I'm from the U.S.
I am going to spend a month in England with my significant other who lives in Reading, right outside of London from late december to late-January. I've read a lot of forums on here about the Brit-rail pass and it being worth it or not worth it, but I have a unique situation.
I want to buy the flexi pass which is $385(low season) for 8 days. I will be in Reading for the majority of the 5 weeks I'll be spending with him, but I want to be able to go out and explore every now and then. January being a ridiculously unpredictable month for weather, I don't want to book trips now, and then be snowed out, or have to go to Dover castle when it's miserable (relatively miserable to the rest of January I suppose). So I want to be able to go whenever the weather is at least somewhat agreeable to go see Dover Castle, Canterbury, Warwick Castle, Stratford-upon-avon, Bath,... maybe even a weekend to scotland.
I'm looking at the tickets and from Reading to warwick on nationalrail.co.uk, it's £39.00, .. and then from warwick to stratford-upon-avon, it's another £5.20, right then and there, the pass paid for itself on that trip alone (385 divided by 8 is around 50 bucks a day).
I want to make sure I'm looking at this right, or that I'm not missing anything. Would it be better if I just showed up at the last minute or last minute bookings as opposed to buying the britrail pass?
England for a month/ Britrail pass worth it?
I'm from the U.S.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Hotels in Amsterdam and Paris @ less than 150 euros per night
- 2 Internet or travel agent?
- 3 Neighbourhood for longer stay in Lisbon?
- 4 Catalonia says it's going to have an independence referendum
- 5 Venice to ban wheeled suitcases
- 6 Aran Islands in wintertime
- 7 Paris for the First Time – Need Suggestions for a Non-touristy Experience
- 8 Paris and where else?
- 9 Beware Hotel Henry IV on Place Dauphine, Paris
- 10 Trip report of our visit to Rioja
- 11 Christmas windows in Paris
- 12 Visiting UK boyfriend
- 13 Itinerary concerns, please help
- 14 Please help with Sicily Itinerary!
- 15 Is seventeen too young to travel to Europe?
- 16 Munich - vacation apartment rental, week after Christmas
- 17 Autumn in Paris
- 18 How long to allow for layover at CDG going from MRS to ATL
- 19 Blissful Airbnbs,Risky Segways,Vegan Tapas: Prague-Hvar-Andalucía-Madrid
- 20 Visiting Europe in April 2015
- 21 Raining in rome
- 22 Wheelie Suitcases Ban
- 23 Polish: Enough Indo-European Similarity to Make Picking up Words Easier?
- 24 Bodrum to Rhodes ferry or hydrofoil schedule
- 25 Italian Lakes