Hello fellow travelers!
My husband and I are heading to the South Island for 3 weeks in March for our honeymoon. I posted the first version of our itinerary on here a couple months ago to a lot of great feedback (thanks Melnq8), and now that we’re less than 2 months away, I wanted to post our more thought-out version here to get your thoughts.
We have a pretty solid plan for the first half of the trip but we’re not sure how to structure the last couple of days. We’re in our late 20’s and plan to do a lot of hiking and camping (we’re bringing our tent – and yes, we have scrubbed it clean so hopefully it’ll get through customs ok!).
Mon 3/3 – Arrive Christchurch around 3pm. Overnight Christchurch.
Tues 3/4 – Pickup rental car, drive to Kaikoura via Hanmer Springs. Camp at Alpine Pacific Holiday Park (booked).
Wed 3/5 – overnight Blenheim (B&B booked)
Thurs 3/6 – overnight Blenheim (B&B booked)
Fri 3/7 – drive to Marahau with stop in Nelson, camp in Marahau
Sat 3/8 – full day hike or kayak in Abel Tasman, camp in Marahau
Sun 3/9 – drive to Greymouth
Mon 3/10 – drive to Franz Josef or Fox Glacier, do a glacier walk.
Tues 3/11 – drive Franz Josef to Wanaka
Wed 3/12 – overnight Wanaka. Is Wanaka a good base for hiking in Mt Aspiring? Or should we camp somewhere closer to the park?
Thurs 3/13 – hike, overnight Wanaka
Fri 3/14 – overnight Queenstown
Sat 3/15 – overnight Queenstown
Sun 3/16 – drive to Milford Sound, overnight at Milford Sound Lodge (booked)
Mon 3/17 – morning Milford Sound cruise, hike to Key Summit, overnight in Te Anau
Tues 3/18 – overnight Te Anau – any recommendation for a good day hike?
*This part of our itinerary is really rough so any advice is much appreciated. We’ll probably want to get in a hike near Mt Cook but we’ll also want to take it easy and maybe stay at nicer accommodations since it’s the last couple of days of our honeymoon.
Wed 3/19 – drive to Lake Tekapo area. In what town should we stay?
Thurs 3/20 – Mt Cook
Fri 3/21 - Mt Cook again?
Sat 3/22 – drive back to Christchurch, return rental car, explore
Sun 3/23 – early morning flight back to NYC
Let us know what you think! Thanks so much!
Recent ActivityView all Australia & the Pacific activity »
- 1 피쉬바둑이 c p s 33 . c o m
- 2 바둑이사이트 c p s 33 . c o m
- 3 사다리분석 c p s 33 . c o m
- 4 Perfecting my NZ Itinerary
- 5 Add Mt Cook or not.
- 6 Sydney Airport Transportation Suggestions
- 7 New Zealand- 4 days Auckland with 2 year old)
- 8 Western Australia (Denmark and New Norcia)
- 9 Itinerary questions on dream holiday
- 10 Gariwerd - The Grampians
- 11 Real estate question
- 12 Moonee Valley, Caulfield, or other track
- 13 Food to Try Out
- 14 Whale Watching - Port Stephens NSW vs. Hervey Bay QLD
- 15 Queenstown-Mt Cook road
- 16 7 night NZ, south island for active couple
- 17 Wainui Falls
- 18 18 Days tentative NZ Itinerary help
- 19 Sydney Neighborhood for Nightlight and Sightseeing
- 20 Come join me on Rapa Nui, or Easter Island...
- 21 More authentic experience of Maori culture
- 22 Day trips from Wellington
- 23 2-week NZ Itinerary Questions
- 24 Agrodome Farm Tour
- 25 Recommended length of time for mother to visit me in NZ?
Hello fellow travelers!