I read a lot of forums but couldnt find an answer to what I was looking for. Maybe this post would help.
Me and my husband (both 30) are travelling to New zealand for 15 days in February of 2014 and here is our itinerary -
Day 1 Start from Auckalnd -- to Waitomo Caves and then head to Rotorua (Stay here)
Day 2 Geothermal park and then if time permits - bungee and then to Taupo (Stay here)
Day 3 Tongariro crossing and back to Taupo (Stay here)
Day 4 Taupo to Napier (stay here)
Day 5 napier to wellington (stay)
Day 6 Wellington to christchurch - flight (stay)
Day 7 Christchurch to Greymouth via Tranzalpine and Punaikiki by road (Stay in Greymouth)
Day 8 Greymouth to Franz Joseph (Stay)
Day 9 Franz joseph glaciar tour (Stay)
Day 10 Franz joseph to queenstown (stay)
Day 11 Skydiving in Wanaka and stay in Queenstown
Day 12 Milford SOund (stay in queenstown)
Day 13 Wellington to Auckland by flight
The first 2 days are going to be spent with friends in Northland doing Bay of islands
Now the question is we want to do some self driving and do some bus travel and want to break it up. Which is the best island for self drive? Also looking for how difficult the roads are to drive on, can we stop anywhere on the way (on the side of the road obviously) when we see a beautiful spot? Would there be snow on any part of our ride?
From what we read, we were thinking of taking the bus in the northland and self drive in the South island from Greymouth to Queenstown. Or would you suggest the other way round?
Please help us decide if this is a good plan.
Newzealand - break up self drive and bus travel
Recent ActivityView all Australia & the Pacific activity »
- 1 Ferry to Manly Beach
- 2 Currency in Australia and New Zealand
- 3 Paging Cathies
- 4 Byron Bay or ...
- 5 Our really quite big adventure, Act 3 - heaven and hell in Queensland
- 6 NZ vs Aust
- 7 Reasonable rental accommodation Sydney or surrounds!!
- 8 Playing Marbles with the Devil - AKA 2 weeks in the Northern Territory
- 9 Australia, Tasmania and New Zealand.
- 10 Weather in the Blue Mountains - mid September
- 11 Recommendations for travel on the Great Ocean Road
- 12 Joe Tro's Australia/LA trip report
- 13 Recommended transportation for the Blue Mountains
- 14 August week end in Auckland
- 15 28 days to campervan around australia
- 16 Changing terminals Sydney Airport
- 17 Wicked Weekend I Melbourne - too much fun!
- 18 5 days in Sydney: itinerary review
- 19 Sydney Weather in September
- 20 Go into the wild.. Go inland Australia
- 21 South Island Suggestions ...
- 22 Favorite things to do in Melbourne
- 23 A Long Weekend Escape to Pemberton, WA
- 24 Bora Bora---Snorkeling AT the resort??
- 25 Sydney-Airport to Hotel Transfer Companies