My boyfriend and I are leaving for Portugal next week, eep! We have planned a stay in Guimaraes, and while we are there we would like to go to the Citânia de Briteiros archaeological site. According to the guidebook, it is about 15 km from Guimaraes, which seems too far to walk, alas. We'd prefer not to rent a car.
One guidebook mentioned a bus, but it didn't sound terribly convenient as it only operates 3 times per day and doesn't get you terribly close, but I am definitely willing to be persuaded otherwise.
Would a cab be crazy expensive? Are there reasonable tours? (I've seen a guide recommended, but 65E+ for a couple of hours seems rather steep). Is it possible to bike there, and, if so, can bikes be rented in Guimaraes?
Any information would be much appreciated, thank you!
Also, if we do need to rent a car, do Portugal rental agents require the International Driving Permit? I'd prefer not to sink two hours of my time into going to AAA to buy one if I don't have to.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Last minute trip to Germany and Switzerland
- 2 Montserrat, Spain - Sept 8 or Sept 10?
- 3 Neuschwanstein Castle and Munich
- 4 Last minute trip to Capri
- 5 First time to Spain: Seville & Madrid
- 6 AMS Car Rental
- 7 Ischia Earthquake/mobile wifi
- 8 Private transportation between Italian Cities
- 9 Help! Need Itinerary advice for Vacation in the Alps
- 10 Where to eat in Rome?
- 11 weekend from cologne germany
- 12 9 day Trip to Scotland
- 13 Mid-late Oct in Slovenia?
- 14 Estonia, Finland, and Iceland: Summer 2017
- 15 Birthday dinner in Salzburg
- 16 Provence, Strasbourg, Paris early September
- 17 Uber in Rome & Lisbon
- 18 Milan and Lake Como
- 19 TRIP REPORT: Paris, Bordeaux, Dordogne, Toulouse, Provence, and more
- 20 Mallorca: Hotel in/near Palma?
- 21 One week in Europe
- 22 Budapest to Kosice
- 23 Venice in October... by myself! (Please advise.)
- 24 Itinerary Germany 9/10 - 9/24/17
- 25 UK or France or elsewhere, July 2018, good price from west coast?