I'm from the U.S.
I am going to spend a month in England with my significant other who lives in Reading, right outside of London from late december to late-January. I've read a lot of forums on here about the Brit-rail pass and it being worth it or not worth it, but I have a unique situation.
I want to buy the flexi pass which is $385(low season) for 8 days. I will be in Reading for the majority of the 5 weeks I'll be spending with him, but I want to be able to go out and explore every now and then. January being a ridiculously unpredictable month for weather, I don't want to book trips now, and then be snowed out, or have to go to Dover castle when it's miserable (relatively miserable to the rest of January I suppose). So I want to be able to go whenever the weather is at least somewhat agreeable to go see Dover Castle, Canterbury, Warwick Castle, Stratford-upon-avon, Bath,... maybe even a weekend to scotland.
I'm looking at the tickets and from Reading to warwick on nationalrail.co.uk, it's £39.00, .. and then from warwick to stratford-upon-avon, it's another £5.20, right then and there, the pass paid for itself on that trip alone (385 divided by 8 is around 50 bucks a day).
I want to make sure I'm looking at this right, or that I'm not missing anything. Would it be better if I just showed up at the last minute or last minute bookings as opposed to buying the britrail pass?
England for a month/ Britrail pass worth it?
I'm from the U.S.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Hotel in Lisbon
- 2 Istanbul's Prince's Islands
- 3 Cappadocia Cave hotel suggestion
- 4 Europe Quiz: Wednesday # 68 - Jews in Europe
- 5 Why Bilbao is the perfect getaway for foodies...
- 6 Barcelona or no ?
- 7 Ireland Chauffeur Travel
- 8 Food and travel budget-Europe
- 9 Where to stay in Nice? Family of 4.
- 10 Greece with 10yr old who wants to re-live Greek mythology
- 11 Sorrento-Positano-Amalfi-Ravello-Paestum in one day, is it possible?
- 12 Sorrento - Positano- Amalfie- Revello- tour- by cab?
- 13 where to stay in Lake Como in mid-May?
- 14 proposed two week Greece itinerary
- 15 Luxury apartments in UK?
- 16 13 Day Trip to Italy
- 17 Visiting Anne Frank House
- 18 London with Kids
- 19 Trip Report: My Encounter With the Italian Hospital System
- 20 Stop between Munich and Frankfurt
- 21 Chip and pin credit card 2015 question
- 22 Vienna and Prague or Venice/Sienna/Rome for honeymoon?
- 23 Bordeaux - how many nights? and what else in a week in that area?
- 24 Tedgale trip report: One glorious week in London, February, 2015
- 25 Greece and Turkey