My husband and I have just booked our airfare for a trip to Basque Country this August. We will be flying in and out of Bilbao (from NY by way of Brussels--it was the cheapest option by far!). We arrive on a Wednesday early afternoon and depart the following Friday very early morning.
I know we want to spend time in Bilbao and San Sebastian. I also know we'd love to explore the coast (I've heard great things about Lekeito) and wine country. I'm trying to figure out how to plan our time most efficiently. I'm thinking it would make sense to end our trip in Bilbao since we have a 6:50 AM flight on Friday. How many days should we allocate to Bilbao?
Also, I'm wondering if it makes most sense to split the time evenly between San Sebastian and Bilbao and explore the rest of the area via day trips. I know that parking is expensive in the cities though, so maybe a better plan is to spend a few days in San Sebastian and Bilbao and stay in a third area for a few days, which could serve as a base for day trips. What are your thoughts/recommendations?
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Christmas Markets France/Germany
- 2 Requesting feedback on proposed itinerary—London, Cornwall, and Wales, June 2018
- 3 Spanish Medical Providers
- 4 Help with Portugal Itinerary Please
- 5 Barcelona alternative
- 6 Paris to Italy
- 7 Greece - when is the best time to go for warm but not too crowded?
- 8 Driving through Paris
- 9 Rome or Lisbon during end of November? Please help me pick
- 10 May Day 2018 in Slovenia
- 11 Train from Polgate to St Pancras
- 12 Planes, Train, and, well, no automobiles
- 13 Vacation apartment registration begins in Paris 1 Oct
- 14 He Musta Saw Us a-Comin': A Brief, Cautionary Tale about Taxis in Rome
- 15 Itinerary for 5 adults, 3 kids, 2 weeks, & 1 holiday adventure!
- 16 9 Days in Spain
- 17 Road trip with our dog
- 18 Frankfurt to UK
- 19 Stanbr and Lolly visit Eastern Crete
- 20 One last lunch in Rome - recommendations near Vatican City please
- 21 Paris Neighborhood Help
- 22 Great Value Vacations - NOT
- 23 Electrical Power Conversion
- 24 Douro Valley in January?
- 25 Greek Islands - Which to use as our base?