Thanks for providing such a wealth of information and a great forum for sharing your experience and knowledge. I’ve read through some posts and have found some great information.
My girlfriend and I plan to travel to Greece, Italy, France and Spain next May/June. We have a comfortable budget and around 4 weeks to cover our itinerary. We have put together a bit of a mind dump of an itinerary which I suspect has way too many destinations. Using the itinerary FAQ’s ‘divide by 3.5’ rule of thumb we should only be visiting around 8-9 places over the 30 odd days we have available.
The current draft itinerary has 25! Haha ☺
I have been to France, but when I was 10 so i don't remember a great deal.
My girlfriend has been to France, Italy and Spain, but on a quick two week Contiki tour.
I'm keen on visiting the Loire Valley and Meteora (please let me know if its worth it).
She is set on visiting Santorini.
To help with responses: the type of advice we'd cherish is advice on whether certain places are worth seeing based on certain attractions (e.g restaurant, landmark, view, festival, nightlife etc), your experiences there, how the place fits in with the others on the list (eg is it not worth seeing place x because place y has a better something anyway) or other consideration. We know we have way too many places and your insight will help with whittling the list down!
Not that keen on:
mosh pit type crowds
backpacking type travel
overrated anti-climatic cliched experiences
touristy booze/drug culture areas/'attractions'
harassment by peddlers
anything to do with food or cooking
One question is whether to fly to Athens and start from Greece, or fly into Lisbon and start from there or vice versa… or something completely different.
Any comments would be great, we'd love if you could share your experiences and help us hack down the number of places we have on the list!
Thanks in advance
Sorry for the long link, but here is our itinerary on Google Maps:
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 London-Paris solo trip
- 2 3 days Venice to Paris
- 3 Eiffel Tower in mid-June without pre-booking
- 4 HeathrowAirport to bakery
- 5 Versailles or Mont St Michel ?
- 6 Suggestions for 6 days in Central Europe (Hungary/around there)
- 7 Pre-booking colosseum tour tickets - help needed
- 8 Favorite eateries in the Balkan States
- 9 Three days in Athens
- 10 Another Visit to London
- 11 The Tweesters Travel with Tito: 2 weeks in Bosnia, Croatia, Slovenia
- 12 transfer from Eurostar to London hotel
- 13 Northern Italy
- 14 Where can I get pre-euro banknotes?
- 15 Lucca to Florence with side trips
- 16 Europe in Two Weeks, what is possible?
- 17 Five City European Vacation thru Groupon
- 18 Walking stylish sandals/flats
- 19 Two days in Switzerland or Lake Como Italy
- 20 5 Days in Provence
- 21 A 3rd destination to add to trip
- 22 Transportation from Gothenburg airport to the Center
- 23 Anyone travel with to Europe with ISE when they were in college?
- 24 Forints or Euros?
- 25 Paris 5 Day itinerary - Suggestions plz