Hello, I will be travelling in Italy with my 8 month old baby and am wondering whether it is OK to breastfeed him in public, as I do in Canada. I have just read the posts on this topic from 2001 and am wondering if things have changed? At the time of the 2001 series of posts, a person living in Italy said absolutely not, and several others, presumably in North America, said it's OK if you cover up... they also seemed to say they would cover up at home too. These days, at least where I live, breastfeeding is strongly encouraged (to the point where there's terrible guilt if you don't) and I suppose it has become a bit political - it is not OK to ask a breastfeeding mom to be discreet or cover up. I'm not trying to be political about it myself, but I have become comfortable feeding my baby wherever and whenever he needs to be fed. I turn away while I get him settled but I don't use those cover-ups (too hot and hard to breathe in there) and I don't pump so that I can give him a bottle in public (pumping is really unpleasant and time consuming). I have said more than I need to here - just reacting to the posts from 2001. So back to the question: today, in 2012, is it OK to breastfeed my baby in Italy? Do I need to cover up and will people think I am being rude or that it's icky? Thanks!
Breastfeeding in Italy
View all Europe activity »
- 1 One more week hardly in Paris: still wandering the Ile de France
- 2 USING THE METRO FROM AEROPORT CDG 2 TGV TO Place d'Italie
- 3 Suggestion for car service from DeGaulle to apartment in Paris?
- 4 best beach hotel Mykonos
- 5 Gift/Travel Cards for Spain?
- 6 Family European winter holiday
- 7 Paris Ariival..for Those who have requested
- 8 2 Week European Itinerary
- 9 Geneva-Verbier-Zurich
- 10 El Rocio festival, Huelva
- 11 Budget (or at least Somewhat Inexpensive) Lodging in Bologna
- 12 Rome Accommodation
- 13 First time Golfing in Ireland
- 14 Vaporetti Schedules in Venice (and how passes work!?)
- 15 Where to stop on Italy's west coast
- 16 Italian Lakes gardens
- 17 Travelling with Alitalia. MIA-FCO-AOI Carry-on or Check-in baggage?
- 18 Dresden Train Station
- 19 Unique excursion/experience in Paris
- 20 Scandinavia Itinerary
- 21 London for Christmas
- 22 Amsterdam: Alcoholics Cleaning Streets to Get Free Booze!
- 23 November Solo Madness in Ireland 2013!
- 24 Waltz performances in Stadtpark Vienna
- 25 French café offers discounts to customers who remember their "Bonjour"