We are planning a one week family vacation next winter (Jan/Feb, 2014) and need help deciding which island would best fit our needs. Friends suggested St. Lucia or Grenada. My husband's main focus is an uncrowded beach like in Corona's commercials. I enjoy history/architecture/native cultures. There will be 4 young adults (20's and 30's), two kids ages 6 mos. and 2 1/2 and my husband and I are healthy folks in our early 60's. T & C appears to have great beaches. Anguilla was recommended but air fare there from Denver was $1500 compared to $700 to St. Lucia or Grenada. We plan to rent a house so we can cook and save on expenses. The advice I've gotten from Fodors for trips to Europe has proven invaluable. This is a whole new arena for us and we could use some guidance. We aren't into cruises. We are looking for a safe place where we can interact with locals. Any ideas?
planning first trip to the islands
Recent ActivityView all Caribbean Islands activity »
- 1 50+ where to dance?
- 2 4 warnings for the non-seasoned, naïve tourist about to go to St Martin.
- 3 Aruba...too Americanized?
- 4 Best All Inclusive for my needs.........Ideas???
- 5 dominican republic
- 6 Summer family vacation
- 7 Grocery & Liquor Stores in Aruba
- 8 Puerto Rico Hotels
- 9 Restaurant for a very special birthday
- 10 St Martin
- 11 Florida or caribbean
- 12 One night in Nassau - hotel help
- 13 St Croix Trip Report - Memorial Day Week
- 14 Quick Flight from Ft Lauderdale or Miami To Carib or Key West
- 15 Resort villa suggestions
- 16 Beware of Sea Feathers Management Company in the Turks and Caicos!
- 17 Vacation booked, St Martin and Puerto Rico
- 18 A week in Virgin Gorda w/pool & ocean view for less than $5k??
- 19 Waterskiing in TCI???
- 20 Looking for privacy. And plunge pools!
- 21 Occidental Grand or Riu Palace Antillas?
- 22 Suggestions for Solo Travel for Woman in Late 30's
- 23 Best Island To Honeymoon To?
- 24 St. Thomas is dangerous
- 25 Honeymoon in Caribbean & US - HELP!