I will be in Rome, along with my husband and three daughters (13, 16, 20) over the Christmas break, and I'm trying to make an itinerary. On our day to visit the Vatican museums and St. Peter's (Dec-24), I have come up with two possible scenarious, and I would like some feedback from anybody willing to give it.
I suspect that the Vatican museums will be extremely crowded over the holidays, particularly considering that the museums will be closed on the 23, 25, and 26. We are early risers and like to start out on our day's adventures pretty early. Therefore, I thought the early-entrance Vatican museum tour through a company such as Presto Tours would be a good plan -- you get to enter the museum at 8 AM (before it is open to the general public) and, presumably, the crowds will be lighter and it would be easier to appreciate the art and the Sistine chapel without fighting crowds. After the tour we could climb St. Peter's. The problem with this plan is that it is considerably more expensive (115 E more) than plan B which involves visiting St. Peter's on our own when it opens (at 7) and afterwards taking a Vatican sponsered morning tour of the museums. The advantage of Plan B is that perhaps St. Peter's would be less crowded early in the morning and we could climb the cupula as soon as it opens at 8.
Any thoughts? Has anybody here taken one of the before-hours tours? Would you pay 23 Euros more per person for the early entrance (and presumably a smaller tour group)?
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Spanish Medical Providers
- 2 Mantova, Ravenna, Brisighella, Bologna
- 3 Christmas windows in Paris 2016
- 4 God Save the Queen?
- 5 Help with Portugal Itinerary Please
- 6 Milan or Turin
- 7 Frankfurt to UK
- 8 Upscale Vacation Apartment Rentals in Vienna/Prague
- 9 He Musta Saw Us a-Comin': A Brief, Cautionary Tale about Taxis in Rome
- 10 Prague and Budapest with a 16 month old
- 11 Greece - when is the best time to go for warm but not too crowded?
- 12 Paris Neighborhood Help
- 13 Charming movie to watch if you've visited Erice in Sicily
- 14 Vacation apartment registration begins in Paris 1 Oct
- 15 Daily budget for London (accommodation already paid for)
- 16 Christmas Markets France/Germany
- 17 Requesting feedback on proposed itinerary—London, Cornwall, and Wales, June 2018
- 18 FRANCE 10 YEARS ON: Paris Dordogne Albi Toulouse Arles S Rhone and Nice
- 19 Stanbr and Lolly visit Eastern Crete
- 20 Venice to Zermatt by Train
- 21 Itinerary for 5 adults, 3 kids, 2 weeks, & 1 holiday adventure!
- 22 9 Days in Spain
- 23 Barcelona alternative
- 24 13 Nights Greece, first time, April 2018. HELP
- 25 Train from Polgate to St Pancras