I'm leaving on August 31 for two weeks in Portugal and have a general idea of where I am going, but I am in the fine-tuning stage of my itinerary (specifically, the non-Lisbon and non-Porto parts) and need some help!
I've read various guidebooks, looked at online forums, etc., and I'm sort of overwhelmed at this point--too much info, combined with having a busy life! My main point of stress is not knowing how long to stay at a given spot and which spots to spend the night.
I'm not going to the Algarve on this trip.
I'm on public transit.
Here's my tentative plan; as I said, my point of panic is fine-tuning the timeline.
9/1: Lisbon, tour around town via walking and tram, fado at night with hostel folks
9/2: Day trip to Sintra and Cabo da Roca (Monday, so it's the best day to go because a lot of other stuff is closed on Mondays)
9/3: Lisbon, Belem
9/4: Lisbon (morning to wrap up sightseeing); afternoon/evening train to Evora; overnight Evora.
9/6: Evora to Obidos (public transit issues?); overnight Obidos (everyone says it's better once the day-trippers leave)
9/7: Obidos to Nazare; stay Nazare
9/8: Nazare; visit Alcobaca and Batalha (or just Alcobaca)
9/9: Nazare to Coimbra; overnight Coimbra
9/10: Coimbra to Aveiro; a couple hours bicycling around Aveiro; Aveiro to Porto; overnight Porto.
9/11 to 9/14: meeting up with a group in Porto to do a Porto/Douro Valley wine tour; everything already arranged.
9/14 pm: train back to Lisbon
9/15: fly home
Any advice regarding my timeline (specifically, the 9/4 through 9/10 portion) would be much appreciated! Please excuse my lack of accents and possible misspellings; I'm doing this off the top of my head.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 How to get to Giverny from Paris
- 2 Rome Airport Question!
- 3 Portugal Walking Tour
- 4 Dressing for Volksoper Opera
- 5 Were you in Europe in August? How crowded WAS it?
- 6 Hair Straightener
- 7 ATM Exchange Rate in Italy
- 8 Thanksgiving Trip from Land
- 9 Alternative to Florence for one night
- 10 Greenland from the Air trip report, photo gallery
- 11 I forgot my international driver permit
- 12 Authentic fishing villages Amalfi or Pugia
- 13 If you can travel anywhere, Where would you travel?
- 14 Milan / Venice / Tuscany/ Barcelona
- 15 A Wonderful "What to See Along the Route" Request: Scotland
- 16 Orange or other Spain SIM card available in Barcelona Airport?
- 17 Prague old town
- 18 Madrid/Camino Hike/Madrid + 5 nights?
- 19 Ordering in a Deli
- 20 Trip report part 2 Naxos
- 21 Seeking suggestions: Bavaria, Austria, Prague Trip in Fall
- 22 20 free days of Europe
- 23 Northern Italy in mid-October
- 24 Thello EN220: Milano to Paris question
- 25 International Friends Tour