Hello fellow travelers!
My husband and I are heading to the South Island for 3 weeks in March for our honeymoon. I posted the first version of our itinerary on here a couple months ago to a lot of great feedback (thanks Melnq8), and now that we’re less than 2 months away, I wanted to post our more thought-out version here to get your thoughts.
We have a pretty solid plan for the first half of the trip but we’re not sure how to structure the last couple of days. We’re in our late 20’s and plan to do a lot of hiking and camping (we’re bringing our tent – and yes, we have scrubbed it clean so hopefully it’ll get through customs ok!).
Mon 3/3 – Arrive Christchurch around 3pm. Overnight Christchurch.
Tues 3/4 – Pickup rental car, drive to Kaikoura via Hanmer Springs. Camp at Alpine Pacific Holiday Park (booked).
Wed 3/5 – overnight Blenheim (B&B booked)
Thurs 3/6 – overnight Blenheim (B&B booked)
Fri 3/7 – drive to Marahau with stop in Nelson, camp in Marahau
Sat 3/8 – full day hike or kayak in Abel Tasman, camp in Marahau
Sun 3/9 – drive to Greymouth
Mon 3/10 – drive to Franz Josef or Fox Glacier, do a glacier walk.
Tues 3/11 – drive Franz Josef to Wanaka
Wed 3/12 – overnight Wanaka. Is Wanaka a good base for hiking in Mt Aspiring? Or should we camp somewhere closer to the park?
Thurs 3/13 – hike, overnight Wanaka
Fri 3/14 – overnight Queenstown
Sat 3/15 – overnight Queenstown
Sun 3/16 – drive to Milford Sound, overnight at Milford Sound Lodge (booked)
Mon 3/17 – morning Milford Sound cruise, hike to Key Summit, overnight in Te Anau
Tues 3/18 – overnight Te Anau – any recommendation for a good day hike?
*This part of our itinerary is really rough so any advice is much appreciated. We’ll probably want to get in a hike near Mt Cook but we’ll also want to take it easy and maybe stay at nicer accommodations since it’s the last couple of days of our honeymoon.
Wed 3/19 – drive to Lake Tekapo area. In what town should we stay?
Thurs 3/20 – Mt Cook
Fri 3/21 - Mt Cook again?
Sat 3/22 – drive back to Christchurch, return rental car, explore
Sun 3/23 – early morning flight back to NYC
Let us know what you think! Thanks so much!
Recent ActivityView all Australia & the Pacific activity »
- 1 14 day South NZ Trip
- 2 6 days Queenstown (NZ) itineary suggestion????
- 3 GOR & Otway zipline together
- 4 First time in NZ. Need advice on Dec trip itinerary pls.
- 5 New Zealand and Australia at last!
- 6 Aurora dazzles Kiwis
- 7 One-day hike in Milford area
- 8 Gold Coast - places to visit and stay
- 9 Best national park around Sydney
- 10 1 night stay around GOR
- 11 7 days in New Zealand
- 12 NZ: Northland & Bay of Islands 10 days
- 13 NZ repeat visitors
- 14 Looking for tour for 30 something's
- 15 South Island Suggestions
- 16 Best spot for first time SCUBA
- 17 Fairly easy cycling on the South Island
- 18 Trip to Bora Bora Australia in January
- 19 Oz air carrier recommendation
- 20 Challenges of readying Christchurch-Kaikoura-Picton road by Xmas
- 21 NYTimes: trouble along the Great Barrier Reef
- 22 New Zealand Car Rental
- 23 Sun, sandflies & sauvignon blanc: A short trip to the spectacular NZ SI
- 24 What exactly is a NZ sound?
- 25 4 weeks in New Zealand
Hello fellow travelers!