We're planning to go to the USVI in December and can't decide between St. John and St. Croix. We're a family of three: Our 2.5 yrs old daughter (she'll be 2.5 in December), my wife and I.
We've never done beach vacations, but done a lot of traveling to historic places instead (before the kid came). However, our daughter loves in the ocean and the beach, so we figured we'd take a vacation to the Caribbean in December.
A few things I was hoping for:
- Apartment on the beach/oceanfront (we had a similar apartment in Maui and loved it). A kitchen would be a plus. I thinking VRBO should have a plethora of such apartments.
- A swimming pool on the complex sometimes help if the water is cold or the baby just wants to swim (as opposed to play in the sand/ocean)
- Relatively inexpensive. We can go $250 per night max (that would be my upper limit).
- I would prefer not to have madly crowded beaches where you can barely walk. People on the beach is nice (especially people with kids - since kids make friends easily with each other and love to play). Beaches with nice sand (not just rocks)
- Beautiful beaches with lovely views: I'm a photographer (amateur, but I like to think I'll go pro someday when I have nothing else to do ) and love taking good pictures.
- Shallow snorkeling water: Not sure how to describe this. The only time I went snorkeling was in Maui and the depth of the water, underwater view of the hull of the catamaran that took us out - both just freaked me out. So if I could just wade in a bit and swim around, that would be ideal.
- Decent food - variety especially since we're vegetarians.
- Safe: This goes without saying
- Good medical facilities. I'm not expecting something like UCSF which is close to us, but something that will assure us decent care in case of emergencies.
Sorry, if these are a lot of things to ask for. I just listed things that came to my mind, hoping more information is better for you to make a recommendation!
St Croix vs. St. John: One of the reasons I picked St. Croix is because there are direct flights. We live in San Francisco and getting to St. John will end up being a production (here to Miami, change planes, to St. Thomas, mostly have to stay there overnight, take a boat). The kid gets cranky and we generally prefer to keep it simple with her.
Other thoughts/suggestions/ideas would be highly appreciated!
Help me plan a USVI trip (St. John/St.Croix)
- 1 Luxury family resort with villas and good beach
- 2 Anniversary in May, need resort suggestions
- 3 Wedding Help!
- 4 Where to stay in Puerto Rico
- 5 Last Minute Urgent Advice for "my best beach vacation ever"
- 6 San Juan PR 1 night stay
- 7 Restaurant Reservations Needed in St. John?
- 8 50's mom + 19 yo son Mid-Jan vaca ideas
- 9 Islands with great nightlife
- 10 month stay on a caribbean island
- 11 St Thomas Elysian or Secret Harbour
- 12 Where to stay on Vieques
- 13 Ferry to Rum Point
- 14 Massages in Punta Cana (not in the resorts)
- 15 Family with infants/toddlers
- 16 Worst Vacation Ever - Sandals Antigua
- 17 typical question which island? St. Martin, Jamaica or TCI
- 18 Nevis or Turks and Caicos or St. Barths? Or somewhere else?
- 19 Should I rent a car in Aruba?
- 20 Jamaica property buying and selling
- 21 One day in Aruba/Our anniversary
- 22 4 warnings for the non-seasoned, naïve tourist about to go to St Martin.
- 23 Aruba vs. Turks & Caicos - June Honeymoon
- 24 St Martin - villa rental close to the beach
- 25 Day Sailing trips in St. Martin