I read a lot of forums but couldnt find an answer to what I was looking for. Maybe this post would help.
Me and my husband (both 30) are travelling to New zealand for 15 days in February of 2014 and here is our itinerary -
Day 1 Start from Auckalnd -- to Waitomo Caves and then head to Rotorua (Stay here)
Day 2 Geothermal park and then if time permits - bungee and then to Taupo (Stay here)
Day 3 Tongariro crossing and back to Taupo (Stay here)
Day 4 Taupo to Napier (stay here)
Day 5 napier to wellington (stay)
Day 6 Wellington to christchurch - flight (stay)
Day 7 Christchurch to Greymouth via Tranzalpine and Punaikiki by road (Stay in Greymouth)
Day 8 Greymouth to Franz Joseph (Stay)
Day 9 Franz joseph glaciar tour (Stay)
Day 10 Franz joseph to queenstown (stay)
Day 11 Skydiving in Wanaka and stay in Queenstown
Day 12 Milford SOund (stay in queenstown)
Day 13 Wellington to Auckland by flight
The first 2 days are going to be spent with friends in Northland doing Bay of islands
Now the question is we want to do some self driving and do some bus travel and want to break it up. Which is the best island for self drive? Also looking for how difficult the roads are to drive on, can we stop anywhere on the way (on the side of the road obviously) when we see a beautiful spot? Would there be snow on any part of our ride?
From what we read, we were thinking of taking the bus in the northland and self drive in the South island from Greymouth to Queenstown. Or would you suggest the other way round?
Please help us decide if this is a good plan.
Recent ActivityView all Australia & the Pacific activity »
- 1 Pudding cups in New Zealand
- 2 Between a rock and a hard spot
- 3 Picton to Queenstown 6days
- 4 New Zealnd 17 days--North to Top of the South Itinerary
- 5 Gluten free Australia
- 6 In & Around Melbourne & Sydney
- 7 Uluru
- 8 bushwalking in the Blue Mountains
- 9 Where to stay overnight between Abel Tasman NP and Fox Glacier?
- 10 Cairns & Port Douglas
- 11 One week stay using Brisbane as starting base
- 12 Melbourne, GOR & Grampians
- 13 Brisbane to Sydney in 4-5 days! Itinerary help!
- 14 16 days in Australia
- 15 Sydney to Coffs Harbour in Jan with kids, 9 and 11
- 16 from Te Anau, NZ: fly to AKL from Invercargill or Queenstown?
- 17 25day planning for Australia
- 18 Going to Uluru - Is it worth it?
- 19 Help New Zealand
- 20 Snow ideas near Melbourne and Sydney
- 21 8 day trip to New Zealand
- 22 Hervey Bay Whales & Apartment
- 23 Private Tour Guides Australian Coast
- 24 Great Ocean Road
- 25 NEW ZEALAND 18 DAYS ITINERARY