Hello, I will be travelling in Italy with my 8 month old baby and am wondering whether it is OK to breastfeed him in public, as I do in Canada. I have just read the posts on this topic from 2001 and am wondering if things have changed? At the time of the 2001 series of posts, a person living in Italy said absolutely not, and several others, presumably in North America, said it's OK if you cover up... they also seemed to say they would cover up at home too. These days, at least where I live, breastfeeding is strongly encouraged (to the point where there's terrible guilt if you don't) and I suppose it has become a bit political - it is not OK to ask a breastfeeding mom to be discreet or cover up. I'm not trying to be political about it myself, but I have become comfortable feeding my baby wherever and whenever he needs to be fed. I turn away while I get him settled but I don't use those cover-ups (too hot and hard to breathe in there) and I don't pump so that I can give him a bottle in public (pumping is really unpleasant and time consuming). I have said more than I need to here - just reacting to the posts from 2001. So back to the question: today, in 2012, is it OK to breastfeed my baby in Italy? Do I need to cover up and will people think I am being rude or that it's icky? Thanks!
Breastfeeding in Italy
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Ireland 8 day Itinerary help
- 2 Golfing in Ireland
- 3 Day trip to Rothenberg from Munich
- 4 Italy-Rome-Florence-Venice-CT-PievePelego-Help with order of travel
- 5 Ryanair Cabin Luggage
- 6 Eatwith - dine with locals
- 7 What still confounds you about travel?
- 8 Greece--Crete or Peloponnis?
- 9 Naxos Island: Best Way to Get Around?
- 10 Dining at the Eiffel Tower
- 11 Help with Itinerary please!!!!
- 12 Santorini
- 13 1 week in Switzerland with 18 year old son
- 14 Advice on Two Week Itinerary Please! (London,Paris,Luxembourg,Brussels)
- 15 Foie gras, redux
- 16 Must see in Dubrovnik
- 17 Questions for my German friends
- 18 Chip but no PIN
- 19 Planning first Solo Backpacking in Europe!
- 20 Best route from Pamukkale to Fethiye by car
- 21 Planning 17 days Italy - Switzerland - Germany
- 22 Advance Tickets Segrada Familia - Barcelona
- 23 Two weeks in Paris ... how to fill?
- 24 Anyone been to Rhodes,Crete,etc. over Christmas?
- 25 Prague, Budapest & Croatia +Krakow?