This is new (using Fodor) for me, but I'll try to give as much detail as possible for what were looking for: Basically I'm looking for suggestions for travel destinations in the Caribbean for the month of February. I know some are cooler at that time so ideally to be as warm as possible. Our group will be of 9 people, 4 adults and 5 children ages 5 to 11 yrs. One family traveling from LA, and the other Chicago.
We could stay in a resort or we've done condo's when visiting Hawaii, but we like them to be clean and more updated. Our time there will be roughly around 8 to 12 days (depending on the tickets) and our budget for resort/condo would be about $4000 - $5000 a week. ($2000-$2500 per family but we're staying as a group) Needs to have washer/dryer and kitchen. (we usually only eat out once a day). Also, a grill too. This is why we usually do a condo. Of course, if there's an all inclusive, we could explore that option too.
What we liked/disliked about other places we visited:
We've been to Maui, love the hot weather, but didn't like it too much because it was very commercialized. Still a beautiful place to visit, just not #1 on our list.
We love Kauai. What we love about it, is the people are kind and very laid back, abundance of fresh fruits from the market, the island is more true to Hawaiin culture and it's NOT very commercialized. Kauai has a lot of neat places to eat, but not an over abundance to effect the ambiance of the Hawaiian island. Basically, you get a true feeling that your someplace new and different (on vacation feeling) and getting away from it all. Botanical gardens, Canyons, boat tours out on the ocean and go swimming, lush and green with lots of flowers.
So we're looking for a Caribbean island that will offer some great beaches for swimming, love to snorkel, (including the kids), would like to take a Catamaran out on a tour if available, would love to see some "Nature" the island has to offer, like caves, or canyons, waterfalls. We love to visit Botanical Gardens and Historical interests as well. Also, I'd love to be able (if possible) to horseback ride (on the beach would be awesome). Also, for the resort/condo to have the option of a swimming pool, one that might have something of interest for the kids. This would make both families happy because not ALL the kids love to be at the ocean all the time.
Accomadation budget: roughly $4000-$5000 a week
Food Budget: about $10 per person (roughly)
Car Rental: Yes
Night Life: Not needed because we have the kids
Family Oriented: Definately a PLUS
Safe to be able to explore other than the Resort: Yes
Place to relax and soak up the sun (Not too crowded): Yes
Would be flying with United Airlines (redeeming miles)
I hope this time I've been a little more specific. I apologize, and I guess we all learn by doing. I thank everyone in advance for your help. hhosu
P.S. I selected a few tags of some places we're interested in, but it doesn't have to be limited to just those 5
Recent ActivityView all Caribbean Islands activity »
- 1 Renaissance Carambola St. Croix
- 2 Caribbean Island hopping - tips & ideas?
- 3 Help me choose an all-inclusive resort
- 4 What to do in Jamaica besides beach?
- 5 Help me narrow down island for 20th anniversary trip
- 6 So is Bonaire great? Or not??
- 7 Sailboat charter through the British Virgin Islands
- 8 Cheapest excursions in Punta Cana?
- 9 Belize vs Bonaire for snorkeling?
- 10 Guadeloupe, Martinique or St Martin?
- 11 Cuba in November
- 12 Which Caribbean Island Should I Visit?
- 13 planning to sail the Caribbean
- 14 Bonaire Flight Issue/Travelocity
- 15 DIY Cuba - US Citizens - Havana + Viñales or Trinidad?
- 16 Question about Long Term Rentals
- 17 san salvador bahamas - trip report
- 18 2 weeks in Cuba - to include Santiago/Baracoa or not?!
- 19 Tennis in Aruba question
- 20 christmas in the caribbean
- 21 Anguilla Trip Report & Photos 6/26-7/3 2016
- 22 Trip report: Woman solo travelling in Cuba
- 23 Guadeloupe - January 2017
- 24 Marriott Courtyard Junkanoo Beach Nassau
- 25 Jamaica