I'm from the U.S.
I am going to spend a month in England with my significant other who lives in Reading, right outside of London from late december to late-January. I've read a lot of forums on here about the Brit-rail pass and it being worth it or not worth it, but I have a unique situation.
I want to buy the flexi pass which is $385(low season) for 8 days. I will be in Reading for the majority of the 5 weeks I'll be spending with him, but I want to be able to go out and explore every now and then. January being a ridiculously unpredictable month for weather, I don't want to book trips now, and then be snowed out, or have to go to Dover castle when it's miserable (relatively miserable to the rest of January I suppose). So I want to be able to go whenever the weather is at least somewhat agreeable to go see Dover Castle, Canterbury, Warwick Castle, Stratford-upon-avon, Bath,... maybe even a weekend to scotland.
I'm looking at the tickets and from Reading to warwick on nationalrail.co.uk, it's £39.00, .. and then from warwick to stratford-upon-avon, it's another £5.20, right then and there, the pass paid for itself on that trip alone (385 divided by 8 is around 50 bucks a day).
I want to make sure I'm looking at this right, or that I'm not missing anything. Would it be better if I just showed up at the last minute or last minute bookings as opposed to buying the britrail pass?
England for a month/ Britrail pass worth it?
I'm from the U.S.
- 1 London's Proposed New Airport...
- 2 Venice passes....confusing as heck!
- 3 Lake District, Hawkshead or Keswick?
- 4 Are they doing this yet in Paris and Rome?
- 5 7 days in Andalucia
- 6 Trulli Foodie Puglia-two weeks to eat through!!!
- 7 Costa del Sol (Spain) versus Cote d Azur (France) ??
- 8 Best option for Dollars to Euros for apartment payment"
- 9 Anniversary Weekend in Paris
- 10 3 nights in Bayeux, FRANCE...how to make the most of our days in winter?
- 11 Is there a Morning Ferry from Mykonos to Paros in late May on a Friday?
- 12 Chambermaid tipping
- 13 Please help with this Switzerland/Italy itinerary
- 14 Stories from London, France, Italy & more - Trip Report
- 15 2 weeks in UK to visit my daughter at Queen Mary Univ Dec 15-28 2013
- 16 Popping in and out of Ireland
- 17 Northern Italy Honeymoon- Alps and Italian Favorites
- 18 Taxi Availability from Bus Station
- 19 Buying a house in the Languedoc - the hunt begins
- 20 Apartments in Rome
- 21 Which travel plan?
- 22 San Sebastian and 2 day trips into France...lodging and places to see
- 23 Orvieto ro Pompei day trip in late December?
- 24 Frankfurt to Bamberg day trip - train ticket question
- 25 Advantages and Disadvantages of Visiting Turkey At This Time