This is new (using Fodor) for me, but I'll try to give as much detail as possible for what were looking for: Basically I'm looking for suggestions for travel destinations in the Caribbean for the month of February. I know some are cooler at that time so ideally to be as warm as possible. Our group will be of 9 people, 4 adults and 5 children ages 5 to 11 yrs. One family traveling from LA, and the other Chicago.
We could stay in a resort or we've done condo's when visiting Hawaii, but we like them to be clean and more updated. Our time there will be roughly around 8 to 12 days (depending on the tickets) and our budget for resort/condo would be about $4000 - $5000 a week. ($2000-$2500 per family but we're staying as a group) Needs to have washer/dryer and kitchen. (we usually only eat out once a day). Also, a grill too. This is why we usually do a condo. Of course, if there's an all inclusive, we could explore that option too.
What we liked/disliked about other places we visited:
We've been to Maui, love the hot weather, but didn't like it too much because it was very commercialized. Still a beautiful place to visit, just not #1 on our list.
We love Kauai. What we love about it, is the people are kind and very laid back, abundance of fresh fruits from the market, the island is more true to Hawaiin culture and it's NOT very commercialized. Kauai has a lot of neat places to eat, but not an over abundance to effect the ambiance of the Hawaiian island. Basically, you get a true feeling that your someplace new and different (on vacation feeling) and getting away from it all. Botanical gardens, Canyons, boat tours out on the ocean and go swimming, lush and green with lots of flowers.
So we're looking for a Caribbean island that will offer some great beaches for swimming, love to snorkel, (including the kids), would like to take a Catamaran out on a tour if available, would love to see some "Nature" the island has to offer, like caves, or canyons, waterfalls. We love to visit Botanical Gardens and Historical interests as well. Also, I'd love to be able (if possible) to horseback ride (on the beach would be awesome). Also, for the resort/condo to have the option of a swimming pool, one that might have something of interest for the kids. This would make both families happy because not ALL the kids love to be at the ocean all the time.
Accomadation budget: roughly $4000-$5000 a week
Food Budget: about $10 per person (roughly)
Car Rental: Yes
Night Life: Not needed because we have the kids
Family Oriented: Definately a PLUS
Safe to be able to explore other than the Resort: Yes
Place to relax and soak up the sun (Not too crowded): Yes
Would be flying with United Airlines (redeeming miles)
I hope this time I've been a little more specific. I apologize, and I guess we all learn by doing. I thank everyone in advance for your help. hhosu
P.S. I selected a few tags of some places we're interested in, but it doesn't have to be limited to just those 5
Recent ActivityView all Caribbean Islands activity »
- 1 http://www.newhealthprograms.com/revitasence-serum-reviews/
- 2 Gluten free restaurants in Bermuda
- 3 Which is more suitable for a family holiday
- 4 Safest Islands for Us?
- 5 Bermuda in February or March
- 6 Best place to buy a vacation property I can also rent out...with a twist
- 7 Does my dream vacation exist in the carribean
- 8 Thoughts on Green Turtle Cay?
- 9 My 35th Birthday In October With Just Me And My Homegurl
- 10 Which Caribbean Island Should I Visit?
- 11 Guadeloupe, Martinique or St Martin?
- 12 DIY Cuba - US Citizens - Havana + Viñales or Trinidad?
- 13 Narrowing it down
- 14 Help - 1 BR Suite, Lots of Kids Stuff, Good Food
- 15 Beaches, Turks Caicos/ Which village should we book?
- 16 Dominicana Punta Cana Diary
- 17 Best Island for steel drum music and relaxing?
- 18 Help us choose a waterpark resort in Punta Cana
- 19 Destination Wedding
- 20 St. Thomas is dangerous
- 21 Help us plan a laid back honeymoon
- 22 by ship from puerto rico to the AVI or BVI
- 23 barbados vs. Bonaire
- 24 Trip report: Woman solo travelling in Cuba
- 25 2 weeks in Cuba - to include Santiago/Baracoa or not?!