I love reading the Fodor's forums, for all the wonderful advice, but also for all the inside tips which make a trip so memorable.
I am traveling to Italy for the first time in March, and would love to have your advice on books to read before I go and during my trip. We will be visiting Rome, Florence, Venice and Pompeii. I really enjoy interestingly written non-fiction and historical fiction. I know I've seen Ross King recommended as an author about Italy, but I was wondering if there were any other books that you would recommend.
I am also combining this trip with a visit to Cairo, so if you have recommendations for that too, they would be appreciated.
I look forward to the responses. And hopefully this thread will bring someone the other suggestions together into one thread for future readers.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Train Questions: Getting a Train to Bruges And One Random Question
- 2 Greek Islands - Which to use as our base?
- 3 Barcelona alternative
- 4 Sicily in feb? If not, where to from Israel?
- 5 Italy Car Scam
- 6 Great Value Vacations - NOT
- 7 Desperate! photo SD card says "not Formatted" is all lost!?
- 8 Itinerary for 5 adults, 3 kids, 2 weeks, & 1 holiday adventure!
- 9 Driving through Paris
- 10 FRANCE 10 YEARS ON: Paris Dordogne Albi Toulouse Arles S Rhone and Nice
- 11 Spanish Medical Providers
- 12 Road trip with our dog
- 13 Undiscovered Places in Paris
- 14 Train from Polgate to St Pancras
- 15 So Many Places, So Little Time-17 Day Euro Trip--HELP!
- 16 13 Nights Greece, first time, April 2018. HELP
- 17 Vacation apartment registration begins in Paris 1 Oct
- 18 Restaurant recs for French food in Montreux and surrounding area
- 19 Planes, Train, and, well, no automobiles
- 20 Stanbr and Lolly visit Eastern Crete
- 21 Looking for a 5 star resort on Spanish coast for January
- 22 Help with Portugal Itinerary Please
- 23 Restaurant recs for French food in Montreux and surrounding area
- 24 He Musta Saw Us a-Comin': A Brief, Cautionary Tale about Taxis in Rome
- 25 Suggestion for trip to Switzerland, Greece and Italy
Books you would recommend, in preparation for visiting Italy.