I'm from the U.S.
I am going to spend a month in England with my significant other who lives in Reading, right outside of London from late december to late-January. I've read a lot of forums on here about the Brit-rail pass and it being worth it or not worth it, but I have a unique situation.
I want to buy the flexi pass which is $385(low season) for 8 days. I will be in Reading for the majority of the 5 weeks I'll be spending with him, but I want to be able to go out and explore every now and then. January being a ridiculously unpredictable month for weather, I don't want to book trips now, and then be snowed out, or have to go to Dover castle when it's miserable (relatively miserable to the rest of January I suppose). So I want to be able to go whenever the weather is at least somewhat agreeable to go see Dover Castle, Canterbury, Warwick Castle, Stratford-upon-avon, Bath,... maybe even a weekend to scotland.
I'm looking at the tickets and from Reading to warwick on nationalrail.co.uk, it's £39.00, .. and then from warwick to stratford-upon-avon, it's another £5.20, right then and there, the pass paid for itself on that trip alone (385 divided by 8 is around 50 bucks a day).
I want to make sure I'm looking at this right, or that I'm not missing anything. Would it be better if I just showed up at the last minute or last minute bookings as opposed to buying the britrail pass?
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 great hotel and food in Lyon
- 2 Luggage Storage
- 3 Paris- 1 B.R. APT.
- 4 Back from Paris
- 5 Driving from Viena to Frankfurt
- 6 Urgent- Pleaseee HELP - Spain, Italy or France for Xmass and New years
- 7 Scotland-Looking for itinerary advice for 9 day trip
- 8 Another tipping question: concierges
- 9 Bernese Oberland + Luzern 4 days
- 10 Paris and London Christmas / NY EVE
- 11 Ireland in April-Day trips from Galway base
- 12 NOT our first trip to Ireland
- 13 Trip suggestion
- 14 Spain in July
- 15 Summer Travel order
- 16 Euro Travel & Trivia Quiz #139
- 17 LIsbon
- 18 Where to weekend away from Frankfurt
- 19 Corfu
- 20 Chios and Mesta Chios
- 21 Copenhagen to Stockholm
- 22 Boston to Le Marche - which airport?
- 23 Which airport for Bellagio?
- 24 International Flight Question
- 25 After Beaune, need suggestions for the next 10 days
I'm from the U.S.