Hello, I will be travelling in Italy with my 8 month old baby and am wondering whether it is OK to breastfeed him in public, as I do in Canada. I have just read the posts on this topic from 2001 and am wondering if things have changed? At the time of the 2001 series of posts, a person living in Italy said absolutely not, and several others, presumably in North America, said it's OK if you cover up... they also seemed to say they would cover up at home too. These days, at least where I live, breastfeeding is strongly encouraged (to the point where there's terrible guilt if you don't) and I suppose it has become a bit political - it is not OK to ask a breastfeeding mom to be discreet or cover up. I'm not trying to be political about it myself, but I have become comfortable feeding my baby wherever and whenever he needs to be fed. I turn away while I get him settled but I don't use those cover-ups (too hot and hard to breathe in there) and I don't pump so that I can give him a bottle in public (pumping is really unpleasant and time consuming). I have said more than I need to here - just reacting to the posts from 2001. So back to the question: today, in 2012, is it OK to breastfeed my baby in Italy? Do I need to cover up and will people think I am being rude or that it's icky? Thanks!
Breastfeeding in Italy
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Calling Jamikins
- 2 Help wanted for choosing apartment/hotel in Istanbul (early May 2014)
- 3 A drive in Europe
- 4 Best French Onion Soup in Paris
- 5 Buying handbags and shoes in Italy, how much should I budget?
- 6 Eiffel Tower Replica - where to buy, or how to make?
- 7 Help with Barcelona Plans Please!
- 8 Southern Spain wth family in 1 week by car
- 9 How to get from Greenwich to Victoria Station
- 10 Nuremburg and Bamberg from Munich
- 11 Apartment in Rome - location opinions please
- 12 Europe in 21 days
- 13 Train ticket dilemma from Zurich to Milan
- 14 Phone for in-country calls in Greece
- 15 A little help with our Dordogne itinerary
- 16 Siena or Bologna day trip from Florence?
- 17 Munich to Lyon (10 nights) --- help needed with itinerary please
- 18 Berlin & Budapest for 8 days
- 19 UK for 12 days !
- 20 Spain in 18days -finalizing itinerary and a special bday celebration!
- 21 Budapest 4 nights - Top 10 must do
- 22 Edinburgh for 7 days for 60+
- 23 Germany driving itinerary starting questions
- 24 London hotel
- 25 Your Advice: Bosphorus Cruise. Ortakoy and Dolmabahce Palace