I was planning a 10 day vacation and I wanted to ask the experts some questions. My partner and I want to visit half-timbered houses, a castle, the alps, and end in Venice.
We were planning on flying into either Paris, Frankfurt or Basel then taking the train to Colmar or Strasbourg.
We would stay 4 nights (3 full days) in Strasbourg or Colmar (not one of the Route de Vin villages as we will be without a car.)
We would then train to Interlaken and then base somewhere in the Lauterbrunnen Valley for 4 nights but would substitute with another location within the alps if it made logistical sense (3 fill days).
Lastly, we are considering a 7 hour train ride from Interlaken to Venice to stay for 4 nights (3 full days). We would then fly out of Venice.
If my math is correct that leaves us with 1 more day to allocate to either Alsace, Lauterbrunnen or Venice.
So a few questions...
- Where would you recommend we allocate this day to? (we could even extend this trip to 11 days)
- What base in Alsace would be best for our specific trip?
- Would you recommend doing this trip in reverse? (which location is better for jet lag)
- Munich is also an option as we could do many of our 'goals' of our trip with day trips, however I would prefer to not stay in a big city if that city does not contain half-timbered houses. Munich would make for an easier journey to venice, but we would not get a chance to spend as much time in the alps.
Thank you for your replies!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 16 Days in Scotland in May with Our Two Boys
- 2 NO Luggage Storage at Padua train station?
- 3 Sim card/Amsterdam
- 4 Roman Roamings: 2 Weeks of Wanderings
- 5 Booking trains in Europe (Venice to Chur)
- 6 What's the biggest mistake you made on a European trip?
- 7 Things to do in Brussels
- 8 Looking for Italy Itinerary Advice (8N)
- 9 Madrid airport question
- 10 Bringing wine home from Italy?
- 11 Overnight in Montpellier?
- 12 San Francisco retirees would like to move to Paris for a year- crazy idea?
- 13 Rome neighborhoods equivalent to arrondissements 6 and 7 in Paris?
- 14 Planning a solo trip mostly to France, advice please!
- 15 Houses, Gardens & Walking in England
- 16 English Gardens Itinerary Advice please
- 17 Itinerary review from a overplanner
- 18 Italy Honeymoon in September
- 19 Advice on Sicily & Aeolian Islands
- 20 Train in Switzerland from Basel to Zermatt to Zurich
- 21 38 Days in Paris
- 22 Naxos car rental
- 23 Greek Islands (small)
- 24 Fes to Southern Spain (Jerez, Malaga)
- 25 Domestic Connection Times at Athens Airport?