Hello fellow travelers!
My husband and I are heading to the South Island for 3 weeks in March for our honeymoon. I posted the first version of our itinerary on here a couple months ago to a lot of great feedback (thanks Melnq8), and now that we’re less than 2 months away, I wanted to post our more thought-out version here to get your thoughts.
We have a pretty solid plan for the first half of the trip but we’re not sure how to structure the last couple of days. We’re in our late 20’s and plan to do a lot of hiking and camping (we’re bringing our tent – and yes, we have scrubbed it clean so hopefully it’ll get through customs ok!).
Mon 3/3 – Arrive Christchurch around 3pm. Overnight Christchurch.
Tues 3/4 – Pickup rental car, drive to Kaikoura via Hanmer Springs. Camp at Alpine Pacific Holiday Park (booked).
Wed 3/5 – overnight Blenheim (B&B booked)
Thurs 3/6 – overnight Blenheim (B&B booked)
Fri 3/7 – drive to Marahau with stop in Nelson, camp in Marahau
Sat 3/8 – full day hike or kayak in Abel Tasman, camp in Marahau
Sun 3/9 – drive to Greymouth
Mon 3/10 – drive to Franz Josef or Fox Glacier, do a glacier walk.
Tues 3/11 – drive Franz Josef to Wanaka
Wed 3/12 – overnight Wanaka. Is Wanaka a good base for hiking in Mt Aspiring? Or should we camp somewhere closer to the park?
Thurs 3/13 – hike, overnight Wanaka
Fri 3/14 – overnight Queenstown
Sat 3/15 – overnight Queenstown
Sun 3/16 – drive to Milford Sound, overnight at Milford Sound Lodge (booked)
Mon 3/17 – morning Milford Sound cruise, hike to Key Summit, overnight in Te Anau
Tues 3/18 – overnight Te Anau – any recommendation for a good day hike?
*This part of our itinerary is really rough so any advice is much appreciated. We’ll probably want to get in a hike near Mt Cook but we’ll also want to take it easy and maybe stay at nicer accommodations since it’s the last couple of days of our honeymoon.
Wed 3/19 – drive to Lake Tekapo area. In what town should we stay?
Thurs 3/20 – Mt Cook
Fri 3/21 - Mt Cook again?
Sat 3/22 – drive back to Christchurch, return rental car, explore
Sun 3/23 – early morning flight back to NYC
Let us know what you think! Thanks so much!
Recent ActivityView all Australia & the Pacific activity »
- 1 Christmas Day in Sydney
- 2 hotels Sydney Jan 10-15, 2017
- 3 Tara Elizabeth Buchanan - Best places to visit in Sydney
- 4 Perth, Margaret River, Albany loop
- 5 Help with NZ Travel
- 6 Christmas Day in Auckland
- 7 Bora Bora- April or/vs May+Agencies/Travel/Activites/Places to stay
- 8 NZ get off cruise and drive to QT/Fjorland?
- 9 Maasdam (Holland America) verse Golden Princess
- 10 Kaikoura roads update
- 11 Free Camping
- 12 New Zealand SI and Auckland
- 13 Driving Times South Island New Zealand
- 14 Clever, mischievous keas
- 15 New Zealand: Milford and Routeburn Tracks
- 16 NZ South Island Advice - Glaciers or Abel Tasman?
- 17 17 Days Around New Zealand South Island. My Jaw Dropped Everywhere I went!
- 18 Uluru the Outback Tour Day 3 - Travel Report
- 19 Uluru the Outback Tour Day 2 - Travel Report
- 20 Feedback on my 2 month OZ/NZ itin
- 21 Help with our 14-day NZ Itinerary
- 22 45-ish days Solo NZ Trip Report
- 23 Ohau Point Seal Colony destroyed
- 24 North or South after Perth in rental car?
- 25 Cheap and affordable car hire in port douglas
Hello fellow travelers!