I'm from the U.S.
I am going to spend a month in England with my significant other who lives in Reading, right outside of London from late december to late-January. I've read a lot of forums on here about the Brit-rail pass and it being worth it or not worth it, but I have a unique situation.
I want to buy the flexi pass which is $385(low season) for 8 days. I will be in Reading for the majority of the 5 weeks I'll be spending with him, but I want to be able to go out and explore every now and then. January being a ridiculously unpredictable month for weather, I don't want to book trips now, and then be snowed out, or have to go to Dover castle when it's miserable (relatively miserable to the rest of January I suppose). So I want to be able to go whenever the weather is at least somewhat agreeable to go see Dover Castle, Canterbury, Warwick Castle, Stratford-upon-avon, Bath,... maybe even a weekend to scotland.
I'm looking at the tickets and from Reading to warwick on nationalrail.co.uk, it's £39.00, .. and then from warwick to stratford-upon-avon, it's another £5.20, right then and there, the pass paid for itself on that trip alone (385 divided by 8 is around 50 bucks a day).
I want to make sure I'm looking at this right, or that I'm not missing anything. Would it be better if I just showed up at the last minute or last minute bookings as opposed to buying the britrail pass?
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Italy in January?
- 2 LEXMARK printer Errors CONTACT ☎ 1:800:681:7208 Technical SUPP0RT Care
- 3 Trip to Barcelona, london, Paris, and Amsterdam/Dublin
- 4 Iceland rental camper company
- 5 retruning to US with souveniers
- 6 BELLSOUTH Password Reset CONTACT ☎1: 800:681:7208 BELLSOUTH Tec*h cAre 24/7
- 7 First steps for Russian trip planning
- 8 Iceland car rental agencies
- 9 Hotel Fita Amsterdam- questions re: air conditioning
- 10 How much do you tip a tour guide on an escorted tour?
- 11 Madrid/Andalucia Trip
- 12 LONG Trip Report Barcelona & Costa Brava June 2017
- 13 Please help: Swiss Pass/Lucerne/Engadine?
- 14 Zermatt this weekend, a good idea looking at the weather?
- 15 Trip Report: Italy with the bambinos!
- 16 Can I visit Rotterdam on a 6h40 min layover in Schiphol?
- 17 PORTO (???) combine with Galicia??
- 18 Lisbon to San Sebastián to Madrid itinerary help!
- 19 10 days in London in early December
- 20 Restaurants near Cortina, Italy
- 21 Berlin to ?
- 22 Day trip from Amsterdam for college girls
- 23 Travel from Cinque Terra to Pezenaz, France
- 24 Plane to Train Connection-CDG to Gare De Lyon
- 25 Scotland & UK: 2 weeks with Sheep & Cows
I'm from the U.S.