I'm from the U.S.
I am going to spend a month in England with my significant other who lives in Reading, right outside of London from late december to late-January. I've read a lot of forums on here about the Brit-rail pass and it being worth it or not worth it, but I have a unique situation.
I want to buy the flexi pass which is $385(low season) for 8 days. I will be in Reading for the majority of the 5 weeks I'll be spending with him, but I want to be able to go out and explore every now and then. January being a ridiculously unpredictable month for weather, I don't want to book trips now, and then be snowed out, or have to go to Dover castle when it's miserable (relatively miserable to the rest of January I suppose). So I want to be able to go whenever the weather is at least somewhat agreeable to go see Dover Castle, Canterbury, Warwick Castle, Stratford-upon-avon, Bath,... maybe even a weekend to scotland.
I'm looking at the tickets and from Reading to warwick on nationalrail.co.uk, it's £39.00, .. and then from warwick to stratford-upon-avon, it's another £5.20, right then and there, the pass paid for itself on that trip alone (385 divided by 8 is around 50 bucks a day).
I want to make sure I'm looking at this right, or that I'm not missing anything. Would it be better if I just showed up at the last minute or last minute bookings as opposed to buying the britrail pass?
England for a month/ Britrail pass worth it?
I'm from the U.S.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Car rental at Southampton cruise terminal
- 2 Honeymoon Destinations for December 2014
- 3 GRAUBUNDEN: exploring Pontresina, Sils, Poschiavo, Zernez, Guarda, Scuol
- 4 Nuremburg and Bamberg from Munich
- 5 nearby cities to london
- 6 Will I be able to add minutes to the phone I bought in Spain 3 years ago?
- 7 Hotel in Venice
- 8 9 days in turkey
- 9 Rental Car Reservation via Ireland site or American site?
- 10 7 days in Greece
- 11 Transportation from Peisey Vallandry to Paris
- 12 A little help with our Dordogne itinerary
- 13 Itinerary Check- London, Paris, Rome
- 14 Non touristy restaurants in Budapest and prague
- 15 Hair Straightener for Europe!
- 16 Budapest 4 nights - Top 10 must do
- 17 Switzerland & Italian Riviera & Sardinia Summer 2014
- 18 Airbnb recommendations: London, Paris, Rome
- 19 Quickest Way from Vienna to Prague
- 20 Berlin & Budapest for 8 days
- 21 Siena or Bologna day trip from Florence?
- 22 Train ticket dilemma from Zurich to Milan
- 23 Republique - Canal St Martin area safe? And VRBO apartment rental questions
- 24 Looking for recommendations for trip insurance
- 25 Airfare for summer travel to Europe