Hello, I will be travelling in Italy with my 8 month old baby and am wondering whether it is OK to breastfeed him in public, as I do in Canada. I have just read the posts on this topic from 2001 and am wondering if things have changed? At the time of the 2001 series of posts, a person living in Italy said absolutely not, and several others, presumably in North America, said it's OK if you cover up... they also seemed to say they would cover up at home too. These days, at least where I live, breastfeeding is strongly encouraged (to the point where there's terrible guilt if you don't) and I suppose it has become a bit political - it is not OK to ask a breastfeeding mom to be discreet or cover up. I'm not trying to be political about it myself, but I have become comfortable feeding my baby wherever and whenever he needs to be fed. I turn away while I get him settled but I don't use those cover-ups (too hot and hard to breathe in there) and I don't pump so that I can give him a bottle in public (pumping is really unpleasant and time consuming). I have said more than I need to here - just reacting to the posts from 2001. So back to the question: today, in 2012, is it OK to breastfeed my baby in Italy? Do I need to cover up and will people think I am being rude or that it's icky? Thanks!
Breastfeeding in Italy
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Secure parking in Tarifa, Spain
- 2 specific question about my possible trip to europe with Schengen law
- 3 Two Bonnie Lasses: A Road Trip from Edinburgh to London
- 4 Where to leave luggage while touring Amsterdam for 10 hours
- 5 Cotswolds village base
- 6 Crete Chania and the Libyan Sea villages
- 7 Portugal end of August - Barcelos - clothing?
- 8 I booked "Paris in Winter"
- 9 Walking Tours in Rome and Florence
- 10 Should I book train tickets before I arrive in Switzerland ?
- 11 Amalfi Coast vs Greece
- 12 Confused about tipping in Swiss restaurants
- 13 Please help us maximize our time in each European city
- 14 Determing Location of FIRST BIG TRIP - Where do go in Italy?
- 15 Does this itinerary work and make sense? Help!
- 16 Netherlands Delta Works
- 17 Southern Italy without a Car
- 18 Two rail trips in Italy - buy tickets at station the day of, or rail pass?
- 19 If you had a week in Switzerland...
- 20 One month in Puglia and Matera
- 21 Hotel in Rome?
- 22 Scotland trip report July 2014, chapter 1
- 23 Visit to Bath and London england
- 24 IRELAND - the driving is great: east to west, south to north!
- 25 Bus to Vietri Sul Mare?