I will be in Rome, along with my husband and three daughters (13, 16, 20) over the Christmas break, and I'm trying to make an itinerary. On our day to visit the Vatican museums and St. Peter's (Dec-24), I have come up with two possible scenarious, and I would like some feedback from anybody willing to give it.
I suspect that the Vatican museums will be extremely crowded over the holidays, particularly considering that the museums will be closed on the 23, 25, and 26. We are early risers and like to start out on our day's adventures pretty early. Therefore, I thought the early-entrance Vatican museum tour through a company such as Presto Tours would be a good plan -- you get to enter the museum at 8 AM (before it is open to the general public) and, presumably, the crowds will be lighter and it would be easier to appreciate the art and the Sistine chapel without fighting crowds. After the tour we could climb St. Peter's. The problem with this plan is that it is considerably more expensive (115 E more) than plan B which involves visiting St. Peter's on our own when it opens (at 7) and afterwards taking a Vatican sponsered morning tour of the museums. The advantage of Plan B is that perhaps St. Peter's would be less crowded early in the morning and we could climb the cupula as soon as it opens at 8.
Any thoughts? Has anybody here taken one of the before-hours tours? Would you pay 23 Euros more per person for the early entrance (and presumably a smaller tour group)?
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Scotland Trip
- 2 Paris Under Seige...
- 3 Frankfurt to (insert ideads here) then to the Mosel region
- 4 Received Black Friday ads feom Europe
- 5 Advices about our itiniary
- 6 An Escape from Turkish Chaos to Everyday Venice
- 7 What to take to Germany
- 8 One day cruise stop Catania Sicily Trip Report
- 9 Denied entry to UK; could this give me problems going to Estonia?
- 10 4 week trip Turkey
- 11 advice on my 3 month backpacking trip itinerary?
- 12 Celebrating Christmas Early...in Vienna!
- 13 Seeking Croatia/Slovenia planning assistance
- 14 First trip to Italy-2 weeks with a 9 year old
- 15 Sample European Itinerary for a solo traveler.
- 16 Must be the season of the witch: Nikki's autumn trip to London and Paris
- 17 Private transportation
- 18 Christmas windows of Boulevard Haussmann in Paris 2015
- 19 Suggestions for travel
- 20 Cinque Terre day trip in about 3 weeks
- 21 Bergen/Tromso/Lofoten
- 22 Restaurant for New Year's Eve in PARIS
- 23 Holiday in Austria
- 24 Suggest the best land-based casino in Central London
- 25 Need Help with Locations of Naples Apartments