I've finally spent a good amount of time with Fodors forum and a map and have this potential Itinerary, but I kind of fall apart in the 2nd week. Please advise if this is too rushed, ambitious, what you'd skip, suggestions for better home bases. We will be travelling with a 1 year old baby, so would like to stay in places (ie, a farm in the mountains, an apartment by the sea) that will allow us to just chill out for periods of time - take leisurely walks through the woods/along the shore/through the village, etc. Because we'll have the baby, I'd like to have "home bases" where we can take day trips from or just relax where we are. Here it goes:
Day 1: fly into Ljubjana, get rental car and drive to Lake Bled area.
Day 2. Explore Julian Alps/Bled/Bohinjska/hang out where we'll be staying. Don't want to do too much the first few days, as the baby will likely be cranky with the time change/upheaval of his schedule. Sleep in Bled.
Day 3. Drive to Soca, Kobarid, Sleep in Bled.
Day 4. Day trip to Skofja Loka and Ljubjana, Sleep in Bled.
Day 5. Drive to Opatija. Sleep in Opatija (Apartment)
Day 6. Day trip to Trieste, Grado. Sleep in Opatija
Day 7 . Day trip to Istrian Penninsula: Rovinj, Pula. Return to Opatija.
Day 8. Chill out in Opatija (This is the point where I get a little iffier - should we head out of town now or relax or take another day trip, say to Rab and Krk?)
Day 9. Drive to Plitvicka, spend one night here.
Day 10 - 14ish - In the next few days, we'd like to make our way to Dubrovnik, perhaps seeing/staying in Trogir? What would be another good town to stay in for 3 nights at the end of our trip?
How many days/nights should we allow for Dubrovnik?
then we would depart for home from Dub. Ideas about difficulties with open jaws plane ticket (into Ljubjana and out of Dubrovnik?) How about renting the car in Slovenia and returning it in Croatia? Are we omitting someplace that we "shouldn't miss?" thank you for any ideas, Julie
2 weeks in Croatia/Slovenia - Need advice for narrowing where to go/stay - please critique my itinerary!
- 1 USING THE METRO FROM AEROPORT CDG 2 TGV TO Place d'Italie
- 2 Channel Islands
- 3 Chambermaid tipping
- 4 WOW Russia Tours St. Petersburg
- 5 17 Days Route from Amsterdam to Zurich
- 6 2 Week European Itinerary
- 7 Bells, Balls and a Basilica – Cooking in Abruzzo; Eating & Drinking In Rome
- 8 Car in Prague
- 9 best beach hotel Mykonos
- 10 Oh Solomillo! 15 Days in Spain
- 11 French café offers discounts to customers who remember their "Bonjour"
- 12 Cell phones in Europe if my current phone isn't international capable?
- 13 Rome Accommodation
- 14 Our 'trip of a lifetime'in Europe - trip report
- 15 Budget (or at least Somewhat Inexpensive) Lodging in Bologna
- 16 Istanbul hotels
- 17 Christmas windows of Boulevard Haussmann in Paris
- 18 Germany with our 2 girls....help with itinerary
- 19 TGV and Provence questions
- 20 On TCM on 4/28/06 Cinema Paradiso
- 21 River Cruise from Moscow to St. Petersburg
- 22 Driving Slovenia & Noerthern Croatia
- 23 Barcelona - Hotel Help
- 24 To Paris and Provence in June
- 25 "It Will Rain Tomorrow." England Weathers The MaiTai Four.