We are a family of 3 who are planning to go to Austria next summer for the first time. I have spent some time reading about the areas we want to visit and I have a couple questions that I hope some of you could help answer. We plan to base ourselves in Bad Ischl for 3 or 4 days and tour the surrounding areas such as Hallstatt & St Wolfgang etc (we don't plan to drive).
1) We will likely get to Bad Ischl from Salzburg by bus before noon. We plan to drop off the luggage first, grab a quick bite then start touring the area. I believe Bad Ischl is not that big of a town but would it be reasonable to say we will have enough to do for half the day in Bad Ischl?
2) Second day we plan to take a day trip to Hallstatt. Third day we want to go to St Wolfgang. How much time do you think an average traveler would spend in St Wolfgang? Would a day trip be a good one without feeling rushed? Would it be too ambitious to add St Gilgen on the same day with St Wolfgang?
We are trying to determine if we should spend 3 or 4 days there. If we spend 4 days in that area, we will have to cut Vienna one day short from 5 to 4 days. Any advice is much appreciated. Thank you!!!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Another tipping question: concierges
- 2 Boston to Le Marche - which airport?
- 3 Barcelona - How much Gaudi?
- 4 Ideas for small group tour - Southern Spain
- 5 Spain in July
- 6 Urgent- Pleaseee HELP - Spain, Italy or France for Xmass and New years
- 7 Acropolis Athens
- 8 Madrid and Granada in Jan
- 9 Help!! 2 week Europe trip with 6 year old daughter in December!!
- 10 Scotland-Looking for itinerary advice for 9 day trip
- 11 Travel options from Budapest to Zagreb
- 12 Paris + Amsterdam: where to stay
- 13 The Mystic East - a tale of hot food, hot weather, airmiles and imodium.
- 14 Ferry - Dubrovnik to Bari - Cabins
- 15 Six Nights (and days) in the Marais
- 16 We're here!
- 17 5 days near Munich, Germany in late-May
- 18 Trip Ideas
- 19 Versailles tour with evening light show
- 20 Full day in Sintra..what to focus on
- 21 12 Day Central Europe Itinerary
- 22 Input on Itinerary for Visit to Bavaria and Austria Fall 2017
- 23 SOUTH OF FRANCE / ITALY ITINERARY SUGGESTIONS
- 24 Vienna, Austria for 5 days in early June
- 25 Malaga City Center Hotels