I will be in Rome, along with my husband and three daughters (13, 16, 20) over the Christmas break, and I'm trying to make an itinerary. On our day to visit the Vatican museums and St. Peter's (Dec-24), I have come up with two possible scenarious, and I would like some feedback from anybody willing to give it.
I suspect that the Vatican museums will be extremely crowded over the holidays, particularly considering that the museums will be closed on the 23, 25, and 26. We are early risers and like to start out on our day's adventures pretty early. Therefore, I thought the early-entrance Vatican museum tour through a company such as Presto Tours would be a good plan -- you get to enter the museum at 8 AM (before it is open to the general public) and, presumably, the crowds will be lighter and it would be easier to appreciate the art and the Sistine chapel without fighting crowds. After the tour we could climb St. Peter's. The problem with this plan is that it is considerably more expensive (115 E more) than plan B which involves visiting St. Peter's on our own when it opens (at 7) and afterwards taking a Vatican sponsered morning tour of the museums. The advantage of Plan B is that perhaps St. Peter's would be less crowded early in the morning and we could climb the cupula as soon as it opens at 8.
Any thoughts? Has anybody here taken one of the before-hours tours? Would you pay 23 Euros more per person for the early entrance (and presumably a smaller tour group)?
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Salzburg or Regensberg
- 2 4 days in switzerland
- 3 A Week in Western Crete (with photos)
- 4 France and Barcelona : 2016 Trip Report
- 5 Thello night train from Paris to Rome?
- 6 Swiss Pass dilemma
- 7 Munich
- 8 Trip Report: Krakow and Warsaw
- 9 First time in France
- 10 More Info : http://fitnesssteer.com/helix-forte-fr/
- 11 Holiday trip with kids - suggestions please!
- 12 Budapest Hotels
- 13 Britain's contactless public transport revolution moves to Oxford
- 14 One month in southern Spain with little ones. Where to stay?
- 15 Visa for one Schengen Country, and traveling with EU spouse and children
- 16 Our week in Scotland—“againn san t-seachdain ann an Alba”
- 17 14 days in Greece itinerary ???
- 18 When is Pope's schedule released for 2017?
- 19 Naples, Amalfi coast and Puglia - suggestions please.
- 20 Planning a self drive tour of the uk next april
- 21 My trip to Cornwall, bookended by weekends in London
- 22 Portugal itinerary help
- 23 First Time Solo Travel info
- 24 Prague hotels
- 25 The Princess Diaries: My Three Week Odyssey In Poland And Romania