I was planning a 10 day vacation and I wanted to ask the experts some questions. My partner and I want to visit half-timbered houses, a castle, the alps, and end in Venice.
We were planning on flying into either Paris, Frankfurt or Basel then taking the train to Colmar or Strasbourg.
We would stay 4 nights (3 full days) in Strasbourg or Colmar (not one of the Route de Vin villages as we will be without a car.)
We would then train to Interlaken and then base somewhere in the Lauterbrunnen Valley for 4 nights but would substitute with another location within the alps if it made logistical sense (3 fill days).
Lastly, we are considering a 7 hour train ride from Interlaken to Venice to stay for 4 nights (3 full days). We would then fly out of Venice.
If my math is correct that leaves us with 1 more day to allocate to either Alsace, Lauterbrunnen or Venice.
So a few questions...
- Where would you recommend we allocate this day to? (we could even extend this trip to 11 days)
- What base in Alsace would be best for our specific trip?
- Would you recommend doing this trip in reverse? (which location is better for jet lag)
- Munich is also an option as we could do many of our 'goals' of our trip with day trips, however I would prefer to not stay in a big city if that city does not contain half-timbered houses. Munich would make for an easier journey to venice, but we would not get a chance to spend as much time in the alps.
Thank you for your replies!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Paris to Orly Airport Public Transport
- 2 fake and real documents
- 3 12 Day Central Europe Itinerary
- 4 London: Flaming June and Pirates of Penzeance!
- 5 dining on the 25th in Dublin
- 6 Rare Curiosity-Piquing Photos From Rome + Thank You
- 7 Are St. Chapelle concerts just for tourists?
- 8 Urgent- Pleaseee HELP - Spain, Italy or France for Xmass and New years
- 9 Meteora for older folk
- 10 Versailles
- 11 Tours of Versailles, Lyon
- 12 From Portugal to the Pyrenees and onto Paris
- 13 SOUTH OF FRANCE / ITALY ITINERARY SUGGESTIONS
- 14 driving from prague to salzburg
- 15 Cote d'Azur--Having Second Thoughts...
- 16 Short Spain Trip - questions
- 17 Milan to Switzerland for skiing
- 18 Swiss Half Fare Card
- 19 Germany train help!
- 20 Gorges du Tarn, accommodation & Activity recommendations
- 21 4 Days in Amalfi in April - Without a car??
- 22 Brouhaha in Britain Over New 5 Pound Notes!
- 23 Sicily
- 24 Scotland-Looking for itinerary advice for 9 day trip
- 25 Swiss Trip Itineraryand Charges