Planning in earnest now for our next trip which is France (Lyon, Sarlat, Amboise, Paris) October 3-18. We'll have 5 nights, 4 full days, in Sarlat-la-Caneda in an apartment in the old town. I'm trying to group things logically to maximize our short time, knowing that we may not get to everything, which is perfectly ok, and I've come up with this tentative plan.
Husband requested Pech Merle and Lascaux. I want to see Grotte de Padirac. The other sites were selected with help from the Michelin Green Guide and reading up on the forums, particularly TPAYT, yestravel, MaitaiTom and Stu Dudley' s itinerary.
We're not great shoppers so probably won't linger overlong at the Market. We love beautiful scenery, good food, pretty gardens and chateau. We really want to canoe or take the gabarres on the river. We're hoping for nice weather and fewer crowds than high summer. Restaurant suggestions are always welcome!
Monday: Drive Lyon to Sarlat (4.5 -5 hours). Check into apartment.
Maybe canoe or gabarres trip down river
Tuesday: (Unfortunately the Musee National Prehistoire is closed on Tuesday because ideally we'd see that before visiting the caves).
Rocamadour (from L’Hospitalet, if time, visit the town)
Gouffre de Padirac (10-12/2-5, reserve for what time?)
Beaux Villages: Loubressac, Carennac, Martel, Collonges-la-Rouge
Wednesday: Sarlat Market day, Eglise St. Sacerdos
Chateau de Beynac
Chateau de Castelnaud
View/visit La Roque Gageac
Option 1: Pech Merle 1030am English tour (reserved)
St. Cirq Lapopie
Option 2: Pech Merle 1030am English tour (reserved)
Chateau de Milands
La Roque Gageac
(Could we fit Domme and Chateau de Milands in any other day?)
Friday: Musee National Prehistoire (930-6) in Les Eyzies-de-Tayac
Lascaux II (930-6)
Grotte de Rouffignac (10-1130/2-5)
Roque St. Christophe (10-6)
Jardins Du Manoir D'Eyrignac
Please let me know what you think.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Help with Crete Itinerary
- 2 London with Teens Trip Report
- 3 Cortona -- just a passing thought
- 4 Charming hotels in Paris, please help.
- 5 Dublin & Environs with Teens Trip Report
- 6 Lake Como AREA questions
- 7 Language course in Trieste, Northern Italy
- 8 Madrid/Andalucia Trip
- 9 RS view on booking.com & the like
- 10 PORTO (???) combine with Galicia??
- 11 Spain - day driver advice
- 12 Sitting at a cafe watching the world go by - hmmm...
- 13 Capri is for vacationing, la Dordogne is for living
- 14 Please help with Carry-on Question--CDG!
- 15 Day Trips from Zug in Switzerland
- 16 Late November with a 7-month-old - Portugal?
- 17 Please help: Swiss Pass/Lucerne/Engadine?
- 18 Best walking route Plitvice Lakes
- 19 Bregenzer Festspiele: the opera Carmen
- 20 Charming Balcony Hotel in Le Marais?
- 21 Trip Report: Italy with the bambinos!
- 22 Day trip from Amsterdam for college girls
- 23 Trains from Istanbul to Budapest
- 24 Madrird and Seville
- 25 Greece