I will be in Rome, along with my husband and three daughters (13, 16, 20) over the Christmas break, and I'm trying to make an itinerary. On our day to visit the Vatican museums and St. Peter's (Dec-24), I have come up with two possible scenarious, and I would like some feedback from anybody willing to give it.
I suspect that the Vatican museums will be extremely crowded over the holidays, particularly considering that the museums will be closed on the 23, 25, and 26. We are early risers and like to start out on our day's adventures pretty early. Therefore, I thought the early-entrance Vatican museum tour through a company such as Presto Tours would be a good plan -- you get to enter the museum at 8 AM (before it is open to the general public) and, presumably, the crowds will be lighter and it would be easier to appreciate the art and the Sistine chapel without fighting crowds. After the tour we could climb St. Peter's. The problem with this plan is that it is considerably more expensive (115 E more) than plan B which involves visiting St. Peter's on our own when it opens (at 7) and afterwards taking a Vatican sponsered morning tour of the museums. The advantage of Plan B is that perhaps St. Peter's would be less crowded early in the morning and we could climb the cupula as soon as it opens at 8.
Any thoughts? Has anybody here taken one of the before-hours tours? Would you pay 23 Euros more per person for the early entrance (and presumably a smaller tour group)?
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 This is Why I Will Always Travel Solo From Now: Trip Report -Rome and Sorrento
- 2 Thoughts on Valencia for two days from Barcelona?
- 3 Looking for Bicycling info in EU
- 4 Ideas for trip somewhere in Europe this October for 4?
- 5 Newbie - seeking any advice
- 6 British Isles Cruise
- 7 Modifying car rental for new destination
- 8 Need advice on 9 day itinierary that has significantly morphed!
- 9 Need last minute rental in Amsterdam
- 10 Bus Tickets in Wurzburg
- 11 1 more city to visit in Spain
- 12 Four days in Amsterdam- What to Do?!
- 13 Paris Vacation Rentals in 2015
- 14 Need advice on day trip to Cotswold from London
- 15 Turkey Quick Trip
- 16 Itinerary Malaga - Tarifa
- 17 Car rental in Oxford, UK
- 18 Milano Linate to Milano Centrale Question
- 19 Romantic Honeymoon Ideas for Jan end/early Feb 2016 please!
- 20 Pegontheroad in eastern Europe
- 21 Trip Report Western Crete, Paros and Naxos 2015
- 22 Need a couple of trail suggestions in Alpe Siusi
- 23 How has Rome changed in last 30 years?
- 24 Sweden and Denmark
- 25 Galleria dell Accademia tickets