I'm from the U.S.
I am going to spend a month in England with my significant other who lives in Reading, right outside of London from late december to late-January. I've read a lot of forums on here about the Brit-rail pass and it being worth it or not worth it, but I have a unique situation.
I want to buy the flexi pass which is $385(low season) for 8 days. I will be in Reading for the majority of the 5 weeks I'll be spending with him, but I want to be able to go out and explore every now and then. January being a ridiculously unpredictable month for weather, I don't want to book trips now, and then be snowed out, or have to go to Dover castle when it's miserable (relatively miserable to the rest of January I suppose). So I want to be able to go whenever the weather is at least somewhat agreeable to go see Dover Castle, Canterbury, Warwick Castle, Stratford-upon-avon, Bath,... maybe even a weekend to scotland.
I'm looking at the tickets and from Reading to warwick on nationalrail.co.uk, it's £39.00, .. and then from warwick to stratford-upon-avon, it's another £5.20, right then and there, the pass paid for itself on that trip alone (385 divided by 8 is around 50 bucks a day).
I want to make sure I'm looking at this right, or that I'm not missing anything. Would it be better if I just showed up at the last minute or last minute bookings as opposed to buying the britrail pass?
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Recommendations for a Drive through Chianti
- 2 Poll: Most loved smaller European cities & towns (under 500,000 pop.)
- 3 Solvenia to Venice stops on the way
- 4 A couple of questions which are not quite answered
- 5 Quickest and cheapest way to get to Marco Polo from Mogliano Veneto?
- 6 Car rental leaving Rome
- 7 small Paris hotel 6 or 7 Arr
- 8 Christmas Market and Parking
- 9 Naxos hotels? has anyone stayed at Finikas?
- 10 Paris Under Seige...
- 11 Barcelona to San Sebastian
- 12 London Travelcard vs oyster card
- 13 Pre-Booking Train Tickets
- 14 Summer Language Programs in Germany
- 15 Advices about our itiniary
- 16 Amsterdam - Germanyin mid April
- 17 Celebrating Christmas Early...in Vienna!
- 18 Lisbon Portugal to Madrid Spain in January
- 19 Update on Bob the Navigator
- 20 Interested in Icelandic cuisine?
- 21 First Day: Cashel or Kilkenny?
- 22 CAPITALIZING ON THE CAPITALS: Central Europe
- 23 Stroller in Europe
- 24 Visiting Turkey for Fun and Adventure, Oasis or Chaos
- 25 Must be the season of the witch: Nikki's autumn trip to London and Paris
I'm from the U.S.