I'm from the U.S.
I am going to spend a month in England with my significant other who lives in Reading, right outside of London from late december to late-January. I've read a lot of forums on here about the Brit-rail pass and it being worth it or not worth it, but I have a unique situation.
I want to buy the flexi pass which is $385(low season) for 8 days. I will be in Reading for the majority of the 5 weeks I'll be spending with him, but I want to be able to go out and explore every now and then. January being a ridiculously unpredictable month for weather, I don't want to book trips now, and then be snowed out, or have to go to Dover castle when it's miserable (relatively miserable to the rest of January I suppose). So I want to be able to go whenever the weather is at least somewhat agreeable to go see Dover Castle, Canterbury, Warwick Castle, Stratford-upon-avon, Bath,... maybe even a weekend to scotland.
I'm looking at the tickets and from Reading to warwick on nationalrail.co.uk, it's £39.00, .. and then from warwick to stratford-upon-avon, it's another £5.20, right then and there, the pass paid for itself on that trip alone (385 divided by 8 is around 50 bucks a day).
I want to make sure I'm looking at this right, or that I'm not missing anything. Would it be better if I just showed up at the last minute or last minute bookings as opposed to buying the britrail pass?
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Dining with the writers
- 2 16 days loop Venice to Venice
- 3 Paris hotel and neighborhood help
- 4 Buying Louis Vuitton Handbag
- 5 Can't we Fodorites be kinder in our responses, especially to new posters?
- 6 Venice Restaurant on Easter Sunday?
- 7 Best places to shop for leather handbags in Florence
- 8 where to get a cheaper Louis Vuitton bags and wallets
- 9 Planning roundtrip Greece
- 10 Barcelona>Andalusia>Madrid...8 days with a pre-schooler
- 11 Need help with 2.5 days Rome itinerary
- 12 5 days in France or Italian Rivera
- 13 2 weeks in Prague
- 14 Late August Trip to Northern Italy
- 15 Public Transportation in Vienna: Borderline Organized Crime
- 16 FIRST TIME VISIT TO SWITZERLAND
- 17 York - Time for tea!
- 18 Amalfi or Positano
- 19 14 days in Europe: Paris, Venice, Florence, Cinque Terre, Rome
- 20 Tour Recommendations Venice, Florence, Rom
- 21 Touring Wales
- 22 Cordoba or Granada?
- 23 3 nights in Tuscany
- 24 Family-centered tour for Colosseum or Vatican? Please help!
- 25 where to stay (and how long), what to see around Nuremberg
I'm from the U.S.