I am newly registered to the forum but have been following for about six months and am very grateful for all the helpful tips. I'm interested in hearing any tips for traveling with family and several children during peak tourist season (planned around kids' school schedules).
I will be visiting Paris for 8 days in late June - early July, with our family group of four adults, a six year old and a seventeen year old. We will stay in the 6th arr. at Hotel Clement, thanks to Fodors forum suggestions.
It is my sixth trip to Paris (and I've traveled extensively other places) but I haven't been since we had a child, and haven't visited at peak tourist time for over 25 years! It is my sister's family's first trip overseas. Two of us speak a bit of French. We all get along very well and the two kids are great and will love the city. The six year old adores art and goes to a lot of museums in our big urban area. But she's also a kid and loves to visit parks and play with other kids. The seventeen year old is interested in absorbing anything Parisian, and loves music, art, film, and writing. Both are pretty flexible.
We have our wish list of places we'd like to visit, (Rodin, Orsay, Orangerie, Louvre, Notre Dame, St. Chapelle, Cluny, Pompidou, Sacre Coeur, Versailles, Eiffel Tower), and have matched those plus some extra options up with the dates we'll be there and the days of the week things are open or closed. We'll mix that in with lots of city walks and exploring and realize we may not get to our whole wish list. But we'd welcome advice from others who have done a family trip in the summer as to how to best maximize our time to avoid the worst of the crowds at the most popular sights. And we're open to any ideas of fun things people have done with kids in Paris!
I plan to post a trip report when we get back, with reports on the kid and family perspective!
Thanks in advance for any tips.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 First time Germany Frankfurt to Munich 2 weeks
- 2 Tuscany Region - Rental Car or Public Transportation?
- 3 Switzerland itinerary help
- 4 Tipping for private van/bus driver in Ireland?
- 5 Departure Tax in UK
- 6 First time in Italy
- 7 12 days, which 4 cities?
- 8 Bologna or Bergamo?
- 9 Stu Dudley's Provence and French Riviera Itinerary
- 10 Scotland: Bluebells and Gorse, Castles and Stones, and NO Rain!
- 11 Bologna, Modena or Parma for a base?
- 12 Bank of America in Ireland?
- 13 Honeymoon hotel in Montreux/Vevey
- 14 Edinburgh to Bath - what is best option? train or plane
- 15 Sept. 2016. GTG...possibly 14th-17th
- 16 Austria
- 17 Norway Itinerary
- 18 Swiss Alps to Florence
- 19 Train Help
- 20 Dolomites October 14-18
- 21 Day in Dublin with Private Guide
- 22 Charles Degaulle question
- 23 Trains France/Switzerland
- 24 Elbe Bike Trip 2 with a nasty end
- 25 Cote d'Azur & Provence Itinerary - Stu Dudley's new/revised edition