I'm from the U.S.
I am going to spend a month in England with my significant other who lives in Reading, right outside of London from late december to late-January. I've read a lot of forums on here about the Brit-rail pass and it being worth it or not worth it, but I have a unique situation.
I want to buy the flexi pass which is $385(low season) for 8 days. I will be in Reading for the majority of the 5 weeks I'll be spending with him, but I want to be able to go out and explore every now and then. January being a ridiculously unpredictable month for weather, I don't want to book trips now, and then be snowed out, or have to go to Dover castle when it's miserable (relatively miserable to the rest of January I suppose). So I want to be able to go whenever the weather is at least somewhat agreeable to go see Dover Castle, Canterbury, Warwick Castle, Stratford-upon-avon, Bath,... maybe even a weekend to scotland.
I'm looking at the tickets and from Reading to warwick on nationalrail.co.uk, it's £39.00, .. and then from warwick to stratford-upon-avon, it's another £5.20, right then and there, the pass paid for itself on that trip alone (385 divided by 8 is around 50 bucks a day).
I want to make sure I'm looking at this right, or that I'm not missing anything. Would it be better if I just showed up at the last minute or last minute bookings as opposed to buying the britrail pass?
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 No Periods in British Written English!
- 2 Daytime flights - US East Coast to Paris?
- 3 First time in London
- 4 Bedbugs in Paris.
- 5 3-days Athens Itinerary, thoughts? Starting this Wednesday!
- 6 Self drive tour companies
- 7 scotland
- 8 Lamezia Terme, Italy
- 9 The Roads Less Traveled: Traversing France With Mai Tai Tom & Tracy
- 10 Ischia
- 11 One more day in Athens, any suggestions?
- 12 Vatican Museums and Scavi Tour
- 13 Road trip from Naples to Basilicata, Puglia and Bari
- 14 Barcelona
- 15 Seville- Ronda drive time
- 16 3 weeks in Central/Eastern Europe
- 17 Fine-tuning Requested: Naxos, Santorini, Athens Itinerary
- 18 Italian Honeymoon Advice
- 19 itinerary help: 18 days in Wales/Scotland
- 20 Aparthotel Adagio Paris XV feedback
- 21 Best place in Italy for a tourist during Easter
- 22 For a Taste of Four Cultures on Two Contınents
- 23 3 Month Europe Itineray -- please critique
- 24 Upcoming trip to Penzance, Cornwall
- 25 Dinner get-together in Paris?
I'm from the U.S.