We are planning a one week family vacation next winter (Jan/Feb, 2014) and need help deciding which island would best fit our needs. Friends suggested St. Lucia or Grenada. My husband's main focus is an uncrowded beach like in Corona's commercials. I enjoy history/architecture/native cultures. There will be 4 young adults (20's and 30's), two kids ages 6 mos. and 2 1/2 and my husband and I are healthy folks in our early 60's. T & C appears to have great beaches. Anguilla was recommended but air fare there from Denver was $1500 compared to $700 to St. Lucia or Grenada. We plan to rent a house so we can cook and save on expenses. The advice I've gotten from Fodors for trips to Europe has proven invaluable. This is a whole new arena for us and we could use some guidance. We aren't into cruises. We are looking for a safe place where we can interact with locals. Any ideas?
planning first trip to the islands
Recent ActivityView all Caribbean Islands activity »
- 1 Best places for Honeymoon!!
- 2 Tipping at AI
- 3 First time visit to Turks & Caicos -- would love advice on the island!!
- 4 Guide to Green Turtle Cay, Bahamas
- 5 Having trouble finding nonstop flights from Boston
- 6 Traveling Solo
- 7 What happened to the Maho Bay Campground property on St. John?
- 8 A Volcanic Paradise
- 9 Best Singles Vacation 35-50 in Caribbean
- 10 Turks & Caicos - no kids
- 11 Anniversary Cruise Struggling with Excursions
- 12 Food at Cove Eleuthera
- 13 St. Kitts, the details
- 14 which Caribbean Islands don't have a big stray animal problem
- 15 Please help a beach vacation novice: Turks & Caicos vs. St. John vs. ...?
- 16 Vacation Review: Topic Follow-Up
- 17 Out islands of the Bahamas. Exumas? Abaco?
- 18 Out islands, Bahamas referral
- 19 Scrub Island vs Turks and Caicos
- 20 St. Thomas trip with 7 year old
- 21 Help me pick an island for my first Caribbean trip
- 22 8 TUFF MILES
- 23 Puerto Rico Nightlife?
- 24 1 week in San Juan
- 25 AI in Punta Cana, DR? Or nearby?