I'm from the U.S.
I am going to spend a month in England with my significant other who lives in Reading, right outside of London from late december to late-January. I've read a lot of forums on here about the Brit-rail pass and it being worth it or not worth it, but I have a unique situation.
I want to buy the flexi pass which is $385(low season) for 8 days. I will be in Reading for the majority of the 5 weeks I'll be spending with him, but I want to be able to go out and explore every now and then. January being a ridiculously unpredictable month for weather, I don't want to book trips now, and then be snowed out, or have to go to Dover castle when it's miserable (relatively miserable to the rest of January I suppose). So I want to be able to go whenever the weather is at least somewhat agreeable to go see Dover Castle, Canterbury, Warwick Castle, Stratford-upon-avon, Bath,... maybe even a weekend to scotland.
I'm looking at the tickets and from Reading to warwick on nationalrail.co.uk, it's £39.00, .. and then from warwick to stratford-upon-avon, it's another £5.20, right then and there, the pass paid for itself on that trip alone (385 divided by 8 is around 50 bucks a day).
I want to make sure I'm looking at this right, or that I'm not missing anything. Would it be better if I just showed up at the last minute or last minute bookings as opposed to buying the britrail pass?
England for a month/ Britrail pass worth it?
I'm from the U.S.
- 1 Home from Rome - a trip report
- 2 The Adriatic? Or Turkey and the Greek Islands?
- 3 NEW TO FODORS: Suggestions/Advice for 10 days in Europe
- 4 Frankfurt Macarons
- 5 Trip around Spain
- 6 Lake como
- 7 Geneva/Graechen/Milan Driving in February
- 8 Getting around in Tuscany
- 9 Rome L. Argentina Ruins - Can they be explored or just viewed from street?
- 10 Venice in Jan
- 11 Paris Ariival..for Those who have requested
- 12 Common practice to provide passport copies for apartment rental in Venice?
- 13 Public transport from Ostuni
- 14 Costa del Sol (Spain) versus Cote d Azur (France) ??
- 15 British drivers
- 16 Need PIN for general credit card use in Spain Portugal
- 17 Need advice - Context Tours for Gallery Borghese & Vatican
- 18 a week in Ireland over New year's
- 19 Buying a house in the Languedoc - the hunt begins
- 20 Italy with 4 teenagers, 1 child and a husband in 18 days - thoughts?
- 21 Honeymoon Travel Advice Needed!
- 22 Question-- York & North York Moors
- 23 Sagrada Familia - which tower?
- 24 Christmas windows of Boulevard Haussmann in Paris
- 25 best beach hotel Mykonos