I was planning a 10 day vacation and I wanted to ask the experts some questions. My partner and I want to visit half-timbered houses, a castle, the alps, and end in Venice.
We were planning on flying into either Paris, Frankfurt or Basel then taking the train to Colmar or Strasbourg.
We would stay 4 nights (3 full days) in Strasbourg or Colmar (not one of the Route de Vin villages as we will be without a car.)
We would then train to Interlaken and then base somewhere in the Lauterbrunnen Valley for 4 nights but would substitute with another location within the alps if it made logistical sense (3 fill days).
Lastly, we are considering a 7 hour train ride from Interlaken to Venice to stay for 4 nights (3 full days). We would then fly out of Venice.
If my math is correct that leaves us with 1 more day to allocate to either Alsace, Lauterbrunnen or Venice.
So a few questions...
- Where would you recommend we allocate this day to? (we could even extend this trip to 11 days)
- What base in Alsace would be best for our specific trip?
- Would you recommend doing this trip in reverse? (which location is better for jet lag)
- Munich is also an option as we could do many of our 'goals' of our trip with day trips, however I would prefer to not stay in a big city if that city does not contain half-timbered houses. Munich would make for an easier journey to venice, but we would not get a chance to spend as much time in the alps.
Thank you for your replies!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Barcelona alternative
- 2 FRANCE 10 YEARS ON: Paris Dordogne Albi Toulouse Arles S Rhone and Nice
- 3 He Musta Saw Us a-Comin': A Brief, Cautionary Tale about Taxis in Rome
- 4 13 Nights Greece, first time, April 2018. HELP
- 5 Apple Pay on London Transit
- 6 Iceland early december visit
- 7 Frankfurt to UK
- 8 Christmas Markets France/Germany
- 9 God Save the Queen?
- 10 Road trip with our dog
- 11 Milan or Turin
- 12 Requesting feedback on proposed itinerary—London, Cornwall, and Wales, June 2018
- 13 Train from Polgate to St Pancras
- 14 Ger’s Italian Trip Report: Padua, Ferrara, Siena, Perugia and Florence
- 15 Pompei, Naples and...Sorrento?
- 16 9 Days in Spain
- 17 Paris to Italy
- 18 Itinerary for 5 adults, 3 kids, 2 weeks, & 1 holiday adventure!
- 19 Charming movie to watch if you've visited Erice in Sicily
- 20 Visiting Plitivce National Park
- 21 Mantova, Ravenna, Brisighella, Bologna
- 22 Spanish Medical Providers
- 23 Italy Car Scam
- 24 London flat rental: the more I research, the more frustrating it becomes
- 25 Undiscovered Places in Paris