I'm from the U.S.
I am going to spend a month in England with my significant other who lives in Reading, right outside of London from late december to late-January. I've read a lot of forums on here about the Brit-rail pass and it being worth it or not worth it, but I have a unique situation.
I want to buy the flexi pass which is $385(low season) for 8 days. I will be in Reading for the majority of the 5 weeks I'll be spending with him, but I want to be able to go out and explore every now and then. January being a ridiculously unpredictable month for weather, I don't want to book trips now, and then be snowed out, or have to go to Dover castle when it's miserable (relatively miserable to the rest of January I suppose). So I want to be able to go whenever the weather is at least somewhat agreeable to go see Dover Castle, Canterbury, Warwick Castle, Stratford-upon-avon, Bath,... maybe even a weekend to scotland.
I'm looking at the tickets and from Reading to warwick on nationalrail.co.uk, it's £39.00, .. and then from warwick to stratford-upon-avon, it's another £5.20, right then and there, the pass paid for itself on that trip alone (385 divided by 8 is around 50 bucks a day).
I want to make sure I'm looking at this right, or that I'm not missing anything. Would it be better if I just showed up at the last minute or last minute bookings as opposed to buying the britrail pass?
England for a month/ Britrail pass worth it?
I'm from the U.S.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Slovenia itinerary
- 2 Madrid, Andalusia, Lisbon public transport and itinerary suggestions
- 3 Wine tour in Chianti
- 4 Bus ride to Positano
- 5 How long does it take to hike to the bottom of the gorge in Ronda and back?
- 6 Two days in Switzerland, landing in Geneva
- 7 Nike tennis shoes and leggings
- 8 transport from Central London to Southampton
- 9 Croatia/Bosnia/Slovenia Itinerary Feeback Request
- 10 Amsterdam restaurants
- 11 A Very Brief Report of My Recent Trip to Paris
- 12 Critique my 3 week Balkans Itinerary + Budget
- 13 Please help with Itinerary Draft for Madrid, Andalucia
- 14 Greece for a month with a baby
- 15 London to Amsterdam via Overnight Ferry - A Weekend Adventure
- 16 Train tickets and Theatre tickets: how far in advance to book?
- 17 Andaz Liverpool vs. Marriott Regents Park
- 18 Naughty or Nice beaches in Nice, FR
- 19 5 day Barcelona itineary
- 20 France and Spain in 14 days?
- 21 Pousadas
- 22 Portugal or Croatia, which would you choose?
- 23 Netherlands-Belgium-Northern France Itinerary Help
- 24 Hoping to stay cool this summer - any comments on my northern itinerary?
- 25 taking kids to france for first time next summer-help!