I am planning an early summer trip to the Canadian rockies June 26 to July 3rd with my husband, 8yr old and 3yr old. We would like to do some hiking though not very intense, some horse riding and take turns to do white water rafting. I read some threads on a similar topic and have come up with the following itinerary. But want to make sure the following :
a) it is not over aimbitious ( with the kids)
b) daily activities are logistically doable
c) any recommendations on decent places to eat would be extremely helpful ( we are vegetarians)
June 26 : Arrive Calgary ( 3.:00pm), Car rental, groceries in calgary
Drive to Banff ( 2hrs),
Check in ( suggestions for a reasonably priced place just for one night???)
Evening : Relax , downtown banff, dinner
June 27 : Breakfast, Head out to Jasper via Icefield Pkwy
Stops on route : Bow lake, Peyto Lake, Picnic lunch
Snowcoach Athabasca Glacier and Athabasca falls
Check In Patricia Bungalows ( hope I picked a good property...still to confirm)
Dinner @ ???
June 28 : Breakfast
White water Rafting Athabasca river
After this in the evening can we do either
A) Medicine lake & Malign lake -- boating to Spirit Island/ Malign Canyon hiking ( was told this was easy and can be dropped off at the top of the trail)
B) Gondola to Angel Glacier and Mt. Edith Cavell OR Mt. Whistler
Dinner @ ?????
Overnight in Jasper
June 29 : Breakfast, Check out
Do A/ OR B/ remaning from previous day
Drive back to Lake Louise, Picnic lunch
Debating between Fairmont/Paradise/Post ????
Horse back ride to Lake Agnes Tea house
Dinner @ ?
Overnight @ LL
June 30 : Sunrise @ Lake Loiuse
Lake Moraine ...go to the top of the rockpile ( read this in many threads) and explore more around LL...Takkakaw falls/ Emerald lake.
Lunch @ Fairmont
Evening drive to Banff, check in to Douglas Fir / Banff Aspen Lodge??
Dinner, overnight in Banff
July 1st : Breakfast,
Johnston Canyon...perhaps hike upto lower falls ( possible with 3yr old?)
Lunch @ Fairmont
Gondola to Sulphur mt and Hot springs
Dinner, Overnight in Banff
July 2nd : Lakes drive ...Two jacke lake/ Vermilion lakes/Mistaya Canyon OR
explore Kananaskis are...Relaxed day to see the countryside at leisure.
Dinner, Overnight in Banff OR Calgary
July 3rd : Early breakfast, drive to Calgary Airport, return Car,
Depart @ noon from Calgary
Appreciate your feedback/ suggestions/ tweaks.....Thanks!
Recent ActivityView all Canada activity »
- 1 Alberta Warning
- 2 Preliminary Newfoundland Itinerary
- 3 Northern route from Toronto to northern Newfoundland
- 4 national parks of Newfoundland
- 5 Shopping favorites in Montreal?
- 6 Oceanfront accomodation?
- 7 Jasper and Banff and Glacier
- 8 Vancouver Island in 8 day
- 9 Early 30's Couple Spending Two weeks in Coastal Maine and Canada
- 10 Been to Stratford (ON) Recently?
- 11 Newfoundland Trip Ideas - August
- 12 Where to stay to break up long drive between Yoho National Park & Whistler?
- 13 Niagara/ toronto/wine tastings in 2.5 days?
- 14 Camping in Newfoundland and Labrador
- 15 Apartments in Montreal and Quebec
- 16 Newfoundland Itinerary help
- 17 Places about 40 minutes from Toronto
- 18 Itinerary Help - Vancouver Area
- 19 Long Weekend Toronto
- 20 Cape Breton Island in second half of May
- 21 Vancouver transportation from Port to Airport
- 22 1 Night between Charlotteown & Halifax
- 23 Help planning trip to Calgary/Lake Louise
- 24 roadtrip from Niagara Falls ON to east coast
- 25 My Trip to Montreal and Quebec City
Banff/Lake Louise/Jasper in June with kids...Please tweak my itinerary!