Hello, I will be travelling in Italy with my 8 month old baby and am wondering whether it is OK to breastfeed him in public, as I do in Canada. I have just read the posts on this topic from 2001 and am wondering if things have changed? At the time of the 2001 series of posts, a person living in Italy said absolutely not, and several others, presumably in North America, said it's OK if you cover up... they also seemed to say they would cover up at home too. These days, at least where I live, breastfeeding is strongly encouraged (to the point where there's terrible guilt if you don't) and I suppose it has become a bit political - it is not OK to ask a breastfeeding mom to be discreet or cover up. I'm not trying to be political about it myself, but I have become comfortable feeding my baby wherever and whenever he needs to be fed. I turn away while I get him settled but I don't use those cover-ups (too hot and hard to breathe in there) and I don't pump so that I can give him a bottle in public (pumping is really unpleasant and time consuming). I have said more than I need to here - just reacting to the posts from 2001. So back to the question: today, in 2012, is it OK to breastfeed my baby in Italy? Do I need to cover up and will people think I am being rude or that it's icky? Thanks!
Breastfeeding in Italy
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Luggage sizing
- 2 Where should I go (4 days after work week in London)
- 3 Moving to Belfast
- 4 Help with Tuscany for a week late May/early June
- 5 Hotels and locations in Barcelona
- 6 Need Some Italy Planning Help
- 7 Gluten-free in Ireland
- 8 Confused about Norway in a Nutshell!
- 9 Christmas Market Battle: Vienna/Salzburg/Munich
- 10 Hotels in Amsterdam and Paris @ less than 150 euros per night
- 11 Blissful Airbnbs,Risky Segways,Vegan Tapas: Prague-Hvar-Andalucía-Madrid
- 12 Alcobaca, Batalha and Tomar, all or one?
- 13 Wheelie Suitcases Ban
- 14 Munich - vacation apartment rental, week after Christmas
- 15 3 day trip from Madrid to Bourdeaux by car
- 16 Amsterdam safety concerns - red light district?
- 17 Amsterdam--where to stay??
- 18 15 days in Europe from 15 Dec 2014 to 1st Jan 2015
- 19 Rome, Naples, Florence, Venice with 4 teenagers, 1 kid, 19 days perfect!
- 20 handel's messiah, new year's, paris
- 21 Gstaad, Switzerland, am I missing anything?
- 22 Scuol, Switzerland
- 23 2 Weeks in Paris
- 24 Madrid - Bernina Express
- 25 Dolomites in May? Worth it?