We are a family of 3 who are planning to go to Austria next summer for the first time. I have spent some time reading about the areas we want to visit and I have a couple questions that I hope some of you could help answer. We plan to base ourselves in Bad Ischl for 3 or 4 days and tour the surrounding areas such as Hallstatt & St Wolfgang etc (we don't plan to drive).
1) We will likely get to Bad Ischl from Salzburg by bus before noon. We plan to drop off the luggage first, grab a quick bite then start touring the area. I believe Bad Ischl is not that big of a town but would it be reasonable to say we will have enough to do for half the day in Bad Ischl?
2) Second day we plan to take a day trip to Hallstatt. Third day we want to go to St Wolfgang. How much time do you think an average traveler would spend in St Wolfgang? Would a day trip be a good one without feeling rushed? Would it be too ambitious to add St Gilgen on the same day with St Wolfgang?
We are trying to determine if we should spend 3 or 4 days there. If we spend 4 days in that area, we will have to cut Vienna one day short from 5 to 4 days. Any advice is much appreciated. Thank you!!!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Lyon
- 2 Self drive tour companies
- 3 Italian lakes
- 4 Train tickets, Swiss pass or eurail
- 5 Vatican Museums and Scavi Tour
- 6 2 WEEK EUROPE ITINERARY
- 7 What do after Bernia Express?
- 8 Upcoming trip to Penzance, Cornwall
- 9 Italian Honeymoon Advice
- 10 France, UK and Ireland
- 11 Driving Excursions/Day Trips outside of Edinburgh
- 12 French theater in Paris
- 13 Best place to view alps from Italy
- 14 Best way to learn a foreign language?
- 15 Major Ed van der Elsken show in Stedelijk Museum
- 16 Germany family road trip help!
- 17 New notes and coins and death dates for old ones
- 18 Road trip from Naples to Basilicata, Puglia and Bari
- 19 Barcelona
- 20 One more day in Athens, any suggestions?
- 21 14 days in Italy in late June with 6 adults + 6 little kids
- 22 Vacation near Lake Lugano and Lake Como
- 23 The Roads Less Traveled: Traversing France With Mai Tai Tom & Tracy
- 24 Love buying beauty products to take back home? Here are the ones to avoid!
- 25 Daytime flights - US East Coast to Paris?