I'm from the U.S.
I am going to spend a month in England with my significant other who lives in Reading, right outside of London from late december to late-January. I've read a lot of forums on here about the Brit-rail pass and it being worth it or not worth it, but I have a unique situation.
I want to buy the flexi pass which is $385(low season) for 8 days. I will be in Reading for the majority of the 5 weeks I'll be spending with him, but I want to be able to go out and explore every now and then. January being a ridiculously unpredictable month for weather, I don't want to book trips now, and then be snowed out, or have to go to Dover castle when it's miserable (relatively miserable to the rest of January I suppose). So I want to be able to go whenever the weather is at least somewhat agreeable to go see Dover Castle, Canterbury, Warwick Castle, Stratford-upon-avon, Bath,... maybe even a weekend to scotland.
I'm looking at the tickets and from Reading to warwick on nationalrail.co.uk, it's £39.00, .. and then from warwick to stratford-upon-avon, it's another £5.20, right then and there, the pass paid for itself on that trip alone (385 divided by 8 is around 50 bucks a day).
I want to make sure I'm looking at this right, or that I'm not missing anything. Would it be better if I just showed up at the last minute or last minute bookings as opposed to buying the britrail pass?
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Suggestions for Drive to Milan
- 2 Best European Cities for Walking Challenged
- 3 Scenic Driving Routes
- 4 pareja de hecho in Spain
- 5 How beautiful is Lisbon compared to other european ciites?
- 6 road trip from Dover to see the English countryside and castes
- 7 French immersion courses in France
- 8 1 way ticket
- 9 15 days in Europe starting and ending in Amsterdam
- 10 Looking for the Holy Grail... in a Tour of Italy
- 11 Venice - suggestions for hotels just after Easter - mid-April 2017.
- 12 For Swiss Alps/Zermatt fans
- 13 Paris---baguette question???
- 14 Bologna, Florence, Venice 5 days
- 15 Puglia & Matera in photos
- 16 Car Rentals
- 17 Visiting Spain in January
- 18 Spain and Portugal - when to Go
- 19 Two Capitals of Central Europe and an Interlude in Frankfurt
- 20 Chip and Sign credit cards usage in europe
- 21 What type of visa is right for me?
- 22 Need help with train service Bologna, Rimini, Rome
- 23 First time trip to Ireland - 6 nights
- 24 The Princess Diaries: My Three Week Odyssey In Poland And Romania
- 25 Will I need air conditioning near Lucca in early July?
I'm from the U.S.