My husband and I will be in New Zealand and Sydney for our honeymoon in the first week of September. We are mostly interested in experiencing the beautiful nature of south island. We also want to spend a few days in Auckland and Sydney because we've heard great things about these 2 cities especially for coffee and craft beer. We are in our late 20's and have experiences in long day hikes and multi-day backpacking.
Day 1: Arrive in Auckland at 5:45am - Breakfast and hotel check in; explore Auckland (by public
Day 2: Fly from Auckland to Queenstown - explore Queenstown;
Day 3: Queenstown to Milford track: possibly by bus + boat or drive a rental car to Te Anau + boat to the
trail head; sleep in first hut
Day 4-7: Milford Track- Sleep in Te Anau or in Queenstown after the hike
Day 8: Queenstown - Winery and/or Sky diving (pick up a rental car if not done so on Day 2)
Day 9: Drive from Queenstown to Fox Glacier: Sky dive here if not done in QT; sleep in Fox Glacier
Day 10: Fox Glacier hike and then drive to Christchurch; sleep in Christchurch
Day 11: Fly from Christchurch to Sydney; return rental car at Christchurch airport
Day 12-13: Explore Sydney
Day 14: Fly back home from Sydney
Few things about the itinerary:
- The flights from Auckland-Queenstown and Christchurch to Sydney are already booked, but the rest of the itinerary can be flexible
- We really want to do a multi-day hike (or tramping to be more correct) to experience the wilderness.
Our biggest concern is the Milford Track in the off season. We realize the bridge along the trail has been removed and less resources in the huts. Also, there will a lot less transportation means available to the trail head. There aren't too many blogs covering this hike in the off season, so any advice or suggestion about the transportation, trail condition, hiking tips is much appreciated.
- We are still debating if we should leave out Fox Glacier but explore a different route between Queenstown and Christchurch. We learned from the forum that the drive to Fox Glacier is gorgeous and the glacier hike is a life-time experience, but the drive is long and we will miss out some highlights. Any advice?
Thanks for reading through this lengthy post. Your input is much appreciated!
Recent ActivityView all Australia & the Pacific activity »
- 1 AVAST☎ Password Reset CONTACT 1:800:681:7208 Technical SUPP0RT Care
- 2 New Zealand rough itinerary (wheelchair accessible)
- 3 Surprises in Australia
- 4 7-8 days in Australia, where do we go?
- 5 Would love your feedback on possible N.Z. itinerary
- 6 Need help on planning 14-15 days trip to Australia
- 7 2 days in Auckland
- 8 GBR - help me plan a perfect trip!
- 9 "Aerial New Zealand"
- 10 2 Nights in Blue moutain End June
- 11 South Australia in 2 weeks
- 12 5 nights in Sydney
- 13 New Zealand Itinerary Questions
- 14 Best places to travel in Australia
- 15 Planning a 12-day trip to NZ in November
- 16 Auckland Airport to Auckland City
- 17 Blue Mountains - Travel Report
- 18 16 Days on the South Island
- 19 Cook Islands for families
- 20 B&B in NZ
- 21 New Zealand 3 week itinerary
- 22 Suggestions needed for Australia itinerary
- 23 12 day Trip to NZ in Nov 2017
- 24 Bay of Islands Day tour?
- 25 Auckland hotels?