I'm from the U.S.
I am going to spend a month in England with my significant other who lives in Reading, right outside of London from late december to late-January. I've read a lot of forums on here about the Brit-rail pass and it being worth it or not worth it, but I have a unique situation.
I want to buy the flexi pass which is $385(low season) for 8 days. I will be in Reading for the majority of the 5 weeks I'll be spending with him, but I want to be able to go out and explore every now and then. January being a ridiculously unpredictable month for weather, I don't want to book trips now, and then be snowed out, or have to go to Dover castle when it's miserable (relatively miserable to the rest of January I suppose). So I want to be able to go whenever the weather is at least somewhat agreeable to go see Dover Castle, Canterbury, Warwick Castle, Stratford-upon-avon, Bath,... maybe even a weekend to scotland.
I'm looking at the tickets and from Reading to warwick on nationalrail.co.uk, it's £39.00, .. and then from warwick to stratford-upon-avon, it's another £5.20, right then and there, the pass paid for itself on that trip alone (385 divided by 8 is around 50 bucks a day).
I want to make sure I'm looking at this right, or that I'm not missing anything. Would it be better if I just showed up at the last minute or last minute bookings as opposed to buying the britrail pass?
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 The Trip to London and Paris with Three Kids
- 2 Need some Venice planning help
- 3 Where to buy Saffron?
- 4 London (and the rest of the UK) Calling...
- 5 Italy Itinerary Feedback wanted!
- 6 A week in Verona. Please critique my daytrip list.
- 7 8 Day trip to Swiss and France
- 8 RHK's Spring Trip
- 9 A month in Normandy (Rouen): calling Normandy afficionados
- 10 Day Trip from London
- 11 Ideas for 5 Nights in Wengen and 3 nights in Lucerne
- 12 Paris, Amsterdam, Berlin, Venice, Rome too much for 15-20 days?
- 13 Walking tour of Edinburgh
- 14 Scenic drive: Seville-Granada-Barcelona
- 15 Puglia impressions, in brief
- 16 explore Italy on a budget
- 17 Paris and Rouen 2015
- 18 Lack of diversity? Venice/Florence/Rome
- 19 Credit cards in Italy & France
- 20 HeathrowAirport to bakery
- 21 First EuroTrip decision/planning help
- 22 Barcelona to Marseille (Toulon)
- 23 Another Northern Europe train question
- 24 Intercity Train
- 25 International driving permit required in France?
I'm from the U.S.