We are planning on renting a car in Prague - then travelling to Krakow, Budapest ,Vienna and back to Prague. I've read about this on this site before but the posts are all very old. I am wondering if anyone has done it recently or any leg of the trip? I am wondering if someone could estimate how much extra we will be paying for tolls, vignettes etc...I am most concerned about the leg from Krakow to Budapest. I understand there are mountain roads etc and the 5 hr 45 min time estimate given by maps may be much longer.
We have travelled by car in Europe many times before but never more than 3 hours or so.
I've looked into the night train option but it is pricey for our family of 4 and I'm not sure I could sleep on the cot - I am concerned my whole next day will be ruined due to being tired! Also - is there a better time to leave Krakow for Budapest? Early morning? Or later afternoon and travel through to the evening? I don't know if there is a "rush hour" there.
We plan to overnight in Eger on the way from Krakow to Budapest and also experience the salt baths there and a good massage! Any input on this?
Thank you so much!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 London in Winter Report
- 2 FIndng Vintage French Workwear in Paris
- 3 Greek honeymoon: He wants sightseeing, she wants beaches
- 4 Inside the Red Light District so you don't have to be
- 5 First family holiday to Europe & wanting advice
- 6 London is it worth it?
- 7 Solo in Paris and looking for the best neighborhood
- 8 My thoughts go to Manchester
- 9 Mobile wifi for Europe travel
- 10 Châteauneuf-du-Pape Wine tours and Luberon Wine Producers
- 11 Allocating time in Barcelona - Gaudi tickets
- 12 Montserrat Express
- 13 Help with Scotland Itinerary
- 14 Is Dalamatian Coast similar to Amalfi Coast in terms of travel logistics?
- 15 International drivers permit
- 16 Renting a car for France thru BritishAirways.com instead of AutoEurope
- 17 Places to stop/stay?
- 18 Driving Bruges to Paris. Is it worth the drive?
- 19 transportation from De Gaulle airport
- 20 Croatia, Montenegro, Slovenia Itinerary July
- 21 ATM help
- 22 Stockholm 5.5 days
- 23 Best Masseria in Puglia
- 24 Visit to Sardinia
- 25 Car Rentals in Ireland