I'm from the U.S.
I am going to spend a month in England with my significant other who lives in Reading, right outside of London from late december to late-January. I've read a lot of forums on here about the Brit-rail pass and it being worth it or not worth it, but I have a unique situation.
I want to buy the flexi pass which is $385(low season) for 8 days. I will be in Reading for the majority of the 5 weeks I'll be spending with him, but I want to be able to go out and explore every now and then. January being a ridiculously unpredictable month for weather, I don't want to book trips now, and then be snowed out, or have to go to Dover castle when it's miserable (relatively miserable to the rest of January I suppose). So I want to be able to go whenever the weather is at least somewhat agreeable to go see Dover Castle, Canterbury, Warwick Castle, Stratford-upon-avon, Bath,... maybe even a weekend to scotland.
I'm looking at the tickets and from Reading to warwick on nationalrail.co.uk, it's £39.00, .. and then from warwick to stratford-upon-avon, it's another £5.20, right then and there, the pass paid for itself on that trip alone (385 divided by 8 is around 50 bucks a day).
I want to make sure I'm looking at this right, or that I'm not missing anything. Would it be better if I just showed up at the last minute or last minute bookings as opposed to buying the britrail pass?
England for a month/ Britrail pass worth it?
I'm from the U.S.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Pre-Trip Jitters!
- 2 Two Sisters-in-law in Italy
- 3 Stansted Express Tickets - Advance Purchase
- 4 From Paris Charles De Gaulle Airport to 8, Champs Elysees, Paris
- 5 Hey Fodor's
- 6 Rick Steves - Ugly American Again!
- 7 England, Scotland , Belguim
- 8 Which is a better hotel location in Rome
- 9 Base in Puglia: Ostuni or Locorotondo
- 10 Apartment rental in Barcelona
- 11 Norway Cruise or Another Destination???
- 12 France in December 2014
- 13 Hurtigruten Rip-Off
- 14 Chinese Tourists in Paris: Not Always Happy
- 15 Apartment rental agencies in Barcelona
- 16 4-5 Days in Switzerland before Paris? Is Berne the place to go?
- 17 BUDAPEST Accommodations[2weeks]
- 18 Transport Advice - Heathrow to Kings Cross St/Clink78
- 19 We have no idea where to go!
- 20 Looking for Suggestions - 12 Day Agenda for Greece
- 21 Are you following Scotland's upcoming vote on independence?
- 22 Drive from Granada to Seville
- 23 Rheinland-Pfalz Day Pass & Rhine Cruise
- 24 Last night in Italy advice
- 25 Ideal first time trip to Germany-8-10 days --suggestions