I'm leaving on August 31 for two weeks in Portugal and have a general idea of where I am going, but I am in the fine-tuning stage of my itinerary (specifically, the non-Lisbon and non-Porto parts) and need some help!
I've read various guidebooks, looked at online forums, etc., and I'm sort of overwhelmed at this point--too much info, combined with having a busy life! My main point of stress is not knowing how long to stay at a given spot and which spots to spend the night.
I'm not going to the Algarve on this trip.
I'm on public transit.
Here's my tentative plan; as I said, my point of panic is fine-tuning the timeline.
9/1: Lisbon, tour around town via walking and tram, fado at night with hostel folks
9/2: Day trip to Sintra and Cabo da Roca (Monday, so it's the best day to go because a lot of other stuff is closed on Mondays)
9/3: Lisbon, Belem
9/4: Lisbon (morning to wrap up sightseeing); afternoon/evening train to Evora; overnight Evora.
9/6: Evora to Obidos (public transit issues?); overnight Obidos (everyone says it's better once the day-trippers leave)
9/7: Obidos to Nazare; stay Nazare
9/8: Nazare; visit Alcobaca and Batalha (or just Alcobaca)
9/9: Nazare to Coimbra; overnight Coimbra
9/10: Coimbra to Aveiro; a couple hours bicycling around Aveiro; Aveiro to Porto; overnight Porto.
9/11 to 9/14: meeting up with a group in Porto to do a Porto/Douro Valley wine tour; everything already arranged.
9/14 pm: train back to Lisbon
9/15: fly home
Any advice regarding my timeline (specifically, the 9/4 through 9/10 portion) would be much appreciated! Please excuse my lack of accents and possible misspellings; I'm doing this off the top of my head.
2 weeks in Portugal--help!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Shipping bags home
- 2 Narrowing down our itinerary...Paris-Venice-Rome
- 3 Weekend Driving in Rome
- 4 small group tours of turkey and greece
- 5 Italy in late June - 10 days. Should we do Rome, Florence AND Venice?
- 6 Bavarian Accommodations - Need Your Assistance
- 7 Paris to Bordeaux TGV
- 8 Taking a 5 day trip to Europe
- 9 England, Paris itinerary help
- 10 Swiss Pass or Eurail Pass worth it for multi-country trip?
- 11 Itinerary for July trip to France, Germany and Italy
- 12 Family of 4 traveling 10 months
- 13 Accommodations in Paris
- 14 Ideas for 4 days between Venice and Florence
- 15 Early May...Lisbon to Barcelona or Barcelona to Lisbon? Weather....
- 16 South of Spain in late September - cities/areas?
- 17 Honeymooning in Croatia - 2 weeks in August
- 18 Does anyone travel with trip notes on an ipad? Tech help please!
- 19 Provence planning
- 20 Germany for 3 weeks
- 21 A week in Wengen hiking the Bernese Oberland
- 22 Dublin Layover Suggestions
- 23 Looking for some advice for an April Itenerary!
- 24 Transportation directly from Malpensa to place other than Milan
- 25 Revised Itinerary with 2 kids