I was planning a 10 day vacation and I wanted to ask the experts some questions. My partner and I want to visit half-timbered houses, a castle, the alps, and end in Venice.
We were planning on flying into either Paris, Frankfurt or Basel then taking the train to Colmar or Strasbourg.
We would stay 4 nights (3 full days) in Strasbourg or Colmar (not one of the Route de Vin villages as we will be without a car.)
We would then train to Interlaken and then base somewhere in the Lauterbrunnen Valley for 4 nights but would substitute with another location within the alps if it made logistical sense (3 fill days).
Lastly, we are considering a 7 hour train ride from Interlaken to Venice to stay for 4 nights (3 full days). We would then fly out of Venice.
If my math is correct that leaves us with 1 more day to allocate to either Alsace, Lauterbrunnen or Venice.
So a few questions...
- Where would you recommend we allocate this day to? (we could even extend this trip to 11 days)
- What base in Alsace would be best for our specific trip?
- Would you recommend doing this trip in reverse? (which location is better for jet lag)
- Munich is also an option as we could do many of our 'goals' of our trip with day trips, however I would prefer to not stay in a big city if that city does not contain half-timbered houses. Munich would make for an easier journey to venice, but we would not get a chance to spend as much time in the alps.
Thank you for your replies!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Lisbon trip report
- 2 8 Days in Rome in March 2017 - planning thread
- 3 Naples, Italy
- 4 Tour of Northern Italy
- 5 Apartment & Location Recommendation in Paris
- 6 So much to do, so little time!
- 7 San Sebastian
- 8 Europe in January - Is It Worth It?
- 9 Driving in Italy?
- 10 American Tourister luggage- good or bad?
- 11 Train or car rental: Venice to Pisa
- 12 First time in Europe for 10 days! Help!
- 13 French restaurants
- 14 driving the coastline of Croatia
- 15 The mouse munches her way through far off lands: The Christams Edition
- 16 Paris getaway with my daughter hotel ideas
- 17 Paris to Barcelona and Lourdes by train/car
- 18 Portugal--Lisbon, Douro, Porto
- 19 St Remy to Nice in Three Days?
- 20 Andalusia March 2 - March 11 Barcelona to Lisbon
- 21 Europe's Most Iconic Sights...???????
- 22 Itinerary Help - One week between Sicily and Rome
- 23 Shoes in Scotland
- 24 Engadine Valley help
- 25 Notes on Venice, Bassano del Grappa, Garda, Cremona & Milan (Sept 2016)