I'm from the U.S.
I am going to spend a month in England with my significant other who lives in Reading, right outside of London from late december to late-January. I've read a lot of forums on here about the Brit-rail pass and it being worth it or not worth it, but I have a unique situation.
I want to buy the flexi pass which is $385(low season) for 8 days. I will be in Reading for the majority of the 5 weeks I'll be spending with him, but I want to be able to go out and explore every now and then. January being a ridiculously unpredictable month for weather, I don't want to book trips now, and then be snowed out, or have to go to Dover castle when it's miserable (relatively miserable to the rest of January I suppose). So I want to be able to go whenever the weather is at least somewhat agreeable to go see Dover Castle, Canterbury, Warwick Castle, Stratford-upon-avon, Bath,... maybe even a weekend to scotland.
I'm looking at the tickets and from Reading to warwick on nationalrail.co.uk, it's £39.00, .. and then from warwick to stratford-upon-avon, it's another £5.20, right then and there, the pass paid for itself on that trip alone (385 divided by 8 is around 50 bucks a day).
I want to make sure I'm looking at this right, or that I'm not missing anything. Would it be better if I just showed up at the last minute or last minute bookings as opposed to buying the britrail pass?
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Volcanoes! Glaciers! Puffins!! - 15 days around the Ring Road of Iceland
- 2 Barcelona, Seville, Granada Itinerary
- 3 Is this a good locatiuon and hotel for first time Paris tourists?
- 4 Bus Tickets in Wurzburg
- 5 Things to book in advance in Italy
- 6 Itinerary help for 17 night trip to Spain and France October
- 7 Approx cost of taxi between Sorrento and Positano
- 8 Restaurant recommendatins for a Special ocassion in Venice
- 9 Tour recommendation in Newcastle/Gateshead
- 10 Why Are We NOT Packed Yet? Munich, Verona, Stresa, Edinburgh, and London
- 11 HELP!!` I'm being held prisoner.
- 12 Paris Vacation Rentals in 2015
- 13 Return to Paris after 15 Years
- 14 Pegontheroad in eastern Europe
- 15 In Pursuit of Vikings, Fjords and Cooler Weather, thursdaysd Goes North
- 16 Help me decide between these 3 agriturismos in Southern Tuscany. .
- 17 Luggage Storage in London
- 18 MaiTaiTom's "Insane For Spain" - 2015
- 19 Tolls in VIENNA-BUDAPEST-ZAGREB-GRAZ-BRATISLAVA-PRAGUE?
- 20 An October day in the Luberon
- 21 Need a couple of trail suggestions in Alpe Siusi
- 22 Alsace
- 23 My summer in Paris
- 24 Trip to Paris and Switzerland.
- 25 Euro railways
I'm from the U.S.