I'm from the U.S.
I am going to spend a month in England with my significant other who lives in Reading, right outside of London from late december to late-January. I've read a lot of forums on here about the Brit-rail pass and it being worth it or not worth it, but I have a unique situation.
I want to buy the flexi pass which is $385(low season) for 8 days. I will be in Reading for the majority of the 5 weeks I'll be spending with him, but I want to be able to go out and explore every now and then. January being a ridiculously unpredictable month for weather, I don't want to book trips now, and then be snowed out, or have to go to Dover castle when it's miserable (relatively miserable to the rest of January I suppose). So I want to be able to go whenever the weather is at least somewhat agreeable to go see Dover Castle, Canterbury, Warwick Castle, Stratford-upon-avon, Bath,... maybe even a weekend to scotland.
I'm looking at the tickets and from Reading to warwick on nationalrail.co.uk, it's £39.00, .. and then from warwick to stratford-upon-avon, it's another £5.20, right then and there, the pass paid for itself on that trip alone (385 divided by 8 is around 50 bucks a day).
I want to make sure I'm looking at this right, or that I'm not missing anything. Would it be better if I just showed up at the last minute or last minute bookings as opposed to buying the britrail pass?
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Six Days on the Road in Ireland...Ideas?
- 2 3 nights Santorini suggestions with a child- is akrotiri a good location?
- 3 Daytime flights - US East Coast to Paris?
- 4 Day Trips from Dunfermline
- 5 8ish days Zurich to Como...
- 6 Proposed itinerary for Iceland
- 7 Seat Assignments on TGV train from Paris to Avignon
- 8 Paris Skip the Lines deals ...
- 9 "Never Mind"
- 10 Am i too dark to visit russia? Picture
- 11 2 WEEK EUROPE ITINERARY
- 12 Italian car factory tours
- 13 Restaurant recommendations for lunch in Rouen?
- 14 Dinner get-together in Paris?
- 15 Is the Amalfi Coast kid friendly enough
- 16 Spending Money for a 30 day trip
- 17 Comments on locations/sestieri, please
- 18 Itinerary help Germany/Austria/Dolomites
- 19 Visa Free Entry To Spain
- 20 Organizing our 8 day Roman visit
- 21 Following the Canadian Liberation Route in the Netherlands
- 22 Weighing hand luggage at CDG security now
- 23 Best way to get to Kinderdijk in April
- 24 Paris with a toddler and a baby
- 25 Via del Sale, Italy
I'm from the U.S.