I'm from the U.S.
I am going to spend a month in England with my significant other who lives in Reading, right outside of London from late december to late-January. I've read a lot of forums on here about the Brit-rail pass and it being worth it or not worth it, but I have a unique situation.
I want to buy the flexi pass which is $385(low season) for 8 days. I will be in Reading for the majority of the 5 weeks I'll be spending with him, but I want to be able to go out and explore every now and then. January being a ridiculously unpredictable month for weather, I don't want to book trips now, and then be snowed out, or have to go to Dover castle when it's miserable (relatively miserable to the rest of January I suppose). So I want to be able to go whenever the weather is at least somewhat agreeable to go see Dover Castle, Canterbury, Warwick Castle, Stratford-upon-avon, Bath,... maybe even a weekend to scotland.
I'm looking at the tickets and from Reading to warwick on nationalrail.co.uk, it's £39.00, .. and then from warwick to stratford-upon-avon, it's another £5.20, right then and there, the pass paid for itself on that trip alone (385 divided by 8 is around 50 bucks a day).
I want to make sure I'm looking at this right, or that I'm not missing anything. Would it be better if I just showed up at the last minute or last minute bookings as opposed to buying the britrail pass?
England for a month/ Britrail pass worth it?
I'm from the U.S.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Parisbestlodge Fleur de Lys apt
- 2 Iceland - Rent Car or take Bus?
- 3 Amsterdam - Paris - Barcelona
- 4 LowCountryIslander & Mom Go Back to Italy...A Bologna & Rome Trip Report
- 5 Help w/ rental car arrangements-Pickup in Lisbon, Portugal-Drop in Seville?
- 6 2 full days in Strasbourg - need advise on what tours to take
- 7 Itinerey help for a 27 day trip to Europe for April of 2015
- 8 Vacation Rental Home near Barcelona with 8 bed/8 bath help
- 9 Spending money in Italy?
- 10 stop in lisboa or not
- 11 My final (hopefully) Dresden Itinerary for Review
- 12 Saint Malo or Dinan?
- 13 British English
- 14 Venice (Somewhere) and Trieste (Nowhere)—With a Bit of Slovenia In Between
- 15 Paris in October solo - potpourri of questions
- 16 spain in 14 nights with wife and 2 17 yrs old kids
- 17 Trip to Pyrenees
- 18 How do I use a SIM card in Spain and Portugal?
- 19 Itinerary for 11 day trip to France
- 20 Juan Les Pins or Cannes? Heading there this weekend and need your advise...
- 21 Brugge photo on Bing
- 22 Questions about the Chateau de Vincennes
- 23 A week in the South of France Sept 2014
- 24 One month in Puglia and Matera
- 25 Base for 6 nights between Fussen and Garmisch Partenkirchen?