I'm from the U.S.
I am going to spend a month in England with my significant other who lives in Reading, right outside of London from late december to late-January. I've read a lot of forums on here about the Brit-rail pass and it being worth it or not worth it, but I have a unique situation.
I want to buy the flexi pass which is $385(low season) for 8 days. I will be in Reading for the majority of the 5 weeks I'll be spending with him, but I want to be able to go out and explore every now and then. January being a ridiculously unpredictable month for weather, I don't want to book trips now, and then be snowed out, or have to go to Dover castle when it's miserable (relatively miserable to the rest of January I suppose). So I want to be able to go whenever the weather is at least somewhat agreeable to go see Dover Castle, Canterbury, Warwick Castle, Stratford-upon-avon, Bath,... maybe even a weekend to scotland.
I'm looking at the tickets and from Reading to warwick on nationalrail.co.uk, it's £39.00, .. and then from warwick to stratford-upon-avon, it's another £5.20, right then and there, the pass paid for itself on that trip alone (385 divided by 8 is around 50 bucks a day).
I want to make sure I'm looking at this right, or that I'm not missing anything. Would it be better if I just showed up at the last minute or last minute bookings as opposed to buying the britrail pass?
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 @1800-841-6436%$
- 2 Current Paris vacation rental news...
- 3 Shopping in Paris
- 4 Rome, Florence, Venice and back to Rome in 5 days...doable?
- 5 Once in a life time 3 month Europe Trip
- 6 Amalfi Coast with Kids- Where to stay?
- 7 Strike - again in France Tomorrow
- 8 Need help for itineray for Paris, Monaco, Rome, Florence 12 -14 days
- 9 Spain schedule - reality check please.
- 10 Have You Ever Been Robbed in Europe?
- 11 Florence and Siena Restaurants
- 12 December in Deutschland
- 13 If your question is "Is This Trip Crazy?"
- 14 30 Days in France with Family (6 y/o, 23 mo), what city to stay?
- 15 Moscow and St Petersburg
- 16 cash or plastic in Greece
- 17 The unrequested appetizers in Portugal
- 18 Rome and Venice in December
- 19 Plitvice Lakes - is it worth it for a short visit?
- 20 Please Help! Europe in 5 days!
- 21 Please help with Itinerary draft for 29 days in France
- 22 Seeking Diverse Experiences in Western France – Please Critique Itinerary!
- 23 planning confusion
- 24 Costa Brava/Girona vs. Dali Museum/Girona Tours With Spanish Trails
- 25 Feedback on Spain Trip
I'm from the U.S.