Planning in earnest now for our next trip which is France (Lyon, Sarlat, Amboise, Paris) October 3-18. We'll have 5 nights, 4 full days, in Sarlat-la-Caneda in an apartment in the old town. I'm trying to group things logically to maximize our short time, knowing that we may not get to everything, which is perfectly ok, and I've come up with this tentative plan.
Husband requested Pech Merle and Lascaux. I want to see Grotte de Padirac. The other sites were selected with help from the Michelin Green Guide and reading up on the forums, particularly TPAYT, yestravel, MaitaiTom and Stu Dudley' s itinerary.
We're not great shoppers so probably won't linger overlong at the Market. We love beautiful scenery, good food, pretty gardens and chateau. We really want to canoe or take the gabarres on the river. We're hoping for nice weather and fewer crowds than high summer. Restaurant suggestions are always welcome!
Monday: Drive Lyon to Sarlat (4.5 -5 hours). Check into apartment.
Maybe canoe or gabarres trip down river
Tuesday: (Unfortunately the Musee National Prehistoire is closed on Tuesday because ideally we'd see that before visiting the caves).
Rocamadour (from L’Hospitalet, if time, visit the town)
Gouffre de Padirac (10-12/2-5, reserve for what time?)
Beaux Villages: Loubressac, Carennac, Martel, Collonges-la-Rouge
Wednesday: Sarlat Market day, Eglise St. Sacerdos
Chateau de Beynac
Chateau de Castelnaud
View/visit La Roque Gageac
Option 1: Pech Merle 1030am English tour (reserved)
St. Cirq Lapopie
Option 2: Pech Merle 1030am English tour (reserved)
Chateau de Milands
La Roque Gageac
(Could we fit Domme and Chateau de Milands in any other day?)
Friday: Musee National Prehistoire (930-6) in Les Eyzies-de-Tayac
Lascaux II (930-6)
Grotte de Rouffignac (10-1130/2-5)
Roque St. Christophe (10-6)
Jardins Du Manoir D'Eyrignac
Please let me know what you think.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Visiting paris and italy can this itinerary work?
- 2 Ireland Itinerary- biting off more than we can chew?
- 3 Cordoba, Granada, Seville loop
- 4 Something to do with my mother-in-law in Madrid
- 5 Hilton CPH no loner
- 6 Swiss registered car in Liechtenstein
- 7 travel around Spain
- 8 Scotland Trip Report
- 9 French Wedding
- 10 Best way to walk up Gianicolo hill Rome
- 11 Charming villages in Austria for hiking trip in mid-June 2016?
- 12 London lodging 3 adults 3 kids (7,11,13)
- 13 Trip Report Crete May 2016
- 14 New notes and coins and death dates for old ones
- 15 Spain: general question about Mondays and museums
- 16 Skip the line tours of the Alhambra, Granada.
- 17 Wedding in Finland
- 18 Clocks forward one hour tonight
- 19 Thoughts on visiting Turkey this summer? Safe?
- 20 To Aeolians or Not? Please Critique our Sicily Itinerary for May/June
- 21 Cornwall UK
- 22 Does Zurich have a hop on hop off bus system
- 23 2017 Tulips, Amsterdam, Time(as in three days)
- 24 Give advice on Austria trip in the fall.....
- 25 Photo tours Zurich Lucern areas