My husband and I will be in New Zealand and Sydney for our honeymoon in the first week of September. We are mostly interested in experiencing the beautiful nature of south island. We also want to spend a few days in Auckland and Sydney because we've heard great things about these 2 cities especially for coffee and craft beer. We are in our late 20's and have experiences in long day hikes and multi-day backpacking.
Day 1: Arrive in Auckland at 5:45am - Breakfast and hotel check in; explore Auckland (by public
Day 2: Fly from Auckland to Queenstown - explore Queenstown;
Day 3: Queenstown to Milford track: possibly by bus + boat or drive a rental car to Te Anau + boat to the
trail head; sleep in first hut
Day 4-7: Milford Track- Sleep in Te Anau or in Queenstown after the hike
Day 8: Queenstown - Winery and/or Sky diving (pick up a rental car if not done so on Day 2)
Day 9: Drive from Queenstown to Fox Glacier: Sky dive here if not done in QT; sleep in Fox Glacier
Day 10: Fox Glacier hike and then drive to Christchurch; sleep in Christchurch
Day 11: Fly from Christchurch to Sydney; return rental car at Christchurch airport
Day 12-13: Explore Sydney
Day 14: Fly back home from Sydney
Few things about the itinerary:
- The flights from Auckland-Queenstown and Christchurch to Sydney are already booked, but the rest of the itinerary can be flexible
- We really want to do a multi-day hike (or tramping to be more correct) to experience the wilderness.
Our biggest concern is the Milford Track in the off season. We realize the bridge along the trail has been removed and less resources in the huts. Also, there will a lot less transportation means available to the trail head. There aren't too many blogs covering this hike in the off season, so any advice or suggestion about the transportation, trail condition, hiking tips is much appreciated.
- We are still debating if we should leave out Fox Glacier but explore a different route between Queenstown and Christchurch. We learned from the forum that the drive to Fox Glacier is gorgeous and the glacier hike is a life-time experience, but the drive is long and we will miss out some highlights. Any advice?
Thanks for reading through this lengthy post. Your input is much appreciated!
Recent ActivityView all Australia & the Pacific activity »
- 1 바둑이사이트 c p s 33 . c o m
- 2 Queenstown to Christchurch in 3 days
- 3 NZ 1 week
- 4 New Zealand Fly Fishing Recommendations
- 5 Australia for two weeks.
- 6 7 months in Australia and New Zealand
- 7 Queenstown vs Christchurch
- 8 Port Douglas/ Snorkeling the Great Barrier Reef
- 9 SAMOA - Friendly and quirky destination
- 10 Franz Joseph and Fox Glacier
- 11 Milford Sound (Fly! Cruise! Fly!) - Travel Report
- 12 New Zealand South Island 15 Nights Itinerary
- 13 Palau Travel Report
- 14 Uluru the Outback Tour Day 1 - Travel Report
- 15 Uluru the Outback Tour Day 3 - Travel Report
- 16 Antarctica Penguin Disaster
- 17 Visa
- 18 Guam Travel Report
- 19 New Zealand Car Hire
- 20 Tasmania itinerary
- 21 McLaren Vale in South Australia as base for 4 days?
- 22 Research on Australian Tourism
- 23 Australia and NZ visit!
- 24 12 Days in S.I. NZ
- 25 The Waitomo Caves - Travel Report