Just returned from one week in Nevis. Flights were all on time or early and we had no problems at all (BOS-SJU-NEV and return on AA. We stayed again this year at the Hermitage and enjoyed it as much as last year. The owners and staff are friendly, efficient, welcoming, and warm. If you want a taste of the traditional Caribbean, I highly recommend it. We stayed in Pasture House, a traditional West Indian cottage. It had a living room with a basic kitchen, bathroom, bedroom with a four-poster dark wood bed with mosquito netting (BTW, never saw any mosquitoes in or out of the net), and a terrific covered verandah with table and chairs, comfortable armchair, and hammock. We were occasionally visited by monkeys and by an early-morning donkey family. www.hermitagenevis.com
Most days found us at the beach: Nisbet, Oualie, and Pinney’s. We had lunches at Nisbet (chicken roti), Oualie (fish tacos), Chevy’s Beach Bar (spicy jerk chicken sandwich and spicy fish sandwich), and Double-Deuce (fresh-caught wahoo). We found the food at Nisbet and Oualie better than last year, and loved the two new places on our list: Chevy’s and Double Deuce.
We had most dinners at the Hermitage, but had two fine evenings out. One at Montpelier ($65 US for 3 courses), where you arrive early for cocktails in their very attractive great room, and snack on delicious passed appetizers. The staff was extremely professional and pleasant. Another night we ate at Double Deuce (now managed by the former executive chef at Montpelier). The food and the set-up are terrific with the blinking lights of Basseterre in the background. Take a walk on the beach before or after your dinner. I had the mahi mahi, and I think it was THE best I ever had. Could not have been fresher and cooked any better.
Did a bit of shopping in Charlestown, visited the Alexander Hamilton birthplace, and again this year spent a lovely half-day sailing and snorkeling on the Star. www.starmonkeys.com Our car rental was again through Noel’s and was arranged by the Hermitage and delivered to us the morning after our arrival.
Once again the trip was too short—but you know all about that.
Recent ActivityView all Caribbean Islands activity »
- 1 FAQs: AOL Tec*h SUPP0RT CONTACT 1:8OO:385:4895 AOL MAIL 24*7
- 2 Havana
- 3 Antigua or St. John Honeymoon Dec.
- 4 Barbados-how about this place?
- 5 Avoid Sandals Resort in St Lucia
- 6 What is the food and water situation in Cuba?
- 7 Aruba All Inclusive vs. Not
- 8 Anguilla Trip Report & Photos 6/26-7/3 2016
- 9 Cuba, March 2017, what an experience!
- 10 Upcoming Cuba Trip
- 11 Restrictions on US Military travel to Cuba?
- 12 Affordable Honeymoon Help
- 13 Anguilla Hotel recommendations
- 14 Restaurant Recommendations
- 15 Help, USVI in June, must book soon!
- 16 Family vacation
- 17 Puerto Rico Christmas Week
- 18 Airfare Tips for Flying to Abaco Islands, Bahamas in December
- 19 PR or USVI
- 20 Havana Hotel
- 21 Best kids friendly Island to visit in August
- 22 The Reserve at Paradisus Palma Reall-Punta Cana DR
- 23 Back to the Exumas - Trip Report
- 24 Cayman Islands Currency
- 25 Virgin Gorda BVI