the hostess gift you love to give or receive?
- 11 11 Days in Ireland w few hotel changes
- 12 Switzerland in September
- 13 Where to eat in Rome?
- 14 Area with nicest countryside--Assisi, Veneto or Emilia?
- 15 Estonia, Finland, and Iceland: Summer 2017
- 16 Athens hotel with Acropolis view from room/balcony
- 17 Capital One 360 Card -- Fees for Cash Withdrawal?
- 18 Uber in Rome & Lisbon
- 19 AMS Car Rental
- 20 Posting Packages from Central Europe
- 21 Problem using American bank card in Turkey
- 22 London Theater
- 23 3 nights in the 10th Paris
- 24 Europe itinerary questions
- 25 Mallorca: Hotel in/near Palma?