I'm from the U.S.
I am going to spend a month in England with my significant other who lives in Reading, right outside of London from late december to late-January. I've read a lot of forums on here about the Brit-rail pass and it being worth it or not worth it, but I have a unique situation.
I want to buy the flexi pass which is $385(low season) for 8 days. I will be in Reading for the majority of the 5 weeks I'll be spending with him, but I want to be able to go out and explore every now and then. January being a ridiculously unpredictable month for weather, I don't want to book trips now, and then be snowed out, or have to go to Dover castle when it's miserable (relatively miserable to the rest of January I suppose). So I want to be able to go whenever the weather is at least somewhat agreeable to go see Dover Castle, Canterbury, Warwick Castle, Stratford-upon-avon, Bath,... maybe even a weekend to scotland.
I'm looking at the tickets and from Reading to warwick on nationalrail.co.uk, it's £39.00, .. and then from warwick to stratford-upon-avon, it's another £5.20, right then and there, the pass paid for itself on that trip alone (385 divided by 8 is around 50 bucks a day).
I want to make sure I'm looking at this right, or that I'm not missing anything. Would it be better if I just showed up at the last minute or last minute bookings as opposed to buying the britrail pass?
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Rhodes love it or hate it?
- 2 Greek island cruise or self tour
- 3 Velib: Paris' bike-sharing program
- 4 Paris GTG - October 21
- 5 MaiTaiTom's "Insane For Spain" - 2015
- 6 Giverny vs. Versailles
- 7 Holding bags in Paris
- 8 2 weeks in Europe in April
- 9 Visiting Cornwall September 2016
- 10 Car and Driver to Tour the Baltics?
- 11 Thinking of ROME? Really???
- 12 14 Days in Portugal - Help with Itinerary
- 13 Eiffel Tower Tickets - UGH!
- 14 Advice on long week trip to Germany
- 15 Travel to France & Switzerland with my daughter next summer
- 16 Welltravbrit's London Sojourn - An Ongoing Trip Report
- 17 Need Help Planning a 19 day visit to Ireland
- 18 Lechazo in Castilla; Burgos; Extebarri; Getaria; SS (??)
- 19 Italy - Rome, Venice, and Florence
- 20 Where to stay in Delft and Antwerp
- 21 Rome
- 22 Cornwall and Germany
- 23 One Step at a Time - julia_t begins the Camino de Santiago
- 24 thursdaysd Wanders South
- 25 Gtg during Christmastime?
I'm from the U.S.