I'm leaving on August 31 for two weeks in Portugal and have a general idea of where I am going, but I am in the fine-tuning stage of my itinerary (specifically, the non-Lisbon and non-Porto parts) and need some help!
I've read various guidebooks, looked at online forums, etc., and I'm sort of overwhelmed at this point--too much info, combined with having a busy life! My main point of stress is not knowing how long to stay at a given spot and which spots to spend the night.
I'm not going to the Algarve on this trip.
I'm on public transit.
Here's my tentative plan; as I said, my point of panic is fine-tuning the timeline.
9/1: Lisbon, tour around town via walking and tram, fado at night with hostel folks
9/2: Day trip to Sintra and Cabo da Roca (Monday, so it's the best day to go because a lot of other stuff is closed on Mondays)
9/3: Lisbon, Belem
9/4: Lisbon (morning to wrap up sightseeing); afternoon/evening train to Evora; overnight Evora.
9/6: Evora to Obidos (public transit issues?); overnight Obidos (everyone says it's better once the day-trippers leave)
9/7: Obidos to Nazare; stay Nazare
9/8: Nazare; visit Alcobaca and Batalha (or just Alcobaca)
9/9: Nazare to Coimbra; overnight Coimbra
9/10: Coimbra to Aveiro; a couple hours bicycling around Aveiro; Aveiro to Porto; overnight Porto.
9/11 to 9/14: meeting up with a group in Porto to do a Porto/Douro Valley wine tour; everything already arranged.
9/14 pm: train back to Lisbon
9/15: fly home
Any advice regarding my timeline (specifically, the 9/4 through 9/10 portion) would be much appreciated! Please excuse my lack of accents and possible misspellings; I'm doing this off the top of my head.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 hiking itinerary UK two months
- 2 Accommodation referrals Trieste, Gorizia and Cormons
- 3 Help me plan a 2 week trip to London and the Edinburgh Fringe Festival!
- 4 Vacation
- 5 Walking itinerary in England?
- 6 Italy, beyond the most common Tourist Destinations
- 7 Menaggio/Varenna to St Moritz and back
- 8 Dog friendly hotels
- 9 Best place in Italy for a tourist during Easter
- 10 Lamezia Terme, Italy
- 11 Cambridge in May
- 12 Dinner get-together in Paris?
- 13 The Roads Less Traveled: Traversing France With Mai Tai Tom & Tracy
- 14 Love buying beauty products to take back home? Here are the ones to avoid!
- 15 No Periods in British Written English!
- 16 Self drive tour companies
- 17 Not Gone From Memory Or From Love — The Western Front Revisited
- 18 Madrid/Lisbon
- 19 itinerary help: 18 days in Wales/Scotland
- 20 3 Month Europe Itineray -- please critique
- 21 Day trip from Vienna (Prague, Budapest, Britislava, Salzburg)
- 22 Day trips around Vienna
- 23 Greek fuel cost
- 24 Train tickets, Swiss pass or eurail
- 25 Killarney