I was planning a 10 day vacation and I wanted to ask the experts some questions. My partner and I want to visit half-timbered houses, a castle, the alps, and end in Venice.
We were planning on flying into either Paris, Frankfurt or Basel then taking the train to Colmar or Strasbourg.
We would stay 4 nights (3 full days) in Strasbourg or Colmar (not one of the Route de Vin villages as we will be without a car.)
We would then train to Interlaken and then base somewhere in the Lauterbrunnen Valley for 4 nights but would substitute with another location within the alps if it made logistical sense (3 fill days).
Lastly, we are considering a 7 hour train ride from Interlaken to Venice to stay for 4 nights (3 full days). We would then fly out of Venice.
If my math is correct that leaves us with 1 more day to allocate to either Alsace, Lauterbrunnen or Venice.
So a few questions...
- Where would you recommend we allocate this day to? (we could even extend this trip to 11 days)
- What base in Alsace would be best for our specific trip?
- Would you recommend doing this trip in reverse? (which location is better for jet lag)
- Munich is also an option as we could do many of our 'goals' of our trip with day trips, however I would prefer to not stay in a big city if that city does not contain half-timbered houses. Munich would make for an easier journey to venice, but we would not get a chance to spend as much time in the alps.
Thank you for your replies!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Dell@ printer ErrOrs CONTACT ☎ 1:800:681:7208 Tec*h CAre 24/7
- 2 Iceland france spain
- 3 Ex-pats with young kids
- 4 Maximizing Norway time
- 5 Greece
- 6 Cortona -- just a passing thought
- 7 southeast sicily town as home base
- 8 This Pirate goes to Penzance, and then on to the land of Fire and Ice
- 9 Single Parent with Tweens London/Paris
- 10 8 days vacation to Switzerland & Austria
- 11 The Alhambra Private Tour Guide
- 12 RS view on booking.com & the like
- 13 Hiking the Cinque Terre Trails?
- 14 London with Teens Trip Report
- 15 Please help with Carry-on Question--CDG!
- 16 Top Tapas Tascas
- 17 Fly out Venice or Rome
- 18 Trip Report: Italy with the bambinos!
- 19 David's Abbreviated Iceland Trip Report
- 20 Iceland car rental agencies
- 21 Ludwig Castles
- 22 Best Viking Sites
- 23 Day trips from Seville -Granada, Cadiz&Jerez or white villages
- 24 Schlipol Airport/Amsterdam/question
- 25 Capri is for vacationing, la Dordogne is for living