I've finally spent a good amount of time with Fodors forum and a map and have this potential Itinerary, but I kind of fall apart in the 2nd week. Please advise if this is too rushed, ambitious, what you'd skip, suggestions for better home bases. We will be travelling with a 1 year old baby, so would like to stay in places (ie, a farm in the mountains, an apartment by the sea) that will allow us to just chill out for periods of time - take leisurely walks through the woods/along the shore/through the village, etc. Because we'll have the baby, I'd like to have "home bases" where we can take day trips from or just relax where we are. Here it goes:
Day 1: fly into Ljubjana, get rental car and drive to Lake Bled area.
Day 2. Explore Julian Alps/Bled/Bohinjska/hang out where we'll be staying. Don't want to do too much the first few days, as the baby will likely be cranky with the time change/upheaval of his schedule. Sleep in Bled.
Day 3. Drive to Soca, Kobarid, Sleep in Bled.
Day 4. Day trip to Skofja Loka and Ljubjana, Sleep in Bled.
Day 5. Drive to Opatija. Sleep in Opatija (Apartment)
Day 6. Day trip to Trieste, Grado. Sleep in Opatija
Day 7 . Day trip to Istrian Penninsula: Rovinj, Pula. Return to Opatija.
Day 8. Chill out in Opatija (This is the point where I get a little iffier - should we head out of town now or relax or take another day trip, say to Rab and Krk?)
Day 9. Drive to Plitvicka, spend one night here.
Day 10 - 14ish - In the next few days, we'd like to make our way to Dubrovnik, perhaps seeing/staying in Trogir? What would be another good town to stay in for 3 nights at the end of our trip?
How many days/nights should we allow for Dubrovnik?
then we would depart for home from Dub. Ideas about difficulties with open jaws plane ticket (into Ljubjana and out of Dubrovnik?) How about renting the car in Slovenia and returning it in Croatia? Are we omitting someplace that we "shouldn't miss?" thank you for any ideas, Julie
2 weeks in Croatia/Slovenia - Need advice for narrowing where to go/stay - please critique my itinerary!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 What to do during Christmas in Paris?
- 2 Suggestions for Scandinavian Movies, Radio and Music. Can you help?
- 3 Amazon 50% off sale on Rosetta Stone German
- 4 Tips for Chamonix in June?
- 5 Help With Vienna
- 6 Another Trip of Discovery of Feminine Charm with DW and DD the Younger
- 7 No Starbucks in Italy?
- 8 Beaune to Chamonix to Paris---driving/train?
- 9 Flying from Paris to London: logistics help?
- 10 Backpacking Europe in the Winter
- 11 Turkey Family Vacation packages From India.
- 12 Solo Scotland May 2014
- 13 FREE SATNAV WORLDWIDE with OFFLINE NAVIGATION on Windows 8 phones
- 14 Which European Countries Speak the Most English?
- 15 How safe is "Combe Laval Road" or ROUTE DE GENTLY to drive a car?
- 16 Nice or Marseille??
- 17 Iceland with kids - purchase a 'self-drive' package or DIY?
- 18 27-DAY ODYSSEY IN THE ALPS with 3 FINAL DAYS IN PARIS
- 19 Air pollution in Paris
- 20 Adventures in Italy with Momma
- 21 Frustrated! 1st trip to PARIS & France in JULY: Need Cheery HELP!
- 22 San Marino - The world's smallest country
- 23 France, Italy and Greec
- 24 gites de france or agritourism
- 25 15 days in Europe from 15 Dec 2014 to 1st Jan 2015