I'm leaving on August 31 for two weeks in Portugal and have a general idea of where I am going, but I am in the fine-tuning stage of my itinerary (specifically, the non-Lisbon and non-Porto parts) and need some help!
I've read various guidebooks, looked at online forums, etc., and I'm sort of overwhelmed at this point--too much info, combined with having a busy life! My main point of stress is not knowing how long to stay at a given spot and which spots to spend the night.
I'm not going to the Algarve on this trip.
I'm on public transit.
Here's my tentative plan; as I said, my point of panic is fine-tuning the timeline.
9/1: Lisbon, tour around town via walking and tram, fado at night with hostel folks
9/2: Day trip to Sintra and Cabo da Roca (Monday, so it's the best day to go because a lot of other stuff is closed on Mondays)
9/3: Lisbon, Belem
9/4: Lisbon (morning to wrap up sightseeing); afternoon/evening train to Evora; overnight Evora.
9/6: Evora to Obidos (public transit issues?); overnight Obidos (everyone says it's better once the day-trippers leave)
9/7: Obidos to Nazare; stay Nazare
9/8: Nazare; visit Alcobaca and Batalha (or just Alcobaca)
9/9: Nazare to Coimbra; overnight Coimbra
9/10: Coimbra to Aveiro; a couple hours bicycling around Aveiro; Aveiro to Porto; overnight Porto.
9/11 to 9/14: meeting up with a group in Porto to do a Porto/Douro Valley wine tour; everything already arranged.
9/14 pm: train back to Lisbon
9/15: fly home
Any advice regarding my timeline (specifically, the 9/4 through 9/10 portion) would be much appreciated! Please excuse my lack of accents and possible misspellings; I'm doing this off the top of my head.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 First-time Trip to Ireland! Seeking helpful advice...
- 2 Paris Vacation Rentals in 2015
- 3 Trip to Paris and Switzerland.
- 4 Four days in London! What are some must-see sights?
- 5 My summer in Paris
- 6 MaiTaiTom's "Insane For Spain" - 2015
- 7 Paris tipping hotel maids
- 8 A great read for anyone visiting the UK.
- 9 I have 10 days to spend in Italy! Advice needed!
- 10 Three day trips from Amsterdam
- 11 Corsica and Sardinia
- 12 Milan, Venice, Bellagio, Piedmont wine country, a day in the Cinque Terre
- 13 Trip Report: Bellagio, Milan, Venice, Cinque Terre and Piedmont
- 14 Weekly Markets Lake District and Dales
- 15 Booking flights! Best timing for kids?
- 16 Comments, please about these Rome apartments
- 17 Day trips from Cologne
- 18 Day Trip From London
- 19 two weeks trip to Switzerland and French Rivwra
- 20 Pompei Excursion from Sorrento? What do you think of this estimate?
- 21 Montpellier - A few questions
- 22 Italian trains on Sunday
- 23 RTVE article on Spain ATM fees
- 24 Yay or Nay to these "front of the line" Vatican tours?
- 25 Euro railways