We are planning on renting a car in Prague - then travelling to Krakow, Budapest ,Vienna and back to Prague. I've read about this on this site before but the posts are all very old. I am wondering if anyone has done it recently or any leg of the trip? I am wondering if someone could estimate how much extra we will be paying for tolls, vignettes etc...I am most concerned about the leg from Krakow to Budapest. I understand there are mountain roads etc and the 5 hr 45 min time estimate given by maps may be much longer.
We have travelled by car in Europe many times before but never more than 3 hours or so.
I've looked into the night train option but it is pricey for our family of 4 and I'm not sure I could sleep on the cot - I am concerned my whole next day will be ruined due to being tired! Also - is there a better time to leave Krakow for Budapest? Early morning? Or later afternoon and travel through to the evening? I don't know if there is a "rush hour" there.
We plan to overnight in Eger on the way from Krakow to Budapest and also experience the salt baths there and a good massage! Any input on this?
Thank you so much!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Visa Free Entry To Spain
- 2 Dinner get-together in Paris?
- 3 Greece + Italy | Itinerary Suggestions
- 4 Organizing our 8 day Roman visit
- 5 Safety in Lamezia Terme, Italy
- 6 Italian Honeymoon Advice
- 7 14 days in Italy in late June with 6 adults + 6 little kids
- 8 Amalfi or Tuscany?
- 9 Day trip to Montserrat - any tips?
- 10 Where to stay in Reykjavik
- 11 Italian lakes
- 12 Trump alleged to be "keen" for US to join Commonwealth
- 13 Netherlands,Belgium,Austria and South Germany
- 14 Barcelona appartment is it a good location ?
- 15 3 Month Europe Itineray -- please critique
- 16 Italy - Car vs Train: Milan, Cinque Terre, Lalyake District in March
- 17 Question re best time of day to visit Keukenhof
- 18 Andalucia itinerary help
- 19 Croatia... Is dubrovnik a must?
- 20 Day Trips from Dunfermline
- 21 Driving Excursions/Day Trips outside of Edinburgh
- 22 Barcelona
- 23 Planning a European Trip
- 24 Best place to view alps from Italy
- 25 Santorini lodging