I'm from the U.S.
I am going to spend a month in England with my significant other who lives in Reading, right outside of London from late december to late-January. I've read a lot of forums on here about the Brit-rail pass and it being worth it or not worth it, but I have a unique situation.
I want to buy the flexi pass which is $385(low season) for 8 days. I will be in Reading for the majority of the 5 weeks I'll be spending with him, but I want to be able to go out and explore every now and then. January being a ridiculously unpredictable month for weather, I don't want to book trips now, and then be snowed out, or have to go to Dover castle when it's miserable (relatively miserable to the rest of January I suppose). So I want to be able to go whenever the weather is at least somewhat agreeable to go see Dover Castle, Canterbury, Warwick Castle, Stratford-upon-avon, Bath,... maybe even a weekend to scotland.
I'm looking at the tickets and from Reading to warwick on nationalrail.co.uk, it's £39.00, .. and then from warwick to stratford-upon-avon, it's another £5.20, right then and there, the pass paid for itself on that trip alone (385 divided by 8 is around 50 bucks a day).
I want to make sure I'm looking at this right, or that I'm not missing anything. Would it be better if I just showed up at the last minute or last minute bookings as opposed to buying the britrail pass?
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Amalfi or Positano
- 2 Hostel Advice
- 3 Barcelona>Andalusia>Madrid...8 days with a pre-schooler
- 4 St.Malo Suggestions ?
- 5 Spain/France/Italy/UK
- 6 Cheltenham or Moreton-in-Marsh?
- 7 Gengenbach or Schiltach
- 8 Lake Maggiore, Italy
- 9 10 days in eastern Sicily - itinerary help needed
- 10 Poland in September
- 11 Belgium advice
- 12 Corsica France...Calvi or Ajaccio or?
- 13 Train from Lille to Delft
- 14 Draining the Canal Saint Martin in Paris
- 15 Please suggest a hike from Ravello- with kids
- 16 Review of the Jhieronimus Bosch ehibition
- 17 10 day trip - very initial thinking
- 18 daily itinerary ideas for southern Languedoc and Rousillon
- 19 Help with ferry schedule Naples to Sorrento please.
- 20 Driving in Sicily: Help!
- 21 Euro 2016 Football championship
- 22 Can't we Fodorites be kinder in our responses, especially to new posters?
- 23 Cheap Paris Boutiques
- 24 2 Week Euro Solo Trip - UK, Paris, Brussels
- 25 Doobie in Amsterdam
I'm from the U.S.