I'm from the U.S.
I am going to spend a month in England with my significant other who lives in Reading, right outside of London from late december to late-January. I've read a lot of forums on here about the Brit-rail pass and it being worth it or not worth it, but I have a unique situation.
I want to buy the flexi pass which is $385(low season) for 8 days. I will be in Reading for the majority of the 5 weeks I'll be spending with him, but I want to be able to go out and explore every now and then. January being a ridiculously unpredictable month for weather, I don't want to book trips now, and then be snowed out, or have to go to Dover castle when it's miserable (relatively miserable to the rest of January I suppose). So I want to be able to go whenever the weather is at least somewhat agreeable to go see Dover Castle, Canterbury, Warwick Castle, Stratford-upon-avon, Bath,... maybe even a weekend to scotland.
I'm looking at the tickets and from Reading to warwick on nationalrail.co.uk, it's £39.00, .. and then from warwick to stratford-upon-avon, it's another £5.20, right then and there, the pass paid for itself on that trip alone (385 divided by 8 is around 50 bucks a day).
I want to make sure I'm looking at this right, or that I'm not missing anything. Would it be better if I just showed up at the last minute or last minute bookings as opposed to buying the britrail pass?
England for a month/ Britrail pass worth it?
I'm from the U.S.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 7 Nights in Paris
- 2 avoiding stuffy and inflexible service at nice european resorts
- 3 Why don't the French want to work?
- 4 DH wants Paris but I need ACoast....itinerary help!
- 5 Edinburgh - Mercat Tours -
- 6 Driving from Italy to France
- 7 Itinerary Feedback (Spain/Italy in April/May)
- 8 Can you see the Matterhorn at all from Bellinzona Switzerland?
- 9 Daily Bus Tours in Croatia, Slovenia and nearby countries
- 10 Train from Brussels to Amsterdam
- 11 Late night/early morning transport from Barcelona Airport to city center
- 12 Family trip - 11 days/10 nights in Italy
- 13 Wisdom needed for a itinerary in northern Italy, Bavaria and Prague
- 14 Little-kid friendly place an hour or so by train from Frankfurt airport
- 15 Italy, England, OR France in 2015: Tour Operators - Or go it alone?
- 16 Skip the Line: Small-Group Eiffel Tower Sunset Tour
- 17 Venice to Dolomites then Tuscany? Need itinerary advice
- 18 Rethymnon vs. Chania in early October?
- 19 Irish Inns and B&B Reservations
- 20 CRETE - Rethymnon area or Chania area ??
- 21 Matisse at Tate
- 22 2 weeks in Europe
- 23 3 weeks in December in Europe, need help with itinerary
- 24 Hire car seville to lisbon
- 25 Another request for itinerary help-June-arrive Lisbon; depart Barcelona-14 days