I've spent some time looking through some threads trying to find information about guided tours. From the looks of things, most of the contributors on this site are independent travelers (maybe I will be one day!!!), but hopefully I can still get some good advice. I have done minimal traveling since I'm only in my mid 20s, but my boyfriend and I have decided to take a 10-12 day trip to Italy. We are interested in seeing the iconic sites, unique architecture, and beautiful landscapes of the country as well as enjoying the local food and wines, as we are both foodies.
My main reason for being interested in guided tours is because we both lack experience in planning a trip like this. It will be our first time in the country and it seems like a guided tour is an easy way to experience the country for newbies. It will eliminate the (nerve-racking) task of choosing hotels, arranging transportation, and there will be someone guiding us to places.
In researching different tour companies and analyzing the options each provides, I have sort of narrowed it down to the following choices:
1 - https://www.insightvacations.com/us/tours/best-of-italy-winter-2015-2016?tab=overview
2 - https://www.ricksteves.com/tours/italy/venice-florence-rome -- would the "My Way" tours be a better option?
Any suggestions, personal experiences, or critiques of the tours are welcomed. Am I getting a good bang for my buck? Are these good hotels? What's the age of these groups like?
I really wish I was brave enough to plan the trip myself, but there are so many unknowns and the task seems pretty daunting for someone who doesn't have much experience. Maybe after this first trip I will feel more comfortable in attempting to plan my own!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Ireland last minute recommendations
- 2 Seville- Ronda drive time
- 3 What crazy coincidence or chance meeting have you had while traveling?
- 4 Train tickets, Swiss pass or eurail
- 5 Planning a Trip to Greece
- 6 No Periods in British Written English!
- 7 Not Gone From Memory Or From Love — The Western Front Revisited
- 8 Madrid/Lisbon
- 9 bavaria itinerary in may with a 3 year old
- 10 Dinner get-together in Paris?
- 11 Wine tasting in Granada, Seville without driving
- 12 Seeking Andalusia itinerary recommendation
- 13 Relais Il Canalicchio
- 14 A few days in Naples - what a great city
- 15 Oporto
- 16 Sao Miguel, Azores
- 17 Italy, beyond the most common Tourist Destinations
- 18 Perugia
- 19 CDG Meeting Point Help
- 20 Lunch stop in Cinque Terre
- 21 Ronda Wine/biking
- 22 Flying into London and Flying out of Edinburgh
- 23 St Denis Cathedral
- 24 Mantova, Ravenna, Ferrara fall 2017?
- 25 First Trip from Boston to Italy