Just returned from one week in Nevis. Flights were all on time or early and we had no problems at all (BOS-SJU-NEV and return on AA. We stayed again this year at the Hermitage and enjoyed it as much as last year. The owners and staff are friendly, efficient, welcoming, and warm. If you want a taste of the traditional Caribbean, I highly recommend it. We stayed in Pasture House, a traditional West Indian cottage. It had a living room with a basic kitchen, bathroom, bedroom with a four-poster dark wood bed with mosquito netting (BTW, never saw any mosquitoes in or out of the net), and a terrific covered verandah with table and chairs, comfortable armchair, and hammock. We were occasionally visited by monkeys and by an early-morning donkey family. www.hermitagenevis.com
Most days found us at the beach: Nisbet, Oualie, and Pinney’s. We had lunches at Nisbet (chicken roti), Oualie (fish tacos), Chevy’s Beach Bar (spicy jerk chicken sandwich and spicy fish sandwich), and Double-Deuce (fresh-caught wahoo). We found the food at Nisbet and Oualie better than last year, and loved the two new places on our list: Chevy’s and Double Deuce.
We had most dinners at the Hermitage, but had two fine evenings out. One at Montpelier ($65 US for 3 courses), where you arrive early for cocktails in their very attractive great room, and snack on delicious passed appetizers. The staff was extremely professional and pleasant. Another night we ate at Double Deuce (now managed by the former executive chef at Montpelier). The food and the set-up are terrific with the blinking lights of Basseterre in the background. Take a walk on the beach before or after your dinner. I had the mahi mahi, and I think it was THE best I ever had. Could not have been fresher and cooked any better.
Did a bit of shopping in Charlestown, visited the Alexander Hamilton birthplace, and again this year spent a lovely half-day sailing and snorkeling on the Star. www.starmonkeys.com Our car rental was again through Noel’s and was arranged by the Hermitage and delivered to us the morning after our arrival.
Once again the trip was too short—but you know all about that.
Nevis trip report March 2007
Recent ActivityView all Caribbean Islands activity »
- 1 Tons of people are buzzing about Life Plus extract
- 2 50+ where to dance?
- 3 dominican republic
- 4 Puerto Rico Hotels
- 5 Restaurant for a very special birthday
- 6 Summer family vacation
- 7 St Martin
- 8 Florida or caribbean
- 9 One night in Nassau - hotel help
- 10 St Croix Trip Report - Memorial Day Week
- 11 Quick Flight from Ft Lauderdale or Miami To Carib or Key West
- 12 Resort villa suggestions
- 13 Beware of Sea Feathers Management Company in the Turks and Caicos!
- 14 Vacation booked, St Martin and Puerto Rico
- 15 A week in Virgin Gorda w/pool & ocean view for less than $5k??
- 16 Waterskiing in TCI???
- 17 Looking for privacy. And plunge pools!
- 18 Occidental Grand or Riu Palace Antillas?
- 19 Suggestions for Solo Travel for Woman in Late 30's
- 20 Best Island To Honeymoon To?
- 21 St. Thomas is dangerous
- 22 Honeymoon in Caribbean & US - HELP!
- 23 Some "Don't Miss" Stuff on St. Martin Please
- 24 Cost of liquor in Turks and Caicos
- 25 ANTIGUA & DOMINICAN REPUBLIC CASINO SCAM ALERT!!