I'm leaving on August 31 for two weeks in Portugal and have a general idea of where I am going, but I am in the fine-tuning stage of my itinerary (specifically, the non-Lisbon and non-Porto parts) and need some help!
I've read various guidebooks, looked at online forums, etc., and I'm sort of overwhelmed at this point--too much info, combined with having a busy life! My main point of stress is not knowing how long to stay at a given spot and which spots to spend the night.
I'm not going to the Algarve on this trip.
I'm on public transit.
Here's my tentative plan; as I said, my point of panic is fine-tuning the timeline.
9/1: Lisbon, tour around town via walking and tram, fado at night with hostel folks
9/2: Day trip to Sintra and Cabo da Roca (Monday, so it's the best day to go because a lot of other stuff is closed on Mondays)
9/3: Lisbon, Belem
9/4: Lisbon (morning to wrap up sightseeing); afternoon/evening train to Evora; overnight Evora.
9/6: Evora to Obidos (public transit issues?); overnight Obidos (everyone says it's better once the day-trippers leave)
9/7: Obidos to Nazare; stay Nazare
9/8: Nazare; visit Alcobaca and Batalha (or just Alcobaca)
9/9: Nazare to Coimbra; overnight Coimbra
9/10: Coimbra to Aveiro; a couple hours bicycling around Aveiro; Aveiro to Porto; overnight Porto.
9/11 to 9/14: meeting up with a group in Porto to do a Porto/Douro Valley wine tour; everything already arranged.
9/14 pm: train back to Lisbon
9/15: fly home
Any advice regarding my timeline (specifically, the 9/4 through 9/10 portion) would be much appreciated! Please excuse my lack of accents and possible misspellings; I'm doing this off the top of my head.
2 weeks in Portugal--help!
- 1 Best option for Dollars to Euros for apartment payment"
- 2 4 Women Exploring London Dec 19-23
- 3 Stories from London, France, Italy & more - Trip Report
- 4 France, Spain, Italy and a hint of Switzerland
- 5 Picturesque Towns in Europe: Your Favorite?
- 6 2 Week(ish) Italian Honeymoon Itinerary Help - First Time Europe Travelers
- 7 Family European winter holiday
- 8 15 days in Europe,
- 9 2 weeks in UK to visit my daughter at Queen Mary Univ Dec 15-28 2013
- 10 Castles, Palaces and Caves-9 Days in Puglia and Basilicata
- 11 London for Christmas
- 12 Euro Train
- 13 a week in Ireland over New year's
- 14 Need PIN for general credit card use in Spain Portugal
- 15 Venice passes....confusing as heck!
- 16 Advice on relocating to Italy?
- 17 To Paris and Provence in June
- 18 Ira Has Been Kidnapped
- 19 Travel by train or bus
- 20 Planning a holiday
- 21 Buying a house in the Languedoc - the hunt begins
- 22 Costa del Sol (Spain) versus Cote d Azur (France) ??
- 23 Day Trips from Florence: Tours or On Our Own???
- 24 Scandinavia Itinerary
- 25 Location and Lodging in Amsterdam