We are planning a one week family vacation next winter (Jan/Feb, 2014) and need help deciding which island would best fit our needs. Friends suggested St. Lucia or Grenada. My husband's main focus is an uncrowded beach like in Corona's commercials. I enjoy history/architecture/native cultures. There will be 4 young adults (20's and 30's), two kids ages 6 mos. and 2 1/2 and my husband and I are healthy folks in our early 60's. T & C appears to have great beaches. Anguilla was recommended but air fare there from Denver was $1500 compared to $700 to St. Lucia or Grenada. We plan to rent a house so we can cook and save on expenses. The advice I've gotten from Fodors for trips to Europe has proven invaluable. This is a whole new arena for us and we could use some guidance. We aren't into cruises. We are looking for a safe place where we can interact with locals. Any ideas?
planning first trip to the islands
Recent ActivityView all Caribbean Islands activity »
- 1 Jamaica vs The DR
- 2 Jamica: AI or Not?
- 3 Atlantis - what needs to be booked in advance?
- 4 Small resorts like Galley Bay in Caribbean
- 5 Seeking general advice on one-to-two-month Caribbean villa rental
- 6 celebrating 40
- 7 A U.S. citizen's tour to Cuba
- 8 It's Excellent in the Exumas ~ A week on Staniel Cay (+ Atlantis)
- 9 Where to go in February/March
- 10 Anguilla Honeymoon in June
- 11 My First Vacation Alone & First Vacation in 13 Years
- 12 looking for rustic on the beach, north side
- 13 Please help me decide to go to Cuba!
- 14 Best place for two single girls in early 20s?!
- 15 Seeking luxury resort with private villas/pools
- 16 St. Thomas Frenchman's Reef Marriot Resort - Need advice
- 17 Which island?
- 18 Puerto Rico Public Transportation
- 19 Planning possible retirement in USVI
- 20 St. Thomas is dangerous
- 21 Need Help..Large group, wedding?
- 22 St. Croix and sea grass
- 23 Multiple flights in Caribbean
- 24 Rainforest Question: Better to do a Tour or go on your own?
- 25 Bahamas Resort