I'm from the U.S.
I am going to spend a month in England with my significant other who lives in Reading, right outside of London from late december to late-January. I've read a lot of forums on here about the Brit-rail pass and it being worth it or not worth it, but I have a unique situation.
I want to buy the flexi pass which is $385(low season) for 8 days. I will be in Reading for the majority of the 5 weeks I'll be spending with him, but I want to be able to go out and explore every now and then. January being a ridiculously unpredictable month for weather, I don't want to book trips now, and then be snowed out, or have to go to Dover castle when it's miserable (relatively miserable to the rest of January I suppose). So I want to be able to go whenever the weather is at least somewhat agreeable to go see Dover Castle, Canterbury, Warwick Castle, Stratford-upon-avon, Bath,... maybe even a weekend to scotland.
I'm looking at the tickets and from Reading to warwick on nationalrail.co.uk, it's £39.00, .. and then from warwick to stratford-upon-avon, it's another £5.20, right then and there, the pass paid for itself on that trip alone (385 divided by 8 is around 50 bucks a day).
I want to make sure I'm looking at this right, or that I'm not missing anything. Would it be better if I just showed up at the last minute or last minute bookings as opposed to buying the britrail pass?
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Stonehenge and Bath
- 2 Ferrara or Verona for a 4/5 hours stopover?
- 3 From London to Paris to US
- 4 Sevilla to Cordoba Day Trip: How many hours needed?
- 5 Heathrow to hotel transportation question
- 6 Ireland driving itinerary
- 7 3 week Italy trip with 12 and 14 year old - 2017
- 8 Greece Itinerary
- 9 Iceland in 9 nights in late September
- 10 Lisbon ... Two days only ... Must see?
- 11 What neighborhood to stay in Paris?
- 12 Itinerary help please!
- 13 Who is up for an informal GTG in Paris between Oct 15-22
- 14 Paris Museum Pass and Skip the Line
- 15 Suicide bombing in Ansbach
- 16 Day Trip from Lausanne
- 17 France to stop making foie grois
- 18 Rome & Florence, 10-12 days or so
- 19 Barcelona Car rental return
- 20 My First Trip to Europe...
- 21 Base City for N Europe Layover
- 22 Amsterdam bike rides and maps
- 23 Night Walk, food and Shopping in Rome
- 24 Family of 4, 2 Young Teens, 14 Nights, 4 Countries
- 25 European countries thst could use some hospitality lessons.
I'm from the U.S.