I will be in Rome, along with my husband and three daughters (13, 16, 20) over the Christmas break, and I'm trying to make an itinerary. On our day to visit the Vatican museums and St. Peter's (Dec-24), I have come up with two possible scenarious, and I would like some feedback from anybody willing to give it.
I suspect that the Vatican museums will be extremely crowded over the holidays, particularly considering that the museums will be closed on the 23, 25, and 26. We are early risers and like to start out on our day's adventures pretty early. Therefore, I thought the early-entrance Vatican museum tour through a company such as Presto Tours would be a good plan -- you get to enter the museum at 8 AM (before it is open to the general public) and, presumably, the crowds will be lighter and it would be easier to appreciate the art and the Sistine chapel without fighting crowds. After the tour we could climb St. Peter's. The problem with this plan is that it is considerably more expensive (115 E more) than plan B which involves visiting St. Peter's on our own when it opens (at 7) and afterwards taking a Vatican sponsered morning tour of the museums. The advantage of Plan B is that perhaps St. Peter's would be less crowded early in the morning and we could climb the cupula as soon as it opens at 8.
Any thoughts? Has anybody here taken one of the before-hours tours? Would you pay 23 Euros more per person for the early entrance (and presumably a smaller tour group)?
Early morning Vatican museum entrance
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 things in Rhonda
- 2 England, Scotland, Ireland, and France... Where do I start?! (three weeks)
- 3 Confusing Care rental in Italy Continued . . . Locauto?
- 4 Which hotel in Lisbon?
- 5 Italy Trip: Another Scrap With Friction
- 6 TR: Solo in LONDON for ten days on unfinished business ...
- 7 Speeding ticket in Germany: how do I handle this?
- 8 There Nights in Paris - Lodging, Tour, Places, Language
- 9 A weekend in Europe--where to go?
- 10 Advice and suggestions welcome for 2 month trip
- 11 Please critique my Croatia/Slovenia itinerary
- 12 Madrid—Portugal—Northern Spain—Barcelona by car, need an itinerary...
- 13 Spain for 5 days at end of August
- 14 There Nights in Venice - Lodging, Tour, Places, Language
- 15 There Nights in London - Lodging, Tour, Places
- 16 If you had a week in Switzerland...
- 17 One month in Puglia and Matera
- 18 Northern Spain literature
- 19 Is May Day a big deal in Barcelona?
- 20 Amalfi Coast vs Greece
- 21 10 days in England
- 22 specific question about my possible trip to europe with Schengen law
- 23 Two Week Big Fat Family Vacation to Greece
- 24 Favorite Views of Paris?
- 25 Croatia itinerary