Hello, I will be travelling in Italy with my 8 month old baby and am wondering whether it is OK to breastfeed him in public, as I do in Canada. I have just read the posts on this topic from 2001 and am wondering if things have changed? At the time of the 2001 series of posts, a person living in Italy said absolutely not, and several others, presumably in North America, said it's OK if you cover up... they also seemed to say they would cover up at home too. These days, at least where I live, breastfeeding is strongly encouraged (to the point where there's terrible guilt if you don't) and I suppose it has become a bit political - it is not OK to ask a breastfeeding mom to be discreet or cover up. I'm not trying to be political about it myself, but I have become comfortable feeding my baby wherever and whenever he needs to be fed. I turn away while I get him settled but I don't use those cover-ups (too hot and hard to breathe in there) and I don't pump so that I can give him a bottle in public (pumping is really unpleasant and time consuming). I have said more than I need to here - just reacting to the posts from 2001. So back to the question: today, in 2012, is it OK to breastfeed my baby in Italy? Do I need to cover up and will people think I am being rude or that it's icky? Thanks!
Breastfeeding in Italy
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 London visit
- 2 A little help needed for Dordogne area
- 3 Tram 28 safe to travel with kids?
- 4 Three days in Spain
- 5 Useful website for France
- 6 1 week in Switzerland with 18 year old son
- 7 Monet in Normandy
- 8 Driving to Paris... Parking?
- 9 storing luggage for 10 days in Paris?
- 10 Italian cooking classes
- 11 Duoro Valley lodging for 3 in June
- 12 Amalfi coast in 4 days starting today, plz advise.
- 13 Croatia-Slovenia-Austria Itinerary Help!
- 14 Small group for Colosseum
- 15 Experience with car service "Paris Cab" and others that have carseats?
- 16 best time to book accommodation
- 17 Portugal with a 3 year old and 1 year old
- 18 Planning 17 days Italy - Switzerland - Germany
- 19 Our Silver Lining Tour: A German Journey & Queen's Day Too
- 20 SIM card for eastern europe
- 21 portugal trip 14 days - where to visit and stay
- 22 Water taxi reservations in Venice
- 23 London Tube strike scheduled for Apr 28 (2 days) and May 5 (3 days). Help!
- 24 Train from Barcelona to Madrid
- 25 Any experience with Cave Lodging in Loire Valley?