We are planning a one week family vacation next winter (Jan/Feb, 2014) and need help deciding which island would best fit our needs. Friends suggested St. Lucia or Grenada. My husband's main focus is an uncrowded beach like in Corona's commercials. I enjoy history/architecture/native cultures. There will be 4 young adults (20's and 30's), two kids ages 6 mos. and 2 1/2 and my husband and I are healthy folks in our early 60's. T & C appears to have great beaches. Anguilla was recommended but air fare there from Denver was $1500 compared to $700 to St. Lucia or Grenada. We plan to rent a house so we can cook and save on expenses. The advice I've gotten from Fodors for trips to Europe has proven invaluable. This is a whole new arena for us and we could use some guidance. We aren't into cruises. We are looking for a safe place where we can interact with locals. Any ideas?
planning first trip to the islands
Recent ActivityView all Caribbean Islands activity »
- 1 Jamaica all inclusive
- 2 Barbados/St. John/Turks/Puerto Rico/Curacao/
- 3 Why Barbados?
- 4 Bahamas Out Islands OR Turks & Caicos for family of teens?!
- 5 Can you travel to Cuba without a group?
- 6 Cuba Opening Up
- 7 Looking for deep sea fishing, beaches, culture (ALL CARIBBEAN SUGGESTIONS)
- 8 Half Moon in Jamaica
- 9 ROMANTIC DINNER FOR VERY SPECIAL OCCASION- seeking advice
- 10 Aruba Beach Club - Eagle Beach
- 11 Just back from The Somerset
- 12 BodyHoliday, St. Lucia or other wellness spa recommendations?
- 13 Late October Honeymoon in the Caribbean
- 14 Advice needed: Caribbean island / beaches for small children/toddlers
- 15 Sandals Resorts
- 16 Falmouth, Jamaica that bad???
- 17 Where is the most romantic place for dinner in Bermuda?
- 18 Best place for two single girls in early 20s?!
- 19 Trip Report - Eastern Cuba 2006
- 20 Please help me decide to go to Cuba!
- 21 Cuba in 10 days
- 22 1st time to Caribbean/Turks & Caicos - suggestions
- 23 Turks/Caicos or Dominican Republic
- 24 Best Snorkeling near/in Punta Cana?
- 25 ISO recs for high-end and high-chair-friendly meals in St. Martin