I'm leaving on August 31 for two weeks in Portugal and have a general idea of where I am going, but I am in the fine-tuning stage of my itinerary (specifically, the non-Lisbon and non-Porto parts) and need some help!
I've read various guidebooks, looked at online forums, etc., and I'm sort of overwhelmed at this point--too much info, combined with having a busy life! My main point of stress is not knowing how long to stay at a given spot and which spots to spend the night.
I'm not going to the Algarve on this trip.
I'm on public transit.
Here's my tentative plan; as I said, my point of panic is fine-tuning the timeline.
9/1: Lisbon, tour around town via walking and tram, fado at night with hostel folks
9/2: Day trip to Sintra and Cabo da Roca (Monday, so it's the best day to go because a lot of other stuff is closed on Mondays)
9/3: Lisbon, Belem
9/4: Lisbon (morning to wrap up sightseeing); afternoon/evening train to Evora; overnight Evora.
9/6: Evora to Obidos (public transit issues?); overnight Obidos (everyone says it's better once the day-trippers leave)
9/7: Obidos to Nazare; stay Nazare
9/8: Nazare; visit Alcobaca and Batalha (or just Alcobaca)
9/9: Nazare to Coimbra; overnight Coimbra
9/10: Coimbra to Aveiro; a couple hours bicycling around Aveiro; Aveiro to Porto; overnight Porto.
9/11 to 9/14: meeting up with a group in Porto to do a Porto/Douro Valley wine tour; everything already arranged.
9/14 pm: train back to Lisbon
9/15: fly home
Any advice regarding my timeline (specifically, the 9/4 through 9/10 portion) would be much appreciated! Please excuse my lack of accents and possible misspellings; I'm doing this off the top of my head.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Help! Trains to Brugge from Brussels
- 2 The Hague
- 3 Cars in France
- 4 EU Citizenship & the Schengen Visa
- 5 Weekend in Paris in October
- 6 ID check request from a hotel????
- 7 Mont St Michel hotels
- 8 Driving to Larrun (La Rhune) Spain
- 9 which michelin maps needed?
- 10 Spain accomodation
- 11 Postcards from Retirement-The Scotland Edition
- 12 Need Help Planning a 19 day visit to Ireland
- 13 London, England, alone or with a tour group?
- 14 Texting in France
- 15 Reims Champagne Houses
- 16 London: Xmas Break Trip - One Week Itinerary
- 17 Madrid - how to schedule train from airport
- 18 All French taxis now obliged to accept cards
- 19 14 Days in Portugal - Help with Itinerary
- 20 Your favorite Paris shopping street.
- 21 Cost comparison b/w Paris and Switzerland(wengen)
- 22 One Step at a Time - julia_t begins the Camino de Santiago
- 23 Paris accomodation
- 24 Provence, Paris & London in April - 15 day trip
- 25 Eiffel Tower Tickets - UGH!