I'm from the U.S.
I am going to spend a month in England with my significant other who lives in Reading, right outside of London from late december to late-January. I've read a lot of forums on here about the Brit-rail pass and it being worth it or not worth it, but I have a unique situation.
I want to buy the flexi pass which is $385(low season) for 8 days. I will be in Reading for the majority of the 5 weeks I'll be spending with him, but I want to be able to go out and explore every now and then. January being a ridiculously unpredictable month for weather, I don't want to book trips now, and then be snowed out, or have to go to Dover castle when it's miserable (relatively miserable to the rest of January I suppose). So I want to be able to go whenever the weather is at least somewhat agreeable to go see Dover Castle, Canterbury, Warwick Castle, Stratford-upon-avon, Bath,... maybe even a weekend to scotland.
I'm looking at the tickets and from Reading to warwick on nationalrail.co.uk, it's £39.00, .. and then from warwick to stratford-upon-avon, it's another £5.20, right then and there, the pass paid for itself on that trip alone (385 divided by 8 is around 50 bucks a day).
I want to make sure I'm looking at this right, or that I'm not missing anything. Would it be better if I just showed up at the last minute or last minute bookings as opposed to buying the britrail pass?
England for a month/ Britrail pass worth it?
I'm from the U.S.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Belgium for 4 nights by train
- 2 Which disposable cell phone to buy in France?
- 3 Need help extending plan beyond France
- 4 Central European train travel
- 5 Southwestern England
- 6 Welltravbrit's London Sojourn - An Ongoing Trip Report
- 7 Rail Pass for 2 countries, but HELP, we wish to cross in/out of a 3rd
- 8 Aug/Sept trip to Amsterdam - time for Brussels too?
- 9 Sea side in Italy
- 10 11 day trip Switzerland & France please help for Itinerary
- 11 Croatia, Greece and Turkey
- 12 Spain Student Visa - Schengen re-entry + later arrival
- 13 Avoid Web Reservation International Maffia!
- 14 Train tickets within Italy
- 15 In Paris on my own
- 16 Brittany and Normandy coast
- 17 Pick my Paris Restaurants
- 18 Questions for Paris residents
- 19 MaiTaiTom's Paris When It Sizzles; Paris When It Fizzles Anniversary Trip
- 20 18 days driving trip Rome>Spain>Rome
- 21 Overnight in London - Hotel Recs?
- 22 Venice - apartment??????
- 23 Our first trip to Europe
- 24 Vatican Museum tour guide
- 25 Stay in Venice