I'm from the U.S.
I am going to spend a month in England with my significant other who lives in Reading, right outside of London from late december to late-January. I've read a lot of forums on here about the Brit-rail pass and it being worth it or not worth it, but I have a unique situation.
I want to buy the flexi pass which is $385(low season) for 8 days. I will be in Reading for the majority of the 5 weeks I'll be spending with him, but I want to be able to go out and explore every now and then. January being a ridiculously unpredictable month for weather, I don't want to book trips now, and then be snowed out, or have to go to Dover castle when it's miserable (relatively miserable to the rest of January I suppose). So I want to be able to go whenever the weather is at least somewhat agreeable to go see Dover Castle, Canterbury, Warwick Castle, Stratford-upon-avon, Bath,... maybe even a weekend to scotland.
I'm looking at the tickets and from Reading to warwick on nationalrail.co.uk, it's £39.00, .. and then from warwick to stratford-upon-avon, it's another £5.20, right then and there, the pass paid for itself on that trip alone (385 divided by 8 is around 50 bucks a day).
I want to make sure I'm looking at this right, or that I'm not missing anything. Would it be better if I just showed up at the last minute or last minute bookings as opposed to buying the britrail pass?
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 12 days europe
- 2 Oct '16 Tuscany assistance
- 3 Train in France-1st versus 2nd class?
- 4 Earthquake info for Perugia and Assisi
- 5 Spain Itinerary Help
- 6 Drinks in Spain
- 7 Viator's Tuscany in one day sightseeing tour
- 8 Which Dordogne caves can be easily seen without advance reservations?
- 9 13 days in Paris, plans and budget
- 10 Lipari to Capri??
- 11 RFID Protection
- 12 Arrival day suggestions (South Kensington)
- 13 Glasgow and surrounding area help
- 14 from Charles de Gaulle to central Paris
- 15 3 Weeks in Italy near Milan
- 16 Going to Spain? Watch this movie.
- 17 Second thoughts on Lucerne as base
- 18 Ali
- 19 Christmas Week in London
- 20 Travel from Dublin Airport to Sligo City
- 21 Ireland Trip + 3 days in Dublin
- 22 Day Trip to Greenland from Reykjavik
- 23 Too much for one day?
- 24 Travel WiFi - France
- 25 Italy for the first time
I'm from the U.S.