I'm from the U.S.
I am going to spend a month in England with my significant other who lives in Reading, right outside of London from late december to late-January. I've read a lot of forums on here about the Brit-rail pass and it being worth it or not worth it, but I have a unique situation.
I want to buy the flexi pass which is $385(low season) for 8 days. I will be in Reading for the majority of the 5 weeks I'll be spending with him, but I want to be able to go out and explore every now and then. January being a ridiculously unpredictable month for weather, I don't want to book trips now, and then be snowed out, or have to go to Dover castle when it's miserable (relatively miserable to the rest of January I suppose). So I want to be able to go whenever the weather is at least somewhat agreeable to go see Dover Castle, Canterbury, Warwick Castle, Stratford-upon-avon, Bath,... maybe even a weekend to scotland.
I'm looking at the tickets and from Reading to warwick on nationalrail.co.uk, it's £39.00, .. and then from warwick to stratford-upon-avon, it's another £5.20, right then and there, the pass paid for itself on that trip alone (385 divided by 8 is around 50 bucks a day).
I want to make sure I'm looking at this right, or that I'm not missing anything. Would it be better if I just showed up at the last minute or last minute bookings as opposed to buying the britrail pass?
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 First visit to Paris, 6 days
- 2 Athens or Istanbul in Nov'15 Solo female traveller
- 3 Italy in June/July
- 4 honeymoon eats and drinks
- 5 Basque region and/or Galicia?
- 6 Ephesus shuttle tours
- 7 Change of plans - what to do between Granada and Malaga.
- 8 Ronda or Malaga as a base for Malaga Province?
- 9 How to get from any stop on BE to any place in France
- 10 overnight ferries?
- 11 Best Way to get to Prague from Torun, Poland
- 12 TR: Solo in DUBLIN for BLOOMSDAY, an Irish literary odyssey
- 13 Laurel and Hardy in Drag Go To Paris
- 14 Airport Strikes in Spain
- 15 Advise for 4 days in Peloponnese
- 16 Sicily: Day trips from Palermo to Erice, Segesta and Cefalu
- 17 Madrid and Seville in February ?
- 18 Swimsuit for France, Switzerland, Austria?
- 19 In Pursuit of Vikings, Fjords and Cooler Weather, thursdaysd Goes North
- 20 Ira, Ira, Ira, who is Ira?
- 21 Don't kill me - 88 days in Paris Airbnb?
- 22 First Time in France--Paris and Burgundy
- 23 What to do in Dublin/ Waterford in 1 day
- 24 Lechazo in Castilla; Burgos; Extebarri; Getaria; SS (??)
- 25 Stockholm/Copenhagen/Norway?
I'm from the U.S.