My husband and I have just booked our airfare for a trip to Basque Country this August. We will be flying in and out of Bilbao (from NY by way of Brussels--it was the cheapest option by far!). We arrive on a Wednesday early afternoon and depart the following Friday very early morning.
I know we want to spend time in Bilbao and San Sebastian. I also know we'd love to explore the coast (I've heard great things about Lekeito) and wine country. I'm trying to figure out how to plan our time most efficiently. I'm thinking it would make sense to end our trip in Bilbao since we have a 6:50 AM flight on Friday. How many days should we allocate to Bilbao?
Also, I'm wondering if it makes most sense to split the time evenly between San Sebastian and Bilbao and explore the rest of the area via day trips. I know that parking is expensive in the cities though, so maybe a better plan is to spend a few days in San Sebastian and Bilbao and stay in a third area for a few days, which could serve as a base for day trips. What are your thoughts/recommendations?
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Venice > Garda > Verona > Bologna thoughts
- 2 question on Barcelona itinerary
- 3 Lay over time
- 4 Short stay London with Aussie kids or not?
- 5 Driving from Munich to Barcelona
- 6 Climbing Ben Nevis in June
- 7 Greek Islands (small)
- 8 Reputable Apartment Company in Granada
- 9 Train in Switzerland from Basel to Zermatt to Zurich
- 10 Fes to Southern Spain (Jerez, Malaga)
- 11 Rome neighborhoods equivalent to arrondissements 6 and 7 in Paris?
- 12 Sundays in Puglia
- 13 K-Day
- 14 lurento sports car rental - anyone?
- 15 Spain in December
- 16 Italy Honeymoon in September
- 17 Advice for 5 Weeks in the Nordic Countries
- 18 Places to cover in Switzerland in 8-9 days & then 5-6 days in Austria
- 19 Day trips: which ones are must-do?
- 20 Help needed/wanted to central/east Europe
- 21 Provence best farmstays!!??
- 22 Visiting London 05/02 - 05/20 (US dates)
- 23 What's the biggest mistake you made on a European trip?
- 24 Itinerary review from a overplanner
- 25 Transferring from LCY to LHR . PLEASE HELP