I'm leaving on August 31 for two weeks in Portugal and have a general idea of where I am going, but I am in the fine-tuning stage of my itinerary (specifically, the non-Lisbon and non-Porto parts) and need some help!
I've read various guidebooks, looked at online forums, etc., and I'm sort of overwhelmed at this point--too much info, combined with having a busy life! My main point of stress is not knowing how long to stay at a given spot and which spots to spend the night.
I'm not going to the Algarve on this trip.
I'm on public transit.
Here's my tentative plan; as I said, my point of panic is fine-tuning the timeline.
9/1: Lisbon, tour around town via walking and tram, fado at night with hostel folks
9/2: Day trip to Sintra and Cabo da Roca (Monday, so it's the best day to go because a lot of other stuff is closed on Mondays)
9/3: Lisbon, Belem
9/4: Lisbon (morning to wrap up sightseeing); afternoon/evening train to Evora; overnight Evora.
9/6: Evora to Obidos (public transit issues?); overnight Obidos (everyone says it's better once the day-trippers leave)
9/7: Obidos to Nazare; stay Nazare
9/8: Nazare; visit Alcobaca and Batalha (or just Alcobaca)
9/9: Nazare to Coimbra; overnight Coimbra
9/10: Coimbra to Aveiro; a couple hours bicycling around Aveiro; Aveiro to Porto; overnight Porto.
9/11 to 9/14: meeting up with a group in Porto to do a Porto/Douro Valley wine tour; everything already arranged.
9/14 pm: train back to Lisbon
9/15: fly home
Any advice regarding my timeline (specifically, the 9/4 through 9/10 portion) would be much appreciated! Please excuse my lack of accents and possible misspellings; I'm doing this off the top of my head.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Help Planning Spain Itinerary
- 2 Update on Bob the Navigator
- 3 Car rental leaving Rome
- 4 Scotland itinerary, helm me with15 night itinerary
- 5 A couple of questions which are not quite answered
- 6 Critique my Budapest itinerary please!
- 7 Handicap Assistance at Charles de Gaulle - Our Experience
- 8 Trip Report - Croatia, Sept 22 -Oct 12 (Slovenia, Bosnia..)
- 9 Christmas Market-ing in the Salzkammergut
- 10 Normandy and England in November Trip Planning
- 11 Stay in El Born, in Barcelona, and getting to the Languedoc, France
- 12 A Walk in Tuscany, New Places to Discover, & A Life Time of memories
- 13 Purchasing Italian train tickets from USA!
- 14 CAPITALIZING ON THE CAPITALS: Central Europe
- 15 Celebrating Christmas Early...in Vienna!
- 16 Car Rental in Italy
- 17 Rue des Rosiers
- 18 Paris for Christmas Eve and New Year's Eve
- 19 Last min prep for Krakow - Questions
- 20 thursdaysd Wanders South
- 21 First Trip to Europe!
- 22 Paris Under Seige...
- 23 Italy with my 22 year old son
- 24 Pyrenees villages sth of Lourdes
- 25 Interested in Icelandic cuisine?