It’s been a little while since I’ve been able to plan a great trip using the forum…sadly work has beckoned for the past 2 years! I am currently planning my honeymoon for Australia and Fiji. My fiancé and I are getting married in June 2011 and will take a belated honeymoon for about 16 days in the second half of November (would like to take advantage of better weather and our US Thanksgiving holiday).
We are active (hiking, scuba diving, etc), enjoy food and wine (but don't know all that much about the latter), taking photos and enjoy learning about other cultures. We are thinking about spending 2-3 days in Sydney, 1-2 days in Melbourne, a 3-4 day liveaboard in the Reef (with about a day or so in either Cairns or Port Douglas). Then we’ll fly back to Sydney, spend an overnight and then fly to somewhere in Fiji for a few days and then head back to Chicago. Could we fit in 2 days in Ayers Rock? I think that would be amazing to see. Also, where do you recommend in Fiji for a nice resort-y place (overwater bungalow would be awesome) that has great diving, but isn’t crazy expensive? We are thinking we’d like to spend about $200-$300 / night for lodging in Australia (other than the liveaboard) and maybe $400 - $500 / night in Fiji. Also, any recommendations for liveaboards would be great!
Is this too crazy? We don’t mind rushing around to get a feel for a place in Australia (I know that statement must be horrifying to some of you! , and then we’ll get some real R&R (and more diving) in Fiji. To be honest, I haven't done much research yet, as we are just starting to look into this. I thought I would ask all of you for your initial thoughts to help us frame our research / itinerary. We are planning to book our flights in December, so we can use miles. Thanks in advance! Truly appreciate it!
Recent ActivityView all Australia & the Pacific activity »
- 1 Uluru
- 2 Great Barrier Reaf or Sydney for Snorkeling
- 3 Base for visiting great barrier reef
- 4 Phone Cards
- 5 1 extra day to Nelson or Picton
- 6 4-hour layover in Melbourne (From LAX to New Zealand)
- 7 Sydney to Brisbane
- 8 Australia Trip Report (Sydney, Cairns, Hamilton Island) 2012
- 9 February Travel
- 10 its just a post
- 11 dinner cruise in sydney harbor
- 12 24 day itinary on both islanxs
- 13 South Island versus North Island NZ
- 14 Is Mid October too late for the wildflowers in Western Australia?
- 15 Traveling through East Coast
- 16 NZ November!
- 17 New Zealand Sth Island
- 18 Advice for 21 Day New Zealand Motorhome
- 19 Brisbane to Sydney in 4-5 days! Itinerary help!
- 20 Australia in 2 Weeks
- 21 How to allocate time: bora bora, tahit, moorea?
- 22 3 weeks New Zealand - Apr 2017
- 23 AUS/NZ trip planning
- 24 Abel Tasman National Park
- 25 Visiting New Zealand/Australia in April
Recommendations for 2+ week honeymoon in Australia and Fiji