Hello, I will be travelling in Italy with my 8 month old baby and am wondering whether it is OK to breastfeed him in public, as I do in Canada. I have just read the posts on this topic from 2001 and am wondering if things have changed? At the time of the 2001 series of posts, a person living in Italy said absolutely not, and several others, presumably in North America, said it's OK if you cover up... they also seemed to say they would cover up at home too. These days, at least where I live, breastfeeding is strongly encouraged (to the point where there's terrible guilt if you don't) and I suppose it has become a bit political - it is not OK to ask a breastfeeding mom to be discreet or cover up. I'm not trying to be political about it myself, but I have become comfortable feeding my baby wherever and whenever he needs to be fed. I turn away while I get him settled but I don't use those cover-ups (too hot and hard to breathe in there) and I don't pump so that I can give him a bottle in public (pumping is really unpleasant and time consuming). I have said more than I need to here - just reacting to the posts from 2001. So back to the question: today, in 2012, is it OK to breastfeed my baby in Italy? Do I need to cover up and will people think I am being rude or that it's icky? Thanks!
Breastfeeding in Italy
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Amsterdam: arriving 8/25 to depart on 8/30 Rhine river cruise
- 2 Our Adventure to the Southeast of England and London
- 3 Frankfurt Airport: 2 hours from touchdown to train. Go for it???
- 4 How do you organize yourself on vacation?
- 5 May in southern Italy--Sorrento/Capri and Puglia
- 6 Venice - boats on canals
- 7 ITALY
- 8 Paris first then where?
- 9 Forma Urbis Fragments in Capitoline Museum?
- 10 Maitaitom & Tracy's Romantic 20th Anniversary Paris 2014 Trip In September
- 11 Recommendation for a wine tour departing from Strasbourg.
- 12 Which to fly into....Milan or Rome?
- 13 Looking for a month long vacation rental in France
- 14 Turkey 2015-Happy B-day to Me
- 15 Akrotiri Tours
- 16 Finalizing plans for September trip - is this doable
- 17 Americans travel to Russia. Is it safe?
- 18 Which area in Venice for 3 nights
- 19 Switzerland--how is rain impacting hiking in engadines? sils maria?
- 20 Regensburg or Cesky Krumlov for Two Nights
- 21 Mosel Valley Base - NOT Rhine Valley Base
- 22 Dresden: 6 nights too many?
- 23 Sorrento - 2.5 days itinerary help
- 24 Northern Spain
- 25 London hotel tax is 20%