tlr - 8 days in Spain with a kid...GO!
Travelers: myself, husband, 3.75-year-old daughter, celebrating 10th wedding anniversary!
Dates: early July. And just realized that I thought we had 9 full days when in fact we really have 8. Sigh. Stupid AAdvantage Award availability.
Arriving early to BCN on Day 1.
Departing MADrid on Day 9 (noonish).
Ideally, we would change hotels no more than twice (for a total of 3 stays) to minimize the luggage-lugging with a preschooler.
Husband and I spent a couple of days seeing the highlights of Barcelona in 2009 but want to hit a few again to see how they've changed (Sagrada Familia) or to experience with our daughter (Parc Guell). Also, jet lag tends to hit my husband hard, so I'm thinking Day 1 will be a short day.
Next, I'd like to spend the bulk of our time in Andalusia. Ideally would love some sort of upscale B&B or hotel that has an really good restaurant or restaurants nearby. I also want to be able to do day trips from this base or just chill for an afternoon if we need a break from being on the go. I'm anticipating renting a car and car seat at this point to accomplish this but looking for advice on where to make our hub. So far, looking at a hotel outside of Ronda or the Barceló outside of Granada or something in Sevilla. A property with a pool would be nice since I don't think we'll make it to the coast (and we live in Florida anyway). My top towns on my list for day trips are Granada/Alahambra, Ronda, Sevilla, and Córdoba. Does that sound reasonable for 5ish days in the area (days 3-7)? If you had to cut something in favor of more time somewhere in particular, what would you do? Or would you try to stay IN one of these towns as your hub vs something outside the city?
As far as getting TO Andalusia, I'm looking for advice on that too. Does one of these options sound good:
A) day 2: PM train to Madrid, then Córdoba. Stay one night in Córdoba, sightsee in the morning of day 3 then train to Sevilla and/or car to our Andalusia base.
B) day 2: PM train to Madrid for the night then train on day 3 to Córdoba for a day trip (though where do we put our luggage?) and on to our base via Sevilla and/or car.
C) spend another night in Barcelona and take a morning train through Madrid to Sevilla and either skip Córdoba or hit it in the way back to Madrid.
After Andalusia, we'll mostly use day 8 to travel to Madrid and then fly out of MAD on day 9.
Looking at this, it feels like a lot. We are not really planning on doing museums this trip unless we get some bad weather or need some air conditioning (though that is a shame since I haven't seen any of them as an adult). This trip will be more about eating well and taking in the surroundings and enjoying each other in a place that is new to us and different from home. As a reference, one of our favorite places is the Cinque Terre...not a lot to "see" there, but just being there and exploring the little area without much of a schedule really fit our style. But we do like to have 1-2 "activities" planned most days that we don't have planned downtime.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 http://luxmuscle.com/muscle-boost-x-reviews/
- 2 Best Indian Food
- 3 Early Itinerary Munich to Croatia
- 4 Tips for a local Kingsday experience in Amsterdam?
- 5 Gorges de Verdon to Eze - where to stay along way?
- 6 SPB White Nights boat tours
- 7 Moving Around Amalfi without a car
- 8 Opinion on sights in Florence
- 9 From Genoa to Camgoli by Train
- 10 Piedmont as a destination
- 11 First Morning after arrival in Frankfurt
- 12 Specific phone service questions about Italy & Amsterdam
- 13 Roman Roamings: 2 Weeks of Wanderings
- 14 Need Information about French Alps
- 15 dinner jackets
- 16 France Itinerary Advice
- 17 Madrid to Northern Spain- 4 days/2 kids. Help w itinerary pls!
- 18 Croatia - Help on itinerary
- 19 Kroller-Muller - Paleis Het Loo - Maurithuis
- 20 3 days in Normandy (with an 8 year old)
- 21 The Dordogne & Loire Valley?
- 22 Thrift Stores in Paris
- 23 "Paris? Again?" And an odd pickpocketing
- 24 Barcelona, Bilboa, Cuena, Madrid
- 25 Help needed for our trip to Munich, Salzburg, Prague & Vienna
tlr - 8 days in Spain with a kid...GO!