I was planning a 10 day vacation and I wanted to ask the experts some questions. My partner and I want to visit half-timbered houses, a castle, the alps, and end in Venice.
We were planning on flying into either Paris, Frankfurt or Basel then taking the train to Colmar or Strasbourg.
We would stay 4 nights (3 full days) in Strasbourg or Colmar (not one of the Route de Vin villages as we will be without a car.)
We would then train to Interlaken and then base somewhere in the Lauterbrunnen Valley for 4 nights but would substitute with another location within the alps if it made logistical sense (3 fill days).
Lastly, we are considering a 7 hour train ride from Interlaken to Venice to stay for 4 nights (3 full days). We would then fly out of Venice.
If my math is correct that leaves us with 1 more day to allocate to either Alsace, Lauterbrunnen or Venice.
So a few questions...
- Where would you recommend we allocate this day to? (we could even extend this trip to 11 days)
- What base in Alsace would be best for our specific trip?
- Would you recommend doing this trip in reverse? (which location is better for jet lag)
- Munich is also an option as we could do many of our 'goals' of our trip with day trips, however I would prefer to not stay in a big city if that city does not contain half-timbered houses. Munich would make for an easier journey to venice, but we would not get a chance to spend as much time in the alps.
Thank you for your replies!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 23 day honeymoon to Greece
- 2 Where to go in Warsaw and Krakow?
- 3 12-14 nights enough ?
- 4 Updated Southern Croatia Trip (recommendations please)
- 5 Bring US appliances to Germany?
- 6 5 Days in Bernese Oberland
- 7 Western/Central Europe Itinerary help
- 8 Need help with my itinerary
- 9 Help me plan a 2 week trip to London and the Edinburgh Fringe Festival!
- 10 Ireland last minute recommendations
- 11 Transpennine Express-Ticket/No Seat Res
- 12 8ish days Zurich to Como...
- 13 For a Taste of Four Cultures on Two Contınents
- 14 France is losing the core of its historic provincial towns
- 15 Killarney
- 16 Switzerland 8 day itinerary in May
- 17 2 WEEK EUROPE ITINERARY
- 18 5 days northern spain, help us !
- 19 Salon de l’Agriculture in Paris: foods, cows, orchid and Swissman
- 20 Spending Money for a 30 day trip
- 21 Greek Islands - Should we rent a car on Mykonos and Santorini?
- 22 3 Month Europe Itineray -- please critique
- 23 Prague and Budapest
- 24 Am i too dark to visit russia? Picture
- 25 Berlin, Germany