Just returned from one week in Nevis. Flights were all on time or early and we had no problems at all (BOS-SJU-NEV and return on AA. We stayed again this year at the Hermitage and enjoyed it as much as last year. The owners and staff are friendly, efficient, welcoming, and warm. If you want a taste of the traditional Caribbean, I highly recommend it. We stayed in Pasture House, a traditional West Indian cottage. It had a living room with a basic kitchen, bathroom, bedroom with a four-poster dark wood bed with mosquito netting (BTW, never saw any mosquitoes in or out of the net), and a terrific covered verandah with table and chairs, comfortable armchair, and hammock. We were occasionally visited by monkeys and by an early-morning donkey family. www.hermitagenevis.com
Most days found us at the beach: Nisbet, Oualie, and Pinney’s. We had lunches at Nisbet (chicken roti), Oualie (fish tacos), Chevy’s Beach Bar (spicy jerk chicken sandwich and spicy fish sandwich), and Double-Deuce (fresh-caught wahoo). We found the food at Nisbet and Oualie better than last year, and loved the two new places on our list: Chevy’s and Double Deuce.
We had most dinners at the Hermitage, but had two fine evenings out. One at Montpelier ($65 US for 3 courses), where you arrive early for cocktails in their very attractive great room, and snack on delicious passed appetizers. The staff was extremely professional and pleasant. Another night we ate at Double Deuce (now managed by the former executive chef at Montpelier). The food and the set-up are terrific with the blinking lights of Basseterre in the background. Take a walk on the beach before or after your dinner. I had the mahi mahi, and I think it was THE best I ever had. Could not have been fresher and cooked any better.
Did a bit of shopping in Charlestown, visited the Alexander Hamilton birthplace, and again this year spent a lovely half-day sailing and snorkeling on the Star. www.starmonkeys.com Our car rental was again through Noel’s and was arranged by the Hermitage and delivered to us the morning after our arrival.
Once again the trip was too short—but you know all about that.
Recent ActivityView all Caribbean Islands activity »
- 1 Anguilla - where to rent a car
- 2 How to avoid nudity in St. Maarten.
- 3 Antigua vs. Barbados vs. Jamaica
- 4 Credit Card-Carrying US Independent Travelers Go to Cuba
- 5 Turks and caicos
- 6 St.Lucia newbie
- 7 Aruba weather
- 8 BFF Trip, 3 girls, 7-8 days total. Suggestions???
- 9 Dominican Republic self drive tour
- 10 Turks and caicos
- 11 Cruise stop activities
- 12 Choosing an island for summer vacation
- 13 Jade Mountain
- 14 Honeymoon Help!!
- 15 Which Caribbean island to choose?
- 16 Bermuda
- 17 Restaurant Suggestions
- 18 St. Martin: cost of transportation to Grand Case
- 19 Havana Cuba for 2 days
- 20 Mid-Twenties couple looking for a lively, gorgeous resort
- 21 Restrictions on US Military travel to Cuba?
- 22 Taxi info. Self touring
- 23 In search of place to take adult daughters on a girls' week away
- 24 1st timer Ann Trip Suggestions for All Inclusive/Adult Only Resort
- 25 Half Moon Montego Bay questions