Me and a buddy are going on a mini-travelling break at the start of September - we are talking 1 to 2 weeks to keep cost down (poor students) and to tie in with starting back at uni in London.
There's only one place we HAVE to go and that's Utrecht, Netherlands - mainly because I need to go visit a building there as part of my university course.
Obviously, this part of the trip could be completed within a day or 2, but from there we are after some advice from you lovely people as to the best way to spend our remaining time.
Firstly, in such a small time-frame is it worth trying to turn this into a cross-country inter-railing experience? Or should we lower our aspirations to sticking within / around the Netherlands?
Secondly, (with either option) what would you suggest as a potential itinerary for two young architecture enthusiasts / students? While we are keen to visit main architectural landmarks, we are equally interested in experiencing the lesser known places that hold cultural significance or show what a place is really like.
Finally, with a trip no longer than 2 weeks, is it even worth buying the Inter-rail train passes, or is it more cost effective to purchase the journeys individually / fly whenever feasible?
Thank you in advance and apologies for the fairly vague post. I'm sure you'll have just as many questions for me as I will have for you!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 England in a week - what's realistic
- 2 Restaurants and sights in Puglia
- 3 Avoid Viking River Cruises
- 4 Visiting St. Mark's Basilica in Venice
- 5 Ian McKellen & Patrick Stewart in No Man's Land
- 6 Enjoying England for a year!
- 7 Trip Report with Kids: Germany/Austria/Benelux
- 8 French Riviera
- 9 0ne day trip from Lisbon to Porto
- 10 Stonehenge and Bath
- 11 Decrepit dame does Deutschland
- 12 3 hours or so in Milano (quick stopover)
- 13 Greek Itinerary Help: 8 days Early November w/ 12-yr-old
- 14 Seeking apartment recommendations in a Chanti village
- 15 Tuscan Winery Suggestions
- 16 transfer from Civitavecchia to Fiumicino airport
- 17 Car necessary in Wengen, Switzerland
- 18 Amsterdam bike rides and maps
- 19 Barcelona extension
- 20 Venice, Maggiore, Jungfrau
- 21 Need some suggestions for Andalucia / Barcelona / Madrid starting Dec 25
- 22 My First Trip to Europe...
- 23 France 2016: Paris--Avignon--Provence--Nice
- 24 From Genoa to Rome...
- 25 French Gov't Passes New Labor Law Despite...