Next month I'm going to Europe for the very first time. I'll be visiting Dusseldorf, Amsterdam, Paris, Florence, Rome, Naples, and Interlaken. I am of average height and I am 300lbs/136 kilos. I'm a woman who is pretty comfortable in my own skin, however I'm concerned that I may run into public & private space issues. Examples: Restaurant chairs/booths, bus/train aisles and seats, bathrooms, showers etc. Here in America, where being fat is more the norm, I don't run into these issues much. But I hear most European countries have smaller people; thus smaller accommodations.
Should I expect to be physically uncomfortable in many of these spaces? Turned away? Ridiculed? (not as much of an issue, but I'd still like to know.)
I'd really appreciate honest, non fat-shaming advice, tips and feedback.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Paris - Top Foodie Eats? Staying near Le Marais
- 2 Italy in January?
- 3 Dordogne for 6 full days in early September itinerary for comment!
- 4 Recommendations
- 5 PORTO (???) combine with Galicia??
- 6 Please help: Swiss Pass/Lucerne/Engadine?
- 7 Paris- restaurant
- 8 4 Days in Europe! Paris, Lisbon, or...?
- 9 Searching for a restaurant in Le Marais for Sunday lunch in August
- 10 Short Trip in Spain taggin along work trip
- 11 Milan/Venice/Florence in October?
- 12 4 nights in Provence, advice
- 13 Iceland car rental agencies
- 14 Day Trip to Capri: Advice Needed
- 15 Happy birthday ATM
- 16 15 day honeymoon trip in December
- 17 Scotland & UK: 2 weeks with Sheep & Cows
- 18 Car Service, CDG to Paris hotel.
- 19 Trip to Barcelona, london, Paris, and Amsterdam/Dublin
- 20 Sicily in 3 Weeks
- 21 Cortona -- just a passing thought
- 22 David's Abbreviated Iceland Trip Report
- 23 Trouble Getting from Tours to Orly
- 24 Madrid/Andalucia Trip
- 25 Can I visit Rotterdam on a 6h40 min layover in Schiphol?