I've finally spent a good amount of time with Fodors forum and a map and have this potential Itinerary, but I kind of fall apart in the 2nd week. Please advise if this is too rushed, ambitious, what you'd skip, suggestions for better home bases. We will be travelling with a 1 year old baby, so would like to stay in places (ie, a farm in the mountains, an apartment by the sea) that will allow us to just chill out for periods of time - take leisurely walks through the woods/along the shore/through the village, etc. Because we'll have the baby, I'd like to have "home bases" where we can take day trips from or just relax where we are. Here it goes:
Day 1: fly into Ljubjana, get rental car and drive to Lake Bled area.
Day 2. Explore Julian Alps/Bled/Bohinjska/hang out where we'll be staying. Don't want to do too much the first few days, as the baby will likely be cranky with the time change/upheaval of his schedule. Sleep in Bled.
Day 3. Drive to Soca, Kobarid, Sleep in Bled.
Day 4. Day trip to Skofja Loka and Ljubjana, Sleep in Bled.
Day 5. Drive to Opatija. Sleep in Opatija (Apartment)
Day 6. Day trip to Trieste, Grado. Sleep in Opatija
Day 7 . Day trip to Istrian Penninsula: Rovinj, Pula. Return to Opatija.
Day 8. Chill out in Opatija (This is the point where I get a little iffier - should we head out of town now or relax or take another day trip, say to Rab and Krk?)
Day 9. Drive to Plitvicka, spend one night here.
Day 10 - 14ish - In the next few days, we'd like to make our way to Dubrovnik, perhaps seeing/staying in Trogir? What would be another good town to stay in for 3 nights at the end of our trip?
How many days/nights should we allow for Dubrovnik?
then we would depart for home from Dub. Ideas about difficulties with open jaws plane ticket (into Ljubjana and out of Dubrovnik?) How about renting the car in Slovenia and returning it in Croatia? Are we omitting someplace that we "shouldn't miss?" thank you for any ideas, Julie
2 weeks in Croatia/Slovenia - Need advice for narrowing where to go/stay - please critique my itinerary!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Naples - Hotel to stay for 2 nites
- 2 Are we likely to encounter Dynamic Currency Conversion in Andalucia?
- 3 We saw London, we saw France as well as The Netherlands and Belgium
- 4 Help us plan our itinerary......pleeeeeaaase
- 5 First Solo Euro Trip -- August 2014
- 6 tour guides in rome
- 7 Cordoba -- What to do on a Monday?
- 8 Venice to Wegen Switerzerland-suggestion for overnight near lake como
- 9 Travelling two weeks in London, Ireland and Scotland.
- 10 Train ticket dilemma from Zurich to Milan
- 11 Day trip on the Rhine
- 12 poland to switzerland
- 13 From CDG to the Seventh?
- 14 Wanting to spend 6 months in the French Countryside
- 15 Spain in 18days -finalizing itinerary and a special bday celebration!
- 16 Restaurant with a view - Florence
- 17 People acting out Paris Metro Names
- 18 England/Scotland Itinerary
- 19 Reims for a day
- 20 Toulouse and beyond -
- 21 Florence to Naples by car road trip ideas
- 22 French embassy schengen visa related questions
- 23 Dordogne and Paris - April/May 2013
- 24 Parking Car in Amsterdam - Need Advice
- 25 getting on highway from Avignon TVG Europcar rental place